homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking SPOILERS!!!!!!!! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking SPOILERS!!!!!!!!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
So I'm off to see The Last Jedi tonight, with the family, including one family member who saw it at the midnight showing last week.

I've not read a single spoiler, because ... I don't mean to boast, but I'm not an idiot.

At the risk of being insulting...well, your statement mightn't actually stupid, it could be just ignorant.
The only way to avoid spoilers is to limit one's online activities.* This is not always practical for some of us. And it shouldn't be necessary. Practical considerations or not, many people should not have to change their habits because a few are not bright enough to creatively do their job.
*Or watch the telly or walk by a newsagent or listen to the radio or...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not many, surely [Smile]

Although there was a huge controversy in one of my facebook history-oriented groups when the admin wielded the ban hammer ostensibly because someone had revealed a plot-twist to the Star Trek film just released. It turns out that the guy was a trouble-maker of long standing, but before that was revealed people were doing faux-spoilers all over the place.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So I'm off to see The Last Jedi tonight, with the family, including one family member who saw it at the midnight showing last week.

I've not read a single spoiler, because ... I don't mean to boast, but I'm not an idiot.

I think there are some other things you haven’t read.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it now. [Big Grin]

And considering it's one of the biggest film releases of the year, if I can avoid spoilers, pretty certain most folk can.

(and yes, there's a very great deal I haven't read or seen, but I'm blessed with a genuinely terrible memory, so that if someone does let slip some of the plot, I've normally forgotten that part by the time I finally get around to it.)

But otherwise, okay, it can be annoying. But, working in the industry, I know it can be very difficult to publicise something without giving away anything. I write, in conjunction with my editor and publicity dept, the blurbs for my books - essentially an advert for what's inside, on the outside. There's a very fine line between losing a sale because the reader doesn't think it for them, and spoiling it for someone who would otherwise buy it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would point out that with a Star Wars film, nothing beyond announcing the opening date is needed to guarantee attendance.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well yeah... that's why you affect a 'beastly careless' attitude to all things Star Wartz.

--------------------
Human

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And considering it's one of the biggest film releases of the year, if I can avoid spoilers, pretty certain most folk can.

[Roll Eyes]

Seriously, how much work did you actually put into actively avoiding spoilers? What behaviour did you engage in, that you don't normally engage in, to avoid them?

Or did you just follow most of your normal routines and, being luckier than some, no spoilers came across your path?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly active online. I did a lot of fast scrolling, and not visiting review websites I normally read. People in my FB timeline are reasonably considerate in that they put spoilers in the comments, not in the main post. My daughter had already seen the film.

So, yes, a little effort. Not locking myself in a strongroom effort, but a casual curation. It wasn't that difficult to sit down in the theatre a week after the film opened with very little idea as to what was going to happen.

Except it's Star Wars, and we're pretty much guaranteed plenty of pew, vrom and kshh.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
plenty of pew, vrom and kshh.

Indeed (and well said).

[spoilerish]
Honestly, I can see why people think that knowing something might ruin their impromptu processing of it. But if we're being objective, the impact of pivotal parts like the wwwwwWWWWWW-[SILENT WHAM] are worth seeing over and over again, regardless of foreknowledge. So foreknowledge of overall worthwhile experiences should create anticipation. Meanwhile, cutting through the crap to point out the not-quite-worth-the-trouble kernel of an experience helps to save us from wasting our time.
[/spoilerish]

The narrow window of having a genuine "aha" moment being the only redeeming quality of an experience, such that foreknowledge makes suffering through the experience not worthwhile, seems pretty small to me.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now LB is suggesting we need to start a new Heaven thread in case people get upset by spoilers… on a thread the title of which is “… Spoilers too!...” and where everyone has been conscientiously including a few lines of bumph at the start to avoid anyone seeing spoilers on the home page.

Or we could, I don’t know, assume people are intelligent enough not to click on the thread if they haven’t seen the film yet?

I only saw Star Wars last night and had managed to avoid finding out what happened before. I must be a hermit or something.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

The narrow window of having a genuine "aha" moment being the only redeeming quality of an experience, such that foreknowledge makes suffering through the experience not worthwhile, seems pretty small to me.

Generally, an aha moment should not be the only thing that makes a story, but I could name a few that I think significantly change one's experience of a film. For most people, a knowledge-filled viewing is a different experience.

But this doesn't get the problem, or at least my problem.*
Most of entertainment isn't highly original and in some franchises there are limitations of just how far a story may be taken. Stories, even original ones, have constraints. So it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work out most of what is going to happen well before it does.

What works for me is to just let the story happen without making any attempt to work anything out.

This is short circuited by spoilers, and many trailers, for that matter. For example, seeing a threat to a character that I know beforehand will or will not die doesn't have the same feel and takes me out of the experience. With too many bits of definite knowledge, I can no longer avoid thinking about what is going to happen.

It does not allow me to simply experience.

And I am not alone in this.

*Yes, I know. My problem relating to spoilers, thank you very much.

I mean think about it, the clues that Rook has fluffy bits were always there, but discovering this for oneself is far better than being simply told.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
And now LB is suggesting we need to start a new Heaven thread in case people get upset by spoilers… on a thread the title of which is “… Spoilers too!...” and where everyone has been conscientiously including a few lines of bumph at the start to avoid anyone seeing spoilers on the home page.

Or we could, I don’t know, assume people are intelligent enough not to click on the thread if they haven’t seen the film yet?

I only saw Star Wars last night and had managed to avoid finding out what happened before. I must be a hermit or something.
[Roll Eyes]

And fuck you too.
If those buffers are for the reason you mention, they are useless. The only post that needs a spoiler buffer is the OP. It is the only one that shows on the Ship's front page. I assumed people knew this and were doing it for people who read the thread for speculation but not knowledge. Which is reasonable* considering the thread pre-dates the film's opening and some reading may not have seen it yet.

I get that some people are dull, lacking imagination, wonder or any sense of personal joy. But why get your knickers in a twist for those of us who still have some left?

In simpler terms that you might be able to comprehend: If you don't care about spoilers, why the fuck does it matter to you that some do?

*Which explains why you might have missed it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you use the recent posts option on the Ship, labelled "Today's active posts" the first few lines of every post with recent activity show there. So for those who use that feature all posts on a thread count.

[ 21. December 2017, 18:11: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Oh, lB. So much hate.

We all know where that leads...

You want to avoid spoilers? Don't click on a thread with the name of the bloody film you haven't seen. It's not rocket science.

[ 21. December 2017, 19:35: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
If you use the recent posts option on the Ship, labelled "Today's active posts" the first few lines of every post with recent activity show there. So for those who use that feature all posts on a thread count.

Aaah, OK. I’ve never used that option, my bad.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Oh, lB. So much hate.

I don’t hate lvr. I don’t really do hate in regards to people.
Annoyance, that I do. She didn’t have any point other than to dig into me as she doesn’t like me. Now, I completely understand people not liking me. But have a real bloody Point if you want to pick a fight.
quote:

You want to avoid spoilers? Don't click on a thread with the name of the bloody film you haven't seen. It's not rocket science.

Neither is actually reading for comprehension. I’m not complaining about the spoilers thread, I avoided it until I saw the film. I was trying to make it easier and cleaner. But as CK points out, my suggestion wouldn’t.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it’s because I’m a big meanie.

Alternatively, you might be being a teensy weensy little bit oversensitive about this. It’s only reasonable to expect spoilers on a thread that has the word “spoilers” in the title, for goodness sakes.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

lB, no one here, and the internet in general, have no duty to conform to your ideas of easier.

Feel free to continue to beat your head against an uncaring wall of indifference.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Yes, it’s because I’m a big meanie.

Alternatively, you might be being a teensy weensy little bit oversensitive about this. It’s only reasonable to expect spoilers on a thread that has the word “spoilers” in the title, for goodness sakes.

And I’m not at all bothered by that. I didn’t know about the preview on recent activity, so I thought I found a way to make the two different discussions easier.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
lB, no one here, and the internet in general, have no duty to conform to your ideas of easier.

Feel free to continue to beat your head against an uncaring wall of indifference.

Actually, the crew are generally receptive to at least listen. Jedi Judy indeed took on my suggestion not to put spoilers in the OP because it will show on the front page. Or at least pretended she hadn’t thought of it herself. SOP for SOF.

And I know that the internet has no responsibility to do what I think is right If only SOF had a board to rant about just such a thing...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
And I know that the internet has no responsibility to do what I think is right. If only SOF had a board to rant about just such a thing...

If only that board warned people that posting there was equivalent to painting a big target on their backside.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
And I know that the internet has no responsibility to do what I think is right. If only SOF had a board to rant about just such a thing...

If only that board warned people that posting there was equivalent to painting a big target on their backside.
And if only I had demonstrated that didn’t bother me and perhaps I even enjoy it.
At least when the punters have a half-way decent argument. So far it is basically ‘Spoilers don’t bother me’
Practically the Oxford Union...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far it's "If you don't like spoilers, stay away from any place or space that might contain spoilers." Excellent idea. You should try it. Might make for less bitching.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
So far it's "If you don't like spoilers, stay away from any place or space that might contain spoilers." Excellent idea. You should try it. Might make for less bitching.

You didn't read thoroughly. And again, why is being an arse about this the response?
I am saying that writers should be responsible and considerate and you are saying bury my head in the sand.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Is the thread about how the world should be? Then yes people should be considerate and nice and vote for freedom and fairness and high taxes on the rich.

But the world isn't that way. So you need to stick your head in the sand if that's what it takes to avoid spoilers.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I just watched the first 57 minutes of Rogue One for the first time (I think). It bored me so much that I didn't want to watch the rest at the moment. It has the distinction of making two great actors - Ben Mendelsohn and Forrest Whittaker look really really bad - wooden in fact.

Spend your time elsewhere LB. Star Wars was always the crappest of crap films.

--------------------
Human

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa, spoiler alert there big fella. Sheesh. Maybe some people want to have their revulsion and boredom being spontaneous and impromptu, you inconsiderate asshole.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I know, I know. I shouldn't have put that last sentence in. [Two face]

--------------------
Human

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are six plots on earth. Spoilers are therefore impossible and all moaners expose themselves as juvenile idiots.

Leave conversation to the grown-ups.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
There are six plots on earth. Spoilers are therefore impossible and all moaners expose themselves as juvenile idiots.

Leave conversation to the grown-ups.

This contributes nothing to the conversation except to show that you do not read for compression and spectacularly miss the point of this thread as well demonstrating the immaturity you apply to others.
Thanks for playing! Bubye.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
This contributes nothing to the conversation except to show that you do not read for compression

Okay now that is a funny typo.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

It is a beautiful typo. It's so good that if I had written the post and noticed the mistake I would have left it there for the enjoyment of others. Whether you have done that or not, thankyou LB.

Thankyou too MT for spotting it. You are either my ex-girlfriend editor or the academic in the office next to mine 20 years ago who used to destroy every document I passed to him for comment. You're not a very angry man from Belfast are you?

--------------------
Human

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I'm sure mt can be whatever you want him to be, for the right price...

Also, I shall have to review my current wip to see if it reads for compression. It could do with losing maybe 10k words.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
This contributes nothing to the conversation except to show that you do not read for compression

Okay now that is a funny typo.
Yes, it is. [Hot and Hormonal] I wish I could blame auto correct, but I still missed it, so...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016