homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Aging Parents (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Aging Parents
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So anyway - antibiotics now for Mam finally but heartbreaking to hear her cough - how many bouts of bronchitus and pneumonia can a body stand? Not really happy to leave for a couple of weeks but at least my brother and SIL now back from hols. You can never relax though, can you?

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum needs to go into a nursing home and I'm hoping that she will be able to come to one close to me, if they have a space and she gets better enough to make the journey. I saw her in hospital yesterday and she's very unwell with a urinary infection. Also coughing a lot. [Frown]

I love the idea of her being nearby - she is 2.5 hours away by car at present. Just trying to take on board what it will mean to be the person who needs to run if there's a problem... [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bump, as advised by mine host.

Off to Australia again to visit my aged mother. Although she is in no worse shape than most of her age(90), she persists in seeking out medical and paramedical treatments that will make her "improve her condition". Despite her protestations, her mind is still sharp (as is her tongue!), and she has the money to do this, so we can't just tell her that there is no cure for old age.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here have an aged parent who drinks excessively? I do. How do you deal with it?

BTW: if that applies to you, you might also wish to check out the thread I've started for children of alcoholics.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's frustrating, Tukai. My dad is not in good health and has been in a nursing home for two and a half years. He hasn't suggested spending money on treatments (it's all going on the home's fees anyway); his version of not accepting old age was being convinced God would heal him of things. "If God gives me back my sight. No, I should say when God gives me back my sight. It's my fault he hasn't because I don't have enough faith. I do believe he will do it because it would be a witness to all the people here..."
Meanwhile I'm sitting there, making non-committal and vaguely reassuring noises, and shouting inside my head, "It's nothing to do with faith, it's just that you're 85 and things like this happen when you're old and you have about a dozen other things wrong with you anyway and what you really want is for God to knock 20 years off your age!"
And then I say goodbye and drive back to work after my non-lunch break and, if it's already feeling like a long day, shout it all out loud in the car instead.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a US resource I stumbled upon recently. Nursing Home Inspect is a webpage that makes it easy to find and compare the results of nursing home inspections.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Here's a US resource I stumbled upon recently. Nursing Home Inspect is a webpage that makes it easy to find and compare the results of nursing home inspections.

Thank you for posting this. Lots of good information to make an informed decision if need be.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
That's frustrating, Tukai. My dad is not in good health and has been in a nursing home for two and a half years. He hasn't suggested spending money on treatments (it's all going on the home's fees anyway); his version of not accepting old age was being convinced God would heal him of things. "If God gives me back my sight. No, I should say when God gives me back my sight. It's my fault he hasn't because I don't have enough faith. I do believe he will do it because it would be a witness to all the people here..."
Meanwhile I'm sitting there, making non-committal and vaguely reassuring noises, and shouting inside my head, "It's nothing to do with faith, it's just that you're 85 and things like this happen when you're old and you have about a dozen other things wrong with you anyway and what you really want is for God to knock 20 years off your age!"
And then I say goodbye and drive back to work after my non-lunch break and, if it's already feeling like a long day, shout it all out loud in the car instead.
[Roll Eyes]

Shout very very loud and then carry on. Older age seems to bring different ways of thinking and apparently it's the younger generation who are wrong. It was ever thus apparently.....

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To update... my mum died at the beginning of September and we've just spent three days clearing her house and rehoming my eldest brother, who was her carer, in his new flat.

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Does anyone here have an aged parent who drinks excessively? I do. How do you deal with it?

I fear my brother drinks excessively... and he has taken the place of a dependent parent really, having lived most of his life in the family home and never having to cope for himself. [Help] He is 13 years older than I am and looks at least ten years older than that... I was mistaken for his daughter last week. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - trying to adjust to family changes and process grief at the same time.

[ 06. November 2012, 16:30: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] Nenya [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[Frown] Nenya [Votive]

This.
(We may have more in common than a liking for tag-lines, Nenya)

The Dowager Mrs. S called me last night to say her oldest friend (and my godmother) had died. She was 91, so not unexpected but still - as always - a shock. All these deaths of friends are preying heavily on TDMS's mind, and she's worried she's losing her marbles too. Heaven help us - but then, you know, it will. [Votive]

Mrs. S, quietly confident that this will indeed be so

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After my Mum was called fussy by a carer at Dad's care home she has been unhappy about several other aspects of his care.
The result is that another home has been found for him. Social services approve and a room is available.
Mum and Dad will see representatives from the new home tomorrow to work out a care plan for him.
Mum is much relieved even though it will be a longer journey to visit him.
I saw him last week. He was fragile and confused though thank God he knows us and has long term memory.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I hope your dad is happy in the new home and that you all feel good about it, Tree Bee. [Smile]

Boogie, Mrs S, thank you. Mum was 92 and oh so ready to go but I miss her so much.

Nen - having a blubbery few minutes. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry Nenya. [Votive]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a newcomer to this thread. I'm not sure what I expect from posting here, because I'm not a caregiver to my parents - they don't need caregivers just yet. They're actually only 71 (mom) and 70 (dad), so not that old either. But my dad has dementia. The hard part for me is that I'm on the other side of the country and only get to see my parents once a year. I just was back home last week. Dad's definitely gotten worse, but I don't think I saw the worst of it. He's still highly functional; he just gets confused sometimes and has been having verbal trouble for several years now.

He only just retired, partly because he was having trouble at work because of it (one co-worker was even calling him stupid). It makes me angry, because dad has always had some problems (seems to have had a learning disability) and he's actually really intelligent. He's also worked really hard his whole life, both at work - he spent most of his career fixing people's appliances in their homes, but took an early retirement from that when the company started treating its older employees badly - and at home, since, being working-class, my parents often couldn't afford to pay to have the car fixed or work done on/around the house. I wish he could enjoy his retirement! I think he is enjoying it, but not the way he should be able to.

And my poor mom, I know this is very hard for her. She was telling me about how others in her family whose spouses suffered dementia used to call it Alzheimer's because "dementia" sounded too much like "demented." But I don't think there was dementia in my dad's family. Maybe I just don't know about it. All 4 of my grandparents were mentally sharp right up to the end. My mom is convinced that nothing can be done for dementia - is she right? I don't want to see her and dad use up their money and time chasing after treatments, but if there really is anything that might help, it would be good to try.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchgeek, there are so many different types of dementia that it really is impossible to say if anything can be done - for some forms there are treatments and for others there are none. In the first old people's home I worked in there was a woman who was put on a particular drug and improved by leaps and bounds - it was just a simple vasco-dilator. I would suggest having a diagnosis made by a geriatrician and then making some decisions.

My prayers for your and their situations anyway.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Churchgeek, I'm so sorry to read about your Dad.
As WW says, it's hard to give specific advice as I don't know your Dad or the form his dementia is taking.
One thing we've learnt with my Dad, though, is not to ask him too many questions.
If he struggles to answer we can see that it frustrates him.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Shout very very loud and then carry on. Older age seems to bring different ways of thinking and apparently it's the younger generation who are wrong. It was ever thus apparently.....

This describes our lives at the moment. My in-laws, 93 and 90, have been very high functioning public figures (surgeon and UN rep). Its only recently that deteriorating bodies and, in my m-i-l's case, advancing confusion, have slowed them down.

What's brought me to this thread is her increasing insistence that none of her children comes to see her enough, repeated endlessly and with bitterness. Now, in the case of the three elder daughters, that's a bit of mission, since they live on the other side of the world. They're not the ones being complained about, though, its the two (of six) siblings who live in the same city.

My partner and I, and her youngest brother, visit every weekend, and usually once during the week. We make food for the week, attend to any heavy lifting and make sure that any doctors' visits are organised along with transport. My partner rings them every second night or so. Between us we get them anywhere important and make sure we understand what's going on. All three of us are working fulltime in pretty stressful jobs.

Last night my partner talked with her father on the phone and discovered that he is really worried about mother, who had a bad fall. She had driven herself to the doctor with notes from father on what happened (there are so many things wrong with this scenario that I'm shuddering thinking about it). Underneath the story was the criticism of us for not knowing it had happened (they didn't let us know).

On top of this, my partner's next-oldest-sister is stirring the pot about getting them out of their house and into a rest home (something I, as a social worker, am not that keen on since they know their house). This sister is spreading the agitation around the siblings.

I think my in-laws are mostly doing amazingly well. They're still able to cook and care for themselves, and they have solid support from us and their (star performer) neighbours. I think my m-i-l is becoming depressed, but given her problems with heart disease there isn't going to be a lot that can be done about it except reassure her.

Any suggestions about how we can deal with the constant "you don't visit enough" stuff? Without us moving into their house. [Ultra confused] Both of them have/had siblings who lasted to nearly 100, so they're not likely to die any time soon.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Churchgeek, I'm so sorry to read about your Dad.
As WW says, it's hard to give specific advice as I don't know your Dad or the form his dementia is taking.
One thing we've learnt with my Dad, though, is not to ask him too many questions.
If he struggles to answer we can see that it frustrates him.

Yes, so far I've noticed that my dad tends to start laughing (like a nervous laugh; I have a nervous laugh myself) when he can't think of words. I try to just let him express himself however he needs to, because I imagine it would be frustrating for him if people finish his sentences for him. But I mostly only get to talk with him on the phone. If he doesn't feel like talking, he'll pass the phone on to my mom. If he wants to talk to me, then I just give him all the time he needs.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchgeek, I can only speak from my own experience. My heart goes out to you and your parents. I've seen a close relative's dementia, of the Alzheimer's type, as it has progressed (as others have said, there are different kinds). What this disease does is to take away the connections we rely on for memory. It may be a terminal disease, in that in the later stages people may forget how to breathe or swallow, but the rate of its progress varies from person to person. I think it well worth pursuing diagnosis and any treatment available, as I understand that there are new drugs for some types of dementia which delay its progress.

I hesitate to paint its picture, as it's not pretty, but here goes: It's particularly confusing and distressing at first for the person concerned, as they know that they're forgetting, and they don't understand why others give them less respect and allow them less autonomy than they used to have. When they reach the point when they neglect themselves as they forget to wash, or to eat, or to sleep, perhaps also how to use the toilet, they may need 24 hour care with a set routine. Specialists know how best to care, to encourage and to stimulate their minds so that they're able to maintain as much independence as possible while being kept safe. This is usually provided within a residential home. The down side of this, apart from the cost, is before the disease has progressed too far: the unfamiliar surroundings and people, and the feelings of being trapped and maybe abandoned (they may immediately forget that visitors have been) are distressing.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please forgive the double-post, I want to give you the reassurance that there does come for many people the point of living in the 'now', of a serenity and contentment in the moment which is tangible, although not expressed in words.

My relative is comfortable, she's not in pain, and she's no longer in distress.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother had Alzheimer's. If that is what your father has, there are medicines that can slow the progress of the disease. At least, there were five-plus years ago when I was watching over Mom's decline. There may be even better ones now.

One thing I had to learn with her was how to handle the repeat question/comment. Mom would ask me the same question five or six times in as many minutes. Saying things like "you already asked that" or "I told you already" are not helpful. If they could remember the answer they wouldn't ask again. I trained myself to respond to each question as if it was the first time I was asked. Sometimes Mom would catch me--after I repeated an answer she'd say "I already asked you that, didn't I?" and then I just smiled and admitted it.

I sincerely hope your father's problem is not Alzheimer's. But, if it is, treasure all the moments that you can.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Any suggestions about how we can deal with the constant "you don't visit enough" stuff?

One method I've seen work (to some degree) is for the confused person to keep a large notebook as a visitors book, in which anyone visiting writes the date, time and duration of the visit, and what they did together. You could try this if your mother is amenable and, while it is still possible, get her to write her own little note about the visit on the same page - or sign your entry.

Of course, the important word in the quote is 'enough' - even a daily visit may fall short of the amount of contact she would like, and I don't know how you can supply that.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I hesitate to paint its picture, as it's not pretty, but here goes: It's particularly confusing and distressing at first for the person concerned, as they know that they're forgetting, and they don't understand why others give them less respect and allow them less autonomy than they used to have.

I remember my grandmother going through this - she did get very upset at not being able to remember things that she knew she should know (if you can follow that), but that phase passed and she was became very happy in herself; it was just far harder for those of us who could remember what she had been like (and it was not until she died that I realised how many memories I had suppressed to enable me to cope). When she repeated a question after 5 minutes, I was tempted to give her a different answer...

[Votive] for all watching loved ones go through this and for those (including my mother) who fear it

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Any suggestions about how we can deal with the constant "you don't visit enough" stuff?

One method I've seen work (to some degree) is for the confused person to keep a large notebook as a visitors book, in which anyone visiting writes the date, time and duration of the visit, and what they did together. You could try this if your mother is amenable and, while it is still possible, get her to write her own little note about the visit on the same page - or sign your entry.
This sounds like an excellent idea, although there's always the danger, of course, that she is so convinced you don't come very often that she will also be convinced that you are making up entries and forging her signature. [Roll Eyes]

I also wonder, Arabella, if you and your partner could take a leaf out of Hedgehog's book when it comes to the statement about you not visiting enough. Treat each one as though it were the first time it was said and you may find yourself able to answer pleasantly and conversationally with a simple, "We come twice a week, Mum" or even, "How much do you think is enough?"

This did work well once with my mum, who did not have Alzheimer's but did get confused from time to time. It had always been our habit to visit her and the rest of the family in between Christmas and New Year, until she instructed us not to because of the illnesses that are around at that time, the cold, the wet, etc. Come the New Year we were in trouble - "You didn't come at Christmas." "You told us not to, Mum. You said it was too cold and wet and everyone gets poorly at that time of year." Pause. "Oh. Well, I didn't mean it quite like that." [Roll Eyes]

Plus I think older people can simply lose touch with what it's like to have full and busy lives. We spent three intensive days moving my brother (65 going on 95) into his new flat and there was no real concept of Mr Nen and I having to use annual leave from work to do so and therefore we needed to make full use of the time and start at 9am rather than lunchtime which was his preference. [Roll Eyes]

The "a home or not a home" is a tough one. I felt my mum would have been happier in a nursing home for some years before she died but was overruled by the opinion of everyone else, including Mum herself. You can only do what you think best at the time.

Nen - unsure of a lot of things at present.

[ 11. November 2012, 11:32: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else here dealt with the issue of conflicts between caregivers? In my case it involves my wife and I verses my sister in law.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

No personal experience, Squirrel, but I've heard people talk about theirs. Is it about the person you're caring for, the care itself, or how you share the load?

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the suggestions. My partner has just had long conversation with her father, all in German, so his marbles are still all in the bag (they were both brought up speaking English)! Good to remember there are still lots of strengths in amongst the struggles.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

quote:
No personal experience, Squirrel, but I've heard people talk about theirs. Is it about the person you're caring for, the care itself, or how you share the load?

It's how we share the load. She and my brother live upstairs from Dad, who gave them a newly-refurbished apartment for a very cheap rent. My wife and I come over sometimes on weekends to relieve them. Dad doesn't need much direct care; mostly you just give him his meds, heat meals and make sure he's OK. My sis in law whines we don't do enough, and makes it sound like Dad's a basket case. He isn't, but she likes to play the martyr.

However there is the slight complication that both my wife and I engage in something she doesn't do right now- work. So it's really only feasible for us to come over on weekends. But that's not enough for my sis in law. We love her and my brother, but my dad's need for care is putting a strain on our relationship.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

It sounds to me as if there is more to this than meets the eye, Squirrel.

Perhaps your dad is more demanding day by day than it seems.

Perhaps your sis-in-law feels as if she has no life of her own as she always has to be there for him, particularly as she doesn't work and if she's there 24/7.

Perhaps your brother doesn't do much to help.

Perhaps she does like the martyr act, perhaps not, but it may be worthwhile to encourage her to give you the whole picture and let her know that you are there for support, albeit to offload from time to time. It must be affecting her relationship with your brother and your dad as well as with you, and that's a great shame.

There may be other ways around it than your filling in more weekends. Maybe someone could call around regularly to give her some time out, or your dad could come with you on a holiday or for a week's respite in a residential home, for example.

I hope this helps a little.

--------------------

Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

I think there's a certain resentment of my wife and I by my brother and his wife. We have more money, own a house and take the occasional vacation. They don't, largely because we are more educated and therefore have better jobs. My brother never followed up on his chance at an education, while my sister in law has an in-demand skill, but is VERY picky about what type of work she'll do. We're also much more frugal.

Some of this resentment goes back many years before my father became ill.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

So pre-existing relationship difficulties are feeding into this then, Squirrel, with jealousy and resentment possibly rearing their ugly heads. I venture to suggest that these exist within most family relationships to some extent, as people compare themselves and their situations with those closest to them. The thoughts and feelings often don't fully surface until there's a row, often a minor one: everyone calls what they've been thinking for years, and some never speak to each other again.

You might decide to remain at arm's length as much as possible if you think that whatever you do it won't be right for her. That doesn't help her relationship with your father or theirs with you. It might be worthwhile speaking to your dad and brother individually, to see how it's affecting them and whether you can work something out between you.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from a couple of days at my parents, who we live about a hundred miles from, between Christmas and the New Year, and I've got to come here...

Mum is 62 in February, she should be retired, but as a result of the economic slump the investments she'd made are all worth little more than what she put in and as a result is having to continue to work part-time in a job she loathes. She's taking tablets for osteoporosis and steroids for fibromyalgia, which do not mix according to the data sheets, and the steroid's side effects include the possibility of depression (5%ish) Found most of that out by reading the data sheets, as she's very prone to not telling you (or not being able to tell you) what's up with her. She is supposed to be resting on Doctor's orders (fat chance - she won't let herself, which is one of the things that scares me about me getting older, because I often spot I'm doing little things the way she would, but work won't give her the time off now she's part time.

Dad is twenty years older, three hip replacements down the line, and getting very unsteady on his feet. With the dodgy legs and an arthritic spine he's finding it very hard to get around, and can no longer do all the things that Mum relied on him for. As they've a huge garden, over an acre, and grew all their own veg that's a lot. He's also prone to attacks of bronchitis.

Add into the mix that my brother left his long term girlfriend and house in the spring and pretty much turned up on my parent's doorstep with all his crap, and is now treating the place like a hotel.

On Christmas Day Mum cooked dinner for the three of them, and Dad was so ill with bronchitis that he just couldn't eat it. Brother crawled out of bed, ate it, and went straight back to bed to sleep off the previous night's skinful leaving Mum to clear everything up on her own. She responds by having a Christmas breakdown (these have happened especially at Christmas in the past at stressful times - said brother has often been the trigger, he's ill-tempered, prone to thinking that he has a right to sponge off his parents without anything in return).

So we arrived in the middle of this... Mum a sobbing wreck, my brother expecting everything done for him, and Dad just about functioning as a human being as the bronchitis shifted.

On top of all that Dad fell out of bed and cracked his head the first morning we were there, and couldn't get up again. Scarily, this is possibly the best thing for Mum as it forced her to do something. Then, the next day, he was fixing a door panel in his car when the wind caught the door and he got another crack around the head. So on top of everything else he's got a sore head, feels really disorientated, and ends up in his armchair in a sorry heap.

By the time we left, having done what we could (the Knotweed is at work today, so we had to go), Mum was functioning again, just about, but she's struggling to cope with work and Dad and the fibromyalgia as it is, she struggles to eat as it makes her face numb, so with my brother on top of all that we really don't know what the hell to do. We can't get him out, we can't find him somewhere to live because of his dogs (and I don't suppose he'd go easily as he has a cushy number right now). Even then, Mum still has a shedload to cope with, and gets rather less sympathy from the third offspring than she needs.

To top it all off, I've been jobhunting for eighteen months, and not visiting them very often was one of my coping strategies, because Mum just drove me bats about it... so there's me being selfish too, and it looks as though I'll have to spend more time visiting them, which will in turn make it harder for me to cope with the stress I have...

Christ all fucking mighty, where do you turn?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandy
... dunno.
I know you probably won't appreciate a flickery candle smilie but thinking of you both anyway.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

By the time we left, having done what we could (the Knotweed is at work today, so we had to go), Mum was functioning again, just about, but she's struggling to cope with work and Dad and the fibromyalgia as it is, she struggles to eat as it makes her face numb, so with my brother on top of all that we really don't know what the hell to do. We can't get him out, we can't find him somewhere to live because of his dogs (and I don't suppose he'd go easily as he has a cushy number right now). Even then, Mum still has a shedload to cope with, and gets rather less sympathy from the third offspring than she needs.

To top it all off, I've been jobhunting for eighteen months, and not visiting them very often was one of my coping strategies, because Mum just drove me bats about it... so there's me being selfish too, and it looks as though I'll have to spend more time visiting them, which will in turn make it harder for me to cope with the stress I have...

AG

Looking at it from the outside......

In theory, your brother's presence in the household has the potential to be of benefit to your parents, and to you, if only he seemed to be giving rather than taking. Your relationship with him must be coloured by your judgement of him. As he's recovering from the breakdown of a long-term relationship, he might be feeling very sorry for himself and in need of support and encouragement. He perhaps can't see other people's problems as he's too full of himself right now.

It's apparent that your mother needs support financially, emotionally and physically, and your father is in ever greater need of care. It may be worthwhile to call a family meeting to work out a way forward, but I think that it needs to be parked for a while to allow you all to recover from the stress of the Christmas events.

In the meantime, your own situation is top priority.

I hope this helps.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump! (Hosts may choose to make this the start of a new thread for 2013, but bear in mind that many of the concerns on this thread by their nature may persist for years.)

My 90 y.o. mother has now moved on (more or less) from seeking a techno-fix for all her ills, but is clearly worsening physically. She has suffered for a few years form urinary incontinence - to the point where she deemed it too much trouble for her to travel to the wedding in November of one of her 3 grandchildren (which is the sort of occasion she normally loves).

But beginning about then she has also been suffering from bowel incontinence, which I fear is much harder to deal with and more embarassing in company (diapers don't suffice). She can't be too far now from the stage where she may have to move in to residential care.

But, despite frequently moaning about how these physical frailties are affecting her, she is adamant that she is determined to stay in her own apartment, where she has lived for ~30 years, helped by various visiting helpers under Australian government provisions. Her mind is still sharp, but she is good at cognitive dissonance!

As we live 3000km away in another country it is hard to do much directly except keep listening (by weekly phone call) and visiting every few months, usually when a crisis erupts.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has she had the bowel incontinence investigated by a Dr, Tukai? When I worked with elderly people and later with my own dad such things can sometimes be quite simple to deal with.

[As an aside the AS Hosts decided NOT to close and reopen a new thread at New Year but will leave it until this one gets considerably bigger.]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

WW: thank you for that helpful remark, in contrast to my own ignorance. (That's a genuine thanks, not sarcasm, by the way.)

Yes, she has certainly had a doctor on the case, as it was her own GP who prescribed an enema (and may be more, I don't know) which was given to here under observation in the local hospital, where she stayed for a a couple of days.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Tukai It must be very hard when you live so far away.

My Mum is 92, can't walk, can only eat pureed food fed to her, has dementia and recognises nobody, sleeps nearly all day every day and is doubly incontinent. One of the family visits her every day in turn. Not for her sake or ours, but to be sure the home are taking good care of her (they are).

She is perfectly contented but it's time she went 'home' [Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have my sympathy, Boogie. My mum's last eight or so years were like that (she died last April aged 84). She was very well cared for in the geriatric wing of the local hospital, where my dad visited her every day; it was really far harder for him than for her.

And, like Tukai, I felt completely useless being on the other side of the planet.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

My Mum is 92, can't walk, can only eat pureed food fed to her, has dementia and recognises nobody, sleeps nearly all day every day and is doubly incontinent. One of the family visits her every day in turn. Not for her sake or ours, but to be sure the home are taking good care of her (they are).

My great uncle is in this position at the moment and due to my own ill-health I can't visit as often as I like. It's very distressing and as it's the first time I've seen such a slow decline (most of my relatives have died suddenly too young).
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

We can see what is happening to our aged parents. But can we so easily see what their decline is doing to us and our loved ones? My dad is 87, and going downhill faster and faster.

For me at first it was chest pains. Went to the cardiologist, who said the ol' ticker is fine; she thinks it's all stress. Then came the rashes on my ankles and wrists- the same as the ones I had when my mother was dying. Now it's gastric reflux.

How is elder care affecting you?

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum isn't elderly, but she is getting older and the balance is starting to tip. I'm going to see her next weekend for the first time since her very close friend's death, and am rather dreading it from the point of view of the greater reliance on me that this reduction in her already small, but very tight, circle feels likely to bring.

This may just be in my head, of course, but if so it's having a real field day at the moment....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

I sometimes dread visiting my father, for fear of seeing what else has gone wrong.

Having an aging parent is sort of like having a child, but backwards. Kids grow more independent with time, whereas frail elderly relatives grow more dependent. There are moments when things seem to get better, perhaps as the result of their taking a new medication. But it's always downhill in the long run.

All this takes a toll on us. When my father was temporarily in a nursing home I started feeling what I thought were chest pains. The cardiologist checked me out, and assured me it was "just" stress. Then came the acid reflux. Now the same type of skin rashes that I experienced when my mother was ill are back.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
I sometimes dread visiting my father, for fear of seeing what else has gone wrong.

Having an aging parent is sort of like having a child, but backwards. Kids grow more independent with time, whereas frail elderly relatives grow more dependent.

Yes [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew the time would come when I needed this thread ....

I'm next-of-kin to an elderly spinster aunt, 40 years a Methodist missionary in India and now 88. She is showing signs of confusion and absent-mindedness, and her local church are getting progressively more concerned for her.

There's lots of stuff going on, but what brings me here is how to get her to stop driving. She only drives locally and dreads losing her independence, but we all believe she's not safe on the roads any longer. I was hoping the car would fail its MoT - but no! I was hoping her optician would call it a day - but no! What would be the ethical position if I wrote to her GP, expressing concern? Is he bound to do something? I know that he can't discuss her case with me without her consent - but I can make a one-way call? (UK context BTW)

Any wisdom gratefully received. I sense I'll be back here quite a bit over the next few months.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We wrote to my grandmother's GP a couple of times and he was very responsive to family concerns. Our particular issue was that my grandfather was my grandmother's carer, and he was adamant that he was coping. But he wasn't coping, and my grandmother was the one who was suffering. The GP made a couple of drop-in visits "just in passing" which let him see how things were himself. We were very grateful.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
I knew the time would come when I needed this thread ....

I'm next-of-kin to an elderly spinster aunt, 40 years a Methodist missionary in India and now 88. She is showing signs of confusion and absent-mindedness, and her local church are getting progressively more concerned for her.

There's lots of stuff going on, but what brings me here is how to get her to stop driving. She only drives locally and dreads losing her independence, but we all believe she's not safe on the roads any longer. I was hoping the car would fail its MoT - but no! I was hoping her optician would call it a day - but no! What would be the ethical position if I wrote to her GP, expressing concern? Is he bound to do something? I know that he can't discuss her case with me without her consent - but I can make a one-way call? (UK context BTW)

Any wisdom gratefully received. I sense I'll be back here quite a bit over the next few months.

Some doctors are more interested than others, but AFAIK they have to sign off the driving licence when it's renewed and so it would be a good thing to alert the surgery. It would also raise the question of her ongoing health problems. She may have a urinary infection which could be the cause of the confusion.

If you haven't got power of attorney yet, my advice is not to leave it any longer. It's a nightmare trying to manage the financial affairs of someone whose bank won't speak to you.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you haven't got power of attorney yet, my advice is not to leave it any longer. It's a nightmare trying to manage the financial affairs of someone whose bank won't speak to you.

This! Very much so! Don't wait!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Double-posting to add: If you can, get both a financial AND a medical power-of-attorney.

If you get the medical POA, that should take care of any problem with dealing with the doctor and if your aunt's mental acuity is beginning to deteriorate there will come a time when she can no longer make her own health care decisions. Believe me, it is very much Not Fun to be making medical care decisions on behalf of another but it is essential.

[typo edit]

[ 25. February 2013, 20:36: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016