homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » A Truth Universally Acknowledged... (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A Truth Universally Acknowledged...
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So decide that it is not a date [in your own mind] - just go out for dinner with him and enjoy. If it leads on to something else then good, if it doesn't you've still deepened a good friendship.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
So decide that it is not a date [in your own mind] - just go out for dinner with him and enjoy. If it leads on to something else then good, if it doesn't you've still deepened a good friendship.

Wise words from WW. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he's not a total stranger and you already know him then no worries. That does make it easier.

quote:
just go out for dinner with him and enjoy. If it leads on to something else then good, if it doesn't you've still deepened a good friendship.

Precisely.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And if it's not a date date, offer to pay half or your share (you can get stung paying half). That keeps it in the deepening friendship stakes rather than turns it into expectations until you're ready.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
He asked, so let him pay. You could offer to pay for the tip if you like.

No no no no no no no no no no don't do that....

That tells him you think he's cheap and won't tip properly. Paying the tip is part of paying for dinner.

Oh ok. This is probably a USA vs EU thing.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, now we are over thinking comet's date.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

ah!

darling, you always know just the right thing to say. this is of course the right tack.

whew. sometimes I just think myself right up my own ass and can't find my way out.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I'd leave the chopped-off moose head at home [Biased] Have fun!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
LOL, now we are over thinking comet's date.

No pressure, comet - go out, have a good time, and imagine the SoF peanut gallery sitting behind you critiquing your every move. [Big Grin]

Oh, and your choice of outfit needs to be approved in advance by Eccles...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Enjoy, comet... [Smile]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course we expect a minute by minute narrative via social media.

Actually, no. I was in a Chinese takeaway not so long ago, when a young(ish) man and woman came in and ordered, then he betook himself off, possibly to buy the bottle to go with dinner while she waited to collect. Directly he was gone she was on the phone to a GF - no, he hadn't paid for the food, but he looked as if he might stay the night! Updates to follow.

I thought dear god the terrors of modern dating with built-in continuous assessment and performance review.

[ 27. July 2014, 20:11: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And of course we expect a minute by minute narrative via social media ...

No no no! Do you want the poor girl to get a second date? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Here's the problem: I've been asked on a date...

Dating is a royal pain. It's not all that easy from the other side, either.

But much of that is because there is too much expectation about a traditional "date" and not enough communication. The good news is that it doesn't have to be that way. You are both adults, so do what is comfortable instead of worrying about what is supposed to happen on a "date".

First, express preferences about what you do. At least for some of us that makes it much more likely to lead to a fun time together than if the man has to try to read your mind. Possible responses to help direct the discussion might include:

"That would be great fun! We could [insert things you would like to do and/or places you'd like to go here]..."

"If we go on Thursday we can have Thai food."

"Actually, I'd rather dig clams / fly kites / watch the State Highway arrive / polish moose antlers / watch the sunset together."

"I have to be home by xx o'clock to help the kids with homework / feed the dogs / skin a porcupine / get enough sleep to go to work the next day."

And if he isn't smart enough to take your preferences into consideration, he might not be someone you want to see very often.

You don't have to let him pay for everything if you don't want to, or you can choose someplace that won't break his budget. On the other hand, if he thinks that the honor of your company is worth the cost of dinner at a fancy place (meaning they have tablecloths or french words on the menu), then put some mink oil on your best dress boots and go enjoy yourself!

Of course, in a town that small, everyone will know how it went before you even get home, down to how many buttons were undone on your flannel shirt. If you want privacy you might need to take a Beaver to Skagway.

As far as assumptions about what happens after dinner, my view is that there shouldn't be any. (Hopes, perhaps...) You can help to set expectations during the planning phase if it appears otherwise. And if you hit it off, you get to decide how much of your decolletage to expose to mosquitoes or whether to stop for some tonsil hockey on the way home.

You're adults, you get to make those decisions rather than trying to live up to an outmoded and ill-defined set of expectations of a "date".

Relax and have fun. And if you find yourself overthinking things, make jokes about it.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

Of course, in a town that small, everyone will know how it went before you even get home, down to how many buttons were undone on your flannel shirt. If you want privacy you might need to take a Beaver to Skagway.

I do love a Local! [Big Grin] You understand! though Skagway is STILL too local. More like Whitehorse or Juneau.

(everyone else: a Beaver is an airplane, get your minds out of the gutter.)

This is actually part of the issue, in a way. He's fairly recently divorced, and his ex wife lives here. it's amicable, as far as I can tell, but you know how talk goes. which makes me think a public dinner might not be such a great idea. I was actually thinking of suggesting to him that we do a hike or a beach bonfire instead. I'll see him tomorrow so I am going to try that tactic.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whitehorse? That's in a different country! [Big Grin]

I can understand the "everyone will know" scenario very well though, having grown up in a place with a population of about 6,000. When D. and I got engaged, a colleague asked me if we'd be putting an announcement in the local weekly paper. "I shouldn't think so", I said; "by Thursday everybody'll know."

As they say, a feather at one end of the town is a feather bed by the time it reaches the other.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

I do love a Local! [Big Grin] You understand! though Skagway is STILL too local. More like Whitehorse or Juneau.

(everyone else: a Beaver is an airplane, get your minds out of the gutter.)

This is actually part of the issue, in a way. He's fairly recently divorced, and his ex wife lives here. it's amicable, as far as I can tell, but you know how talk goes. which makes me think a public dinner might not be such a great idea. I was actually thinking of suggesting to him that we do a hike or a beach bonfire instead. I'll see him tomorrow so I am going to try that tactic.

Of course, if you go out to dinner on the town everyone will know what you were up to. If you go out of the communal vision, speculation could become rampant about the delicious possibilities. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are interested in someone romantically, but want to develop your friendship first, how do you keep from constantly thinking about them in a romantic sense rather than just a friendship sense? It may just be an INFJ thing with our 'rich inner life', but I can spend so much time 'progressing' mentally with a person when the real-life stuff needs to progress first!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I can spend so much time 'progressing' mentally with a person when the real-life stuff needs to progress first!

Oh my - been there, done that!
quote:
If you are interested in someone romantically, but want to develop your friendship first, how do you keep from constantly thinking about them in a romantic sense rather than just a friendship sense?

Ah yes, I've got myself trapped rather hideously in the friend zone a couple of times. Lesson learnt, I think - what I've done since then, with people I've been romantically interested in, is try to hang out with them in groups and stuff, and make a point of chatting with them, but fairly quickly ask them out on what can only be construed as a date. That way, I've not given my feelings so much time to race away far beyond the actual state of the friendship / relationship.

I think you can keep dates low-key for a while, if you want to take it slow and easy, while still being obvious that you are dating. Yes, there are risks, I guess - you're putting yourself out there to get hurt by rejection, you might ask 'too soon' before the other person has got a chance to know you and see how fab you are. But for people like me who are vulnerable to the 'friend zone' trap, perhaps it's the way things have to be...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you are interested in someone romantically, but want to develop your friendship first, how do you keep from constantly thinking about them in a romantic sense rather than just a friendship sense? It may just be an INFJ thing with our 'rich inner life', but I can spend so much time 'progressing' mentally with a person when the real-life stuff needs to progress first!

I hear you. For me, I find it helpful to just acknowledge to self that these thoughts/feelinga are present (because denying them is like the old saw about intentionally not thinking of a purple elephant--it doesn't work), while mindfully cultivating the other thoughts as well. That means I intentionally try to see my 'desired' person as I would see any other friend, and/ or I try using the lens I have for desired person on any other friend: the hope is to align the lenses a bit more than I would do otherwise. And, as Kevin said, group interactions are more conducive to platonic thoughts and relationships: if it's too hard to keep the 'friend' lens in a 1:1 situation, it may be wise to limit 1:1 contact for a bit.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Ah yes, I've got myself trapped rather hideously in the friend zone a couple of times.

Oh my, that link. I have so many feelings about the content of that article. Just .... [Mad]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
I can spend so much time 'progressing' mentally with a person when the real-life stuff needs to progress first!

Oh my - been there, done that!
quote:
If you are interested in someone romantically, but want to develop your friendship first, how do you keep from constantly thinking about them in a romantic sense rather than just a friendship sense?

Ah yes, I've got myself trapped rather hideously in the friend zone a couple of times. Lesson learnt, I think - what I've done since then, with people I've been romantically interested in, is try to hang out with them in groups and stuff, and make a point of chatting with them, but fairly quickly ask them out on what can only be construed as a date. That way, I've not given my feelings so much time to race away far beyond the actual state of the friendship / relationship.

I think you can keep dates low-key for a while, if you want to take it slow and easy, while still being obvious that you are dating. Yes, there are risks, I guess - you're putting yourself out there to get hurt by rejection, you might ask 'too soon' before the other person has got a chance to know you and see how fab you are. But for people like me who are vulnerable to the 'friend zone' trap, perhaps it's the way things have to be...

Yeah, I am not in any way afraid of 'the friendzone' because I don't see friendship as inferior to romantic relationships, or friends as vending machines that I put niceness coins into until romance comes out. I've spoken about the sexism behind the term on here before and don't want to derail the thread, but suffice to say it's a term I don't appreciate and does not apply to me in any way.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Oh, sorry folks - I was unaware that the term 'friend zone' had some controversy around it. I was thinking it could just as easily apply to women, although I realise the page I linked to was very much from the perspective of men. I meant no offence.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've spoken about the sexism behind the term on here before and don't want to derail the thread, but suffice to say it's a term I don't appreciate and does not apply to me in any way.

My daughter uses it all the time, in an entirely matter-of-fact and non-sexist way. She's a different generation, and proscribing terms they find useful descriptors is going to be problematic.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does have an unfortunate meaning in some circles- your daughter may be using it differently, but some guys use it to mean that a girl should be attracted to them and isn't.

Generally used that way by people who believe All Women like jerks better than nice guys (and that's why a particular woman doesn't want to date Me, because I am too nice for her!).

When used this way it's a symptom of an inability to accept that some people just don't want to sleep with you, even if they like you as a person.

See xkcd for an example of this mindset.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That may be true, but I won't be correcting her. Her language, her rules.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, but... you don't want her to know she's using a term that might offend people? (I am 35 and I believe JC is in her early twenties, so I don't think the Nice Guy meaning is generational.)
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

(Sorry, hosts... I know this is more Purgatory than not - I may even start a thread!)

I do understand that language can be captured by other meanings, and thereby tainted by association. But I'm sure that Jade would find it entirely condescending of me to have me explain to her that 'friendzone' can have an completely innocent definition, revolving around knowing your peers since before Primary school and seeing them solely as mates, and not as potential 'mates'.

So I'm going to leave it as it is. Miss Tor and her peers use it innocently as a simple descriptor. There are so very few innocent things in a teenager's life these days...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I secretly promised myself that if someone/anyone carried on this language tangent I would respectfully request them to take it all to Purgatory and then you offer to do so - thanks. This discussion no longer belongs here.

WW
AS Host.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Reporting in as requested.

After vague conversations the gentleman in question didn't follow up. He had said something about moving and his performance schedule, so I waited and tried to be patient (really!) but yesterday my patience ran out. I left a note on his windshield that went something like this:

Dear sir:
I need your advice. Say someone asked you out, and you were very interested, but that someone never followed up. Would you wait patiently like the patient person you are not, write an odd hypothetical note, or sneak in in the middle of the night like a ninja and kidnap him for your nefarious purposes? Please advise.
Sincerely, Ninja Impulse Money

he called an hour later. Made me dinner. It was lovely. [Big Grin]

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most excellent!

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Most excellent!

Well said, I concur!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great way of dealing with this comet - glad it worked out well

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Well done!!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay. But did he explain why he hadn't contacted you?

This is something that continues to confuse me - when men are really keen and then disappear.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

In my experience, it's because they are easily distracted.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ecumaniac: In my experience, it's because they are easily distracted.
That's not tr

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Come back, LeRoc! Earth calling LeRoc! [Big Grin]

Glad it worked out, Comet. Is he a good cook?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Helluva cook, actually. And a tidy house!

I think it was a combination of easily distracted and nerves. So I just plowed through the nerves in my usual subtle way.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

(Glad it worked out well for comet too.)

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool!!!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Helluva cook, actually. And a tidy house!...

Are you sure he's straight?

[Two face]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:

I think it was a combination of easily distracted and nerves. So I just plowed through the nerves in my usual subtle way.

It's obvious. He didn't want to approach you until he'd tidied up...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
quote:

[Two face]

well, one never knows, but I'm pretty sure.... [Devil]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

It's obvious. He didn't want to approach you until he'd tidied up...
but see? That's the thing! between my delivery of the note and my walking in the door we're talking 2 hours, max. if he needed that to tidy up, the place wasn't all that bad to begin with. at least in relation to my definition of messy. Which admittedly would be other people's definition of apocalyptic.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll bet the proverbial farm he was waiting for a Sign. Which you gave.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
quote:

[Two face]

Perhaps he's bi. If so, jackpot!

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Did anyone go to the Christian Connection events at Greenbelt, and how were they? I did email them asking if they'd be covering anything to do with LGBT Christians and dating, and expanding their site to include LGBT Christians - somewhat unsurprisingly I didn't get a response!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's odd, I thought they were pretty inclusive.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, Christian Connection is a totally different organisation from Greenbelt - GB *are* (ISTM) pretty inclusive of LGBT folk, but my experience of CC (over a decade ago) is that the vast majority of people who used the service were pretty conservative evangelical. I think if that hasn't changed much over the last decade or so then they would struggle to become more LGBT-inclusive, even if they wanted to, without losing a lot of their regular 'customers'.

We didn't make it to GB this year (didn't work out with timing of other holiday), but I'm curious to go next year. As we are based in Scotland we only have a few years left that we *can* go to GB, before the Elf Lass starts school (up here they start back mid-August and no August Bank Holiday, so coming to GB would mean taking her out of school).

[ 27. August 2014, 11:38: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh sorry to include GB comment in my edit - in my baby-addled confusion I thought I was commenting on the GB thread! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016