homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Aging Parents (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Aging Parents
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Is this a real pendulum, Zappa, or an internal one? If the latter, it seems entirely consistent with the logic of the very old...

Mrs. S, tending that way herself

Oh, it's a real one [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I used to demonstrate a pendulum in school to show that, without obviously moving my hand, I could make it swing to and fro in any direction (good for pointing at trouble makers!) or rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise, or rotate the direction of to and fro movement at will. I don't know exactly how it works, but the brain is clearly good at generating micromovements. You can make it tell you anything you want.

Yup ... like teenage seances and Ouija boards. At 94 & 11/12ths I suppose the old girl can choose her idiosyncrasies but it's driving her doctors and anyone else who dares to express concern (we're all meddling, you see) bloody barmy.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Is this a real pendulum, Zappa, or an internal one? If the latter, it seems entirely consistent with the logic of the very old...

Mrs. S, tending that way herself

Oh, it's a real one [Roll Eyes]
Oh. My. Word.

And I thought mine was difficult ...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had a phone call from Mum. Dad has been in hospital several days with a chest infection, and Mum has been called into the hospital early this morning by a nurse who wouldn't give any details.

Whatever it is, it's bad. He may have gone already, but we won't hear until Mum gets there and tells us.

Please hold us in your prayers.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Praying for you, your mother, and your father.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for Sandemaniac and his family [Votive]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He died in the night, having had a good day, and was expecting to come home. If you are going to go in hospital I guess that's the way to go...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for you all, Sandemaniac.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Sandemaniac and his family.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry Sandemaniac.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac and family
[Votive]

[ 06. June 2017, 15:34: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear that, Sandemaniac. Prayers ascending for you, CK and your mum, and for the soul of your dad.

[Votive]

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about the death of your father Sandemaniac and, f-in-law, Celtic Knotweed. Prayers for you both and Sandemaniac's mother.

(Typing this on my phone, which automatically shows smileys to include in messages, for death the emoticon on the suggestion bar is a skull, which I am not sure is in entirely good taste.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

That is indeed in dubious taste. But so is my sense of humour, especially under duress, and it gave me a much-needed laugh.

The time it is all taking is driving us nuts - Dad died on Tuesday and we can't start arranging anything until after the death is registered tomorrow. Ten years ago when Granny died, evderything was dine within 24 hours... cuts to "non-essential" services I guess...

AG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Prayers with Knotweeds and Sandemaniacs [Votive]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very sorry, Sandemaniac and Knotweed [Votive]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dowager is due to visit us for a few days to celebrate her 93rd birthday - I have arranged for all the family to come together at a nice local pub for lunch, and we will have tea and cake at home afterwards. They are coming some distance, all of them, at some personal inconvenience. All she has to do is select a few outfits from the 10 (yes, 10) wardrobes full of clothes I went through with her yesterday and put them in a case. We will collect her, bring her here, provide food and drink for whoever is around, take her to church, etc etc.

So today she rings me up in a complete panic - I only saw her yesterday - because it's only 9 days till we collect her.

Where have I put all the tights, hand cream, face cream etc we bought yesterday? On the worksurface in your room, Mum. Well, she can't find any of it.

Plus she's hurt her elbow and had to get the nurse to strap it up. Which of course made it an ideal day for her to ask her carer to help her strip the bed (the cleaner would have done it tomorrow) and now all she can think about is what she'll look like in a short-sleeve top with a bandage.

What did you do to hurt your elbow in the middle of the night, Mum?

Nothing. I didn't do anything.

Oh, and the grass is getting long on the lawn and she doesn't know when the gardener's coming next.

Forget the bloody grass, no-one will die if it gets a bit long

Oh. My. God.

And she told the carer on Monday morning she'd rather have more help in the garden than a party [Mad]

This is it. She's going in a home. I can't handle this much longer. And she certainly isn't getting another celebration!

Mrs. S, fed up with being told 'you wait till it happens to you' [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh My Goodness!

I have nothing to say...except that you have my total sympathies....

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oh Dear God, Mrs S! [Votive]

Meanwhile my 95 yo mother was found comatose by her gardener today and has been taken off to hospital. I visited her over the weekend and she was obstreperous as ever, and her pendulum had told her to reduce the meds ... so no surprises.

At 95 (next week) it's her call.

She recovered while the ambos were putting her in the wagon. No doubt she will be stroppy with everyone. Around about now she'll be arriving in hospital.

Pray for the bloody staff!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive]
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S and Z and carers/staff [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa.....ye gods......sympathies wafting in your direction as well!

How can we, in our turn, not be numpties..?

[ 14. June 2017, 19:33: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive] Mrs. S., Zappa and the staff at Mrs. Zappa Snr's hospital. [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Zappa and Mrs S - Hope things have settled down with Mrs Zappa Senior and the Dowager.
My mother seems to be following right behind. We were away on holiday last week and were turning the key in the door on our return when we heard the phone ring. It was my mother, and I have had various other phone calls with her over the weekend and today. Her lights are all going out and she is convinced there is something in the attic causing it. She tried to persuade a neighbour not much younger than her to go up there (he refused to her annoyance), tried to phone the fire brigade about it, and is now convinced there are rats up there. She lives in a modern block of flats so I think that's unlikely. Trouble is you need to be taller than me to change her lights easily and a I doubt I can get my husband over there for a while. As it is I'm going over on Thursday (I'm trying to get her to see she really needs more help so am not dashing over at her beck and call) but in the meantime aggghhhhh!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Too close for comfort, Sarasa, I think [Roll Eyes]

as our regular readers will know, the Dowager is coming here for four days, to celebrate (!) her 93rd birthday*. Never again.

I rang her yesterday and we went through 15 minutes or so of how hot it was, how her hair was stuck to her head (in other news, water is wet) and she announced brightly that she had just realised that she wouldn't be on show all week and all she needed was one nice outfit to go to the pub for her birthday lunch. She is always very tidily dressed, so no issues from my side, but she has thought of nothing else for weeks.

Today she rang again and announced a) that she was hot, b) that her hair was stuck to her head and c) that she had just realised...

'Mum, we had this exact same conversation yesterday!'
'DID we?'
'Yes. We're all hot. I'll ring you tomorrow to wish you a happy birthday'.

[Help]

* when everybody will congratulate her on how well she is doing and how young she looks and I will seethe inwardly (if we are lucky it will be inwardly!)

Mrs. S, who wishes she'd never even thought of a birthday celebration [Mad]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Sorry for the double post, but one of the more bizarre experiences of my life this morning.

My mother the Dowager rang me up to ask for my phone number [Eek!]

Words fail me.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

My siblings and I (sounds regal) are meeting on Tuesday, then taking Aged Parent™ out for dinner in honour of her 95th last week. We'll meet beforehand to nut out a sort of case management plan. In the meantime after her last collapse she has changed doctors, doctor has changed meds, the pendulum is happy and all seems well.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope all continues well for you and your mum, Zappa. I really do mean that, but know from experience this is just another stage till the next one.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, it's a pity you can't invent some kind of programmable pendulum that gave the right "stay on your meds" advice.

A friend, who views himself as psychic, once used a pendulum to decide that his favourite biscuits were healthy. I suggested he discussed this with his medical professional (whom he thinks is infallible) and he was advised against them.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Enjoy the dinner Zappa and I hope the meeting before hand helps you decide a plan.
I think we've sorted my mum's lights going out problem. The heat wave we had last week was causing them to blow. My husband checked for her on Thursday and she had someone from her gas and electrical company do the same on Friday. We also think the problem might be less acute if she bought bulbs from somewhere else than the slightly dodgy electrical shop down her road.
We are going to the solicitors sometime in the next couple of weeks to sign all the LPA forms. We managed to have a row about it, due I think, to mum having understood my brother to have said something different about times of the meeting than what he told me.
Mum is developing this habit of assuming you know what she is thinking and what others have said to her, which can be tricky to de-code. For instance I didn't get to the phone in time last week and when I phoend back and said 'Hi, it's me you phoned' she answered 'I want cornflakes' I knew that meant put in an on-line grocery order for me, but a hello how are you first might have been nice.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Sarasa and Zappa - endless empathy from this side! Hope all goes well for your dinner, Zappa, and the electrical problem can be resolved, Sarasa. I agree, a 'Hello, how are you?' might make life a lot easier!

Mum has been staying since Thursday afternoon and it's like having a toddler to look after, but less rewarding [Eek!]

I have completely lost patience with the 'what shall I wear?' question being asked (and answered!) multiple times per hour, and have told her I no longer care what she wears [Mad]

I found her on the drive yesterday, wandering round like a ghost, having gone out to look for me (she thought I'd left home! [Eek!] ) and let the door slam behind her. Oh happy day!

Anyway, someone else from the family must surely arrive fairly soon (please?) and dilute the problem...

Mrs. S, taking the blood-pressure meds...

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

[Votive] [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Oh Mrs. S., that does sound stressful.

[Votive] for you, and for Sarasa and her family and Zappa and his.

My sister and I had as good as could be expected a visit with Dad last week; he's bed-bound, very frail and being fed through a "peg", and because his throat is so dry, he finds it very hard to speak. Conversation was pretty much impossible, as we could really only make out the odd word or (if we were very lucky, the odd phrase). I'm fairly sure he knew who I was, although he looked a bit confused when we both went in. My sister's been going up every six weeks or so for a while, and it was nearly a year since he'd seen me, and we're quite alike, so he may have thought he was seeing double ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Holy Moley - i couldn't make this up if i tried! The pendulum likes the new meds and so she's unilaterally* doubled her dose!

* unless the pendulum counts as bilateral?

[brick wall]

[ 25. June 2017, 21:16: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Oh dear, Zappa. From the sublime to the ridiculous or someting similar and both extremes are dangerous..

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mum has been staying since Thursday afternoon and it's like having a toddler to look after, but less rewarding

I found her on the drive yesterday, wandering round like a ghost, having gone out to look for me (she thought I'd left home! [Eek!] ) and let the door slam behind her. Oh happy day!

Anyway, someone else from the family must surely arrive fairly soon (please?) and dilute the problem...

I know it's not easy, but keep telling yourself that she's not doing it deliberately. Otherwise, you'll end up not the person you'd like to be and (like some other posters on these boards) lacking sympathy.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Eek Zappa - Anyway you can 'fix' her pendulum so it gives sensible results?
Piglet - Glad you got to see your dad
Mrs S - I hope the party went well and the Dowager was happy with her dress choice in the end.
Gee D - that is sensible advice. I *know* my mother can't help her behaviour and I try not to get annoyed but gosh it's hard. I think an aged parent swap is the only solution. I have much more patience with my mother-in-law as there isn't the same background history (my mum is very good at pushing buttons that'll set me off).
My mum seemed a lot better on the phone yesterday. i think the cooler weather has helped. We were able to agree on the time for next visit to the solicitor's re: LPA and she told me how she told a neighbour who thought it was a bad idea to set one up, as it would mean my brother and I would nick her money, that she was being silly. Hurray!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is very hard indeed. My FIL's mind went (fortunately very quickly) when he was in his mid-80s and for quite a while he was a real challenge to deal with. He seemed to get on well with his grandchildren even when discussing every single point with the rest of us. We were lucky to find a near-by nursing home with good security which had a room for him. He had plenty of visitors, my MIL most days, and he was looked after. After a while, it became quite pointless to take him out for the day for a birthday lunch and so forth as he had no real idea where he was or why he was there. There's a limit to the number of times you can answer the questions "Where am I", "Who are all these people" (ie, us), "What's going on here" and so forth, apart from the wear and tear on my MIL - so we stopped taking him out.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Gee D, if it weren't for that fact, I should be even less patient (my Aunt M, recently deceased, I'll swear would wind the Dowager up just to see how much fun she could have watching her panic [Mad] )

Anyway, the weekend went off quite well, all things considered (once everyone had found the right pub [Roll Eyes] ) and she was fine with her outfit, although she did ask for a safety-pin to fasten the neck up a bit [Roll Eyes] - I refused point-blank).

Littlest was a star and got on well with his next older cousin (hallelujah) and I think everyone enjoyed the time together, but oh my stars it was hard work when we were down to the three of us. The A303 played its miserable part, too, holding me up in both directions as I took her home today, so no surprises that it will be GIN time tonight - oh, and a takeaway curry as we have been on Older Persons' Food for DAYS!

Thank you - and I really do mean that - for all your prayers and kind words.
[Axe murder]
Mrs S, grateful to be off the hook again [Two face]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S, you are amazing! I hope you have a chance to relax in your favourite way (stiff GIN, bubble bath, tramping in the wilderness - whatever works for you.

Sarasa, I think that's a good point. Nobody has the ability to exasperate the way close family can. Even as a teenager I understood that, while I wanted to run away to my Auntie, her children wanted to run away to my mother. Love is a funny thing.

For me, as my older brother continues his slide into Parkinson's and dementia, our sister-in-law is much better placed than I to have Enduring POA. Initially I felt really guilty about this, but then I realised that I can contribute to his well being because I am the only person left who shares some of his earliest memories and has the time to send him stuff that has resonance for him.

Once, after she had left the room he said, "She didn't come over the hill, in the furniture truck," in reference to our family moving when he
was 5 and I was 3, and that gave ne the cue to how I could support him.

Huia

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

You're too kind, Huia [Hot and Hormonal]

Some better news from the ancestral seat - the Dowager was interviewed yesterday by a 'well-being' person from her GP's surgery, who is working her way through the old fogies on the list to see if they could benefit from any extra interventions, etc. I deliberately stayed away so that the Dowager answered for herself, rather than getting me to do the talking [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, Andrea the 'well-being' person was most impressed by the Dowager's set-up and had no further suggestions - she was full of praise for the Dowager and me, which was lovely [Hot and Hormonal] We may (*may*) even be able to claim attendance allowance!

And the Dowager told her that she had enjoyed the party, though there were too many people there [Roll Eyes]

When I called her today, she was quite different - much more compos mentis and more herself, so clearly being away from her home does her no good at all.

Ah well, nothing's ever perfect, but that seems to be as good as it gets!

Thanks again for your support, peeps [Angel]

Mrs. S, counting her blessings and booking herself a hearing test [Killing me]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Hearing aids are wonderful - you can turn them off at will [Two face]

Huia

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Huia - agree about hearing aids. When people try to get all sympathetic about how hard it must be to be deaf I give them that as an advantage.

Anyway back to Aged Ps. Went to see mine today. She had a phone call from someone asking for 'Mario'. My assumption is that it was probably a wrong number. She seems to think that it is something to do with the 'affair' she had with her holiday rep (half her age and married) five years ago. When she came back from the holiday he was a lovely man who'd been helpful, but since then it has morphed into a brief encounter style love of her life scenario. She's always had a romantic streak but as she's got older her common sense seems to be leaving her.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like nothing compared to what some of you have been going through, but this week, we moved my 85 year old widowed mother to an apartment.

She had been living with my younger sister and her husband for 7 years. Dad passed away 2 years ago after a long battle with Alzheimers and dementia. Since then, my sister and her husband had become more and more insistent that she had to leave, so, for the first time in her life, she is on her own.

The apartment is not quite as old as she is, but we got her settled, and I hope she will be ok. I live a 4 hour drive away, but my older sister and her husband live in the same city and will be able to check in on her almost daily. Mom gets around with a cane or a walker, and the common laundry facilities are on the main level, but she must take the laundry from her 9th floor apartment to the main level by elevator, then navigate up 3 steps to get to the laundry. I'm fairly certain she will not be able to do that.

This has caused some exceedingly hard feelings in the family, and some of us are quite worried what it will do to my mother.

Please keep us in your prayers.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you hire someone to come a few hours a week to do the laundry and other things your mother has trouble with?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Can you hire someone to come a few hours a week to do the laundry and other things your mother has trouble with?

Moo

Completely agree with Moo. Most buildings have a superintendent or caretaker of some sort who will know the tenants well. A phone call or personal conversation asking for advice may be a good idea. There is often someone in a building who is careful with their things and in need of some extra funds who would do it on a regular basis and could be a point of contact for your mother should other things crop up. If she knew that someone was coming every Tuesday afternoon to take her to do her laundry, she could go with them to get it started and let them bring it to her when it was all ready. If it were me, I would likely contract this myself and tell mom it was a gift to her since you would do it if you could or ask her if it could be in lieu of a Christmas present or something of that nature. The building super can be a great ally in pointing out a teen who could help or a young mother who would love a chance at some extra cash.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sharkshooter - good luck with you mum's move. Does she know other people in the building/area that could help? My mum is lucky in that, though her block of flats isn't sheltered accomodation for the elderly, most the residents are elderly and they keep a look out for one another.
I went to look at another care home today, not that I think its likely that she'll be moving into one very soon, but I want to see what is out there. It seemed nice enough, but all the residents seemed a lot further down the road of disability/memory loss etc than she is at present.
I've also had a text from my husband saying his mother has just been taken to hospital as she's had another fall. No more details yet, though it doesn't sound too bad. It does make me wonder how much longer she can carry on living in her own home though.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sharkshooter - is your mum's flat part of a block designed specifically for elderly people? If so, there may be someone on hand to help with the laundry - it seems unlikely that such a place would put the laundry somewhere that didn't have proper access for anyone with mobility difficulties.

[Votive] that everything works out well for her and she settles in happily.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016