homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the bump, Pomona.

How am I faring? Well, I'm currently 'considering' religious life, and have actually got to the point of booking some time at a couple of places.

I'm by turns incredibly excited and utterly terrified...and learning again and again what it means to trust God. Which is, all things considered, never a bad thing to learn!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archbishop of Canterbury is currently asking for applications for a year at Lambeth palace with the Community of St Anselm from Sep 16 if you are between 20 and 35 Moonfruit, in case that is of interest.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How exciting moonfruit! I am in a similar position so would be glad to help if I may.

I have some friends in St Anselm and it is a great thing, but it is quite different to permanent vowed religious life (for instance they accept married couples, and it is more for young people with no experience of religious life at all). I'm not saying this to put you off, but it is quite different.

What communities are you looking to visit?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptor, I've seen about St. Anselm's, and it looks interesting, but as Pomona infers, I'm looking for something a bit more permanent!

Pomona, I'll PM you if you don't mind - it would be interesting to talk more, but there's only so much I want to say 'publicly' as it were.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Year bump! I have visited the community I am interested in and the Novice Guardian is happy to arrange a further residential visit to investigate further, in the meantime I am to get myself a spiritual director (the diocese has provided some local people who may be of help there).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

That sounds exciting Pomona, glad your visit went well.

I was also visiting a community just after Christmas, for the first time. Very interesting, in lots of respects. I've got a visit to another community lined up in February, and it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Moonfruit - will PM.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,

I am surprised to find myself, relatively late-ish in life working in paid lay ministry and being encouraged to undertake formal theological studies.

I feel that this is what God wants me to do but I'm really uncertain about the nature of the studies I should undertake. The only option if I want to continue to work in my diocese is the very conservative evangelical College that has some particular positions with which I struggle.

My fear is I'll be unhappy and stifled at this College (I will be attending part-time so won't be actually living there or anything which will help). Any thoughts appreciated on studying somewhere that doesn't quite "fit" with one's own theological positions?

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No chance of being allowed to have qualifications from UTC at North Parramatta? lol. There was a surprising number of closet evangelicals there when I attended. No? I guess not.

I can understand you may feel stifled at the other place. I do know two who studied there from a different tradition. One did degree and Master's then became a Pentecostal pastor. The other was asked to leave in third year as they did not approve of his Pente theology. Brilliant guy. Topped ACT exams in the whole of Australia in several subjects. They asked him back!

I just remembered one of the top lecturers at Southern Cross or Alpha Crucis or whatever they call themselves now. He also did his Master's and a doctorate too, I think, from the college you consider. A good student and a brilliant preacher.

So it can be done, but won't be easy. I can guess areas of disagreement you may well have. As an antidote to the naming/subordination issue, have you read any of Kevin Giles or Muriel Porter?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Loth, yeah I think UTC is out of the question.

I have read one of Muriel Porter's books and a couple of papers by Kevin Giles. I liked his points about the subordination of the father to the son

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

- Posted      Profile for RainbowGirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wanted to say Hi and join in on the thread [Smile]

I'm in Australia and attempted the discernment process last year. I was told to come back in two years and reapply for a year of discernment then, so I'm just travelling along and working on the areas that they indicated needed improvement.

I'm in the slightly awkward position of being currently located in one of the very evangelical dioceses and applying for discernment in a different diocese (being female I can't apply within my current diocese), so very odd man out on either side. I'm as involved as I am allowed to be in the diocese I live in, and participating on the fringes of the diocese I would like to be living in. One of the areas of improvement raised during my interview process was my attitude towards the evangelical side of anglicanism, so I'm doing all i can to be involved in that side here, but it gets lonely without anyone to talk to about it all. So I stumbled across this thread and thought I'd jump in [Smile] .

Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Rainbow Girl to the Ship. Have a look around and please read the Ten Commandments and the description of each board. It won't take long and is a help in settling in.

I am sure there are others who will be along soon who may have had similar experiences, even though dioceses may be different.
Some of us can easily read between your lines. Bit of a downer, isn't it?

Will PM you.

Lothlorien AS Host

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Welcome Rainbow Girl. Are you keeping silent about your call to ordination in your current parish? That must be quite an isolating experience.
RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

- Posted      Profile for RainbowGirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kind of a funny parish. Big main church and a very small church of the anglo-catholic persuasion that continues to exist through the grace of God. I have no other way to explain how they have survived for so long. The majority of my time is spent with the small church, who's congregation numbers less than 30 and has reached the average age of 85 and I pick up whatever duties I can there to keep it ticking along (and the lovely old folk off ladders and out of roof cavities *shakes head in wonder*). They all know I'm pursuing ordination and stay up to date on my trials and tribulations, as does the priest (who doesn't actually have a church, being very old and very retired, but everyone knows it is still his church). The other half of my time and my Sunday's is spent at the bigger church, and they don't know about it all. I quite like having communion and I'm here for two more years yet. They've been known to withhold communion and they can also really interfere with everything I do for the smaller church.

It's not the best situation but I've been advised not to move until the diocese I want to live and work in makes a definite decision in two years. I have a career here, and a church, as strange a situation as it is.

I really enjoyed reading through this thread, a nice reminder that other people do exist who are going through all of this.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being neither ordained or Australian, I can't offer much in the way of practical advice, Rainbow Girl, but I'll add my prayers that you find your vocation in a place and a church that suits you, and also my welcome to you on the Ship.

Piglet, another AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Rainbowgirl, as you go through the process.

It might be worthwhile to follow the link Cenobite gave here on 6th November. Someone I shared it with found it very helpful.

--------------------

RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

Thanks Raptor Eye! I've seen that before and have now read it so many times I have it memorized. There is some great advice there!

I've just been formally invited to be a youth group leader with the bigger evangelical church, starting this evening, and it was also noted that they felt it was the best way to continue 'ministering' to me and to 'teach me the way of Christ'. I've accepted as in the general sense it will be good for me, broaden my skills base, and allow me to spend more time learning to accept and appreciate my evangelical brothers and sisters, but I'm a bit flat out terrified.

I'm also not entirely sure on the concept of asking someone to be a youth leader to 10 year olds, when you aren't certain of that person's faith, but I guess it's a risk on both sides. I pray it works out well and I don't accidentally mentally scar 20+ ten year olds [Hot and Hormonal]

I will stop posting in this thread now, I feel like I'm using it as a base for whinging and that ain't healthy. I'm having great fun reading all the other threads on the message boards though.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they're hoping the kids will convert you [Biased]

More seriously though, best wishes as you minister in a very challenging environment.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evangeline & Rainbow Girl, congratulations on having the courage to respond to God's invitation, despite the challenges of your context.

I'm an ordained evangelical Anglican woman, and have experience in a number of roles in the Metropolitan diocese South of the Murray, and on the little island further south again. I spent a decade or so teaching in an evangelical Theological College, so I have a pretty good understanding of the challenges.

Persevere if you can, and if I can offer any insights or encouragement I'd be pleased to do so.

[ 29. January 2016, 13:19: Message edited by: Cranmer's baggage* ]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Thanks CB, very kind.

I have no aspirations to the priesthood -which is just as well as apart from being way too old to do something like that, I'd have to change denominations or dioceses. I'm just grappling with theological education that has already made its mind up about my leadership/teaching gifts/calling before they've even met me. Sometimes I shake my head at where God has put me at the moment, trying to hold onto, and respond to the call.

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evangeline,
I think k the shape of the ministry you're called to is of secondary importance. What matters is your obedience to the call. Studying in that environment is challenging, and potentially toxic for women. Not sure where you live, but if it's at all possible I'd encourage you to spend some of your personal study time in the library at Morling, and maybe get to know some of the students & faculty there. They will provide a useful alternative voice. There are also some good people around in your own denominational networks - happy to give you some suggestions in PM.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

Thanks CB! I would definitely like to talk to you further [Big Grin] I tend to get myself in a muddle trying to find my own path through it all.

I was raised in the church and first felt God's call as a twelve year old, and like many spent the next decade arguing with God that no, I don't think I really want to do that. So by the time I admitted that fitting it was fruitless I'd drifted out of my diocese and into another in pursuit of a career.

I'm finding like Evangeline that there are a number of judgement calls made by people before I even meet them. Sometimes all I can do is stop and just laugh that my possession of ovaries can cause so many issues. I meant to post back here earlier but ended up in a bit of a mood after a Youth Group training session turned into a monologue by the youth pastor about the importance of women not preaching or leading religious services. He has no idea that I want to be ordained but I am a sub deacon in my own church, which I'm guessing was the trigger for it. Or he was just having a really bad day. Its partly my fault that I got so upset by it, I'm still working on an attitude adjustment but it is something that will take years. Please feel free to pull me up when I get too snarky and disparaging, sometimes I don't even notice I am doing it.

I'm thankful that when I was asked to wait two years before going through discernment I was placed in a position to choose a theological college free from implications or persuasion from either diocese. I'm studying via distance at a college in Melbourne with quite a few Catholics, going by those who I've met so far. There is some pressure here for me to at least consider a more evangelical college, but they tend to drop it fairly quickly as I did look at a few in-depth and can prove that I made my own decision and give reasons why I went with the college I did.

RG

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

I've sat on my reply to this for a couple of days, but this needs saying:
Rainbow Girl, you may well need to adjust your attitude to evangelicals in general. However, you do not (and in my opinion should never) take it upon yourself to give a pass to people who abuse the power they have because of a leadership role. The guy leading your Youth training thingy had a particular responsibility - to provide training as advertised. He overstepped the line and abused the privilege of leadership. You are in no way obligated to accept that. In a similar situation, I would be standing up, looking at my watch and asking "when do you intend to resume the advertised programme? I'll make sure I'm back by then." and walking towards the door. Id also be lodging a complaint with the organisers of the programme.

I understand that you may not feel that you have the freedom to act in that way, but you can certainly take a mental "leave of absence" while he blathers on.

On the related issue of adjusting your attitude and thinking differently about evangelicals, I'd recommend making the acquaintance of some who engage differently with scripture and tradition on the issues that are of particular concern to you. The organization Christians for Biblical Equality is well worth exploring, and they produce some excellent papers.

There are a couple of other things I want to say, but discretion suggests a PM may be more appropriate...

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

Sadly, his monologue was 'technically' relevant as we were planning a lesson for the kids on 1 Corinthians 11:2-16. No mention of veils though, just a focus on women not doing mens jobs and men not dressing like women. I particularly liked his comment that he would never preach while wearing a dress. I just hope he tones it down a bit before he talks to the kids, I can't see many kids enjoying being told that their worlds have now been limited because of the angels. I'm still working on my 'relationship' with St Paul, sometimes I love his letters and other times I think they may be driving me insane.

I'll have a look at that group you mentioned [Smile] I am part of a loosely formed group here, which is more ecumenical then anything else, but no evangelicals there, though a few uniting, baptist, catholic and SDA folks who are great fun.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, good old St. Paul - patron saint of misogynistic old gits ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

IME the conservative evangelicals are great believers in "authority" so to disrespect a leader by walking out of their training session would be the end of your ministry in most such churches.

Sometimes I feel like turning up at church in a big hat and greeting EVERYONE with a "holy kiss" just to prove that I'm taking the bible seriously and to show up all those wishy washy liberals who pick and choose the parts of the bible they follow. [Roll Eyes]

I've been to some of the Christians for biblical equality events. This blog/website is good for an evangelical egalitarian approach
new life

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Don't forget to let your hair grow long, too.

A good place for support here for those who need it, squirming under the idea of authority. Good support given and some great ideas, even if some of them are under wraps in PMs.

I am well aware that not all evangelicals are tarred with the same brush. I know quite a few down here. However, there are times when the stifling atmosphere of a couple of dioceses gets almost too much to breathe..

So if we can keep the topic on suport and helpful links as have been given, rather than the poison which is easy to focus on, we will all benefit. PMs are fine to speak what you really want to say.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Repeat post deleted.

Lothlorien, AS Host.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

You're right Loth. I'd like to see us step out boldly with a joyful message rather than always defining ourselves in terms of the conservative position.....sometimes it's just hard to do that. I need 2 focus on resilience I think.

[Votive] for all those who are pursuing their vocation in any way, shape or form.

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

[Votive] And for those who are feeling the nudge, and who are wrestling with the elbow.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm being "re-commissioned" as Licensed Lay Minister by the Arch deacon of Europe tomorrow & also being given permission to preach in the Episcopal church. My license lapsed in 2005 when I moved to France, and stopped attending an Anglican church, but since attending the Episcopal church in Clermont Ferrand I have been feeling the nudge to get this restarted.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

[Votive] For tomorrow and for your future ministry, Dormouse.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Dormouse.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I cannot believe its been 11 years since you moved to France!!)

[Votive]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for you for tomorrow and for your future ministry, Dormouse.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Prayers for you, Dormouse.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Excellent news Dormouse. [Votive]
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

So, interview at theology College scheduled this week, already been invited to their orientation events.
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

[Votive] Evangeline, for you.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

All the best, Evangeline! [Smile] [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and from over here!

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

[Votive] Evangeline. All the best on a whole new adventure!
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Evangeline
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Thank-you all for the [Votive] Interview was more enjoyable and more helpful than I was expecting. TBTG
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Axe murder]
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Just back from visiting another community for a few days. I had a lovely time, and am already looking forward to going back again. It's been interesting to think more about what the monastic vocation means, and is - especially the whole 'living in community' thing!

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

So pleased your visits are going well [Votive]
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

My first week at Theological College is complete. Some good things, some very confronting things. Prayers appreciated.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
My first week at Theological College is complete. Some good things, some very confronting things. Prayers appreciated.

Full time?

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Not full-time but more than a half-time load Loth.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016