homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom shall we send? The Vocations Thread
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some stats on vocations in the CofE if any of you poms are interested:

quote:
Ordination candidates

Another 515 candidates were accepted to train as future clergy in 2010, with those aged 20-29 showing a 45 per cent increase from 74 to 108. In total, 563 new clergy were ordained in 2010. Of those, 284 were entering full-time paid ministry.

Revd Preb Lynda Barley, Head of Research & Statistics for the Archbishops' Council, comments: "It is encouraging that the Church is responding confidently to the challenge that the changing age profile of our nation brings, with one in five future clergy entering training being under 30 years of age."

While the numbers of people being training for ordination remained buoyant across 2009, the number of retirements also remained high. Taking retirements and other losses into account, there was a net loss of 129 full-time paid clergy. The total number of licensed clergy (including part-time and self supporting ministers whose numbers increased) was down by 72.

Church of England publishes latest statistics on web.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bumping, and thanks Evensong - really interesting.
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would anyone like to share their experiences or opinions on training part-time on a regional course rather than full-time at a college? Thanks.
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in my final year of part time training. What do you want to know?

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Bagpuss - thank you so much for that. In a way I think you've just summed up something I've been trying to put into words for quite a while, that need to be overtly passionate about vocational yearning/calling...

I think that at my BAP I probably came over as too quiet and introverted but underneath it all my heart was yearning with passion for it - and still is!

This is where I hit problems I think. I find it hard enough to sell myself at secular interviews* and I really don't want to do it in a religious context. It just seems wrong.

Carys

*yes I've been working on it, though still not got a job.

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laxton's Superba:
Would anyone like to share their experiences or opinions on training part-time on a regional course rather than full-time at a college? Thanks.

At my college it is the same course whether you do part time or full time. The downside of training part time is that I have to be very organised to get just the right books out of the library and if I don't then it is another week before I can have another go. If I get a problem in essay writing I can't just ask the tutor or a fellow student over dinner. However the pluses outweight the negatives for me and that is mostly becuase I have teenage children who didn't have to move schools. I loathed moving schools as a child and if I can save them one move that is a plus.

The other plus is that you get to practice some of the stuff they teach you outside of college on your work collegeues. This week I've used conflict transformation and cross cultural listening on the computer dept at work. More material for theolgoical reflection [Biased]

I suspect a lot of full time v part time comes down to personality and how you take to living in community. I thought I would love being in college as I'm an extrovert but found that the week I lived in for a course I was on there was no one to talk to as the place seemed full of introverts who disappeared off to their rooms as soon as classes finished. But then the intake changes and I saw a serious card school in the bar so there might be more singles or more weekly boarders who don't have to rush off and feed the kids or do the music centre run at the end of the day.

Don't know if that helps at all.

[ 15. October 2011, 12:36: Message edited by: Poppy ]

--------------------

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just started training residentially (weekly boarder) but have several friends who have completed or are at various places in non residential training.
They have all reduced their working hours (the ideal for them seems to be working a maximum of 3 days per week) because the pressure of work from the course is so great. They chose this form of training generally because of family commitments (children and/or husbands). In some ways non-residential training seems to be more like the reality of parish life as a curate; it may be coincidence but the best curate my church has had (in 20+ years) trained on a regional course.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

hmm..... yes it is the prospect of school moving that concerns me. I would love the college formation but not at the expense of the small folk. Part-time paid work and part-time study would fit the bill best, but there are pros and cons both sides. Is the decision up to you completely, or does the DDO have a say?
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laxton's Superba:

The regional colleges courses are made up of people were the study pattern made things possible. The college is (often) selected by location rather than church tradition. The graduates will likely have worshipped together in every tradition from by-the-book charismatic to lets-get-imaginative catholic and all points visible from there. It would always have been guided by someone for whom that was natural to them. Equally, you can debate every view on Marian theology until they throw you out of the bar.

On the other hand you spend less time living in each others' pockets and have to sew tents in the week.

Formation will be different rather than less important. You would have three years blending ministry development, a mixed prayer life and the real world.

Worked for me.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aig:

They have all reduced their working hours (the ideal for them seems to be working a maximum of 3 days per week) because the pressure of work from the course is so great.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at the above!

[brick wall]

I am in my last year of a part time local course.I am a teacher and head of department and second in faculty, in a subject that has a very heavy marking workload. I also have 2 teenage children.

However, I did my BA and MA both by distance learning and am mega organised so have managed pretty much OK. I tned to do my essays before the tutorials and then tweak them after I have had the sessions on them - has always worked for me so far!

I think there are pros and cons to both forms of training. I yearn to do more 'proper' theology - decent in depth Bible study of lots of books rather than bits here and there. But after a week's summer school I think I would be excommunicated for murder if I had to live in [Biased]

I like how we are all from very different traditions and the obvious arguments that arise because of that. We also get some top class speakers on our residential weekends that the colleges wouldn't necessarily get.

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Formation will be different rather than less important. You would have three years blending ministry development, a mixed prayer life and the real world.

Worked for me.

I think this is very important. Formation happens on part time course, not just in college. I'm informed that it also happens to OLMs who are training in parishes! I suspect that the constant juggling of work, study, family, prayer, worship, sabbath etc is good preparation for life in a parish. But each type of training has its own strengths and weaknesses and if you have family commitments then it is a case of what is possible rather than what might be ideal for you as an individual.

Being part time forces you to learn to be organised and pace yourself as there are so many other calls on your time such as shopping and cooking and all the stuff of life that college takes care of if you live in. On my course there are all types of work patterns from retired or not in paid work to full time jobs where college work is either done on trains or late at night after everyone else has gone to bed. I do 20 hours which is working well for me.

You get to be very good at independent study on a part time course as there is no one else but you to motivate you or help out when it goes a bit pear shaped. So if that is going to be a problem it might be worth thinking that through and getting some input on study skills before you attempt part time learning - or it might be right up your street - I never attended any lectures at uni and did it all off reading lists and tutorials so this style of learning works for me.

--------------------

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Thanks everyone.
I like the idea of the OLM training but I don't see there is any chance of that in my parish/diocese. I would like to be able to train on-the-job in the same way that one can as a teacher with the GTP scheme, with of course some college stuff too. I see that some colleges do mixed mode training so that is worth looking into as well.

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Can a kindly host or more technologically-minded Shippie post a link to the previous vocations thread please - I have tried and failed to find it using the search function and in Limbo.
thanks

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Ere it be!

No, no, don't thank me, just throw money!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

thanks Wodders [Yipee]
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks WW [Yipee]
I really enjoyed reading the thread and remembering the journey I took alongside so many who seem to have disappeared from here now.
Jante
(Wondering if I've worked out who QUpe is here at Holy Hogwarts!!!)

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did a session on Anglican Spirituality a few weeks ago and this quote was given to us. It's a quote by Monica Furlong (English Journalist 1930-2003).

quote:
I am clear about what I want from the clergy.

I want them to be people who can, by their own happiness and contentment, challenge my ideas about status, about success, about money, and so teach me to live more independently of such drugs.

I want them to be people who can dare, as I do not dare, to refuse to work flat out (since work is an even more subtle drug than status), to refuse to compete with me in strenuousness.

I want them to be people who are secure enough in the value of what they are doing to have time to read, to sit and think, and who can face the emptiness and possible depression which often attack people when they do not keep the surface of their mind occupied.

I want them to be people who have faced this kind of loneliness and discovered how fruitful it is, as I want them to be people who have faced he problems of prayer.

I want them to be people who can sit still without feeling guilty, and from whom I can learn some kind of tranquility in a society which has almost lost the art.

Much of what the clergy were once esteemed to be has been stripped away, and with it much that encourages self-deception.

Like Christ, if he is brave enough, the priest is now free to offer the best gift of all – himself. Without any certainty that it is going to be understood or appreciated, he goes out to other people, able only to offer his relationship with God, his longing to help, to love and to heal. He is prepared to be vulnerable, to make a fool of himself, in a way that only a Christian will attempt.

(Monica Furlong – addressing the clergy of Wakefield Diocese at Swanwick in 1966)

What do yous reckon?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Some excellent comments on models of ministry by the Archbishop of Canterbury here.

It's an excerpt from a recent speech on women's ministry but it applies to all clergy.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

I'm going through the criteria for selecion at the moment and I am coming to grief with the ones on mission. Being a leftie liberal pluralist I haven't really got much to say about converting the masses and I certainly can't think of anything I have ever done that "counts" as evangelism in the strictest sense.

Now I appreciate that not everyone will share my reluctance to knock on doors with a Bible, run Alpha groups for my not-yet-Christian friends and so on, but how do I approach the mission criteria in a way that is sensitive to the intent of making God known?

I have been looking at the five marks of mission and am relieved to see that converting people is only one way in which mission is defined. But I do have a basic reluctance to "share the good news" in an active way. My preference is the Frances of Assisi misquote about preaching the gospel always, use words if necessary kind of thing.

Would anyone like to share how the mission criteria were dealt with at their BAP?

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anything a bit 'fresh expressions' going on in your parish? I spent 18 months attending a 8.20am children friendly Taize eucharist which fitted the nurturing new believers bit. I also led a couple of bible study groups. What about eco friendly stuff - that is also a valid indicator of mission.
Why not have a look at the five marks of mission and then be creative? 'To respond to human need by loving service' can fit most work situations and as a 'a leftie liberal pluralist' you can be eloquent about seeking 'to transform unjust structures of society'. Enjoy....

--------------------

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from Bap and more exhausted than I hae been for a while! I think they are going to say no, fairly sure of it actually. Think I'm ok with it, but would really appreciate prayers as I wait.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Jenn- prayers for you as you wait...

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Jen
I recognise both of those feelings/emotions.

All I can say is that it worked out for me second time and looking back I know it was the time that was wrong not me.

Prayers for wherever this stage leads you xx

aig
Shipmate
# 429

Jenn - [Votive] prayers for the waiting [Votive]

However don't be too sure about the result; a friend of mine came away from her BAP certain she was going to get a 'no' and got a qualified 'yes'.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Votive] [Votive] Jenn.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bagpuss - can I pm you please about your journey?

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Sorry - that was meant to read 'please can I pm you'... not thinking! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Jenn [Votive]

What makes you think it will be a no?

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just realised how far short I fall in so many areas. Maybe it's the timing. I don't know. I'm trying to be realistic as lots of people have told me I'm being overly negative. It's wait and see time really.
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenn the waiting rime is by far the hardest.
[Votive] as you wait

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Jenn - please don't think you "fall short" in any way! [Smile]

--------------------

Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Bagpuss - can I pm you please about your journey?

Course you can
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Monica Furlong quote from Swanwick conference. (see above)

What do yous reckon?

Wow. That's an amazing quote. Worth reflecting on. Thanks for posting it.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Monica Furlong quote from Swanwick conference. (see above)

What do yous reckon?

Wow. That's an amazing quote. Worth reflecting on. Thanks for posting it.
I was surprised by the date. I expected it to be more recent than 1966. Not sure many clergy are there on the not working flat out bit!

Prayers on the waiting Jenn.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

I am shamlessly going to steal that Monica Furlong and send it to my DDO, whom I am seeing tomorrow. And I am bumping this thread before it falls off the bottom of the page.

DDO thinks I am too cynical and need to button that a bit, fair enough. We have previously discussed "Rev" and the "If you see George Herbert on the road kill him" book as being required viewing/reading for potential ordinands, so it's hardly surprising that cynicism plays a bit part in my outlook!!!

Any news Jenn? [Votive]

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laxton--Tell the DDO you're skeptical, not cynical. Which would be true. You wouldn't be offering yourself if you were a cynic. Your skepticism is part of your truth-seeking, and it is a gift. Tell him I said so. [Razz]

ISN'T that quote from Monica Furlong superb!! And daring. (MF was a good friend of a friend of mine, who told the story of how once, when she was visiting his house in Boston, she decided to clear out his cupboards, and wound up putting a large canister of Metamucil down the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink. When the water was run, it began to swell...)

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

Aw shucks... thanks Amos, that is indeed how I feel. And I think the DDO can see that, he just thinks I will need to tone it down a bit for the Bishop, who might not see things the same way.
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

They said YES! [Yipee]

I haven't seen the bishop to get my report yet, but the ddo tells me he always goes with the recommendation, and we told the church this morning (they hadn't known I was going forward!)

Seeing the bishop tomorrow. So excited!

Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats Jenn!

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Wonderful news Jenn
[Yipee]

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not seen round these parts much anymore but I just had to say:

Congratulations Jenn!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

aig
Shipmate
# 429

Congratulations Jenn! [Yipee]

Do you know where you will train?

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

I haven't decided yet - need to go and look at places and see how it works with husband/kids.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Jenn.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations from me, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Congrats Jenn. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Well done Jenn! [Smile]

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
shall be praying as you see the Bishop

how exciting

[ 14. November 2011, 07:44: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

What lovely news Jenn. Well done. The meek shall inherit the earth!!!
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

I've seen the bishop and received my report. It's very humbling to hear what other people think of you. Thanks for the support over the past few months/years and the congrats since. You guys are fab!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016