homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » TICTH-tastic rehash (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH-tastic rehash
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I hate the fact that I've been hoping to bump into Ursula K. LeGuin for years (my wife has), and now I never will.

Poignantly and coincidentally, my son was in the midst of reading the first Earthsea novel as she was breathing her last.

And my students were reading "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas."

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taxonomy of Choral Shitness

* Spanners
* Bag of Spanners
* Rank
* Rank on Rank (as in, the host of heaven)
* Shithouse
* Total Shithouse
* Choral Terrorism

- Additional category, generally reserved for T&B: Louder than Lovely (as in, never be... oh but you were!)

- Special category for the Spent Alto: It's Over Dear (on receipt of the special card, proffered on the special cushion, along with a silken handkerchief to mop up the tears and snotters)

I regret to report an act of Rank, bordering on Rank on Rank occurred during this evening's rehearsal.

Sopranos were required to make the first entry in the AG on F#, marked mp, in context suggesting a rather dreamy quality, certainly necessitating some attention to ensemble and a tiny, tiny bit of technique.

One of them was sharp, more than one was flat. One was unsure of what an F# sounds like, and therefore scooped.

Fuckers.

Remedied by the Assistant Organist walloping an F# on the piano on the next pass, and therefore avoiding categorisation as Shithouse.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH a day which was supposed to promise fixing a bunch of bugs before a ship deadline. This turned into repeated sessions with the corporate firewall locking me out and Windowwas a s requiring updates on two machines.

The final moment was at lunch when the smoke detector in the dining area began to bleep loudly every few minutes. A comic time was had by me ending with me knocking the damn thing off the ceiling with my crutch. I thought it was the battery but the detector said to replace it by 2006.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From yesterday afternoon:

- My email wouldn't send
- My phone (run by the computer) wouldn't work
- My instant messaging (run by the same system as the phone) wouldn't work
- Owing to hot desking, I couldn't physically FIND my s****ing team

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The situation with the elderly man with hygiene issues I mentioned above, again, not the man but the issues. It's gotten to the point where we are starting official banning procedures, and I feel awful about it, not that it's any responsibility of mine. We can't have him here, the reek is awful, and he's left feces and urine around several times, but the library is his life at this point, and I don't know what's going to happen to him. [Frown]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
Talking of PIP assessors, TICTH those who not only don't take the trouble to actually listen to what you've told them, but write that you've said the opposite of what you did.

If the whole thing is just a sham, don't waste people's time by inviting them for an interview.

Maybe this is more of the same, but all PIP claims are to be reassessed. I guess the DWP have realised that those who do the assessments can't find their arseholes with both hands behind their back.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH Hollywood for trying to do religion. Rooney Mara has just portrayed Mary Magdalene, and Mel Gibson is going to do a sequel to "The Passion." [Confused]
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight--

The sequel is about the resurrection. I avoided the first film like the plague. Only interest I might have in the new one is to see how Mel does the moment of resurrection.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Twilight--

The sequel is about the resurrection. I avoided the first film like the plague. Only interest I might have in the new one is to see how Mel does the moment of resurrection.

Jesus’ hands dripping blood from prying open the tomb? Friction burns from acending in to Heaven? Blood gushing from his wounds as Thomas pokes them?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
TICTH a day which was supposed to promise fixing a bunch of bugs before a ship deadline. This turned into repeated sessions with the corporate firewall locking me out and Windowwas a s requiring updates on two machines.

The final moment was at lunch when the smoke detector in the dining area began to bleep loudly every few minutes. A comic time was had by me ending with me knocking the damn thing off the ceiling with my crutch. I thought it was the battery but the detector said to replace it by 2006.

You were blessed by one of the more kindly firegods. A couple of nights ago my Dear Wife, who has a quite dreadful cold, decided to inhale the steam in a very hot shower at 3 AM. The smoke alarm went off. There was no way to cancel it except remotely by the alarm company. The house is rented by her mother from the church and is listed under the church name at the alarm company, who properly called the police and fire departments, who then came out looking for a church. By the time the alarm was cancelled and they had found us, we had two police cars and the fire chief here and I had the pleasure of being interviewed by the police officer while clad only in my boxer shorts, everyone else having vanished. The fire chief didn't stay, as it was the second time it had happened at this address. I could go on...

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've got to stop crying "Wolf," ST. [Two face]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Head lice. Just die already thank you and take your nits with you.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
TICTH Hollywood for trying to do religion. Rooney Mara has just portrayed Mary Magdalene, and Mel Gibson is going to do a sequel to "The Passion." [Confused]

I suppose Mel is in need of redemption.

On this note, I'd like TCTH redemption. And well I'm at it, heaven. To hell with heaven.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re redemption:

I looked up my cell billing records online today. Each month says "Redemption". Salvation on the monthly plan?
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re redemption:

I looked up my cell billing records online today. Each month says "Redemption". Salvation on the monthly plan?
[Biased]

A reminder to keep your shriving current.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
TICTH Passive aggressive chain Facebook statii e.g. ...

...We trained everybody out of chain letters, then out of chain emails and the same pathology shows up again ! ...

Yes, and thank you. I do not do copy-paste (among other things), and I do not respond to most other such demands. If you're working against cancer, I am very much grateful to you and wish you much success, but I don't care for or-else reposting requirements. Deal with it.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hate the fact that I've been hoping to bump into Ursula K. LeGuin for years (my wife has), and now I never will. ...

I know. Another hope that will die unborn.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The use of 'impact' to mean 'affect' or 'impacts' to mean 'effects'. And if there are any soi-disant grammatical descriptivists around who think that this escapee from the worst management speak is a neutral piece of language drift I would kindly appreciate them to de-incentivise their opinions going forward.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
I hate the fact that I've been hoping to bump into Ursula K. LeGuin for years (my wife has), and now I never will. ...

I know. Another hope that will die unborn.
I need a new candidate for Most Enjoyable Living Author with both UKLG and Terry Pratchett gone.

TICTH Death.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's snowing. Transport chaos ensues.

Why the hell is the metro mayhem? IT ISN'T BLOODY SNOWING UNDERGROUND!

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

All the people who would have been travelling independently over ground have moved underground....

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And TICTH students who don't tell me they can't come to their after school lesson, leaving me waiting long after school has finished. [Mad]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And then send long, exculpatory emails telling me how they've been 1. overworked 2. ill 3. misunderstood.4. confused 5, 6, 7.....

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And then send long, exculpatory emails telling me how they've been 1. overworked 2. ill 3. misunderstood.4. confused 5, 6, 7.....

One of my co-workers had a days "compassionate special leave" because his partner's cat had died. No, not even his cat, and they had taken it to the vet so it wasn't unexpected.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Let us not underestimate the shock caused by even a foreseen and expected demise.... [Two face]

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My energy company, despite telling me on every bill for the last two years that I'm on their cheapest tariff, have, now they know I'm leaving, miraculously found a cheaper tariff down the back of the sofa. I am SHOCKED, I tell you, SHOCKED.

Robbing bastards.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I only hope that the Express becomes a ex-paper. The Duke of Edinburgh was for once right when he described the Daily Express as a "bloody awful newspaper", and that before Mohammed Fayed owned it and got in a paddy about the deaths of Dodi and Diana etc.

btw, good to see Rosamundi on board again [Smile]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MOTHER. FUCKER.

When I hear stories like the above, or about senior citizens being scared out of their nest egg by tax scammers I try to tone down my hostility by reminding myself that the people who do this stuff are most likely working in economically sparse areas and to send up a prayer that these people find work that does not require them to act like (or work for) scum sucking bottom feeding dickbags.

In the meantime, double-fuck anyone who makes Dulce sad. [Mad]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

TICTH the undoubtedly nice and well-intentionned lady who spread herself so loudly and intrusively over the fund-raising quiz last night. I spent the evening tuning her out. A voice that cut like a knife, and a barrage of comments which tended to drown out the quiz-master. All meant in fun, no doubt, but gave me brain-pain.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH American health care that seems to have caused a young woman to die of the flu because the medicine was too expensive. Here.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear people who employ freelancers, every time you decide not to reply to emails, take 3 months and counting to pay invoices, decide that it's not necessary to inform us that a job has gone elsewhere after numerous statements of enthusiasm, synchronising diaries and turning down other work, decide that 20 hour days and having to cancel social events isn't worth remuneration, you should realise your actions have consequences for real people.

TICTH people who shit on the self-employed.

[us because I'm not the only one]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
TICTH American health care that seems to have caused a young woman to die of the flu because the medicine was too expensive. Here.

Well, she had the money, but decided it was too expensive.

I agree (oh, do I agree) that American health care is a profit-driven mess.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
...TICTH people who shit on the self-employed.

[us because I'm not the only one]

Ahh-men. (Been there, done that, got a day job.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

As I said to my bank manager (from the days when there were bank managers you could talk to), my account would be in credit the day that everyone who owed me money paid me promptly. Till then....

The trials of the then free-lance singer. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Been there, done that as well, Jacobsen!

And then you get bronchitis during the Christmas season...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And cough your way through the carol services.
Happy days!

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I wouldn't have missed them, but I don't think I'd want to do them again.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Not under those circumstances.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less chat. More Hell.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH

Events that tell you the ticket price is from £x, then use a single vendor who also charges a booking fee.
It is therefore impossible to actually buy a ticket for £X and by the time you have bought tickets for a group of 4 to go, the whole process has added a further 15% onto the price.

If I can never ever buy a ticket for £x because there is no other vendor but you, why even mention it? Just tell us the whole bloody price up front so we don't find ourselves spending 15% more than we had anticipated. [Mad]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

TICTH my own feckless and dilatory tardiness* in failing to prepare stuff I knew I would need, so now it's going to be a combination of wing-and-a-prayer and sheer cliff-hanger.

Yes, that's tautology, in this case, the equivalent of tardiness squared. Or cubed. [Mad]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Synthetic fibres. Or possibly detergent. Whatever the hell it is makes my skin itch like the stings of a million ants.

[ 13. February 2018, 20:34: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Those darn dryer sheets.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Those darn dryer sheets.

Definitely.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sodding supermarkets pushing in-house inferior concoctions in preference to superior serviceable products.

And while I'm about it, manufacturers "improving" and reformulating products. Surcare, I'm looking at you.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And changing the recipes for well-known products. Not good for those of us try, occasionally, to cook for those with allergies.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vegetarians. The evangelical variety. Food sheriffs of all kinds can eat their carrot weiner hotdogs* quietly without all the fake superior lipsmacking gusto and trolling comversation). Pass the bacon!

*this really exists. while we are at it, to hell with the internet where people find such culinary abominations. Fake cauliflower pizza crusts is another one. I want meat that pretends to be veg.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fucking ex tropical cyclones. Sick of them and all the other bloody crap like earthquakes, fires, threatened tsunamis etc.

and the way they all tweak PTSD. At least with quakes there's not the build up of days of earnest people from the Met Service warning you - just a rattle and bang! it's all over, and you are either alive or not (and not sometimes feels preferable).

Huia - totally pissed off, and waiting for the 4 Horse riders.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Vegetarians. The evangelical variety. Food sheriffs of all kinds can eat their carrot weiner hotdogs* quietly without all the fake superior lipsmacking gusto and trolling comversation). Pass the bacon!

*this really exists. while we are at it, to hell with the internet where people find such culinary abominations. Fake cauliflower pizza crusts is another one. I want meat that pretends to be veg.

If meat eaters acted like vegans.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016