homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Campaign for Real News (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Campaign for Real News
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many important issues and events in the world.

100,000 people evacuated from near a volcano.

Terrorist attacks killing hundreds of people on a regular basis.

Refugees drowning in the Med.

The UK government destroying the country. President Trump looking like a rank amateur in comparison.

Regular mass murder in the US.

etc. etc. etc.

And what do we have? Extended news coverage because two young people decide to get married.

Come on newsrooms, get real.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was me thinking this was about the investigations into the way the news is being influenced by Russian controlled social media accounts.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it this is about Megan and Harry?

Have you read Terry Pratchett's novel "The Truth"? It's about the very first newspaper that starts up in Ankh-Morpork. (Partly inspired, I think, by William Randolph Hearst, head of an American newspaper-publishing family.)

Anyway, it takes some time to figure out what the A-M folks want to read. Someone says that people want to read "olds", not "news". Helps reinforce their view of reality, and makes them feel comfortable.

Good book, BTW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
And there was me thinking this was about the investigations into the way the news is being influenced by Russian controlled social media accounts.

Ah, but that's Real News. International political shenanigans that affects real lives ... hoodwinking people into voting Leave or Trump to the detriment of their own nation but the advantage of Russia. The BBC spending half an hour of their flagship news programme on revealing how we've been lied to would be very welcome.

[ 28. November 2017, 09:00: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or that a mere 21 minutes after the engagement announcement, HM government took another £300 off of those on benefits.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bread and circuses

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And pretty horrific racism

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The royal engagement is a pretty minor offender in this league.

I read the BBC's page on the UK papers' front pages most days, and it's really depressing. Admittedly today's are plastered with royals, but most of the coverage is usually about the antics of reality TV contestants of one form or another. Bake offs, dancing, and islands I've never heard of.

When it's not about how x cups of y beverage a day will give you cancer / help you live longer / prevent dementia / hasten memory loss (that's the range of outcomes for the same beverage, rotated regularly).

This really is a UK-specific blight.

[ 28. November 2017, 09:31: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I saw Ink a couple of weeks ago. it's a thought-provoking play about the beginnings of the tabloid The Sun in 1969 and Larry Lamb's attitudes about providing news, partly forced by how few staff he had - versus Cudlipp talking about informing the public. There's a line in that play about how this is a turning point for the press in the UK.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that there is very little interest in another royal engagement outside of the media.

Good luck to them and all that, but really this is the least important piece of news around at the moment - on a par with a Council's broken photocopier and the resulting debate about whether or not it might be time to buy a new one.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prime Minister's convoy goes wrong way at roundabout!!!!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
a Council's broken photocopier

That link, like the photocopier, is broken.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Prime Minister's convoy goes wrong way at roundabout!!!!

It's nothing new in Berkshire. The Queen keeps some of her horses at a stable that's local to where I grew up. Being forced into a hedge by the Royal Protection Squad is one of rural life's little inconveniences.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
That link, like the photocopier, is broken.

Sorry pardon. This is working for me.

But y'know. It's a story about a broken photocopier.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Newsflash: residents joy at watching paint dry could be premature.

--------------------
arse

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
So many important issues and events in the world.

100,000 people evacuated from near a volcano.

Terrorist attacks killing hundreds of people on a regular basis.

Refugees drowning in the Med.

The UK government destroying the country. President Trump looking like a rank amateur in comparison.

Regular mass murder in the US.

etc. etc. etc.

And what do we have? Extended news coverage because two young people decide to get married.

Come on newsrooms, get real.

With the possible exception of the volcano, none of those other things are new. In fact most of them are pretty much "business as usual" these days. At least the news of the royal engagement had the virtue of telling us something we didn't already know.

It seems to me that you don't want news, you want wall-to-wall opinion pieces and editorials that support your political stance.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
With the possible exception of the volcano, none of those other things are new. In fact most of them are pretty much "business as usual" these days. At least the news of the royal engagement had the virtue of telling us something we didn't already know.

The only people who didn't know that this was about to happen would be those who are already dead, I suspect.

quote:
It seems to me that you don't want news, you want wall-to-wall opinion pieces and editorials that support your political stance.
I'm sure there are some who are interested in celebrity weddings: that's what Hello is for. I'm fairly sure that the Radio 4 audience is not generally that interested in wall-to-wall celebrity engagement news.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I wouldn't mind wall-to-wall opinion pieces that inform my political stance (which includes opposing opinions, of course). I don't even object too much about pieces of celebrity news, tedious though it is.

I guess it's the wall-to-wall opinion pieces and editorials about an engagement that's going too far. And that this is going to go on for months. Followed by months of retrospective on how beautiful the bride was on her wedding day and so on ad nauseum.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather read about Harry and Meghan than the Donald's endless ridiculous tweets. [brick wall]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid Meghan's surname just reminds me of Mrs. Merdle, who, as enny fule kno, is a character in Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit, and who 'hated fuss'.

(Dorothy L. Sayers also used the name for Lord Peter Wimsey's car in various novels).

BTW, Ms. Markle seems to have had quite an illustrious career as a Slebritty and a Nactress. Is she highly thought of in USAnia?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's not exactly Helen Mirren, but she is well regarded as an actress in a mild way.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'd rather read about Harry and Meghan than the Donald's endless ridiculous tweets. [brick wall]

Amen, sister.
[Overused]

I think we're all longing for some happy news for a change... something that won't overwhelm us with the feeling that we're helpless in the face of so many ongoing disasters.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeez! Now I'll never be a princess!
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

Though Donald's endless tweets are not trivial. When the President of the United States tweets something thoughtless, ignorant, offensive or just stupid then that affects many people. Especially when they appear to be statements of policy. Careless Tweeting Costs Lives. He needs to be held accountable for his idiotic and infantile use of Twitter, and that can only happen if the US electorate are informed about what he has said.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The press wouldn't cover the Royal Family if it didn't sell papers.

Blame the consumers who buy "Hello" Magazine and the entertainment tabloids.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather hear about the royal engagement than hear anything at all about the Kardashians.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Though Donald's endless tweets are not trivial. When the President of the United States tweets something thoughtless, ignorant, offensive or just stupid then that affects many people. Especially when they appear to be statements of policy. Careless Tweeting Costs Lives. He needs to be held accountable for his idiotic and infantile use of Twitter, and that can only happen if the US electorate are informed about what he has said.
No problem there. We get every jot and tittle, God help us.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No problem there. We get every jot and tittle, God help us.

Is he grabbing jots as well as tittles now?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Markle...hmmm....reminds me of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, and also, of course, the German Chancellor, Frau Merkel.

I need to get out more. I'll fetch me coat.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
[Killing me]

Markle...hmmm....reminds me of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, and also, of course, the German Chancellor, Frau Merkel.

I need to get out more. I'll fetch me coat.

IJ

Someone beat you to that one.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Killing me]

Thanks for that!

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Just noticed that BBC News has interrupted its Royal Arselickfest to report on North Korea's latest missile test.

All is well, and the world is back to normal...

IJ

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's understandable that the BBC would go to town on the royal engagement - it's what they do, after all. But at one point today, the top story on their website was that Princess Catherine (Kate) was delighted at the news - like she was going to say anything else. This was then replaced as the top story by the world-stopping revelation that the wedding would be held at St George's Chapel in Windsor; which, as Bishop's Finger has pointed out, remained the top story until news of NK's latest test.

Really, BBC? Have these really been the two most important stories today?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Quite so - I guess they think Kim Wrong-Trim's missiles are unlikely to disrupt the Royal Wedding, even though said missiles may destroy a fair portion of the world's un-royal population.

But that Won't Matter, as they're all Foreigners.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an especially fine wedding-announcement story. I particularly like the description of the groom, as "a former soldier but now unemployed."

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Cool]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

LOL!

She does have a delightfully cheeky smile - young Harry W. is indeed a lucky man. He should be taking every opportunity to get a Proper Job, though.

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ahh-men.

I also agree that Mr. Windsor should find gainful employment.

Otherwise, while I agree with the OP, the fact is that news organizations are desperate for revenue, which means attracting online eyeballs for clicks on content.

Not being a sportswriter, I normally don't get a ton of clicks - but I got over 20,000 for a story about a contest to sing the national anthem for a sports team. Write what sells, I suppose.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Outfit crashes internet supposedly.

In reality a few shopping websites. Or 1 even.

And this from a once-respected broadsheet.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is an especially fine wedding-announcement story. I particularly like the description of the groom, as "a former soldier but now unemployed."

Unemployed former soldier marrying successful actress -- he's obviously marrying her for her money.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Unemployed veteran. [Frown]

There are support organizations for that sort of problem.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, and this will make the fur fly. Some American presidents will be invited, but not all!

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
to the OP:

"In the war of circulation it sells newspapers..."
B.Bragg, singing about page 3 girls.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Oh, and this will make the fur fly. Some American presidents will be invited, but not all! [/QUOTE
[Big Grin]

Trump wouldn't want to go if he can't ride in the gold carriage.

--------------------
~Tortuf

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And who'd want POTUS at the wedding making offensive Pocohontas jokes and telling his tedious bragging lies while his wife's stony-faced body double creeps out the guests?

When you could get the Obamas looking good, enjoying themselves and charming everyone?

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Just because it has been unavoidable knowing this, should I want to hear any news, the aforementioned marriage ceremony will be held at St George's Chapel, Windsor, next May, which limits the guest list to 500.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Presumably Windsor Castle chapel is a Royal Peculiar.

Damn, I wish I didn't know that.

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Just because it has been unavoidable knowing this, should I want to hear any news, the aforementioned marriage ceremony will be held at St George's Chapel, Windsor, next May, which limits the guest list to 500.

If recent weddings in my family are anything to go by there will be an awful lot of #disappointed non-invitees.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The Chapel is indeed a Royal Peculiar, and offers traditional services of a high standard of music and liturgy, which are all open to the peasantry...sorry... public.

[Razz]

I do hope the Obamas accept the invitation (they've met HM the Q already). The crowds lining the streets will be cheering for them, as much as for Harry and Sparkle.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, they very kindly declined to go to the last one (William?) because of security concerns. Can we imagine the current incumbent declining to go to a splashy event because he might upstage the bride or groom? Naah.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016