homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » A Truth Universally Acknowledged... (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A Truth Universally Acknowledged...
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The important thing is, not to break this silence, even if it becomes awkward. In fact, you want it to become a bit awkward. Do what you have to (count inwardly if needed) but don't break the silence. He must be the one who breaks the silence.

But doesn't that leave the poor bloke stuck to know what to say? [Eek!] I am not sure how helpful it would be to make things more awkward, especially as the guy is unassertive. If I want to know where I stand with someone I tend to ask. [Biased]

Nen - too outspoken for her own good.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
The important thing is, not to break this silence, even if it becomes awkward. In fact, you want it to become a bit awkward. Do what you have to (count inwardly if needed) but don't break the silence. He must be the one who breaks the silence.

But doesn't that leave the poor bloke stuck to know what to say? [Eek!] I am not sure how helpful it would be to make things more awkward, especially as the guy is unassertive. If I want to know where I stand with someone I tend to ask. [Biased]

Nen - too outspoken for her own good.

Yes, it does leave him there, because as ken suggested men do not get hints. None of them, not even great big hints with "Oi! I'm interested!" on them in Cecil B. deMille style film titles. If you're really lucky, you might get a reply of "Interested in what?"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sola gratia
Apprentice
# 14065

- Posted      Profile for Sola gratia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all for your advice.

I acknowledge that I need to be a big girl and get up the courage to do *something* or I can have no reason to mope. I was just wavering as I didn't trust my judgement of his behaviour nor my negligible experience in the field of luv 'n' romance.

I think I shall try and arrange to see him this weekend and at least try and find out which way he swings. Nenya, you are of course right, there's no better way than to ask him. I was of course hoping to remain a coward, but so be it! [Biased]

For the record, I can't say I really have any concrete reason to think that he is gay, but I never like to assume, and I didn't really like to ask either. I tend to avoid asking personal questions unless/until I sense people are comfortable volunteering it, but I suppose I am a fairly private person (and a coward), and as Duchess says, it is a useful thing to know as a friend so as to be a better friend.

I don't know how much I'd want to agree with a blanket statement that men are bad at reading signals, certainly not that they are always worse than women. I think I am quite dense myself in that department, and I am a woman. Mind you, a male friend of mine who I had always thought reasonably perceptive until then, did tell the story at his wedding last year of how his now wife had been forced to spell it out to him in order for them to finally get together. Apparently he hadn't got the hint after weeks of cosy movies, and she was forced to sit him down and use the immortal line: "On a scale of one to very, how obvious is it that I like you?!" [Overused]

I've often wondered if I should take a leaf out of her book.

SG

--------------------
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment - Bill Bailey

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after a very awkward date on Sunday I am concluding that online dating is not for me. Sigh.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah nuts! It genuinely seems like many awkward dates are the lot of those who try online dating. It's been my experience that I find them less stressful/easier to tolerate as I go on more of the damn things, though--and that it's fundamentally good practice. Or, possibly, exposure therapy. As in, the person who's fundamentally terrified of giant hairy spiders needs to be in the same room as giant hairy spiders many many times before she stops freaking out a bit and/or running away.

I had one last night: didn't "spark" at all with the guy, but found myself nevertheless sort of enjoying the conversation--recognizing, wow, this is a chance to hear the perspective of a person I'd never meet otherwise, and he's interesting enough, and there are dozens more folks out there. I'm not keen to meet that many more of them, but I do recognize that I'm sweating the process a bit less, the more I go through it.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
I mean, giving small hints, teasing eachother, circling around eachother like boxers... isn't this part of the fun?

No. Its horrible and scary and unsettling and stressful and puts you under a lot of pressure!
That's exactly the way i feel also. Some people enjoy the "dating game" and more power to them -- enjoy! But some simply by nature definitely do not enjoy that particular game. It does not work for them. I am one of the latter.

[ 27. November 2012, 05:02: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite being a socially unsuccessful gay man I am fond of the advice of Miss Manners on this subject.

The problem is that human nature is such that there is nothing so unattractive as someone pursuing you with passion. So how do people meet?

The solution is flirting. One party makes a pleasant but ambiguous action. If the other person is interested, they do not leap into unattractive pursuit, but respond with their own ambiguous gesture, which narrows the field. This continues until you are close enough that asking to go out is not a huge leap of passion.
"Properly done, no-one is exactly sure what is happening..."

The two of you may be doing this already. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ken: Also it sounds like something out of a pre-Victorian novel.
In this case, she would also demurely suggest that she already had her bridal chest ready, while at the same time keeping an eye out to see whether their chapperone was returning already [Biased]

quote:
Nenya: But doesn't that leave the poor bloke stuck to know what to say? [Eek!] I am not sure how helpful it would be to make things more awkward
But don't you think "Can I ask you something? I'm hopeless at reading signals and I'm just a bit unsure of expectations in our relationship. I really like you and our times together but I don't know if you're wanting anything more than companionship?" is awkward too?

Looking at it again, I'm not sure if 'awkward' is the right word to describe what I was getting at. It's more about building some kind of playful tension between people.

quote:
ButchCassidy: (I remember drunkenly getting down on one knee to ask a girl out, classy)
Let me guess what her reaction was [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bizarrely she liked it [Paranoid] sometimes the drunken brazen thing does work.

Agree with people saying should do it in a roundabout flirty way: asking straightout does seem rather formal, and I can see why people do get anxious if they approach it in this mini-proposal method.

But its clear from this thread there are different comfort zones in dating which will affect how one approaches making a move. Some people want to go straight into a relatively serious relationship with someone they are serious about, others slide into things with someone they like the look of and have a good time with. Personally, used to favour the former, now, after some of infinite_monkey's exposure therapy, greatly enjoy the latter, but guess will use the former for 'the One'.

[ 27. November 2012, 10:12: Message edited by: ButchCassidy ]

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But don't you think "Can I ask you something? I'm hopeless at reading signals and I'm just a bit unsure of expectations in our relationship. I really like you and our times together but I don't know if you're wanting anything more than companionship?" is awkward too?

I guess it depends on the kind of person you are. I'd rather have a straight question to answer than a silence I don't know how to fill but maybe that's just me. [Smile]

Sola gratia, are you still in touch with the acquaintance/best friend? Couldn't you ask her if he's gay?

Nen - running out of ideas.

[ 27. November 2012, 16:46: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Despite being a socially unsuccessful gay man I am fond of the advice of Miss Manners on this subject.

The problem is that human nature is such that there is nothing so unattractive as someone pursuing you with passion. So how do people meet?

The solution is flirting. One party makes a pleasant but ambiguous action. If the other person is interested, they do not leap into unattractive pursuit, but respond with their own ambiguous gesture, which narrows the field. This continues until you are close enough that asking to go out is not a huge leap of passion.
"Properly done, no-one is exactly sure what is happening..."

The two of you may be doing this already. [Smile]

For those of you who might like a few ideas about flirting here are some from a while back.

nb. some of these might not be entirely serious. They were posted in Heaven rather than All Saints, and you know what the fluffy bunnies are like.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry, but when I'm reading some of the posts on this thread, sometimes it makes me want to shout: don't over-think it too much.

I kind of agree with the above, but then this was followed by:
quote:
Do you mind if I try an alternative take on this?

If I were Sola gratia, what I'd do is something like this. I'd try to get into a relaxed conversation with my friend and then some contrived and convoluted way of bringing a conversation to a specific point, involving fake embarrassed smiles and well-timed periods of silence designed to manoeuvre the guy down some path or other.

I would have thought this, if anything, is overthinking the situation.
I am all in favour of having the conversation though, just not sure how pre-meditated it could/should be. It can be extremely, painfully embarrassing to broach the subject of whether or not the other person is interested in you the same way, but do the potential benefits of a positive response outweigh the potential drawbacks of a negative one?

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
I would have thought this, if anything, is overthinking the situation.

"Overthinking" sounds like an odd concept to me. Like "overtired" which is supposed to mean "too tired to sleep" but actually means "I want my kid to go to sleep so they bloody well will whether they are tired or not". What have we to guide our actions but thinking?

quote:

... do the potential benefits of a positive response outweigh the potential drawbacks of a negative one?

That depends on your Bayesian priors [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this will had helpful perspective to the whole "reading signals" and flirting thing, but what the heck.

I've always, by and large, found it easier to be friends with women rather than blokes. No exclusively, but I'm crap at the sport stuff, and fine with the feelings stuff. I'm also a fairly tactile fella, and a disgraceful conversational flirt by natural inclination, particularly if encouraged.

As a result I've usually found myself with lots of female friends, and pre-marriage potentially interested in some of them.

However, back when "does she/doesn't she feel that way?" was an issue, I still had hideous doubts. I had virtually no self-confidence when it came to my own attractiveness, couldn't bring myself to just chance it for a casual thing, and didn't want to trash good friendships by going for a snog, or even a hand-hold that might be unwelcome.

And because a lot of my friendships were naturally flirty, that made it worse. I had no way to work out whether I was getting a signal, or just engaging in badinage. So it was a perfect storm of getting so far, then drowning in uncertainty. So flirting can be a bit of a double-edged sword.

I think that if I found myself in that position again now, somewhat (ahem) older I'd probably just screw up my courage and be direct. It would take a few weeks/months of sleepless nights and angst, but I have no idea how the hell else to do it, and playing games can hide as much as it reveals.

FWIW, despite being very easy, and welcome, in the company of women, I only chalked up three proper relationships: one in my mid-teens, classic "Will you go out with me?" (++angst); one in late teens when someone I thought held me beneath their notice pulled a surprise declaration on me; one with a good friend in my early twenties, fuelled by alcohol and poor judgement.

That last one? That's the one that's still going umpty years of marriage later. Go figure.

[Votive] for anyone having to navigate the whole flipping minefield

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
... do the potential benefits of a positive response outweigh the potential drawbacks of a negative one?

That depends on your Bayesian priors [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]
Is that from the Tim Minchin School of Dating?

[ 28. November 2012, 22:19: Message edited by: Hazey*Jane ]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jonah the Whale: I would have thought this, if anything, is overthinking the situation.
Don't worry, I was very much playing by ear when I wrote this [Smile]

Of course, the direct approach might work sometimes. Undoubtedly some Shipmates have used the direct approach and have been married for forty years now. The best of luck to them.

But I have tried the direct approach when I was younger, and in my experience it inevitably lead to the "I really like you, but I see you more as a friend" speech. Over and over again. And I doubt very much that I'm the only one who's been at the receiving end of this.

I really do think that the direct approach (waiting for the 'right' moment, and then asking her[*] out directly, or asking her to clarify her feelings about you, or making some kind of love declaration to her...) has some very obvious disadvantages.

I don't know, I guess it's because it creates a tension that suddenly gets very high. And it's not a playful tension, it's something quite serious. In fact, it creates a tense, serious moment with high emotional stakes. Often, it can feel like an 'all or nothing' situation, and the 'R-word' is always very prominent in the middle of it. (Rejection. Duh.)

Also, it actually puts a lot of pressure on the other person: you practically force her to show her hand, even if it's quite possible that she hasn't made her mind up about it yet. I'm not even sure if this is any less 'manipulative'?

So, that's why I prefer the dance. I hate putting things like this in schedules, but it would be something like this:
  1. Move the conversation to something more 'suggestive'.
  2. Build up a playful tension between you and the other person.
  3. Go with the flow, and have fun with it.

There will always be tension in situations like this, but in this case the tension is gradual, fun and much more natural. You gave both of you a chance to back off gracefully if needs be, and I think this can greatly reduce the anxiety on both sides. And most importantly: even if it doesn't work out, you learned something, and you had fun.

In my (admittedly clumsily formulated) example, I used silence as a way of building up playful tension. As in a dance: "I've been taking the lead for a while, now I'm going to hang back a bit and see what you do. Then we'll build on that." This can work if you do it right. But there definitely are other ways, it very much depends on the person.

If I would describe two people doing a tango on a medium like this one, it would probably feel contrived and fake. "Nobody would ever move like that in real life!" But ultimately, tango isn't about the moves. It's about two dancers creating a tension between them.

[*]I've given up on writing 'him/her' all the time. I'm going to write from the point of view of a man who's interested in a woman. Feel free to change the gender of either person as you please. Also, 'you' means a general you. End of disclaimer [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Often, it can feel like an 'all or nothing' situation, and the 'R-word' is always very prominent in the middle of it. (Rejection. Duh.)

No, the true R-word is "Respect". If she says "I really respect you", or even worse "I'll always respect you" you know you are on to a loser.

In the scale of rejection lines it comes one step behind "There's too much going on in my life right now for me to be thinking about relationships" (which usually means she's just started going out with someone else but doesn't want to tell you), but somewhere in front of "I don't want to spoil our friendship" or "This isn't about you, its about me, I'm not really right for you, we'd never be happy together, don't worry, I know there is Someone Really Special Out There for you, just wait till the right one comes along"

Basically they are pretend polite ways to say "I don't fancy you and wouldn't go out with you if you were the last man on the planet, and as for sex I wouldn't touch you with a bargepole if I was blindfolded" (Are there secret training schools where women are taught to say these things?)

They never work of course. Loads of men are too stupid to realise they are being turned down, and only try harder, whch never helps. And those who do understand will be just as hurt as if you put it bluntly. In fact often more hurt. I can't even remember the names of some women who said "Sorry, I just don't fancy you". But those other lines can still rankle after decades.

--------------------
Ken

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
No, the true R-word is "Respect". If she says "I really respect you", or even worse "I'll always respect you" you know you are on to a loser.

Noooo. The Bible says a wife must respect her husband. It's a clear sign from God that you should get married. [Biased]

Nen - matchmaker extraordinaire.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used the too much going on in my life once. I had just broken up with one guy for that reason. I was not going to hurt another by putting him through the same.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Noooo. The Bible says a wife must respect her husband. It's a clear sign from God that you should get married. [Biased]

Respect before marriage is Bad and Wrong though...

--------------------
Ken

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Are there secret training schools where women are taught to say these things?).

Yes. But I can't say any more, or they'll take me away and I'll have to make cupcakes for all eternity*.

*cupcakes all good in their place, but I prefer to vary my baked goods.

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one thing that bothers me is the gender segregation of friendships in my current Christian circles. I really would value a physically affectionate male friend without the need to be in a romantic relationship with him, but all the guys at CU are either in relationships or at the tentative start of one, and male-female hugs outside of romantic relationships are Not Done at my CU. I know this might sound oddly specific but I really miss male affection more than anything else. I miss my affectionate male friends [Frown]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
ken: I can't even remember the names of some women who said "Sorry, I just don't fancy you". But those other lines can still rankle after decades.
What I find interesting, is that in many cases like this, the guy tries a direct approach but he gets an indirect answer back.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I really would value a physically affectionate male friend without the need to be in a romantic relationship with him, but all the guys at CU are either in relationships or at the tentative start of one, and male-female hugs outside of romantic relationships are Not Done at my CU. I know this might sound oddly specific but I really miss male affection more than anything else. I miss my affectionate male friends [Frown]

Unless they're gay, or they *really* doesn't fancy you, they are going to feel sexual about it. Unavoidable. Automatic. So if the men are taking the not lusting part seriously, they are going to be wary about physically affectionate relationships with young women.

--------------------
Ken

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
I really would value a physically affectionate male friend without the need to be in a romantic relationship with him, but all the guys at CU are either in relationships or at the tentative start of one, and male-female hugs outside of romantic relationships are Not Done at my CU. I know this might sound oddly specific but I really miss male affection more than anything else. I miss my affectionate male friends [Frown]

Unless they're gay, or they *really* doesn't fancy you, they are going to feel sexual about it. Unavoidable. Automatic. So if the men are taking the not lusting part seriously, they are going to be wary about physically affectionate relationships with young women.
Well I've had friendships like that in the past with men who (presumably) really don't fancy me. I clearly need more gay male friends [Biased] But in all seriousness, I would presume that the ones in relationships don't fancy me otherwise they wouldn't be in a relationship with other people.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But in all seriousness, I would presume that the ones in relationships don't fancy me otherwise they wouldn't be in a relationship with other people.
Well I'm not a man, but I must break it to you Jade that for many (most?) people, being in a relationship with one person does not automatically stop one from fancying others. I would guess this applies even more to men than it does to women, so I guess Ken is right and these young men are holding back for a good reason. Doesn't help you much though I realise.

[ 30. November 2012, 17:21: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
But in all seriousness, I would presume that the ones in relationships don't fancy me otherwise they wouldn't be in a relationship with other people.

No. Really no. I reckon most men are probably sexually attracted to about half of the women they meet. Or youngish men anyway, it falls off a bit with age - though not that much. Its automatic, hard to control, and potentially very embarrassing.

And what Gracious Rebel said.

--------------------
Ken

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What ken and Gracious Rebel said.

I'm very happily married, wouldn't stray in the slightest, and am confident that in a world where Mrs Snags didn't exist there wouldn't be a hope in hell of any kind of serious romantic relationship working with almost any of my female friends (from 17 - 60+). None of that, however, stops me finding the majority of them attractive.

Doesn't stop me hugging the ones that it's appropriate to hug either, mind. Although that is a smaller sub-set (closer in age, deeper friendship, everyone on same page) because I tend to assume once they're >10 years younger than me the idea of a hug would be more than a bit squicky anyway.

I'm also slightly freaked out at an anti-hugging CU. My (old) experience was that most such groups were a thinly veiled excuse to hug everyone as a kind of 'safe' contact. Although it was mostly the ladies that took the lead.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sola gratia
Apprentice
# 14065

- Posted      Profile for Sola gratia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* Well, the lad in question came to mine last week, and I'm still cringing from the awkwardness. [Hot and Hormonal] I felt super self-conscious having him round my house (I’m back with my family - thanks recession - whom I love dearly but probably didn't help the tension I felt) and I think he may have felt a little uncomfortable too. He is unfailingly polite, so wouldn't have dreamed of saying so (a trait which is currently a little difficult to deal with as it means I remain clueless about how he REALLY feels), although I had forgotten how bitchy his humour can be when he watches trashy TV...

Anyway, of course I chickened out of enquiring about him and relationships (sorry, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it), so it was an evening of awkward small talk or safe topics like books whilst we wandered around my very small town and then went home to mine watched telly with my teenage sister (Take Me Out, would you believe - a dating show!) before he got his train. Aaaargh.

Following a short post-match analysis on the phone with a good friend later, I suddenly realised the reason I was subconsciously thinking he might be gay was that he reminded me strongly of a friend I had several years ago at university with whom I hung around in a similarly ambiguous fashion for a number of months. In that situation, after a while it got weird and I had enough of the nudging and winking from all my friends as I had realised I just didn't feel that way about him, and I sensed he was hesitant too. This lad eventually came out to me, admitting he'd been slightly leading me on in the hope of getting a date with a gay male coursemate of mine he had his eye on. [Mad] Charming. Whatever it is, I don't know if it is my imagination or an emergent gaydar, but this ex-housemate of mine is very reminiscent of him, including in the way he seems to act rather squeamishly about anything to do with sex. I just can’t help feeling as if he may be holding something back. Now admittedly he’s old-fashioned in many ways, but I’m not asking him to turn into Rhett Butler or anything. It’s not altogether encouraging, is it?

I really hope he’s not going down the same route. Selfish as this sounds (let me be clear, I do care about him and would be there for him if he were to do similar), it's disheartening when several of the guys you seem to end up getting close to are gay. (Am I missing a neon sign somewhere on my forehead?!) [Help]

Argh. Sorry, not got much to say apart from that, but just thought I'd update. Back to the drawing board then… [Frown]

--------------------
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment - Bill Bailey

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

No. Really no. I reckon most men are probably sexually attracted to about half of the women they meet. Or youngish men anyway, it falls off a bit with age - though not that much. Its automatic, hard to control, and potentially very embarrassing.

Now I just want to know how to become unattractive to them :/

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why? What is it about that thought that makes you uncomfortable?

Finding someone sexually attractive doesn't equal lusting and leering over them. I'm not male (so maybe our male members can tell me if I'm guessing right here!) but I would imagine that it's more of an automatic response that is not held onto but passes through the mind. A bit like my reaction to seeing this , I'm not going to grab it and gobble it all up but I can't help thinking 'Mmmmmm!" It's more or less an automatic reaction! It makes me think of something I like. I'm not sure what is so bad about that as long as that is not the sum total of how someone sees another person. We are sexual beings, it is a normal part of being human even though it's expression varies hugely from person to person.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:

Wait till you get to my age, my dear. You'll be grateful for the merest hint that anyone finds you vaguely attractive. [Biased]

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconded Nenya! [Biased]
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Lucia, yes, more or less, although I'd be less restrained with chocolate cake than female friends [Smile]

It's definitely not a feelthy lust thing; it's just that one tends to find female friends attractive, and in different circumstances you might well ponder whether to risk asking them out.

I've had quite long, late night, mildly inebriated chats with good friends (both genders) over this, and we came to the conclusion that it's just life, and in reality it's pretty hard to be friends with someone that you don't find attractive to some degree or another. Not slobbering, jaw-droppingly hot and irresistable, just attractive somewhere on a scale from mild, warm, rounded, balanced thoughts, through to "in another life, who knows ...".

It's far, far, far from having unwholesome or squick-making thoughts about every person you meet. So don't panic JC [Smile]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
... I would imagine that it's more of an automatic response that is not held onto but passes through the mind. A bit like my reaction to seeing this , I'm not going to grab it and gobble it all up but I can't help thinking 'Mmmmmm!"

Yep, that's it, it pretty accurately.

(Except that some of the organs the response passes through are not usually described as part of the mind, and the men concerned, if not already in some kind of relationship (and maybe even of they are but its not going well) are likely to very hungry, if not starving, which does make it harder not to think about the cake a lot)

--------------------
Ken

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why? What is it about that thought that makes you uncomfortable?

Finding someone sexually attractive doesn't equal lusting and leering over them. I'm not male (so maybe our male members can tell me if I'm guessing right here!) but I would imagine that it's more of an automatic response that is not held onto but passes through the mind. A bit like my reaction to seeing this , I'm not going to grab it and gobble it all up but I can't help thinking 'Mmmmmm!" It's more or less an automatic reaction! It makes me think of something I like. I'm not sure what is so bad about that as long as that is not the sum total of how someone sees another person. We are sexual beings, it is a normal part of being human even though it's expression varies hugely from person to person.

I just don't *get* reactions like that I'm afraid, not to anything really. I just feel very uncomfortable with someone who I'm not attracted to finding me attractive, it makes me feel like I have less control over my body and who gets to feel things about it. I want to be able to give permission first.

[coding]

[ 05. December 2012, 15:22: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't had the problem of gay fiends who I wish weren't - what I've had has been male friends with whom I have spent time in cheerful conversation, which I didn't dominate, who I've somehow manoeuvred into brother/sister mode. One of whom was definitely attracted properly at one time. Very frustrating.

Jade, I don't know what you look like, but I did manage once to give the impression that I was not unattractive but actually repulsive with a bunch of lads hanging around a beach shelter at night. They'd whistled and commented when I passed them in one direction, and I dreaded passing them on the way back (I thought there was an alternative, but there wasn't). So I shambled past expressionless, acting vacant with my facial muscles slack - not quite dribbling! This time the comments were very nastily dismissive. Wouldn't work with good bones, though. Nor for any long period of time. What worked with men around longer who I didn't feel happy with was the intellectual put down. No matter what their favourite subject, there was always one little nugget of information I had that they didn't. Doesn't matter how much they like ogling the body parts if you do that, they go off in a huff. Sad really. I used to half hope my assessment would be wrong and they'd call my bluff, but it never happened.

There is no connection between these accounts.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade, do you ask permission of someone before you find them attractive? I know it can be a bit awkward when someone you're not interested in fancies you, but I don't think it's really a loss of control of your body. After all, it doesn't go anywhere if you're not interested as well! I'd go with feeling flattered, but not being encouraging.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty,
Youth’s a stuff will not endure

It's nothing personal: it's an evolutionary thing - at the optimal mating age, provided the potential partner has a pulse, it's attractive. So priketh hem Nature in hir corages. It will pass soon enough.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
What worked with men around longer who I didn't feel happy with was the intellectual put down. No matter what their favourite subject, there was always one little nugget of information I had that they didn't. Doesn't matter how much they like ogling the body parts if you do that, they go off in a huff. Sad really.

Do guys really consider it a put down if you happen to express a greater knowledge of a topic than they have? I'm starting to suspect this is true, but it depresses me. If I'm talking to someone about something I'm interested in, and they know about it too, I think 'Great! We've got something to talk about it'. But there have been times when it's felt like I've 'overstepped the mark' by happening to get involved in a conversation rather than merely receptively nodding in awe while someone lectures or mansplains something to me. Certainly even if it doesn't repel guys it seems to put you firmly in 'friend' territory.

If this is the case then it's all quite depressing cos (i) I want to be with someone I can have interesting conversations with (besides all the other stuff), and that kind of hinges on me being allowed to talk too and (ii) being an academic researcher with a nerdy interest in trivia, I happen to know a little bit about a lot of things. I don't ram my education or knowledge down people's throats, but I don't want to play dumb either.

I have a horrible feeling that similar principles apply to humour. For years I misguidedly thought that when guys said they like women with a sense of humour, they meant someone who made them laugh. It's only dawned on me more recently that for a lot of guys they mean 'someone who will laugh at my jokes'. Turns out if you match them pun for pun... you're consigned to the friend zone again.

For someone who has never considered their looks to be their strong point, it irks me to know that the two things I thought were my good qualities - my sense of humour and my intelligence - actually get me marked down, cos I don't apply them correctly to the ideal model (which is basically one up from 'be seen and not heard').

Stupid bloody 'rules'. What century is this?

[/rant]

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno--I kind of think that what people find attractive in the initial stages is indicative of what they'd like longer-term. So, if a person initially finds me less attractive because of my intelligence and desire to be part of a dialogue, not a rapt audience for a monologue, I'd say that means we'd be doomed long-term anyway. I know a good many men who genuinely find smart, graciously opinionated women very attractive indeed. Is that the default option? Probably not. But they're out there, and ultimately, if you yourself are a smart, graciously opinionated woman, that's your target market anyway.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
Jade, do you ask permission of someone before you find them attractive? I know it can be a bit awkward when someone you're not interested in fancies you, but I don't think it's really a loss of control of your body. After all, it doesn't go anywhere if you're not interested as well! I'd go with feeling flattered, but not being encouraging.

It's been a very long time since I found anyone attractive.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You really think it works like that? If someone forbade you to have a particular type of feeling about them, you would simply stop having it?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
I dunno--I kind of think that what people find attractive in the initial stages is indicative of what they'd like longer-term. So, if a person initially finds me less attractive because of my intelligence and desire to be part of a dialogue, not a rapt audience for a monologue, I'd say that means we'd be doomed long-term anyway. I know a good many men who genuinely find smart, graciously opinionated women very attractive indeed. Is that the default option? Probably not. But they're out there, and ultimately, if you yourself are a smart, graciously opinionated woman, that's your target market anyway.

I'm inclined to agree - I don't see any point in changing how I come across for the purposes of attracting someone, because if they don't like the real me at the start, then when will they? Interestingly, the only times in recent years that someone has displayed an interest in me in the real world (rather than from internet dating) have been in contexts where my work life has hardly got a mention in the initial 'getting to know you' stages. In one case, the guy subsequently discovered just how nerdy I am and was fine with it. In the other case, I think I've been asked out by the guy, but I have a feeling he might run scared once he gets to know me more. Oh well.

Now about these "men who genuinely find smart, graciously opinionated women very attractive indeed" - where can I find them? [Big Grin] Or are they all married off by now? [Roll Eyes]

Hazey

PS. Thank you for the phrase 'graciously opinionated'. I'd like to think that's what I am. I don't pick fights or debate just for the sake of it, honest! [Smile]

[ 06. December 2012, 22:46: Message edited by: Hazey*Jane ]

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
You really think it works like that? If someone forbade you to have a particular type of feeling about them, you would simply stop having it?

I'd love to meet a person who could do that. Wait, maybe not. I think a person who could do that would scare me.

One of the things I've worked on, very heavily, through years and years of therapy, is accepting the validity of my own feelings. Realizing that feelings don't have to be rational or tidy or welcome or nice--they don't always play by the rules that we want them to. If they trouble us, we can try to alter them, but it's not always as simple as we'd like them to be.

The thing that's helped me do that is recognizing a key idea: you're fundamentally allowed to have whatever feeling you have. You are not fundamentally allowed to have any behavior.

I can't control whether people fancy me or don't, just as I can't, ultimately, fully master my own mechanisms for fancying others. But I can set boundaries for what I'll let people do or refrain from doing with whatever feelings they've got, and I need to be mindful of how I play my own feelings out, because my spoken words and enacted behaviors have impacts on others.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just don't *get* reactions like that I'm afraid, not to anything really. I just feel very uncomfortable with someone who I'm not attracted to finding me attractive, it makes me feel like I have less control over my body and who gets to feel things about it. I want to be able to give permission first.

Not the way it works.
You will oft be chased by those with whom you wish to be chaste, and chaste with those you wish would chase; until chased is no more the case and chaste is all that occurs.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

quote:
It's possible that the word "attractive" is suffering from a shades of meaning issue here. In the majority of cases it's a very mild thing, not a "Phwoar" thing. And equally (from personal and anecdotal experience) it's not a purely physical thing. In fact, it's almost the opposite in friendship circles - people who wouldn't immediately tick the shallow physical boxes become increasingly attractive over time as you get to know them better.

I find my friends attractive; to some extent, it's why they're my friends, IYSWIM. It's a long way from there to harbouring impure thoughts about them [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent, Snags, thank you for that.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
Now about these "men who genuinely find smart, graciously opinionated women very attractive indeed" - where can I find them? [Big Grin] Or are they all married off by now? [Roll Eyes]

And I keep wondering that about the women who meet that description—well, sometimes minus the "gracious" bit. I realize that part of my problems may just be because I find a bit of genuine, honest-to-God Bitch to be oh-so-attractive.

I sometimes wonder if all the right people are hiding from one another, writing novels, making art, going to concerts, taking long bike rides, working late at the office, and otherwise making a worthwhile life, then going home and sighing because another night has arrived without anyone to share it with. I know that if I go out for a beer or something, I may tell myself that it's "to meet someone," but really, I'll pay more attention to what I'm drinking and to the general vibe than anything else. Plus, everyone seems to be in a couple—and do you really want to approach the large groups of people who aren't? Naaaaa.

I doubt I'm the only person of any gender who does this.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I sometimes wonder if all the right people are hiding from one another, writing novels, making art, going to concerts, taking long bike rides, working late at the office, and otherwise making a worthwhile life, then going home and sighing because another night has arrived without anyone to share it with.

Yeah, pretty much! I find it easier to meet people of all sorts now at 50 than I did 25 years ago, mainly because I have learned to put down the damn book and look around me a bit more. I've made more friends, had more fun, and gotten more dates that way.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016