homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news niminypiminy!
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddyPig
Apprentice
# 17732

- Posted      Profile for DaddyPig   Email DaddyPig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my first post on the ship, although I have found reading some of the comments really helpful when thinking about my own vocational journey - I have been spending time with my DDO for a few months now. I have begun to consider which colleges to view (I hope to be full time residential).

Theologically I would describe myself as Open Evangelical, my vocations advisor suggested that Ridley would seem a good fit.

When reading about the various colleges I have felt increasingly drawn towards Mirfield. Do you think that it is best to stay within your own tradition during training or to take the opportunity to explore another?

Masha - what drew you to Mirfield (congratulations by the way)?
O, I should probably mention that I have a young family.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard, DaddyPig!

If you care to post on it there is a specific welcome thread here where you can introduce yourself to the Ship in general. It will certainly be worthwhile for you to read the introduction to it.

Godspeed with your vocation and enjoy the cruise.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my first post on a vocations thread on the ship was back in 2006. Today I head off for the ordination retreat, will be priested on Saturday and will preside at communion for the first time on Sunday. Emotions are somewhere between [Yipee] and [Ultra confused] I'm hoping that after 3 days of retreat and some serious sleep [Snore] all will be a bit more serene [Angel]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1403 | From: The green heart of many roundabouts | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaddyPig:
Theologically I would describe myself as Open Evangelical, my vocations advisor suggested that Ridley would seem a good fit.

When reading about the various colleges I have felt increasingly drawn towards Mirfield. Do you think that it is best to stay within your own tradition during training or to take the opportunity to explore another?

Have a look at Ripon College Cuddesdon. The location is lovely and there are always lots of children which is good for young families. What Cuddesdon has going for it is a real breadth of tradition so there will be people who will be of a similar churchmanship and others who are very different. All good grist to the theological reflection mill!

--------------------

Posts: 1403 | From: The green heart of many roundabouts | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for you Poppy as you approach your ordination [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted here for the first time sometime in 2005- and like Poppy I will be ordained priest this weekend. This site has been a blessing and encouragement through all the years. It also introduced me to Poppy long before we met at Cuddesdon! I would echo her recommendation its a very good college with a breadth of tradition which honours your own but helps you understand others. Particularly useful in a 10 church benefice where there is a range of churchmanship [Smile]
[Votive] To all being ordained this weekend

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Jante and [Votive] for Poppy.

Almighty God, reveal to us what we do not know;
perfect in us what is lacking;
strengthen in us what we know;
and keep us faultless in your service;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
-----Clement, Bishop of Rome

Bless you both [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorry Jante and myriad others

[Votive] for all who are to be ordained this weekend [Votive]

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello DaddyPig!

What drew me to Mirfield was the incredible prayer life and the monastic aspect. The placement opportunities are great and the staff are lovely.

It's also offering me a great academic option, if that's your thing.

It's a smaller community than Cuddesdon, but the grounds are huge and lovely.

There are families with young children at Mirfield too, I remember a child learning to climb stairs just outside the Refectory when I was there last.

There are people from different traditions, and a really well-balanced mix of ages. It has a great community feel.

So, the place, the prayer and it just felt as though this was a place to prepare for the realities of life as a priest.

Go and look, and go to one of the CR monks' services. Beautiful. Also, the church is amazing.

Basically, that's it!

Masha

[ 26. June 2013, 17:42: Message edited by: Masha ]

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mirfield sounds wonderful! I'm a bit envious -- but I know that part time is right for me and my family.

[Votive] for all those being ordained this weekend [Votive]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 775 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes for all engaged in discernment, and prayers for all those to be ordained this petertide.

I'm currently working through the CofE "Yellow Form" (which is sadly only yellow if you print it on yellow paper), which masterfully manages to intersperse the mundane ("What is the date of your baptism", &c) with the mind-numbingly huge ("what is the nature of vocation?"). Genius.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
danwalters
Apprentice
# 8605

- Posted      Profile for danwalters     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first post in this thread... excited to see some other people going to or thinking about Mirfield! I'll be starting there in September too... in fact I just moved into college accommodation there last week with my young family (two boys, a 1 year old and an almost-4 year old), but still commuting to my work in Bolton at the moment.

Have you ordered your cassock yet?

Posts: 5 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

- Posted      Profile for GreenPixie   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all! Very happy to report I will be starting my MSE training on the All Saints Warrington based part time training course in September.
Wonderful to read about other folks' good news too.

--------------------
"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits" Dylan Moran

Posts: 6 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!

Well done GreenPixie!

Good to hear all this good news!

Niminypiminy, yep, you have to go with what's right for you and for some people that's residential, for others it's not. I got so much advice, most of it excellent, but it still came down to my own sense of what would work for me and where I felt I should be.

Bit scary to think we may well be ordained in a few years.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading and praying for everyone on this thread. [Votive]

And a special huzza for Niminy-Piminy! Your programme of study is a good one--we've had ordinands on it here.

Daddy Pig--I should visit both Ridley and Mirfield: they're both excellent but very different. Both very child-friendly.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7649 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreenPixie
Apprentice
# 16522

- Posted      Profile for GreenPixie   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all! Very happy to report I will be starting my MSE training on the All Saints Warrington based part time training course in September.
Wonderful to read about other folks' good news too.

--------------------
"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits" Dylan Moran

Posts: 6 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daddy-Pig: if you are visiting Ridley, have a look at Westcott as well. I trained with a number of people who had intended to go to Ridley and ended up at Westcott. If you visit several colleges you generally know which one will be right for you.

I am, like everyone else giving advice here, totally biased... [Smile]

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been impressed by the good relationships between all the Cambridge federation--Westcott, Ridley, Westminster, and Wesley House--which last, alas, we seem fated to lose as the Methodists have decided to send all their ordinands to some gloomy bastion in Derbyshire.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7649 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll put in a good word for Cranmer - it is a really good place. (If anyone is heading up here, drop me a message!)
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masha:

Bit scary to think we may well be ordained in a few years.

I know -- I have a very strong feeling of 'who said we were grown up enough to do this?'

I feel excited though about my part-time course - thank you Amos for bolstering my sense that it is a good one.

[Votive] that we all make wise decisions about our paths through training

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GreenPixie -fantastic news! [Yipee]

And prayers for everyone else here who is exploring their vocation.

Just wondering if anyone else is heading off for Cuddesdon in September?

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I've been impressed by the good relationships between all the Cambridge federation--Westcott, Ridley, Westminster, and Wesley House--which last, alas, we seem fated to lose as the Methodists have decided to send all their ordinands to some gloomy bastion in Derbyshire.

Anyone who thinks Cliff College is gloomy has not been. However I suspect they are actually moving to Queens Birmingham. Cliff has traditionally been lay and diaconal training not presbyterial. Deacons do not become ministers in Methodism.

Mind you the rumour is Anglicans are moving to Durham.

Jengie

[ 03. July 2013, 10:38: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20590 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Mind you the rumour is Anglicans are moving to Durham.

I think the truth of that rumour is closer to Durham University will be validating Anglican ordinands degrees in future. Not that all training will be moving up north.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 862 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
Not that all training will be moving up north.

Much as they would benefit from it. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12891 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by danwalters:
My first post in this thread... excited to see some other people going to or thinking about Mirfield! I'll be starting there in September too... in fact I just moved into college accommodation there last week with my young family (two boys, a 1 year old and an almost-4 year old), but still commuting to my work in Bolton at the moment.

Have you ordered your cassock yet?

[Votive] For your training and ministry Dan. Welcome to the ship.

[Votive] For all of you, whether exploring your vocation, training, or recently ordained.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4224 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

Oh my word. I have officially ordered my cassock and surplice.

Excited and still feeling weird!

Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I had an interview with an Abbot and I am formally applying to join an English Benedictine house. I would be very grateful for prayers as it's rather daunting!

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For Hezekiah

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4224 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Best wishes Hezekiah. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9471 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How wonderful, Hezekiah! You may be starting out on a wonderful form of life for you. I have very much appreciated the Benedictine houses in which I've taken retreats. Not my vocation, but a vital one.

As for me, I just moved in to my first parish. Physically, I'm settled. I think I have more names to learn than I ever did dates for church history classes... Transition is slow, which is probably good as I'm taking the time to get to know people before I rush headlong into a ton of programming or what have you.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
DaddyPig
Apprentice
# 17732

- Posted      Profile for DaddyPig   Email DaddyPig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for welcoming me aboard – I will pop over to the thread Welease Woderwick and introduce myself properly.

Thank you also for all of your suggestions regarding colleges, it is great to hear that people are really satisfied with their training institution. I guess that as much as you read literature regarding each one, the only way to get a good understanding of a place is to go and visit. I will start making appointments to view a number of them for after the summer break, maybe I might bump into some of you then!

Poppy and Jante, I was speaking to someone in my diocese who recently visited Cuddesdon as a guest lecturer and was really impressed by the welcome and the way students from different traditions mixed. My DDO has given me a prospectus, he thinks it would be great too [Smile]

Masha, thank you for posting about Mirfield - it does sound like a wonderful place to be. I have contacted the college and will pop up in a couple of months. [Votive] as you and Dan as you prepare for September and for everyone here exploring their vocation.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cuddesdon was also great for me - even though the Ordinand was my wife. She lived in college and I joined her at weekends - I was always very welcome, and we made lots of friends there. The chef was good and the common room friendly.

Here we are at the end of curacy looking forward to where God wants us to be next.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1159 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also if you go to Cuddesdon you get to use the wonderful new chapel.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1159 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except that while I thought it was beautiful piece of architecture I didn't find it wonderful for worshipping in [Frown]

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's quite the chapel; knocks spots off St Mike's. It looks lovely and light inside.

I guess a newly-built place of worship has to grow on you somewhat. Interesting to see what people make of it in ten or twenty years' time.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Panda
I think that 'growing on you' is right. I worshipped in it a year after leaving Cuddesdon and so expect there was an element of wishing for the same old chapel we'd worshipped in when I was there. Also even the present students were adapting to the new chapel. It is a beautiful place, and very light, but as I said above I found it difficult to worship in it.

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're moving in to Cuddesdon on Monday...not managed to see the inside of the new Chapel yet so excited to see it! [Biased]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

HH
Enjoy your time at Cuddesdon- it really is a wonderful place. I may even make it back for a visit and renew our acquaintance!

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

Off to my first residential week tomorrow! I'm full of first-day-at-new-school nerves, but excited too.

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I see in Llandaff we have a new DDO at last. [Smile] Really great guy too. If he can't sort out the feeling of being on Franklin's Last Expedition that seems to be the inevitable result of having *that conversation* with one's vicar, then, errrmmm, I'll end up agreeing with the Church in Wales Review that we have too many dioceses.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping this thread up before we fall off the bottom of AS.
I hope that everyone is well.

Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

[Votive]
For those beginning their training this month - whether residential or non residential, and for all still on the path of discernment.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking more at Fresh Expressions and therefore more seriously at Ordained Pioneer ministry. There are links to a really good Fresh Expressions ministry via the uni chaplaincy in my town so want to get involved in that once I've moved back for uni. Lots of ideas for more ministries if they let me get involved! Cranmer seems to be the most moderate/catholic-friendly college that does Pioneer training - is that a fair assessment? It seems a shame that only the evangelical colleges are getting involved.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5314 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
So I see in Llandaff we have a new DDO at last. [Smile] Really great guy too. If he can't sort out the feeling of being on Franklin's Last Expedition that seems to be the inevitable result of having *that conversation* with one's vicar, then, errrmmm, I'll end up agreeing with the Church in Wales Review that we have too many dioceses.

Let's hope he stays in place longer than most of his recent predecessors, to build up a bit of continuity and stability.
Posts: 6431 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Looking more at Fresh Expressions and therefore more seriously at Ordained Pioneer ministry. There are links to a really good Fresh Expressions ministry via the uni chaplaincy in my town so want to get involved in that once I've moved back for uni. Lots of ideas for more ministries if they let me get involved! Cranmer seems to be the most moderate/catholic-friendly college that does Pioneer training - is that a fair assessment? It seems a shame that only the evangelical colleges are getting involved.

Cuddesdon and CMS have a pioneer training course which looks to be a pretty good mix of practical and theory. STETS used to have one as well. The ordained pioneer route is not an easy one as there are two sets of interviews - one for pioneering and then the normal BAP. I'm fairly sure that you need a solid track record of starting and running a fresh expression to be considered for the ordained pioneer route but it is worth checking that out with your priest or DDO depending on where you are in the process.

--------------------

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Westcott House have a distinctive pathway for Pioneer ministry and share a tutor for this pathway with Ridley Hall. One ordinand in my cohort was on this pathway and he did specialised Life and Service with the Ridley ordinands who were sponsored for Pioneer ministry. He attended everything else, in terms of chapel and liturgical formation, at Westcott.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Poppy and aig, that's really helpful.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5314 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
wheelie racer
Shipmate
# 13854

- Posted      Profile for wheelie racer   Email wheelie racer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, after nearly 15 years of running, I've come to the point where I can't run away from ordination any longer. I am looking at going down the Minister in secular employment route. Anyone have experience of this? Also currently more than a little anxious about the fact that I am disabled and frequently use a wheelchair and wondering very much how the church deals with/ responds to disabled clergy and how much this will come into discussions in coming weeks/ months as part of the discernment process. Mel

--------------------
Disability Rights: To boldly go where everyone else has gone..

Posts: 171 | From: off this planet | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wheelie racer:
So, after nearly 15 years of running, I've come to the point where I can't run away from ordination any longer. I am looking at going down the Minister in secular employment route. Anyone have experience of this? Also currently more than a little anxious about the fact that I am disabled and frequently use a wheelchair and wondering very much how the church deals with/ responds to disabled clergy and how much this will come into discussions in coming weeks/ months as part of the discernment process. Mel

All clergy like all human beings are disabled and impaired in various ways. The fact you show some of your physical needs in a very visible way doesn't change that reality.

The 'wobbly ones' according to a wise man who ministered deeply though technically retired due to a crumbling spine describing those with particular challenges, bring great riches to the church if the church can stop seeing 'them' as recipients of church ministry and instead as participants who give and receive.

Working that out into practice is another matter. Technically not allowed to discriminate but further down the line I can imagine locally based concerns about how an (especially permanent) wheelchair user can visit folk who live up steps etc, and costs of adjusting the church house and access to various key bits of the church for leading and presiding. (usually panic about costs)

But then there are wheelchair using ministers - I know of one who is also a workplace chaplain. People cope, they get over the initial 'oh that's different' (ie can't fit you into the traditional hole)and meet you as the person. And as for visiting people in upstairs flats with no lifts etc - well we have telephones!! Not to mention other technology.

But as I say - everyone has limits, weaknesses and impairments, the problem is lots of people aren't aware of their own. We all come as wounded healers, mine is depression and less so these days but in the past with chronic fatigue.

Go for it, in my experience yes people will wonder about health issues - those who speak it out and those who don't and maybe can't but will think it.

Some will worry about practical doing of the 'job' others worry for you about sustainability of ministry, not wanting to see the demands of the role make someone more unwell. I had to explain at times that my awareness of my limitations makes it easier for me to see trigger points and look after myself to avoid burnout than the person who sees themselves as 'normal' and ends up sucked into the workaholic rut. Also the 'wobbly' leader enables others to feel able to offer what and who they are, and helps the church see the role of all in ministry - others can climb the stairs and visit etc.

Hope these ramblings helpful.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016