homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Aging Parents (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Aging Parents
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarasa, I'd done a heap of rearranging so I could go down to the Dowager's care home for the 'residents and relatives' meeting on Wednesday. Given the state of the weather forecast for the West Country that day, I don't think I shall be going! Praying that your Mum's birthday bash goes well [Votive]

The trip would also have allowed us to take another car-load of our son's possessions and dump them in her garage - he should have been in his own house by now, alas, and we sure as hell aren't taking them with us!

As for the Dowager herself, she is getting over her chest infection and I am SO relieved I haven't had to be the one getting her to take antibiotics, stay indoors in the warm and use an inhaler [Overused]

A propos of what NEQ said above - I suggest that she might like some pictures in her room. She shrugs dismissively. My son - Golden Boy - says 'Grandma, you could have some of your lovely pictures in here' and she says 'Oh what a good idea'. Where's the emoticon that says Grrrr?

A friend of long standing has just lost her mother, at 96 - I've just found how hard it is to write a sincere note of condolence on such an occasion, knowing what she and her sister went through with their AP!

Mrs. S, claiming copyright on her letters of sympathy!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am increasingly impressed with everyone's patience with their APs. I'm visiting mine tomorrow, by train, and tonight I had a panicking call from my mother claiming that there would be blizzards and traffic disruption tomorrow. I was fairly sure that the bad weather isn't due to reach us till later in the week, but Mum was adamant that it been on tonight's news. I checked BBC weather online whilst I was on the phone to her and could see no blizzard warning. Anyway, I've agreed that I will phone before I set off and will report in a couple of times whilst en route tomorrow to reassure Mum.

After I came off the phone it occurred to me that the news might have warned of blizzards in "the north east", meaning north east England, but Mum took it to mean north east Scotland.

It's such a minor thing, but I'm not happy that my visit is stressing Mum out. On the other hand, if I cancel and there is no snow, she'll be disappointed.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mum woke me yesterday with an early phone call about the weather,and said that
a) if I came through she would be terribly worried but that
b) if I didn't come through she would be terribly disappointed. [brick wall]

Given that the weather forecast looked quite balmy to me I went through and had a lovely visit. We even had sunshine!

As forecast, it is snowing here now.

I'm fairly sure that Mum had heard a forecast for the north east of England and misunderstood what was meant by "the north east."

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if you got there NEQ. Glad you made it and had a good time. We have a bit of little bit snow here and I'm hoping that the transport isn't mucked up as I'm off to mums to take her to a hospital appointment. She's been stuck indoors for the last couple of days because of the weather and the lift at her flats breaking She can manage stairs but with her extremely poor eyesight its a bit tricky without help.
I'm getting a bit concerned about how many people are going to make her party on Saturday. Although not snowing on the day (yet) there appears we might have a lot of snow on Friday and I can imagine her friends not wanting to go out. Bugger.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wishing the snow away for your mum's party, Sarasa. Or that her friends are all toughies who will say to hell with the weather. [Smile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016