homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » A Truth Universally Acknowledged... (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A Truth Universally Acknowledged...
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the input.

A more general question - how long to leave in between textings/messages?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to match pace with the person I'm exchanging messages with--quicker for some, slower for others, doing what's comfortable for me but also being mindful of the style they seem to prefer.

Which could be difficult if the other person is doing exactly that to ME, but as a rule, it seems to work. Initially, at least, I think you want to let some time elapse--not play insanely coy or anything, but leave a bit of space for anticipation.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment I suspect dissertation stuff is overwhelming everything and my days are much emptier so I keep hoping for more than is actually happening. Finding the balance between encouraging and nagging is very difficult!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that always helped me, is to try to do fun things with friends between waiting for a text message/phone call. I found that this greatly reduces anxiety, and helps to respond in a much more relaxed way.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I had to attend the funeral of a lady from my church on Thursday, and on the bus back in the rain I texted the friend that I'm flirting with and thought liked me back, looking for a bit of comfort and just.....it wasn't there? Like he said 'oh dear' but I dunno, I said that I really needed a cuddle (he's in a different town so it would be a virtual cuddle) and he was just like 'oh I'm not the cuddly type'? Like gee you know how to cheer a girl up [Roll Eyes] I went into House of Fraser and consoled myself at the Guerlain counter with a liberal spray of Mitsouko (Guerlain is my favourite perfume house, although I don't care for most of the modern fragrances).

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade C., he may have just been having an off day himself or you caught him at a bad time. Another problem with texting is that you have absolutely no idea what is going on with the other person. Verbal exchanges on the phone at least allow you to hear a tone of voice.

And even then, it isn't flawless. Back in college, my girlfriend called me (during summer vacation, so we were a few hundred miles apart). A guy at her summer job was sexually harassing her. I got so angry I couldn't trust myself to speak. Later, she complained to me that she couldn't believe that I didn't say any words of comfort, like I didn't care about it. It was actually her room-mate (seeing the shocked look on my face) who told her "I think he was just too mad to speak." My girlfriend missed it entirely--and she knew me pretty well at that point.

Don't jump to conclusions based on insufficient evidence.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not always easy to know what to say to someone who is mourning the death of a person you don't know yourself. He wouldn't be the first or last person to say the wrong thing in that situation.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I think it's more that he just keeps blowing hot and cold and I'm tired of it.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to a comment upthread, "how are you" is a difficult txt/email to answer. How much detail am I supposed to give, about what? So it doesn't get answered.

"I haven't seen the Life of Pi yet, it's in the theater this weekend, I'm thinking of going, wanna join me?" is concrete. Much easier to respond "sure" or "I've seen it" or "busy this weekend but if you could put it off to next weekend?" or etc.

(If he says no or doesn't respond, grab a friend or neighbor and go anyway, or go alone.)

I'm in a current sort of flirt, realized I had let too much time past and it was my turn to keep the conversation going, send an apologetic "been busy writing songs for a class" and attached a link to one of the songs. Much more concrete than just "been busy" and the link to something I've done is an invitation to know a little more about me.

I've never been good at this stuff but I think I'm catching on, after many years of watching others, and also not *needing* a man makes me more relaxed about the game, unlike when I was at the "now or never" biological clock deadline and a whole lifestyle - parenthood or not - was at stake in whether a relationship worked out.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

FWIW-- boy, do I wish I had had more conversations with myself like this when I needed to. All that energy spent on "What do I do now? How do I adjust to this behavior?" When it is really totally valid to say, "Strange behavior,perhaps I should back off a bit."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

FWIW-- boy, do I wish I had had more conversations with myself like this when I needed to. All that energy spent on "What do I do now? How do I adjust to this behavior?" When it is really totally valid to say, "Strange behavior,perhaps I should back off a bit."
THAT. So much THAT.

I am about to go on third date with person who does NOT have all the hang-ups of previous person (other hang-ups may very well arise.) It is a fucking REVELATION how much less work I have to do here, how much less stuff I need to bend and squirm and dance around.

Sometimes, it's utterly valid to realize, this isn't something I like to continually adjust to.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Strange behavior,perhaps I should back off a bit."

So now the strange are suspect? [Disappointed] And I thought you liked me. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Well, there's compelling strange behavior, and then there's just strange. [Biased]

{ETA: I still have not received the image licencing fee I requested nearly a year ago. ]

[ 21. April 2013, 06:29: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I told the guy I've been texting that I was attracted to him, but it's not mutual - but I do feel better for having got it out of the way. I mean it still sucks, but actually it feels better than I thought it would do.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Jade - that was a really brave thing to do (it's the kind of thing that would scare me). Here's hoping for so much better for you... [Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Well done Jade - that was a really brave thing to do (it's the kind of thing that would scare me). Here's hoping for so much better for you... [Votive]

Ditto! With an extra helping of hugs!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

How brave, and how excellent. Serious props, Jade--you did something that's scary and important to do, and you did it before too much time got wasted. It sucks, but I can guarantee you that it sucks less than it could, because you had the wherewithal to do it when you did.

You have the space free now, for someone more right for you to move in.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Amen. Good for you, Jade.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Hah, I don't feel especially brave but I am just naturally the kind of person who would rather have a problem out in the open so I can find a solution - pining just feels unnatural to me. Of all the things I inherited from my engineer dad, I didn't expect to apply it this way!

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting things out in the open so they can be discussed and resolved is, at least in the experience of this engineer, a very important part of keeping relationships of most sorts running smoothly. It's not easy, by any means, and requires a lot of trust in both your partner and yourself.

But in the long term it is worth it.

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps some on this thread may find some consolation in these views on "how do you decide who to marry?".

One of the 10 year olds polled had a good answer:
" No person really decides before they grow up who they’re going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you’re stuck with."

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I don't really feel consoled by the views of a made-up child, no.

I do feel a bit perplexed by what's so apparently unattractive about me - because I don't think I am unattractive! It just seems like it must be something more than bad luck to have been rejected so constantly. More of the engineer in me wanting to fix things, I guess.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do feel a bit perplexed by what's so apparently unattractive about me

Not specifically aimed at you, but I do wonder if the 'neediness' that is revealed by posters on this thread is leaking out into their RL relationships?

Perhaps more work is needed on learning the difficult lesson of Philippians 4:11 - persons contented with their lot are more attractive than the desperately seeking.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Well I know, but how do I learn to not want a thing that I want? Romantic intimacy is a pretty universal human need, and if you can't find it then it seems quite natural to be unhappy about it. If you feel lonely even though you have friends, what's the solution?

And it's not hard to be 24 and having never been in a relationship and feel that this is somehow wrong.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Adding that I do lots of activities, have lots of friends (admittedly with a small circle of close friends), am happy to do things like go to the cinema alone. But none of my friends are single and so all of their focus is on their partner - I really struggle to find people to do things with, even just going to the cinema or going for a coffee.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade I know this probably doesn't help, but as you get older your friends will be less centred on their partner (if they have one) and being single will therefore be easier (at least that's what I've found.) I know you want a partner, but it sounds like there is social pressure from your friends to confirm to their "normal." It's tough but if you can find some other single friends (or ones with partners who understand the value of single friends) it will make the situation easier.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
I do feel a bit perplexed by what's so apparently unattractive about me

Not specifically aimed at you, but I do wonder if the 'neediness' that is revealed by posters on this thread is leaking out into their RL relationships?

Perhaps more work is needed on learning the difficult lesson of Philippians 4:11 - persons contented with their lot are more attractive than the desperately seeking.

I agree that 'neediness' isn't an attractive quality. If we sound needy in this thread, it's because this is where we come to talk about the needs we feel we have. Probably pretty much guaranteed to 'sound' needy.

I always wondered what Jesus meant by 'poor in spirit'. I'm starting to learn about how much I need God, how much I need other people, and how poor I am in my soul. I don't really understand it yet though.

Jade, treasure the qualities about yourself that you know are attractive. The person you're going to meet is a really lucky person!

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Gosh, how emotional my post was [Hot and Hormonal] I did have a massive cry this morning though which helped a bit (well it left my chest hurting but it helped emotionally).

And I don't think my friends pressure me because of singleness, I think we're just all so young still - and most of my friends are 20ish so younger than me anyway - that it's just very intense and I get a bit forgotten. Which sucks but thanks to a very cold and unfriendly uni CU (really strange and unlike all other CUs I've encountered which love-bomb you) I've struggled to make friends at uni anyway.

And thank you Mad Cat! I do consider myself attractive which is helpful I know. I just look at my friends who meet people off-the-cuff and wonder how on earth they can talk to people so easily...

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Cat:
If we sound needy in this thread, it's because this is where we come to talk about the needs we feel we have. Probably pretty much guaranteed to 'sound' needy.

I appreciate that, it's the chance of it 'leaking' into Real Life that needs to be guarded against

quote:
I just look at my friends who meet people off-the-cuff and wonder how on earth they can talk to people so easily...

Yes, I have always had the same problem - and I know that in my case it has been because I am more interested in myself than I am in them. I try to tell myself that I don't ask personal questions because I don't want to be nosey - but deep down I know the truth. [Hot and Hormonal]
One of my many besetting sins [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gosh, how emotional my post was [Hot and Hormonal] I did have a massive cry this morning though which helped a bit (well it left my chest hurting but it helped emotionally).

And I don't think my friends pressure me because of singleness, I think we're just all so young still - and most of my friends are 20ish so younger than me anyway - that it's just very intense and I get a bit forgotten. Which sucks but thanks to a very cold and unfriendly uni CU (really strange and unlike all other CUs I've encountered which love-bomb you) I've struggled to make friends at uni anyway.

And thank you Mad Cat! I do consider myself attractive which is helpful I know. I just look at my friends who meet people off-the-cuff and wonder how on earth they can talk to people so easily...

Did you try SCM? If they're at your uni.....

I'm struggling to know what to do with a slightly cold choir I belong to. They're not unfriendly. I just don't know how I fit in. It's very weird, as I can usually talk to anyone, but I so on edge with this group.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Cat:
quote:

Did you try SCM? If they're at your uni.....

I'm struggling to know what to do with a slightly cold choir I belong to. They're not unfriendly. I just don't know how I fit in. It's very weird, as I can usually talk to anyone, but I so on edge with this group.

Haha, it was me who set up the SCM group! It consists of me, my friends who are a couple, and another two students who are in couples, as well as the chaplain. I am an SCM member as an individual, but we only meet once a year as a whole group so it's a bit awkward. With CU, if my friends who are a couple (I go to church with them and we're sharing a house next year) weren't there for whatever reason nobody would talk to me at all [Frown] The sessions consist of two songs, followed by a sermon, followed by a song then everyone goes home. No socialising time.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met up with my disorganised man just over a week ago and we spent several hours together, which was really nice. Inconclusive, but nice. So I texted him again towards the end of last week to suggest meeting up at the weekend. No reply. Last night I thought to myself "yeah, he's not going to reply is he?" and went to browse the Christian dating site we met on, only to see he'd recently logged in, which I think conclusively says he's not interested in me. I can only assume he didn't think I was worth replying to, which makes me feel pretty lousy, especially as I thought we got on really well. I think he's given off some pretty mixed signals, but there's nothing I can do about it (short of sending him messages pointing out that I did at least deserve the courtesy of a "no thanks", and that's not the best idea).
Thoroughly demoralised right now.

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you try the same approach as Jade Constable and say directly that you are interested ? That ought to get a reply one way or another from anyone reasonably good mannered.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tempted, but I don't quite know what to say!
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

Try just a little helping of radical human honesty. "I've enjoyed spending time with you, and I think I'd enjoy getting to know you better. I get the sense from our response patterns, though, that this may not be a mutual thing. Any chance I can get some clarity on that? Shall we see one another again, or wish all the best and then head our separate ways?"

Although, to be honest, if he is interested and yet has this kind of response pattern, trust me and Schrodinger-the-elephant that you don't actually want to go there. So maybe just move on, and he'll text you if he texts you.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Try just a little helping of radical human honesty. "I've enjoyed spending time with you, and I think I'd enjoy getting to know you better. I get the sense from our response patterns, though, that this may not be a mutual thing. Any chance I can get some clarity on that? Shall we see one another again, or wish all the best and then head our separate ways?"

Although, to be honest, if he is interested and yet has this kind of response pattern, trust me and Schrodinger-the-elephant that you don't actually want to go there. So maybe just move on, and he'll text you if he texts you.

Agreed with all of this.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

It's really hard to get tone right in a text message, so I'm putting that off! My current thinking is to ask him to meet up again (with a very specific time) and try and do it face to face. I know he's been having a rough time of late, which is why I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt so much. If he doesn't reply this time, then that's all the answer I need, incredibly frustrating though it is!
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There certainly are people who are disorganized by nature, or at least that is the end effect. For myself, if I don't reply right away I get distracted and lose track under a pile of other things vying for my attention. When things are busy or difficult, sometimes it is much easier if the other person takes the initiative and plans things. Of course, you have to decide whether this is actually what the other person is like, and, if so, whether you are willing to tolerate this characteristic in a partner.

And some men (though I expect it is not entirely gender-specific) require the application of a large clue-bat to realize that someone actually fancies them. It may come as quite a shock. I still remember the dawning realization when a friend came to visit for a weekend and left a dressing gown hanging in my closet because it meant she was planning on returning. After dating a series of women who dumped me after 2 - 3 months when they found how boring I was, this was a radical concept! (Almost 30 years later and she still hangs her gown in my closet. Well, our closet.)

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
And some men (though I expect it is not entirely gender-specific) require the application of a large clue-bat to realize that someone actually fancies them. It may come as quite a shock. I still remember the dawning realization when a friend came to visit for a weekend and left a dressing gown hanging in my closet because it meant she was planning on returning. After dating a series of women who dumped me after 2 - 3 months when they found how boring I was, this was a radical concept! (Almost 30 years later and she still hangs her gown in my closet. Well, our closet.)

[Killing me] I love this thread! [Big Grin]

Nen - old married with no right to be here.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
Last night I thought to myself "yeah, he's not going to reply is he?" and went to browse the Christian dating site we met on, only to see he'd recently logged in, which I think conclusively says he's not interested in me.

I don't follow this. Why doesn't it simply mean that he's not ready to date you exclusively?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume that you can only see if someone else has logged in on this site if you are logged in as well? In this case, he might think the same about you [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

To sum up-- mindreading is a really useless endeavor. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
To sum up-- mindreading is a really useless endeavor. [Big Grin]

I knew you were going to say that...

But the point is valid. I know that, in the past, I have been extremely guilty of constructing large and complicated thought-structures about how another person felt based on things like, oh, being logged on to a web site. It is so easy to do--and so easy to be completely wrong.

I am reminded of a Peanuts cartoon. Lucy is looking at a drawing Linus has made. She says "This is a nice drawing of a man. But I notice you drew his hands behind him. This shows insecurity and means that you yourself are insecure." Linus replies: "It means I myself cannot draw hands."

That is why Jade C's Occam-razor-like approach of being direct is so refreshing and so deserving of applause.

<Hedgehog suddenly realizes that the "Applauding Hands" smilie is on another website that he frequents.>

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

I am reminded of a Peanuts cartoon. Lucy is looking at a drawing Linus has made. She says "This is a nice drawing of a man. But I notice you drew his hands behind him. This shows insecurity and means that you yourself are insecure." Linus replies: "It means I myself cannot draw hands."

That cartoon completely changed my perspective in life forever. No kidding. [Big Grin]

(and agreed about Jade.)

[ 30. April 2013, 18:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

If anything, I think that Scott's Lass should go on the site again and have contact with other men. Partly to make him a little bit jealous, partly to not bet all her money on one horse. And don't try the direct approach, but find something really fun next week that you could invite him to, something he won't be able to resist. But take this with the same grain of salt with which my other advice is taken on this thread [Biased]

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

I think perhaps what this shows is that I may be over-reacting a wee bit, and that I shouldn't read things after taking a lot of migraine pills!

Just to clarify what I was doing - I occasionally go and read the boards on the dating site, because they're compellingly bad and repetitive, or to say "no thanks" to the odd one or two who have messaged me. Whilst there the other week, I looked at my guy's profile briefly and it said he hadn't logged in for three months. I was in a grump on Sunday at him not replying to a message, hence browsing suggestions and then seeing him newly logged in and being surprised.

As for the suggestion about messaging lots of people on the site* - if only there were many I wanted to message! I'd actually cancelled my subscription because I wasn't seeing anyone I wanted to know more about and couldn't see the point in paying to maintain a message facility I wasn't using. I had to renew it to message this guy!

The direct approach is a great idea, but I think I would prefer to do it face to face, so it's worth a try.

*I know it's not entirely serious

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Oh if asking face-to-face is an option, definitely do that - it just wasn't something available to me (which I think is partly why I was so direct, because pining from far away is even more frustrating). But I am *generally* this direct anyway...

Also, I really really do not suit dating websites. Best friend met her husband on one, a free one even, but for me they're just like filling out a CV or something. People are so different in real life anyway, and if you live outside a large city (especially London) your choices can be so limited.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen men move huge bolders when they are very interested. My ex shoved his teenage daughter into his ex-wife's arms, dumped me and ran to be with someone across the country (I don't even know how they met) since he was burning with desire for her. Men and women, grown people, act this way when they are burning with desire.

This is what I've learned. I myself tend to act like a complete moron whenever I like a guy. I find stupid reasons to talk to him. (I like more than one guy right now thanks be to the LORD so I can't let myself go and get too serious before I am ready, so not ready right now).

A person that thinks you're hot and also more importantly, thinks you're worth it, will reach out. Simple as that. If you spend time trying to read through his actions, almost to the point of picking up tea leaves (which I myself have done and fight the urge to do so on a daily basis with my crushes), you will go mad. And more importantly, you do not treat yourself like the goddess you are.

That is my motto right now. I've wasted 2 years on someone who did not think I was worth much. And I want a guy who really thinks I am hot like YOWZA and won't hesistate to prove it to me.

So right now, everyone I am meeting hasn't been really doing that. And I enjoy my me time too much. I told a guy NO since something ain't quite right this weekend...and it felt good. So I said it several times to other things. And I wrote on Okstupid (not it's real name but close) website last night...and then forgot about him not replying back to my lame email till...just about now.

Yay! Freedom.

[eta: to add Sister Sledge playing in the background.]

[ 01. May 2013, 02:11: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:

A person that thinks you're hot and also more importantly, thinks you're worth it, will reach out. Simple as that. If you spend time trying to read through his actions, almost to the point of picking up tea leaves (which I myself have done and fight the urge to do so on a daily basis with my crushes), you will go mad. And more importantly, you do not treat yourself like the goddess you are.

The duchess speaks! [Overused] So dead on!

--------------------

LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well I know, but how do I learn to not want a thing that I want? Romantic intimacy is a pretty universal human need, and if you can't find it then it seems quite natural to be unhappy about it. If you feel lonely even though you have friends, what's the solution?

Hope you don't mind if I delurk to express some disquiet with the wording of this posting.

I am perplexed about the concept that romantic intimacy is a universal human need. Do you mean physical sex, or do you mean relational intimacy?

Countless people experience physical sex without any relational intimacy - either through casual or paid sex in egalitarian societies, or women in patriarchal societies where they are not valued as people but treated as possessions (like teenager girls sold to elderly men in the Middle East). Are they having their needs met? Some (in the casual sex group) would say they are, and claim that casual sex is so important that the government should fund it for people with disabilities. It seems that casual sex is not what you mean, because (unless you're severely physically disabled) it isn't that hard to find when there is no emotional involvement required.

Is it then emotional intimacy with one romantic/sexual partner which you see as necessary? Personally I would class this as a universal human desire, or pleasure, but not a need. Being valued for who you are, feeling like you have something to contribute to others, having someone to share happiness with -they are all important, but don't have to be achieved within a romantic relationship to be life-enriching. I have known lots of wonderful older single people who would have loved to be married, if the circumstances had been right, but singleness didn't stop them from living fulfilling and loving lives.

I understand that you are going through lots of roller coaster emotions and that this quote is just one expression of your pain. As another single, though, I feel it's a reiteration of the superficial and patronising idea that "you're nobody until somebody loves you [romantically]" -which I see as one of the huge falsehoods of our age.

Unhappiness is magnified by the stories we tell ourselves. In my view, there is probably not a single solution to loneliness, but it often requires a multipronged approach, looking at issues like (1) distorted thinking patterns about what is "normal" and what life "should" be, (2)self-talk that is unnecessarily pessimistic and self-blaming, (3)unrealistic expectations of how much external relationships can resolve inner conflicts, and (4) a more imaginative approach to life which appreciates all the goodness that exists outside of romance. (That's just a short list of possibilities!)

I know this is a support thread, not purgatory - please do take my ramblings as intended, as supportive! [Smile]

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016