homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For everyone who is preparing to go to BAP.

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

- Posted      Profile for GreenPixie   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm finding it very interesting reading about eveyone's experiences. I'm off to my my BAP next month but I'm a bit of an oddity- I've applied for MSE training (Minister in Secular Employment) which would link into my work as a nurse.

--------------------
"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits" Dylan Moran

Posts: 6 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to The Ship, GreenPixie.

I hope you find your right direction.

Meanwhile, Board descriptions map what goes where, and Hosts are here to provide extra signage if needed.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

- Posted      Profile for GreenPixie   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you kindly!

--------------------
"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits" Dylan Moran

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreenPixie:
I'm finding it very interesting reading about eveyone's experiences. I'm off to my my BAP next month but I'm a bit of an oddity- I've applied for MSE training (Minister in Secular Employment) which would link into my work as a nurse.

Welcome to the ship GreenPixie.

How does the MSE training work? What do you have to do and what can you do once you're trained?

We don't have them here but it was mentioned in a mission plan prayer recently....

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

If I'm accepted for training I'll train alongside the other ordinands and readers who are training part time on the All Saints (Warrington) course. This will be immense fun as I work full time!Yay!

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For your BAP and continuing vocation, ministry, and contributions to the ship Green Pixie.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

Thank you! This is a good place to learn more about MSE and work place based ministry:
http://www.chrism.org.uk/

--------------------

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] GreenPixie and all with BAPs coming up.

I'm still here, still lurking... The feelings don't go away, but I am trying to be realistic. I have been thinking about maybe exploring the possibility of training as a Reader, as I think I could potentially bring something to that role. But I was googling today and found out that the same restrictions apply around people who are divorced and remarried, so I guess that rules that out... (I don't have any excuse. My first husband was a thoroughly nice chap. I was just too young when I married him, and fell out of love with him. I didn't set out to treat him badly, but I know that I hurt him terribly. No excuses. My fault.) So there you go. It's not meant to be...

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might be worth pressing that point about divorce and remarriage further, Pia. I don't know where you are, and therefore what the current rules are where you are, but I certainly knew at least one Reader who had been divorced and remarried before she was accepted for Reader training (although that was 20-odd years ago and in Southwark, which you might have expected- certainly at that time- to be more open to flexibility about this kind of thing).
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pia, you should seriously talk to your Warden of Readers. It's quite possible that you would be able to obtain a Faculty under Canon C4 if your situation is as you've just explained it here.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a post to say congrats to all ordained priest on Sunday, including one Yorkshire shipmate done at the Minster. [Yipee]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for anyone off to a BAP tomorrow.
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Bishop,

Just to let you know, we recommend Masha for training for ordained ministry.

All the best,

Nice BAP advisers.

I may be paraphrasing there but: [Yipee]

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Masha that is wonderful! [Yipee]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news [Yipee]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

...and now the next step...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allelulia! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pia I can't find all your previous posts and if there is something I amnot aware of? But have you explored this with the DDO and warden of readers?

I know both readers and priest who are divorced and remarried or married to a divorced person (which is the same thing)
In fact our current vicar is married to a divorcee. Yhough they said it was not easy - lots of discussions and htey ahd to get and archbishop's faculty.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Allelulia! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for sharing the excellent news Masha. Congratulations! And thank you God. [Axe murder]

--------------------

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely news Masha - thank you.

Isn't there some other shipmate off to BAP tomorrow? Prayers for you. [Votive]

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news, Masha. I am so pleased. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

[Votive] for anyone off to a BAP this week.

Zacchaeus - sorry for the cryptic post. I have been variously fighting/trying to ignore/cautiously considering a vague sense of call. I did post briefly about this months ago before sticking my head firmly back in the sand again. Part of my problem is that Mr Pia II is fairly vehemently atheist... at the moment I'm scared to raise the issue even with him, let alone anyone else (and if he isn't prepared to be supportive there's no point talking to anyone else, I figure). I thought that Reader ministry might seem less threatening to him, as well as playing to what might potentially be seen as my strengths. I got discouraged when I read the rules around remarried divorcees, not least because, as I said, I don't have any 'excuse' - Mr Pia I was not a monster, far from it (if anything, the monster on that occasion was me [Frown] ). But it looks as if that may not be the total non-starter that I thought it was, so ... err ... I'm back sitting on the fence and wondering how to raise the issue with Mr Pia II again. (Slap me with some wet fish, someone! [Roll Eyes] )

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pia

I suspect saying "Yes I have a divorce, actually it was mainly my fault and I acknowledge that, I do not want to repeat it" is pretty good reason for being granted a faculty. What they are not wanting is people who have not sorted out the blame issues from their own divorce or treat divorce as the automatic solution to going through tough times in a marriage.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm off to my BAP tomorrow! I thought it would be ages -- November -- and suddenly place came up, and now there's only one more sleep before it. Except that I'm not expecting to sleep much tonight...

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

[Votive] May it go well Niminypiminy.

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Praying for you niminypiminy [Votive]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Masha [Yipee]

Niminypiminy [Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

[Votive] Niminypiminy

Thank you for those thoughts, Jengie. That is a helpful and more ositive way of looking at things. (For what it's worth, I've been with Mr Pia II for over 20 years, so am not a commitment-o-phobe...!)

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Thinking of you, niminypiminy. [Votive]

Pia, I agree with others who say that you should not exclude yourself on account of your divorce. The pastoral car crash of the faculty system is much improved and less intrusive than you might imagine. [Votive]

Edited to add: I have just been given the details of the diocesan vocations assessors for my second crack at the process, so will hope to make contact with them soon.

[ 11. June 2013, 12:39: Message edited by: Laxton's Superba ]

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

*positive

(Did preview, just didn't see the glaring mistake. And missed edit window. [brick wall] )

Thank you, and good luck with everything Laxton's Superba. [Votive]

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Pia

I suspect saying "Yes I have a divorce, actually it was mainly my fault and I acknowledge that, I do not want to repeat it" is pretty good reason for being granted a faculty. What they are not wanting is people who have not sorted out the blame issues from their own divorce or treat divorce as the automatic solution to going through tough times in a marriage.

Jengie

What Jengie says.

They will want to know that there is nothing lurking in the woodwork to cause embarrasment to the church. They will also want to know that there are no unresolved issues with past spouse/children from that relationship.

And they will wnat to know the cause of the past marriage break up, what you learned from it and that you are sorry, and won't make the same mistake again.

And yes they may want to see a supportive spouse, even if they are not a Christian.

It must be worth some conversations, as maybe Mr Pia needs time to adjust to the idea
[Smile]

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Vertis
Apprentice
# 16279

- Posted      Profile for Vertis   Email Vertis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after two years of people suggesting that I have had a vocation, and many frank conversations with various priests who are frankly frustrated with me, I now have an appointment set to meet the DDM in early July.

It would be wrong to say I have no sense of vocation - sometimes it is very strong - but my misgivings about the Church keep wobbling it, so it's in the context of Reader ministry that my first conversation will take place.

If I could become illustrative for a moment, it feels like I'm standing before the Church and, throwing my hands up, saying "Oh guys, I don't know. What do you think?"

Well the PCC know now, and I've been invited to preach in a couple of weeks' time. I've no idea where this is going (though I have my suspicions).

Posts: 14 | From: Monmouthshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Welcome aboard Vertis.
I think you have a very sane attitude to the process. If God wants you in his ministry and you open yourself to that possibility, then que sera, sera. [Votive] for you.

Vertis
Apprentice
# 16279

- Posted      Profile for Vertis   Email Vertis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, LS. If you compare my registration with my post-count, you'll see I'm not usually of the mind that my views are worth sharing, so the process will be interesting for me. It's also a comfort: I'm tired of trying to wrestle with the issues all by myself, and there's something comforting about sharing it with the DDM and asking what the church thinks.

Two clear things though: I can't take my career seriously, and that's a sense that's been growing for years. Also, I have a wife and a young child, so whatever happens needs to be right for them too.

Posts: 14 | From: Monmouthshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Hello Vertis, and good luck with everything. [Votive] for you...

And thanks to everyone who replied to my incoherent ramblings. I have finally had a conversation with my husband. He is not totally against the idea per se. However, he is against me taking on anything that takes up my (limited) free time and takes me away from the family. He points out that he does far more housework, cooking, and shopping than I do, and probably a good half of the childcare (though the kids are getting older now and that's a lot less onerous than it was). This is all true: we've always had a pretty role-reversed relationship, as I have always been the main - indeed, for almost half our relationship, the only - bread-winner, but I have come to take for granted that he will do all that he does, and that this will leave me free to work more, or - if I can 'manage down' my work, as I hope to do in the next year or so - to do other things. And I see now that that's not fair. So I am feeling a bit sad and sorry and very much aware of the selfishness of my thinking hitherto. And I am putting everything else on hold while I try to work to develop a more balanced home-life. If I can do that, and can still see a way to explore where to go next with these more spiritual things, then I will... eventually (once I've reassured Mr P that it won't impact on him too much). But if I can't... well, I have a duty to my family, and I kind of feel that this has been a salutary lesson in priorities and humility.

I am going to step off this thread for a while, but, who knows, one day I may return. Meanwhile, [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for all of you, and a huge thank you!

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pia

This is a wild card but I wonder if there is the equivalent of Training For Learning and Serving which certainly, when I did it, allowed the area of service to be your own family!

It just sounds to me as if spending time thinking about what your faith means within your family context and what you expect of your husband and so on might be really useful whatever the future holds. I suspect it to involve finding ways to talk, not to convert him, but so he knows what is going on. Finding ways to listen to him so that you can hear him; asking questions about how the balance is and whether you and him are happy in it. Yes the challenges you set yourself might be to take greater practical responsibility, tell your husband you love him regularly and perhaps give him space to do something he loves.

I have seen far too many people who have only thought about their spouses response and understanding very late on in the process. It nearly always then occurs that they are not as happy as the individual assumes. This is as true of Christian spouses as it is of atheist.

Whatever your vocation is he is part of it, not separate from it, and therefore needs to be involved.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Vertis, and all who are exploring.

Hope you find your path Pia.

I'm still not sure I've quite processed the idea that I'll be in formation from September. I'm going to Mirfield, which will be brilliant and I'm looking forward to it. Such a lot to do before then though!!

Masha

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Thank you, Jengie. Once again that is a very helpful post.

God luck with everything, Masha. It will be wonderful, and Mirfield is such a beautiful place to be...

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not posted in this thread before, but I am in the discernment process for becoming a contemplative nun, so I guess this is where I post about it. I am wondering if anyone else doing this. It seems to be an unusual vocation nowadays.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unusual maybe, but very valuable. Best wishes for your discernment process Fineline.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Angloid. [Smile]
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

You are at least the third person I know to go through this process. Of the two prior ones I recall, one did become a nun and one did a novice year before finding it was not for her.

Hope that you find the process of exploring a journey worth making in and of itself whatever the outcome.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

quote:
Originally posted by Masha:
Dear Bishop,

Just to let you know, we recommend Masha for training for ordained ministry.

All the best,

Nice BAP advisers.

I may be paraphrasing there but: [Yipee]

They wrote something a bit like that for me too.
[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Great news Niminypiminy! Congratulations. [Smile]

Never met anyone doing what you're doing Fineline. Would love to hear your experiences. I've often thought that if I didn't have a family I'd be in some kind of monastic tradition or order......(only one that sang tho - would have to have lots of singing [Big Grin] )

I have a mid-year catch up interview tomorrow. Third year in the process now! Possible deaconing at the beginning of next year. [Help] Scared shitless about it all but still going with the flow.....

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

NiminyPiminy - that's great news! [Yipee] Where will you be studying?

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

Yay!! [Yipee]

Come to Mirfield, it'll be brilliant.

Or go wherever you've got a place...not that I'm biased toward the institution I've chosen or anything..!

Hope all goes well in the next stage.

Masha, fellow ordinand. [Smile]

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

I'd love to go to Mirfield -- or somewhere else -- to train full time, but actually I'm going to train locally and part time. It'll be good in a different way, I think and hope.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016