homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite my venlafaxine working very well for me for several months, stress over student finance has resulted in some breakthrough depression and I can't help feeling like a failure. Coupled with me having no clean clothes thanks to a lack of money for laundry, and well, lecture attendance has not been brilliant. Any advice for talking to tutors without feeling like a complete idiot?

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for anyone else facing the beast of depression

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] May your lecturer understand about the pressure depression brings.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get yourself to student services asap:
  1. Depression is a disability
  2. things can be done
  3. the earlier they know it is an issue the more that can be done

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
  2. things can be done

Jengie

I have an appointment with the mental health team tomorrow afternoon.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The SoF Private Board Waving Not Drowning is a good/better place to ask questions like this and get support.

The link is on top of the page and the board is the last one listed. Contact Esmeralda for access. It'll probably take a few days. It's worthwhile joining anyway.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a tutor who suffers from depression herself, I always encourage my students to let me know what is going on in their lives so I can assist them in any way I can. I agree that student services are the way to go and am glad you have an appointment.
I hope and pray that you get the support you need for a full recovery [Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
The SoF Private Board Waving Not Drowning is a good/better place to ask questions like this and get support.

The link is on top of the page and the board is the last one listed. Contact Esmeralda for access. It'll probably take a few days. It's worthwhile joining anyway.

Ahh thank you, have contacted Esmeralda.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
  2. things can be done

Jengie

Good!

Jengie

p.s. Student Services at my University know I suffer from Depression even though my PhD supervisor doesn't. It was noted in case I had a relapse. I have if anything got better during my doctorate.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
quote:
  2. things can be done

Jengie

Good!

Jengie

p.s. Student Services at my University know I suffer from Depression even though my PhD supervisor doesn't. It was noted in case I had a relapse. I have if anything got better during my doctorate.

I have also made a doctor's appointment for Friday, I will ask about possibly increasing my medication dosage (I'm on a fairly low dosage as it is).

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After two and a bit years free from depression, I am really struggling after being made unemployed in the summer.

I had a particularly awful day on Friday last week, which convinced me that I need help again. I am seeing my gp tomorrow afternoon.

I'm slightly worried as I have tried a lot of different meds in the past, and the ones which worked best had side effects which I am not prepared to put up with this time. I'm hoping for a different plan this time.

(Edited because I can't subtract 2009 from 2012...)

[ 15. October 2012, 22:22: Message edited by: Mrs Shrew ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi gang. I'm just coming to accept that this is a permanent part of my MS. (the docs, by contrast, have been trying to get through to me since my diagnosis. I'm stubborn.) in my case, it shows on more of the anxiety side, but it all gets mixed together. I went in thursday and now have meds. I really hope it helps. In my case, its so out of control I'm at risk of losing my house. Here, anyway, there is so much social stigma that theres no way I can use the illness as an explanation. I might just have screwed myself. We'll see.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be worthwhile, in consultation with your GP, considering both Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction pioneered by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mrs Shrew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

I'm sorry you're having such a problem with depression and the same goes for Jade Constable and others. It is a terrible scourge.

Orfeo's suggestion as to the private board is a good one.

May I wish you the very best? [Votive]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As well as also recommending/suggesting Waving Not Drowning on here, there is a site and organisation that has been recently set up, and seems to be doing good things called Black Dog Tribe, you can find it at Black Dog Tribe
They have a forum, are active on twitter (not sure about FB) and also some brilliant articles etc.
It covers mental health illness so had a wide area, but depression is one of them [Smile]

HH x
(edited to fix link code)

[ 15. October 2012, 22:38: Message edited by: Horatio Harumph ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
  2. things can be done

Jengie

Hi Jade,
I hope your appointment went well.

I experienced depression and anxiety at uni and looking back on it, the one thing I would say is to get support and get plenty of people on your side as soon as possible- mental health team, GP, uni counselling, chaplain etc. I often put off asking for help and talking to people because I was too scared and it did me no favours whatsoever!

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade

Like others, I'm a lecturer who suffers from depression.

Talking to your tutor about it will be shit...but turning up in May and trying to do something about it then will be much, much shitter - generally it'll be too late. So well done for getting on with things.

Specific things he/she may be able to do for you, include

* helping you get the right balance between pushing yourself a bit to study hard stuff, whilst not overdoing it and collapsing in a pile of self-loathing. This sometimes means regular meetings, and you should have a personal tutor to help with this. If your department is shit at this (they can be...staff can be numpties at a shit university, or so stressed out about their government research beauty-contest grading (REF) at a good one that they try hard not to meet students) then you can use the student adviser / NUS angle to provide a bit of leverage.

* suggesting which bits are core, and which you might (academic euphemism coming up) leave for a while, until you have a little more time to come back to them.

Most depressives are neurotic ("I'm so stupid and know nothing"), which at least a decent tutor can help with. Thank God you're not character-disordered ("I already know everything") - rare, but generally a lost cause [Smile]

Don't worry about smelling. Currently I (in work) smell...of Butane. It reeks. I've been cutting up old gas cylinders. but I'm in engineering, where smelling bad has a long and distiguished pedigree.

(edit to add - your sig formed the frontpiece to my PhD Thesis. What a verse..."and too much study will wear you out" (GNB))

[ 16. October 2012, 17:19: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Jade

Like others, I'm a lecturer who suffers from depression.

Talking to your tutor about it will be shit...but turning up in May and trying to do something about it then will be much, much shitter - generally it'll be too late. So well done for getting on with things.

Specific things he/she may be able to do for you, include

* helping you get the right balance between pushing yourself a bit to study hard stuff, whilst not overdoing it and collapsing in a pile of self-loathing. This sometimes means regular meetings, and you should have a personal tutor to help with this. If your department is shit at this (they can be...staff can be numpties at a shit university, or so stressed out about their government research beauty-contest grading (REF) at a good one that they try hard not to meet students) then you can use the student adviser / NUS angle to provide a bit of leverage.

* suggesting which bits are core, and which you might (academic euphemism coming up) leave for a while, until you have a little more time to come back to them.

Most depressives are neurotic ("I'm so stupid and know nothing"), which at least a decent tutor can help with. Thank God you're not character-disordered ("I already know everything") - rare, but generally a lost cause [Smile]

Don't worry about smelling. Currently I (in work) smell...of Butane. It reeks. I've been cutting up old gas cylinders. but I'm in engineering, where smelling bad has a long and distiguished pedigree.

(edit to add - your sig formed the frontpiece to my PhD Thesis. What a verse..."and too much study will wear you out" (GNB))

Thanks. We do have personal tutors but they are dealt out centrally so I don't know who mine is and they may not be from my department (social sciences, I'm doing Politics BA). My student welfare cheque clears tomorrow, yippee, so I will actually have money for laundry. The worst thing is that all my lectures/seminars are clumped together into two days (three 2hr sessions on Monday, two sessions on Friday and one on Tuesday) instead of being spread out which I think is making it harder.

I'm seeing my GP on Friday but had to rebook my slot with the mental health team for next Tuesday as I had an emergency dentist appointment - thanks wisdom tooth [Roll Eyes]

[ 16. October 2012, 21:04: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very lucky with personal tutors at university, but even if you don't find them as helpful as you would hope for, you might try the student support centre or chaplaincy as they may well have experienced staff or volunteers who know who to contact and how to get help.

I hope it goes well with your gp on friday.

I had the slightly disconcerting experience of having two medical students taking my appointment (supervised and assisted by my gp), which was a bit intimidating. However, they were very helpful. I have started the antidepressants they gave me today, but more helpfully they are also referring me for talking therapy, which I think will be more useful in my case.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Venlafaxine is great, I'm a 225 mg/day man myself.

So many things happened at once in 2008 that I was nearly done. CBT is great, I'm much better now.

Unemployment has been an irritant (though not the only one). When I was rejected from a government department hiring plan for failing a test portion I thought I did well on, I fought back. For once, I was able to fight back under the law.

That department picked the wrong candidate to mess with.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My fiancée is suffering from depression, and I've been feeling a bit low, myself. Mainly because I wish I could help her more than I've been able to. But I have my own problems that seem rather larger than I suppose they really are, and that contributes.

I will pray for all of you on this thread. I can't offer more than that, since I'm not a doctor. Blessings upon you all.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
for those who've had their illness cause them to be dysfunctional in life - how the hell do you explain it to people? I'm in this shitty situation where I have a meeting coming up where I'll be chewed out but good for the stupid behavior that is caused by the anxiety. I don't know how to say, essentially, "yes, I've behaved like a dysfunctional child; and yes, I'd be angry if I were you, too. But so you know, there's this problem..."

I don't want to either sound like I'm asking for special favors (too damn late for that) and giving excuses, or sound like I'm somehow incapable of functioning outside of a loony bin. At the same time, I'd like them to understand that none of my screw ups were some intentional disregard for them or that I was trying to screw them over. I'm only just coming to terms with this being a wiring issue more than a character flaw, myself. And GAD isn't really even a known entity around here. Do I say it's like I have a phobia of everything?

and yet, I'm golden on stage. that goes against me. people think that since I don't have stage fright then I must be SO BRAVE and nothing frightens me. but it's so untrue. I'm frightened of damn near everything. just not performing. give me a script and let me be SOMEONE ELSE and I can do it all day long. I could play anywhere. performance, no problem. Calling a bill collector? sends me into a full-on adrenalin pumping fit and I'm hiding in my house and not answering the phone for days.

I'm a mess. and I just don't know how to do this. It's like the alcoholic thing - I need to own up to my mistakes. At the same time, letting them yell at me and hate on me is going to send me right into my little hole of hell.

Anyone have advice on how to explain the depression/anxiety/mania thing to those you've wronged?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Write down what you want to say - do a script so that you can refer to it and come back to it if they divert you from it. You are going there to perform and that is something you're good at, so perform for them.

You could try kicking off the meeting by saying "before you start your bit can I just say this..." and then launch into the script. It is what I have to do to survive lots of stuff - I have a brief meeting with a bureaucrat later this morning and I already have butterflies even though I know he won't say anything difficult!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Write down what you want to say - do a script so that you can refer to it and come back to it if they divert you from it. You are going there to perform and that is something you're good at, so perform for them.

This is excellent advice. My daughter is quite shy, but she has had stage experience and knows about character development. When she has to go to a job interview or do a presentation, she figures out what kind of character she wants to project and works on developing it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Well then. Not having a good week. My problem is that I find friendships very difficult to keep going when depressed - well, I find friendships a scary thing at the best of times, thanks to ASD. But when I'm depressed it does seem very unfair that the time when I really need friends is the time when I can't help but push them away.

--------------------

Elemental
Apprentice
# 17407

- Posted      Profile for Elemental   Email Elemental   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My problem is that I find friendships very difficult to keep going when depressed ... it does seem very unfair that the time when I really need friends is the time when I can't help but push them away.

I wish I could offer advice on this to add to the excellent advice above, but I can certainly empathise, because I do exactly the same thing.

Friends don't understand why I don't turn to them when I need them, and frankly neither do I that clearly. All I know is that I do shut down, and my good friends have repeatedly proved themselves by being there when I can bring myself to contact them again, or occasionally just barging in because they know I need them most when I'm silent.

Blessings and be gentle on yourself.

--------------------
If anything is sacred, everything is

Posts: 16 | From: On the water | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have learnt to live with 'the Black Dog', as Winston Churchill described his own depression. I think being open with people and warning them that I will have bad days has been my best stratagy.
Anyone who can not cope with it (i.e., my admission that I am a depressive) is not worth bothering with.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do people think of the animation in this blog post about the Black Dog?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say I had an appointment a few weeks ago with university support services for my mental health issues. It did really freak me out at the time, but the assessor was really helpful and a support plan has now been put in place. I have agreed to my tutors being informed and if i ask for it can have extensions on coursework etc.

As for friends, those ones that really help can't be pushed away. Yes i've tried very hard but like an alien they keep siiting there.

Best wishes for your assessment, hopefully you'll find it helpful

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

I think that for a four minute effort it is pretty good - yes, I have no doubt it could be criticised and probably improved but I liked it and, to use an old Quakerism, it spoke to my condition.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the video would be useful to show those irritating sort of people who make stupid comments about depression. I always find it hard when people use the term when they are feeling a bit down, then assume it's how you feel too.

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was struck by how the clip talked about the fear of being 'found out'. That fear has haunted me for so long. I never thought it might be part of my depression.

The bit that made me cry was the bit about being 'authentic' with those around you. This is something I find very hard as some of those near me feel the black dog is a reflection of a failure on their part that they can't bear to acknowledge. Yet. Maybe one day. Coz it's not their fault is it? It's no-one's fault.

Jade C, when you have some bucks, and if reading helps you, I'd recommend this book: I'm not supposed to feel like this.

There's an associated website too. The approach is based on CBT, teaches you simple techniques to analyse your thoughts and challenge them, all from a Christian perspective.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I got up to pee in the night and when I went back to bed there was the Black Dog sitting there - he settled down beside me and gave me a big hug.

I have known for a couple of weeks that he was lurking and the conditions were right for him - I hope I have sent him on his way but the conditions remain the same.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I sent the book to a friend to explain why my communication had been so infrequent.
I haven't been able to get the animation to play, yet.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the book which a former shipmate sent me. It is good and in light of recent family events here I may show it to DIL who seems to be resisting the thought that she too may have such a pet. Son definitely does and may need reminding about the book..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I have known for a couple of weeks that he was lurking and the conditions were right for him - I hope I have sent him on his way but the conditions remain the same.

[Votive]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
deusluxmea
Apprentice
# 15765

- Posted      Profile for deusluxmea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had bad luck with therapists. Just had a third session with someone who advertised as a social work specializing in CBT. Instead, she's been dishing out new age nonsense about herbs, chakras and shamanism. Oh, and thanks for dismissing my feelings and for telling me all about your political opinions. Real f**king helpful. [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deusluxmea:
Had bad luck with therapists. Just had a third session with someone who advertised as a social work specializing in CBT. Instead, she's been dishing out new age nonsense about herbs, chakras and shamanism. Oh, and thanks for dismissing my feelings and for telling me all about your political opinions. Real f**king helpful. [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

Stop seeing this person- spend time with friends who will allow you to talk and cry, and try doing something you really enjoy (under normal circumstances) every day.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPK:
quote:

So many things happened at once in 2008 that I was nearly done. CBT is great, I'm much better now.

To state the obvious, we are all different. Venlafaxine is helping me, now I'm on a higher dosage, but I've spent much of this last year working with CBT and it drove me crazy - I left every session feeling worse than when I went in. (And because it is the main approach in my area I'm having a very long wait to see one of the few people around who is qualified in something different. I hope that ends soon, and that whoever I finally see is useful - I am so tired of living with fear.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Just had my dose increased to 150mg a day and the side effects are kicking my butt. Oof.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have SAD which tends to kick in as the days get shorter. Need to be really vigilant not to feed it.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, Thank you for the link to that animation. I have that book although I'n not sure I could locate it easily now.

I sent it on to son who has read the book. He's bipolar and hates medication with a passion. However, DIL has told him to leave because she cant' cope any longer. There is obviously a lot more to things that I can't say.

However he is now back on the only tablets which have ever helped and is seeing a psychologist. He told me tonight that , while he is desperate for their relationship to work, that it was the video which made him make up his mind to seek help again.

[ 09. November 2012, 08:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not a lot. The message is good – the words are useful and helpful, but the cartoon makes the Black Dog actually look quite cute and like something you wouldn't mind having around. Especially at the end when he's sitting in the palm of the narrator’s hand and he just looks rather sweet.

But I suppose a version with a harder and more malicious creature might not work. Personally, I don't think the Black Dog is a particularly good analogy. A spider might be more like it: something that spins its web in dark corners unnoticed at first, can paralyse its victims and suck their energies away, and scuttles if you shine bright light on it. The Dementors are a good analogy too.

Exspecto patronum everyone! May there be light in your darkness, and hope and joy come to you. [Votive]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
I have SAD which tends to kick in as the days get shorter. Need to be really vigilant not to feed it.

I do too - and now November is here I'm really feeling it again. I find my light box really helps, but have to remember to use it - part of SAD's effect on me is that I ignore what is good for me.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Personally, I don't think the Black Dog is a particularly good analogy. A spider might be more like it: something that spins its web in dark corners unnoticed at first, can paralyse its victims and suck their energies away, and scuttles if you shine bright light on it. The Dementors are a good analogy too.

I've never found the Black Dog a good analogy. I'd love a black dog! Ideally a pug or a poddle. [Big Grin]

I think the illustrations in Shaun Tan's 'The Red Tree' are good visual metaphors. I often picture depression as being inside the bottle, alone on the beach.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
SPK:
quote:

To state the obvious, we are all different. Venlafaxine is helping me, now I'm on a higher dosage, but I've spent much of this last year working with CBT and it drove me crazy - I left every session feeling worse than when I went in. (And because it is the main approach in my area I'm having a very long wait to see one of the few people around who is qualified in something different. I hope that ends soon, and that whoever I finally see is useful - I am so tired of living with fear.)
I would often feel worse after a therapy session. I think this is a noted effect, as the session stirs stuff up which you would otherwise be firmly sitting on so you can get through the day.

I think the reason CBT is so prevelant is that people who have been treated with it relapse less frequently and less dramatically than those treated with other therapies. However, that's the statistical reason, which means jack if you can't get CBT to work.

[ 09. November 2012, 17:31: Message edited by: Mad Cat ]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:

I had mild SAD when I lived in New Hampshire. I came across the idea that it helps to spend forty-five minutes outdoors when the sun is at its highest. Even on a cloudy day, this helped me.

As I said, my SAD was quite mild.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I actually think the analogy is good. The cute little puppy looks sweet, but before you know it, he's taken over your life by wriggling in through the cracks.

If you do a search on black dog, there are many interesting tales, possibly folk lore, possibly with a base. Down here there's an institute for study of depression. The Black Dog Institute.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beyond blue and black dog are both very good sites (Australian). So is seeing your Doc. And so is telling a friend or family member or minister.

Psychology has a role, but the value of each modality depends on the person. Many psychologists can change tack if you talk to them about what works and doesn't for you.

And prayers for all who are suffering- and a plea to not suffer in silence.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had a "how's winter going so far" meeting with my counselor/nurse and she informally prescribed bling, which I am very happy with. The theory is that twinkling light provides retinal stimulation which improves the mood. Apparently in places with snow & sunshine there isn't SAD. I asked if she could prescribe winter in a sunny ski resort or in the Caribbean, but will instead be hunting for all the reflective/sparkly things that I tidied away in the summer.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Beyond blue and black dog are both very good sites (Australian). So is seeing your Doc. And so is telling a friend or family member or minister.

Son has had one meeting with psychologist so far and was impressd with her. Has also started on antidepressant tablets. Phone line was dreadful when he told me, so I don't know which one. About 12 years ago when he was seeing a psychiatrist, the two of them did not suit each other. Son stopped tablets and visits. A stable family life (and some other stuff) kept him fairly steady till the blow up from partner last week.

However, he's happy with interaction between GP and psychologist and happy with the tablets so far, so I hope they work for him. It was the animated version of I have a black dog which really hit home to him that he needed to resume treatment.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get short, sharp episodes of depression. It doesn't last long (a few days; only 4 days last time), and as a family we cover it up well, so most people around me don't know, or at least don't know the specifics. I have months in between episodes.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the aftermath. While I'm depressed it's as if my brain is a radio which has been knocked off-channel so that there's a lot of crackle. Then some of my brain is occupied just trying to hear through the crackle, so I don't have as much brain left to do stuff as I need. I still function but in a wading-through-treacle type of way. Then one day I wake up and the crackle has gone. I'm completely fine again.

Except that I'm not fine. I have disrupted sleep patterns when I'm depressed, so when I come out of it I'm physically tired. Plus I eat far, far too much when I'm down, and sometimes odd combinations, so I often feel queasy. And I always gain weight, up to 7lbs over just a few days, so I know I'm facing at least a month of sensible eating to bring that back down. Any deadline which was comfortably at least a week away beforehand is suddenly a looming crisis. And I'll have done something careless, like let a pan boil dry, or spilt something down a favourite top, so dealing with the burnt pan, or the stain gets added to my to-do list. It's just a lot of little things.

I need suggestions for the crap week-to-ten days which follow a depressive episode, during which time I'm not remotely clinically depressed, just very, very pissed off.

(Obviously, I'd like not to have the depressive episodes at all, but that seems like a lost cause.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016