homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » "Christian Concern" bunch of wankers (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Christian Concern" bunch of wankers
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
Or would it make any difference in your worldview if the Bible and christianity did not exist at all. I´m pretty sure that liberal christians would believe the same things they do even if they have never heard of the bible or christianity at all. Because a liberal christian thinks the same as a liberal atheist, except for having the habit of going to church a few times a year.

I've no idea what you're on about. This liberal Christian disagrees on quite a few points with the atheists I know. I believe in a God who created and continues to sustain all things, and will make all things perfect at the end of time. I believe that God calls us to love our neighbour, to love Him, with all that we have. That may end up with my agreeing with my atheist friends about what we should do, it means I work with anyone who wants to promote economic, social and environmental justice. But, the motivation is different, it's to work towards the perfection that I believe God is working for. It gives confidence that we're fighting a battle that we'll ultimately win - even if I don't live to see it.

Oh, and unlike my atheist friends who spend their Sundays relaxing, or out on the streets doing something active towards furthering the goals of justice (eg: some friends have spent their entire weekends the last few weeks campaigning to have someone elected). I spend every Sunday in church, and regularly preach sermons rooted in the Scriptures - echoing the call of God to bring justice to the whole world.

Now, do you have something constructive to add. Or are you just going to continue posting ignorant idiocy, echoing the bollocks of the the likes of so-called "Christian Concern", showing yourself to be acting neither as a Christian nor with concern for your neighbours?

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32189 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[A] liberal christian thinks the same as a liberal atheist, except for having the habit of going to church a few times a year.

That's a flat-out lie and you should be ashamed for bearing false witness against your neighbor.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63202 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Isn't there some wicked poofter queen tranny you can go and hate? Rather than pissing your bile here as usual.

Have pity on this poor person. At least the bile is diluted in here. We only have to take a small percentage each.
As someone who has had his gall bladder removed, and therefore among the bile challenged, I am offended by the bile references here.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gorpo - do you believe same sex marriages should be legal? Simple yes or no will do. Then we'll find out whether you seek to deny them their rights.

As regards your bollocks on the transgender issue, I'll believe transgender people themselves over you, when they tell me transition has been to their benefit and suicidal thoughts are linked to being trapped in their gender assigned at birth, not to living as their self-identitied gender.

If I had a problem with Christianity I'd not bother with church tomorrow, nor the various theological issues I wrestle with on here. Your problem is that you think only conservative evangelicalism is the real deal.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17718 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
gorpo--

quote:
You don´t defend gay and transgender people. You only use them in order to attack traditional christianity. Otherwise, you´d be doing your best in order to lead them to Christ. Progressive "christians" are not concerned with leading the LGBT into the churches. They are concerned with expelling evangelicals and conservatives out of it, in order to have bigger control.

Er, why do you assume that trans folks aren't Christians? And LGB folks, too?

I don't think being LGBT is sinful. But, even if it were, (news flash) Christians sin, too.

If, as I think, being trans means having a very difficult medical condition that other people don't understand, that doesn't bar them from being Christians, either.

If anything is holding non-Christian LGBT folks back from Christianity (if they're interested in it), it's the horrible ways they've been treated by many Christians and official Christianity.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18174 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
If anything is holding non-Christian LGBT folks back from Christianity (if they're interested in it), it's the horrible ways they've been treated by many Christians and official Christianity.

This. This with a double heaping of this on the side, with sauce of thisness.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I don't think that just applies to non-Christian LGBT people.

You look at some of the hate filled crap that comes out of some sections of the church and kind of wonder what you're doing in the same ballpark as people who think like that ... All those church services don't seem to have taught them much.

[ 27. November 2017, 11:34: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12659 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most Christians like to focus on certain bits of the Bible and not others.

Liberals tend to focus on serving the rejected and on the example of Jesus as counter-cultural and a healer, seeing God as loving and forgiving. They don't like judgment or hell. Although they may make an exception for judging conservatives although without predictions of hell for them.

Conservatives hone in on the parts that give a strict road map of don'ts and dos for living a righteous life, especially sexual don'ts (don't be gay or promiscuous, don't have abortions) and hierarchical dos (do obey God, the Bible, your dad, your husband, your pastor) and be ready for judgment if you don't obey. Not too big on tolerance of known and named sinners who leave the road map, who are surely hell-bound unless they repent. (Roy Moore is an exception.)

I pick and choose as much as most people. Of course, I choose the right parts. [Angel]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21310 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
You look at some of the hate filled crap that comes out of some sections of the church and kind of wonder what you're doing in the same ballpark as people who think like that ... All those church services don't seem to have taught them much.

On the contrary. That's where they learned it.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of which points to the pitfalls of accepting the bible in its current form.

There is a good case to be made for having a (Christian) bible that contains the OT (as accepted in the time of Christ) plus the gospels and nothing else. The epistles, it could be argued, are interpretative writings largely written by a man who never met Christ and who, moreover, could be said to have batted for the other side when Christ was around.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4720 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather I think it points to the necessity of recognising the primacy of the gospels. There's a reason we just read the OT and Epistle, but we process, cense if we're into that sort of thing, and stand for the gospel.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17718 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Wow. Yep.

Gorpo complaining about liberal Christians not trying to get the LGBT into the churches? That's rich. Seeing as "Christians" like gorpo (oh look, I can use scare quotes too) are focused on pushing the LGBT out of the churches.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18147 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Oh, I don't pretend they're not a problem at all. Christian Concern are a real problem, making Christians look like a bunch of prejudiced bigots who have it in for anyone who's not straight and cisgender. But from my reading of your posts, that's what you want. You see gay and transgender people as fundamentally bad, and think it's fine to deny them their rights. And that is the problem.

When will you accept that you have a problem with christianity, and not with a particular interpretation of it?

Wouldn´t it be a lot more honest from you to admit you hate christianity, and therefore, the more one church departs from christian beliefs, the better for you.

I don´t hate gay and transgender people, period.

I don´t deny their rights, period. And if someone does, I´ll do my best to defend them.

You don´t defend gay and transgender people. You only use them in order to attack traditional christianity. Otherwise, you´d be doing your best in order to lead them to Christ. Progressive "christians" are not concerned with leading the LGBT into the churches. They are concerned with expelling evangelicals and conservatives out of it, in order to have bigger control.

The last few days have been quite educational. I hadn't realised until now what a fuckwit you are.

I shall add you to the list.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18147 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

On the contrary. That's where they learned it.
Fair point.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12659 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016