homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Mansplaining (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mansplaining
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
I once had the sublime experience of standing on deck aboard a schooner, listening to a man with a degree in Physics explain to the captain of said schooner how tacking into the wind isn't actually possible - while she was doing it... [Ultra confused]

Less sublime, I admit, but I once had the exquisite pleasure of accepting in person a Reader's Choice Award sent through the mail to Mr. X. Y. Ohher from a major science fiction magazine.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 261 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Well, an electric Porsche will result in fewer over-priced parts to pay for, so that is a plus.
Electric, really? I though we were talking about cars and driving.

Oh, I see. You've never had the Porsche experience. Or a real electric drive experience. That's the only explanation I can see for the massive bout of carsplaining you're begging for.

'90's Porsche, but still a Porsche. Meh. I've heard the newer ones are better, but no one is willing to let me drive theirs.
I've no doubt the Porsche electric would be a fun vehicle. But it is just too close to being one of these.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16963 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HIM, ernest clergyman: "Ah, Rev Rowen... I am so pleased to be here at your induction service. I am also a minister in your denomination, from several parishes over. This is a big event for you. Ministry must be very exciting for you. And confusing. You will soon get the hang of it. I have been a minister now for six years, so if you need advice , come and see me. Your first task here will be to meet the people and learn their names... So, been a minister long?""

ME, the woman clergy: "27 years."

I labeled it as mansplaining in my head....

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4895 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phone rings.
"May i speak to Dr. Lamb, please?"
"Speaking. How may i help you?"
(Condescendingly) "No, i meant DOCTOR Lamb."
(With an edge in my voice) "SPEAKING. HOW MAY I HELP YOU?"
"I mean REVEREND Dr. Lamb."
"This is Dr. Lamb. I will be happy to get Rev. Lamb for you now."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The incidents in the previous two posts are edging towards "Who's On First?" (MetroLyrics).

Audio and video here.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17994 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Phone rings.
"May i speak to Dr. Lamb, please?"
"Speaking. How may i help you?"
(Condescendingly) "No, i meant DOCTOR Lamb."
(With an edge in my voice) "SPEAKING. HOW MAY I HELP YOU?"
"I mean REVEREND Dr. Lamb."
"This is Dr. Lamb. I will be happy to get Rev. Lamb for you now."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

<confused coquette voice> The Reverend Doctor Lamb? There is no person with that title at this number. Please call again. <click>

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63126 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I did coin the term Saisbonio* to describe the phenomenon of an Englishman telling a Welshman why he's wrong about Wales, Welsh culture or the language.

*From Sais - Englishman, and Esbonio, to explain.

In the Welsh Assembly that's simple known as "Neil Hamilton"
All true. Quick and near-certain route to the Promised land.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24011 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to watch crap TV (home makeover shows etc) whilst ironing my husband's shirts. He used to explain that I'd rot my brain watching such rubbish, and say that he would never risk his own mighty brain by watching inane T.V. Eventually I realised that I was losing my husband's respect by watching mindless drivel whilst ironing his shirts. But I knew that I was incapable of watching anything intellectually challenging and ironing at the same time.

So I stopped ironing his shirts.

His mighty brain had genuinely not anticipated that as a solution to the problem. [Disappointed]

Posts: 6362 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ--

ROTFL! Well done!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17994 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I used to watch crap TV (home makeover shows etc) whilst ironing my husband's shirts. He used to explain that I'd rot my brain watching such rubbish, and say that he would never risk his own mighty brain by watching inane T.V. Eventually I realised that I was losing my husband's respect by watching mindless drivel whilst ironing his shirts. But I knew that I was incapable of watching anything intellectually challenging and ironing at the same time.

So I stopped ironing his shirts.

His mighty brain had genuinely not anticipated that as a solution to the problem. [Disappointed]

Love the sass, but I am curious-- what is this "ironing" of which you speak?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Perhaps it involves rolling clothing into a tight little ball, and hitting it with a golf club/iron?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
I stopped ironing his shirts.

It's derived from "irony", you know, that weird British thing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24011 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SS [Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1381 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

It's derived from "irony", you know, that weird British thing.
well done.
[Overused]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11087 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Overused] [Axe murder]
Posts: 2760 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I regard wrinkles as a fashion statement. (You are free to decide for yourself just what that statement might be.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14683 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016