homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Mansplaining (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mansplaining
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rant: Mansplaining. Never the obvious, egotistical version, but the more subtle, insidious kind. The mansplainer probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, since he can, in his better moments, be quite generous in acknowledging ones greater experience and expertise. But then-- perhaps out of habit-- there's those emails that just "express concern" that essentially you freakin' don't know what the hell you are doing, even though you've got a track record a mile long of successfully starting new ministries while he's the new kid on the block. So of course, out of the goodness of his heart, he has to explain all those things that could go wrong that I obviously didn't think of (even though that's my area of expertise) and did I think about ministry priorities and budget and so forth? He has a friend who does this and he said it was hard, so perhaps a teeny little girl like you ought not to be trying this. All said with so much love of course, with that caveat of "I hope you don't think I'm being negative..."

I want to call him on it, but then he'll be hurt but I'm too sensitive (aren't all females?) and prickly. All so very very passive aggressive, and I never know what to do with these sorts of obtuse passive-aggressive irritants. Maybe not deserving of the full-on, fire-and-brimstone, burning-for-all-eternity hell, but surely there should be some junior hell somewhere?

[Mad]

[ 30. September 2017, 00:03: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Mansplainer,

Please don't be concerned, I can tell you're worried about all the changes coming up, and I completely understand. As I recall back in the day when I was first doing things of this kind, I used to get a bit flustered myself.

Rest assured, all the problems that you're anticipating have either already been dealt with or will be easily handled along the way.

Many thanks for caring so much, but there's no need for hysteria or panic. Try to stay calm and trust that it will all work out.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, more or less what I emailed thru gritted teeth.

Mostly he's a decent guy who will, when he's on his game, be really appreciative of my skills and experience. Then he'll fall back into what I'm guessing is a long-ingrained habit. But my fear is that that is what comes out when he's talking about me when I'm not there-- when some church member asks about the new ministry I'm spearheading (that over 1/3 of the congregation has already signed on to be a part of) does he express that same sort of gee-I-sure-hope-the-sky-doesn't-fall-in trepidation? Or when others express concerns does he give the complementary overreaction: "Oh, don't mention that to cliffdweller, you know how sensitive she is about any well-meaning suggestions..."

more [Mad]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this is your thread, so I won't hi-jack it with recent [Mad] similar incidents [Mad] from my own life. I'll just say I begin to think that mansplainers may be people I'll need to avoid from here on out in my life. I do not want to spend my dotage in prison.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Well, this is your thread, so I won't hi-jack it with recent [Mad] similar incidents [Mad] from my own life. I'll just say I begin to think that mansplainers may be people I'll need to avoid from here on out in my life. I do not want to spend my dotage in prison.

Oh this is an pen access rant space so feel to let loose! I've got a feeling I'll resonate!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Oldsplaining then? I dislike it almost as much as mansplaining. I respect experience, but age does not automatically confer this, especially for something one has never done. All age inherently adds is the statistical nearness of death. Add manspaining on top of oldsplaining and one just might also increase the odds of the nearness of a boot to the bum.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, a lone mansplainer, dolloping out his 'splaining with clumsy smears. He wouldn't even rank among the mansplaining league at my office.

This is a difficult topic for me. Partially because of how problematic culture change is in a multinational engineering organization. But also because I know more than everybody else and feel a continuous need to explain that to them. And these stupid, petty mansplainers leave their sexist odour everywhere such that it taints my wholesome and equally-dispensed intellectual elitism.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook--

Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that...
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can fall into mansplaining without knowing it very easily. My main problem is when discussions about the law come up, as that's something I practised last century. So many times I have told my wife, a skilled and practising lawyer about this or that aspect of litigation. I've even purported to tell her about family law, the area of her specialty in which I have worked on a total of one file more than 20 years ago.

I think the problem is: 1. An innate sense of being the one who knows things;
2. A sense that you are giving the comunicatee the gift of your expertise; and
3. You are just used to people being impressed with you and praising you.

Hmmm. Am I mansplaining mansplaining?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a dogsplainer [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I'm a dogsplainer [Big Grin]

[Overused] [Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
Human

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you fancy mansplainer detox therapy try the episode of Rev where Abby turns up with her natural God given talents and Adam struggles with it big time. It's funny but may not cross the Pond well.

Some males feel the need to patronise females-- tedious fact. How can the after effects of 3 millennia of male superiority be completely swept in just a handful of decades.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turning the tables on men, for a couple of years, so they can see what it's like?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think us females always help the situation.

I do the AV at Church, and I'm good at it. One bloke loves to tell me how to do stuff I was doing ten years ago (it's all new to him). What do I do? I kindly listen and 'learn'.

A bit like fake orgasms, it's the easier route [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

[Killing me]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a recent article in the New Yorker Why Facts Don't Change Our Minds. Hopefully it will not be behind a pay wall, because it is pretty interesting.

Essentially, once we are told we understand something, we will always believe we understand it better than anyone else, even if we are as full of shit as a Christmas Turkey.

Whoever this junior genius is has three significant handicaps:

He is a guy in a culture that tends to teach guys they are more capable than women.

He is young and has not yet had his head beaten in by experience enough to have any real humility.

He appears to be (at least relatively) fresh out of the box of being educated so he thinks he knows it all better than someone who has not been educated as well as he has. (In his humble opinion.)

Given time, and the polishing of experience in being wrong, he may turn out to be OK. He may even be an earnest soul who is potentially capable of learning.

As for when he starts mansplaining, you might be honest with him and tell him he is coming off as a bit condescending. If he tells you that you are being too sensitive, it is a reflection of his being callow. At that point you might feel free to tell him you have actual work to do instead of learning from the true master and maybe he could come back when you don't have any work to do - like say 2028 or so.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
If you fancy mansplainer detox therapy try the episode of Rev where Abby turns up with her natural God given talents and Adam struggles with it big time. It's funny but may not cross the Pond well.

Some males feel the need to patronise females-- tedious fact. How can the after effects of 3 millennia of male superiority be completely swept in just a handful of decades.

3? 300

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I think having it pointed out to you by a woman who loves you helps. Well, it helped me at least, in that it raised my consciousness.

--------------------
Human

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I don't think us females always help the situation.

I do the AV at Church, and I'm good at it. One bloke loves to tell me how to do stuff I was doing ten years ago (it's all new to him). What do I do? I kindly listen and 'learn'.

A bit like fake orgasms, it's the easier route [Roll Eyes]

[Yipee]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

Whoever this junior genius is has three significant handicaps:

He is a guy in a culture that tends to teach guys they are more capable than women.

He is young and has not yet had his head beaten in by experience enough to have any real humility.

He appears to be (at least relatively) fresh out of the box of being educated so he thinks he knows it all better than someone who has not been educated as well as he has. (In his humble opinion.)

Given time, and the polishing of experience in being wrong, he may turn out to be OK. He may even be an earnest soul who is potentially capable of learning.

As for when he starts mansplaining, you might be honest with him and tell him he is coming off as a bit condescending. If he tells you that you are being too sensitive, it is a reflection of his being callow. At that point you might feel free to tell him you have actual work to do instead of learning from the true master and maybe he could come back when you don't have any work to do - like say 2028 or so.

Actually he's not young-- same age as me. But he's new to professional ministry whereas I've been doing it since Moses. He's retired from a successful business career, which I think adds to the mix-- there's this whole tendency to think "smart businessmen" know so much more about, well, everything, than us head-in-the- clouds clergy. Experience has shown me otherwise, a lot of "smart businessmen" would faint dead away if they had to deal with the fiscal, practical, and relational issues we have to deal with every day. But they're pumped up by adoring churches convinced they're Gods gift to ecclesia. "Businessplaining" I guess

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I read a recent article in the New Yorker Why Facts Don't Change Our Minds. Hopefully it will not be behind a pay wall, because it is pretty interesting.

Great article! It explains so much.

It's main point is that it's terribly hard to un-learn things, even after being confronted with newer, better information, proving the old stuff false. (When I think of all the crap I learned in high-school, etc.)

It also ties in with something I read recently that says the reason so many men are reluctant to help with the housework is they think they aren't good at it. This article talks about people thinking they know how a toilet works until the moment they're asked to explain it. Many men think something like cleaning the kitchen is simple until they set out to do it and then they feel stupid when they, maybe, mop before sweeping. They might even end up having to sit still for some woman-splaining. The worst.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
He's retired from a successful business career, which I think adds to the mix

This is a common myth, hence the current POTUS.
Another factor, with no connection to the current POTUS, is intelligence. If one is genuinely very intelligent and used to being correct, it can be difficult for to see when one is not. A friend of mine who is intelligent, knowledgeable and reasons things through sometimes suffers this fault. Fortunately, he is not unbending.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned is that it is a good thing to admit it when you are wrong; not only to other people, but yourself as well.

So, cliffdweller, I was wrong about this guy being young. He appears to just be young at head.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that mansplaining needs stamping out. I have caught myself mansplaining and been caught out mansplaining by women who cared enough about me to point out what I was doing without either shutting me off, or attacking me. Which is probably above and beyond the call of duty for them, and I am thankful.

Sadly I have also been accused of mansplaining when I was not -- I was trying to explain my point of view, not explain to somebody else what they should do or something they already know. It totally shut down the conversation. If I tried to explain why I didn't believe what I was doing was mansplaining, THAT would be tagged as mansplaining. At that point the conversation was over.

Mansplaining is a powerful concept that can shine a light on a ugly, abusive behavior. It needs to not be misused.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very good at admitting I'm wrong, as I'm so often wrong - plenty of practice!

As people are fond of telling me.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can learn new languages. But I speak with an accent because of all my previous learning. Which means I mustn't much talk unless asked. Mostly it's harder to listen my way into trouble than talking my way in.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight:
quote:
It also ties in with something I read recently that says the reason so many men are reluctant to help with the housework is they think they aren't good at it.
No, this is known as selective incompetence. It disappears as soon as the man in question is presented with a new task to learn that he is actually interested in, and explains why most of them are experts at recording TV programs and setting up new hi-fi equipment but are overcome with fear of 'making a mistake' when asked to turn on the washing machine...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
One of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned is that it is a good thing to admit it when you are wrong; not only to other people, but yourself as well.

So, cliffdweller, I was wrong about this guy being young. He appears to just be young at head.

Perfectly reasonable given the facts I disclosed. I actually get a lot more respect from younger male clergy, who have been raised in more egalitarian cultures/households and are more used to having women in positions of authority. In this particular case, I think this specific mansplainer gets the issue in theory-- as I said, on a good day he can be quite supportive and even name the assets I bring to the table. I suspect it's decades of habit that get in the way, so his age is probably working against him.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I understand that mansplaining needs stamping out. I have caught myself mansplaining and been caught out mansplaining by women who cared enough about me to point out what I was doing without either shutting me off, or attacking me. Which is probably above and beyond the call of duty for them, and I am thankful.

Sadly I have also been accused of mansplaining when I was not -- I was trying to explain my point of view, not explain to somebody else what they should do or something they already know. It totally shut down the conversation. If I tried to explain why I didn't believe what I was doing was mansplaining, THAT would be tagged as mansplaining. At that point the conversation was over.

Mansplaining is a powerful concept that can shine a light on a ugly, abusive behavior. It needs to not be misused.

Agreed. A problem that extends to other areas as well.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife is a world expert in something that doesn't really matter outside of the field she works in.

When she has time she sometimes attends a local group which meets in a pub and is related to it.

Anyway, it so happens that on one occasion I went to the group (I was carrying the groceries or something) and sat in the corner whilst everyone else was talking shop.

This one man started talking to the group and directly to my wife about something really basic. It was fairly clear, even to me* about the subject that he was talking to my wife as if she didn't even have an undergraduate level understanding of the topic. The funny thing was that other people at the event knew who my wife was and were trying to stop this chap continuing to talk to my wife like she was an idiot, but he was carrying on totally oblivious to it.

In conversation afterwards I learned that this happens a lot, despite her job, her international recognition, etc etc etc.

I concluded, once again, that my wife is a far far better person than I am.

*I know next-to-nothing about it and they use a lot of jargon

[ 30. September 2017, 15:41: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Mr Cheesy, I love your wife already, and want to be her when I grow up.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Mr Cheesy, I love your wife already, and want to be her when I grow up.

Me too. She's a workaholic but she's also the best person I know.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Anyway, my main point rather than blubbering on about my wife, is that we men need reminding that sometimes women know a lot more than we give them credit for.

It is fair to say that everyone makes mistakes and makes erroneous initial judgments about other people. But it seems particularly to be men who assume that because someone else is short and female, they cannot possibly know anything.

If one is around beery men who are used to holding fort and is a small, quiet-voiced female, it seems that one has to be very firm to be noticed at all.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Oh dear, sorry. I think I might have just been mansplaining mansplaining.

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Oh dear, sorry. I think I might have just been mansplaining mansplaining.

Well, but you were mansplaining it to men, which might be an effective object lesson.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend told me about a friend of his who was a PhD in physics and coincidentally a conventionally gorgeous blonde bombshell. She liked to go to conferences and sit in the front row on the arm of a man, and when the (male) presenter asked for questions she would demurely put a hand up and ask about some arcane bit of reasoning in his presentation.

When he started getting all "now little lady don't worry your pretty head" she would ask if she could come to the board, and then rip his reasoning to shreds and jump on his inconsistencies and mistakes with both feet, and basically hand him his head.

Some, I suppose, would say that was unkind or unprofessional behavior. I wish I could have been there at least once.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Females can sometimes overcompensate when breaking into what is generally viewed to be a man's domain.

I used to notice this when driving on single track roads 15 years or so ago. Heading towards me, hogging the road and expecting me to make way would often be an aggressive overcompensatory female.
I'm happy to report, from my tiny eyewitness sampling, that this is generally no longer the case. In fact even male drivers seem more courteous. See how quickly evolution and the behaviour of the herd will, when left to it's own devices, adjust to a new situation.

( Oh, and yes, you were right Martin. 300,000 years would indeed take us back to--- 'Hello, I'm Og the Caveman, I am superior and I know best' )

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Couldn't it just be that that particular driver was just a bitch, like the men drivers you say do it less also? You may be reading "overcompensating" into a situation that's just a nasty person being nasty.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Females can sometimes overcompensate when breaking into what is generally viewed to be a man's domain.

Of course this is also true. Women do not somehow have a magic aura of competence.

Dunning–Kruger is a general affect that seems to apply to people in all walks of life.

--------------------
arse

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How was driving in 2002 a "man's domain" in the industrialised west rolyn ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, it could be that rolyn was being a dick.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is knocked over by a passing feather

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Perhaps this took place in Riyadh?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IME, when a mixed-sex couple drives somewhere, it is significantly more common for the man to drive. Women driving cars is normal, of course. Women driving a car with an adult man in the passenger's seat are fairly rare on roads around here.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if we can add Mumsplaining to the list?

Take a crying baby into a public place and sooner or later a woman of a certain age will feel it necessary to impart the benefit of her immense wisdom:

'Do you think he could be hungry?'

GOSH I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO FEED THEM I THOUGHT THEY JUST PHOTOSYNTHESISED IN THE SUNLIGHT

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A man with a baby. Oh dear Lord, the amount of unsolicited advice I got from well-meaning women... I can't look after children, I don't have ovaries!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel for you in your dilemma, Cliffdweller. My father-in-law is a mansplainer extraordinaire, which is frequently face-meltingly frustrating, particularly given that he's a completely lovely person and in no way a chauvinist pig. His wife (i.e.: my mother-in-law) is basically a genius, who speaks a completely ridiculous number of languages. I'm guessing they've evolved a sort of symbiosis over time - she accepts being mansplained to and says 'yes dear' a great deal, he is the acknowledged expert on anything practical, and all his bustling the place around affords her more time to sit and read books. This is all in great contrast to my own father, several years gone now, who strutted around being all 'head of the household' (in theory) while my much more practical mother actually ran the show. Despite absolutely decrying feminism, (in theory) he'll have my eternal gratitude for always engaging with me as just another person, no more, no less, whenever we sparred over some issue, which was very frequently, to our mutual satisfaction. God, I miss him.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

IME, when a mixed-sex couple drives somewhere, it is significantly more common for the man to drive. Women driving cars is normal, of course. Women driving a car with an adult man in the passenger's seat are fairly rare on roads around here.
Ok, hands up, my timeline as with the millennia gaff was a bit wonky.
Round here, admittedly a timewarped rural backwater, through 70s and 80s female drivers were a growing minority and generally viewed as timid drivers.
The Jurassic turned into Cretaceous with the 90s bringing on more confident women drivers. Then at the turn of the Century it was like 'WTf ?' . A new breed had appear who seemed, yes wonderful at taking their vehicle through the tightest of gaps between oncomer and hedge, but totally oblivious to the concept of passing places.

A couple of letters appeared in the local rags around the same time so it wasn't just me having a bitch.

For the record, apart from driving at work, I am chauffeured by my female partner who is herself rather, shall we say, direct. Amusing then when two of similar hue meet on a narrow lane.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

And your explanation for aggressive driving by men is ?

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

You can't post about "women drivers" in a thread about mainsplaining without intending to be provocative. It's like threatening to nuke Guam: the intention is to cause trouble.

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016