homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, don't give up please... if you liken it to 'basic training' for the army, only spiritual, you won't be far off. But stick it out!

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your encouragement birdseye. Nice of you. [Smile]

But the question is .... why should I stick it out? I can. But would it be right? Is it what God wants?

*sigh*. Still in the desert wasteland at the moment.

I switch regularly between this feeling and this feeling.

And my husband just keeps telling me I need to grow up.

And methinks he may have a point.

I'm preaching on John the Baptist - just emerged from the wilderness - next week.

Here's hoping! [Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think your husband is a bit right really - being formed for ministry is not simply continuing Christian discipleship...The 'falling in love' bit is over (at least for the time being) and you've committed to being apprenticed to the daily work of God's kingdom, -you're going to end up being 'looked up to' or at least 'looked to' rightly or wrongly, by lots of people, and you are also going to have a certain authority and position -I think of it like a liveried servant in a King's court -humanly speaking no better than any other person, and certainly no closer to the King, but with a particular significance, and greater responsibilities... your relationship with God's people is changed somewhat... in that now you are no longer simply a happy little sheep, you are instead to be entrusted with pastoring his people... and God gives us free will -so being trained in personal discipline is invaluable...

Of course we do nothing alone... all the good we do, we do in God's strength -however if we don't get up and get on with it,the things that we should be doing won't be done... But if we DO develop the discipline to simply be obedient and get on with it... we find that God works for good in it all -and it's really exciting!

Faithful obedience is the order of the day... it might not taste great or excite us, but like an athlete's training routine, it works.

Grit your teeth and keep praying, it's worth it.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
I have to admit I found some of the information on the CofE website pretty daunting - the full Criteria for Selection seem to suggest the CofE are looking for supermen and superwomen rather than mere mortals! For anyone who has been through the CofE (or a similar) discernment process, do the Criteria for Selection become less daunting when you discuss them with your DDO or do they remain terrifying?! This isn't to say this has put me off, but it's made me feel even more inadequate than I felt before even God...

For me they do remain somewhat terrifying. Especially during the times when I wonder what on earth God would possibly want a quiet introverted muppet like me to have anything to do with ministry.

quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:
Evensong, don't give up please... if you liken it to 'basic training' for the army, only spiritual, you won't be far off. But stick it out!

And having ventured into an army recruitment office for a chat with their officers careers advisor when I was back at uni the similarities do seem to continue, right down to the three day selection. Big obvious leadership experience being among my shortcomings.

Anyway during a fairly large pause in the selection process I'd started to try and convince myself that perhaps I was just kidding myself that I was experiencing a call. It was at this point that dad (and having your dad as your vicar does seem to add an extra layer of complexity to the situation) decided that it was time for me to have an informal chat with the new DDO.

Chat with DDO went well and i find that now I'm booked onto a mini pre BAP one day panel in February to help discern further where this continual spiritual poking from God will lead me.

And? I'm terribly nervous but also glad that the process has started moving forwards again and I'm no longer sat in a sort of limbo.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all who post here wherever you may be in the discernment process...sorry not to not name you all this evening but I'm setting off on the long journey to my BAP tomorrow and fear I may never get to bed if I don't go now!

[Votive] You are all very much in my prayers.

Harmony Hope

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for you, as you approach your BAP, Harmony Hope. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

I've been thinking a lot, praying a lot, and mostly chickening out of doing anything more than that.

Above all, I need to find the courage to talk to my husband. It would be wrong for me to explore this any further without talking to him first. But... well, that's a scary scary thought.

[head >>> sand]

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for all of you in the discernment process...and especially for HH as she approaches her BAP. May the blessing of God be upon each and every one.

[Votive]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all for the advice above. Definitely keen to get a spiritual director - it's the sort of thing I've thought about doing for a long time.

I've now finished reading through the previous thread to this (all 28 pages!), and am really heartened how people have stuck with the discernment process even when things have been really hard, or seemed to be going nowhere. The support I feel for people on this thread is fantastic too.

[Votive] for all those struggling in any way.

HH - [Votive] for the BAP.

aig - does a fall term in New Haven CT mean you're at the Yale Divinity School? If so, do you know Rev Dr Maggi Dawn, Dean of Marquand Chapel? She was my and my wife's chaplain at University.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
do you know Rev Dr Maggi Dawn, Dean of Marquand Chapel?

Yes I am at Yale Divinity School (Westcott House do an exchange programme with YDS) and I do know Maggi Dawn, who preached a superb sermon on Friday at the Eucharist in Marquand Chapel.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful! [Smile]

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Thanks for your encouragement birdseye. Nice of you. [Smile]

But the question is .... why should I stick it out? I can. But would it be right? Is it what God wants?

Sometimes, I think it's not so much about 'what God wants' - which is often a rather confused way of interpreting our own feelings and can obfuscate simple realities - but about straightforward common sense gifting and utilizing what God's given us. Do you believe you are moderately well enough equipped - given the appropriate training and considering your own pre-disposition - to do the task of an ordained priest in the Australian Anglican Church?

I think parish ministry is more about everyday graft and level-headedness than anything else. A basically sound intelligence, good empathy skills, broadness of approach to scriptural understanding. Do you have these? If so, why shouldn't God want you to be in parish ministry?

Perfection isn't required; Damascan Road experiences, neither. A fabulous theologian might be fatal in a sensitive pastoral situation, and a talented evangelist useless in leading a parish. But persistence, obedience, self-effacement and an eye for practical details however go a long way towards the ordinary day to day slog of parish priesthood.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Birdseye and Anselmina: brilliant posts both. My thanks. They are walking with me as I face the Spanish Inquisition next week.

@Anselmina

I've had a Damascus Road experience. I am considered a reasonably fabulous theologian (I've won awards at the University level) and I have an eye for practical detail. I have been branded very "down to earth" by my superiors and colleagues.

My biggest problem?

I don't like parish ministry. Never have. Never felt called to it. Knew it from the first moment of my call.

I remember looking at my parish priest in 2005 and thinking "nope - that's not me. Yet something is still pulling me".

I always had a very particular call to education and school chaplaincy (I'm starting my Diploma of Teaching in Secondary Education in Feb).

I'm much happier on the fringes than in the middle of the people of God.

I'm happier working in a secular context, representing the visible church, than being at the centre.....

But try explaining that to a church that is still based on a parochial model......?

It's rather an edgy road to walk.....

Especially since we have little or no distinctive diaconate in this diocese.

And especially since I still feel strongly pulled to the sacraments.

That leaves me in something of a no-mans land.

[ 04. December 2012, 12:22: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong

I rarely post about my own vocation, partly because it sounds poncy (lay people aren't supposed to have vocations), and partly because it does not fit the way my denomination thinks. My biggest problem with it is the denomination sees the vocation (Oh I know they do that believe me) and thinks minister. Every time I go forward on minister I get an immediate and firm NO from God.

Right at seventeen I was reading Calvin's Institutes and I read of his five offices of the Church: Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, Teacher and Elder. When I got to teacher, I immediately said "That is what I am called to". My fathers big response was you had to be a pastor to be a teacher! So I gave it up.

I went to Uni, got a decent degree, found a career and discovered I am a researcher. I like questions, I like trying to find the answers to questions but I do not like being at the centre or in the spotlight. I have low interest in attaining institutional power. I have always had far more given me than I want. I know that is rare, I know there are people out their striving for it but my instinct is to walk away. As far as I can see the only reason to have such power is to get things done and most of the time the demands far out weight the ability to do things.

Now lets start the second story. In all fairness it started with the break up of a disasterous relationship. I had to find a way forward and knew I did not want a relationship or really any sort of developing of social activities immediately. I decided to use this as an opportunity and do some church related study, think reader/lay preacher level. Did it for about four years, I think I even looked at going into the ministry, got a no and got on with life.

Five years later went to a reunion for the course and did not bother filling in the form with what I had been doing. Not much as far as I was concerned although I had recently been ordained an elder. I got the information sheet back and the way you do, glanced at my listing. "Jengie has been exploring the church in modern culture" (well words to that effect). Hang on where did that come from!!! I was also playing with a thesis topic. Something about the role of vision in congregations and wondering about a mixed methods doctorate and devising all sorts of questionnaires to actually measure the depth of sharing of a vision of the congregation.

The next stage was a couple of years later when I put out a fleece like Gideon. I signed myself up for an Open University course which was a master at Sociology. I could do this as my first degree is an Arts degree and they excepted onto the course students with Arts first degrees. This degree is in Mathematics! I have a language difficulty and under pressure I could not write essays (my English deteriorated to a level where it was clearly problematic and I write very slowly). So my expectation was to fail at the first hurdle i.e. the first essay. A pass grade on the essay was 40%, I scored 53%. By the time I had finished on a good day I could write essays that were achieving over 80%! This was despite having depression serious enough that it took about an hour to read a paragraph at one stage.

So I thought well I have done that I better look at a doctorate. I asked people and they repeatedly said "Got to Birmingham". So I looked, found the theology department had a member of staff who looked as though he was interested in what my refined question had become. Approached him and he accepted me as a student. That relationship has worked! Funding has come through and I am in writing it up. God willing, I will graduate with a doctorate in Theology around this time next year.

It looks oddly as if I will be a teacher despite everything. Indeed there are a few people who use that title for me already. The doctorate is in applied theology, not in divinity, it should be of use to the church but will the church use it? I have no idea and the church is free not to use it and perhaps set me to other tasks if it so wishes.

Life is weird.

Oh by the way my denomination is still trying to hint that I should put my name forward to become a minister. I can't see why.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, undoubtedly God needs fabulous theologians as well as parish ministers. Perhaps your calling involves being in a place - as an ordained person - where your gifts in theology are very much needed, academically for the integrity of the Church. And wherein priests like me - who love theology but neglect it woefully because there's too much parish admin and visiting to do! - can find our inspiration and refreshment.

I have a very subjective view of what the priesthood entails - but God likes to confound our limited ideas of what he can enable us to achieve for him. I tend to emphasize my own view and experience, and I forget or underestimate that there's a lot more to it than that!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
...but God likes to confound our limited ideas of what he can enable us to achieve for him...

Quotes file.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite at the vocation-to-ordained-ministry stage that this thread focuses on, but you are all incredibly supportive, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have an interview for a fellowship run by the diocese that combines social justice/community service work in a parish setting with intentional community with the other fellows. I'm graduating from college/university this spring and looking around for jobs, but this has been my dream for about six months.

I have a phone interview tomorrow morning, and really hope it goes well. I would appreciate your prayers!

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for you, Bostonman.

And for Evensong, as she seeks her path.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back from selection... Some really positive bits...will hear week today. Thank you so much for your prayers, I felt surrounded by LOve. Will know the decision a week today.

Wondering if anyone else on SoF was there too... BAP at Ely 3-5 Dec?

Harmony hope

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for you as you wait for the decision.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Evensong

I rarely post about my own vocation, partly because it sounds poncy (lay people aren't supposed to have vocations), and partly because it does not fit the way my denomination thinks. My biggest problem with it is the denomination sees the vocation (Oh I know they do that believe me) and thinks minister. Every time I go forward on minister I get an immediate and firm NO from God.

Hey Jengie.

Thank you for sharing the story of your vocation. I ( like you ) believe lay people have vocations. In fact, I think all of us are called by God to exercise our particular gifts for our own flowering so that we might benefit the Kingdom.

Delighted to hear the doctorate came together and you'll be finishing next year hopefully. Well done!!! [Smile]

As to the church using you: they might, they might not. But if they don't, no doubt you will be led to other areas where you can exercise your gifts.

As to the denomination seeing your vocation and thinking minister: funny that. I was just speaking with my systematic theology lecturer along similar lines. I asked him why he became a Rev. He said something along the lines of "well, in my line of interest (doctorate in systematic theology - hard core academic - can't really see him as a pastor) it was just naturally expected that you would go on to ordained ministry. It just seemed the done thing for someone with such a passion for theology.

Sounds like you're in the same boat perhaps?

I think there may be grounds for such an idea in that the church wants you to represent them. They wan't you to be given the "authority" of the church so that you might become an "ambassador" of the church. It glorifies the church in a particular way perhaps. Yet it's not the standard pastoral parish priest model at all is it? Or perhaps they expect you to be that too? And if that's not you (like it's not me) then I can totally understand your hesitation. [Big Grin]

Best wishes for the journey! [Votive]

quote:
Evensong, undoubtedly God needs fabulous theologians as well as parish ministers. Perhaps your calling involves being in a place - as an ordained person - where your gifts in theology are very much needed, academically for the integrity of the Church.

Oh if only it were that easy! I might get good marks at Uni, but I'm not interested in becoming an academic. I like and need people too much. Dead end there. [Frown]

quote:

I have a very subjective view of what the priesthood entails - but God likes to confound our limited ideas of what he can enable us to achieve for him. I tend to emphasize my own view and experience, and I forget or underestimate that there's a lot more to it than that!

I hope you're right. We shall see...

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Not quite at the vocation-to-ordained-ministry stage that this thread focuses on, but you are all incredibly supportive, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have an interview for a fellowship run by the diocese that combines social justice/community service work in a parish setting with intentional community with the other fellows. I'm graduating from college/university this spring and looking around for jobs, but this has been my dream for about six months.

I have a phone interview tomorrow morning, and really hope it goes well. I would appreciate your prayers!

That sounds really cool Bostonman. Social justice/community work in a parish setting with intentional community would be totally up my alley too!

What's your degree in?

How did the interview go??

[Votive] [Votive] harmony hope. Hope the waiting doesn't kill you!!

[ 07. December 2012, 13:32: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Oh if only it were that easy! I might get good marks at Uni, but I'm not interested in becoming an academic. I like and need people too much. Dead end there.

I'm bound to say I didn't say anything about it being easy! Nothing to do with any kind of ministry is, imo. Does academia mean not having anything to do with people? I don't know myself, but surely the best academics are those who really know and understand people? At least, if their work is to have any useful merit.

If parish ministry isn't for you, nor academic work, then I suppose you must be thinking of some form of sector or specialist ministry eg, 'canon theologian', 'canon evangelist'. Or some kind of specific area of support or creativity. Though I don't know how the Australian Church works in that respect. Practical theologians have a great deal to do with people. Though that does often seem to grow out of parochial experience.

Maybe it's not so much finding your own particular niche in church work, but finding out first what needs to be done and taking it from there?

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong... I am totally unqualified to comment on your situation, so excuse my butting in, but I just wanted to say that I am an academic (not a theologian, though) and for me it's all about people. I mean, I love my research too... but what I love most about doing it, is that I then get to talk about it to people who are actually interested to know.

[Votive] for you. I hope it all comes right for you.

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

I'm an academic too, and I agree with Pia. Spending time alone in the library is in fact a small, and diminishing, part of the job. One of the greatest challenges and pleasures is sharing your ideas - with students, with other academics at conferences and seminars.

But it doesn't have to be either academia or ordained ministry - and people do go back and forth between teaching/research and other kinds if ministry - Rowan Williams for example.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an out of date description of my doctorate. It is not the sort you get if you spend three solid years in the library.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
Oh if only it were that easy! I might get good marks at Uni, but I'm not interested in becoming an academic. I like and need people too much. Dead end there.

I'm bound to say I didn't say anything about it being easy! Nothing to do with any kind of ministry is, imo.
Indeed.

I spent around fifteen agonizing hours on a sermon this week only to be told by my supervisor when I presented my rough draft that she disagreed with my basic premise and I would I please delete this selected paragraph.

That essentially left my entire sermon on absolutely no sure ground at all. So I will be presenting tripe to the congregation tomorrow.

I was so peeved by the end of it, that I came come and created this meme to blow off steam.

I currently feel like a skittish horse jumping around a very cramped stall before the shotgun goes off for the start. Clamped in claustrophobic!

In terms of the life of an academic: yeah. Sorry folks, you're quite right - it is about people. My bad.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I spent around fifteen agonizing hours on a sermon this week only to be told by my supervisor when I presented my rough draft that she disagreed with my basic premise and I would I please delete this selected paragraph.

You've got 15 hours to do that????? A bit of advice - on sunday, get up to speak in church, drop your notes and speak from your heart. The study will have put you into the passage and you can now apply it to your hearers.

[coding]

[ 08. December 2012, 11:15: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

No way hose am I adlibbing. This is only my second ever sermon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite right Evensong. The great Martin Luther once tried that on the basis that the Holy Spirit would give him the words to speak.

After the service he was asked "did the Holy Spirit speak?"

Yes, said Luther. S/he said "Martin you have been a very lazy man"

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

That is the general gist around my diocese. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

and btw, If you're all wondering what my terrible premise was it was that John came proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins by water and Jesus would come with the Holy Spirit and fire.

And that this is what the sacrament of baptism today says. We repent, we are forgiven and we receive the HS through Christ.

Terrible heresy innit?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and btw, If you're all wondering what my terrible premise was it was that John came proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins by water and Jesus would come with the Holy Spirit and fire.

And that this is what the sacrament of baptism today says. We repent, we are forgiven and we receive the HS through Christ.

Terrible heresy innit?

[Roll Eyes]

I'm with you, Evensong.

I'd go with calling on the Holy Spirit to help you to tweak it so that it will say what he wants to say to the people, and try to let go and trust him.

[Votive]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever you preach on I find that people will sometimes go away with a message that was totally different from the one you may have been trying to get across. Which is fine, the message that they heard thorugh you may have been the one thing that they needed to hear.

Much like if you get eight people to read a bible passage you will end up with at least ten different views on what the passage meant to them.

Those that have ears to hear and all that.

[Votive] for tomorrow Evensong

[ 08. December 2012, 13:55: Message edited by: Ceannaideach ]

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

You've got 15 hours to do that????? A bit of advice - on sunday, get up to speak in church, drop your notes and speak from your heart. The study will have put you into the passage and you can now apply it to your hearers.

[coding]

Winging it like that only works well if you have years of preaching experience.

Plus there is a risk of rambling on.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Quite right Evensong. The great Martin Luther once tried that on the basis that the Holy Spirit would give him the words to speak.

After the service he was asked "did the Holy Spirit speak?"

Yes, said Luther. S/he said "Martin you have been a very lazy man"

[Killing me] That's great!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, reading what you've written over the past couple of weeks, I am wondering whether you should trek over to Brisbane Diocese. Here we are MOST interested in accepting people for ministry who believe themselves called to be school chaplains, and there is a shortage of school chaplains who are ordained. (This is for our Anglican schools.)

Half the people currently in formation are there FOR school chaplaincy. There are even scholarships available for people who want to be school chaplains.

Why don't you ring Bishop Geoff Smith and have a talk with him?

BTW, your central idea about John the Baptist is the sort of thing I'd be preaching (I took a different tack today, but your's is equally valid).

One last idea: you may not be called to parish ministry, and it may bore you silly/drive you to distraction... But it is still a worthwhile experience to have in the course of formation. You learn the bread and butter of ordained ministry - which is the same whether in a school, hospital or whatever context. If you've got issues with your training clergy, contact whoever's in charge of parish assignments for ordinands and have a chat with them (well, that's what I'd do). Run your sermon past afew other people and see what they think of it. Maybe it's possible to a placement or series of placements with some school chaplains? or other fringe ministry chaplains?

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another diocese you could try is Canberra-Goulburn. The bishop values missional and fringe ministry OVER and above parish ministry, and is prepared to back those who have a strong calling to do it. The only catch is you basically have to find your own funding. But where God calls, as the logic goes, God provides...
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Bless you Nunc. I needed to hear those words.

Not because I am going to move.....but because delineating and clarifying my original sense of call will help with deciding the next step.

[ 09. December 2012, 12:36: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

[Votive] Holding everyone on this thread in my prayers.

I am hoping to hear about my selection decision tomorrow... please remember me in your prayers.

thank you
Harmony Hope

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

[Votive] for you tomorrow

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Struggling with uni and depression - I know where God wants me to end up, I just wonder and worry about how I'll get there.

[Votive] for Evensong and others

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Thank you all for your prayers... They said yes!! I am delighted and exhausted all at once!

Harmony hope

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been watching for this post! Congratulations, Harmony Hope [Yipee]
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Smile]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

So pleased for you, HH. I've been thinking of you.
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news! Starting training in September?
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

Fantastic news [Yipee]

--------------------

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Harmonyhope!
Evensong and Jade Constable, my prayers are with you.

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news Harmony Hope!
Where are you going to train?

Update from me: saw the DDO again yesterday, he is happy for me to go to a 2nd BAP in January 2014. He wants me to do another placement at an Anglo-Catholic place and to join another potential ordinands' group.

Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

LS that's really good news! And good to hear that you're keeping on walking the path.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016