homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought the bed!
Having discussed with my other half (I'm in a long distance relationship) I decided to go for a proper double bed instead of the Captain's Bed, which will give both of us more room. So I was going to walk out to the edge of town big store to see what they had, when I noticed a sign pointing to a local firm's warehouse much closer to the centre of town.
I saw the bed I was looking for almost as I walked through the door. The sales lady was lovely, and I now have a bed frame and mattress coming on Friday, and they'll take away the old bed - and it was all so easy!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Eigon, and hope you are having sweet dreams.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new bed is, indeed, marvellous - and now I have space under it to store things, I have been having a massive clear out and move around of stuff.
In particular, I decided that I would never actually use the four bin bags full of material that I have been hoarding over the past ten years to do patchwork, so that's going down to the local Oxfam, where they like to offer material for patchwork.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other Half is having a massive clearout of his home office. We're up to 12 bin bags full of junk and he hasn't finished yet...

Not counting all the stuff that can be given away to the next jumble sale or passed on to friends!

Now all I have to do is persuade him to declutter the rest of the house [Yipee]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 2 bags of clothes OUT to the charity shop, making space for 2 new items IN. But a pile of magazines arrived IN from a neighbour - eventually faces will be cut out and stored for kids crafts, but first they simply must be read in case there is a key article.... maybe on decluttering [Razz]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on getting rid of the patchwork fabrics Eigon. It is as hard to get rid of that sort of thing as it is to get rid of books imo.

And congratulations to daisydaisy on getting rid of the clothes.

I have been mia recently. Decluttering of a sad and macabre nature, clearing Dad's room in his nursing home following his death. I was very grateful that other family members took on organising this.

Another resident's daughter said that she would have to do this soon, but also has her relative's house to clear. Such a difficult process. [Votive]

In due course I will be decluttering all his paperwork. I had a look at the files and I could probably get rid of a lot immediately or could have let it go a long time ago. But I felt I should keep it all as a record of how we administered his affairs should anyone ever ask. It will go once the estate is dealt with and all is finally over.

The funeral is next week. Another sort of decluttering. I take refuge in this type of dark 'humour' so do not be offended.
[Hot and Hormonal] [Tear]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Thyme

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] indeed, for literal and emotional de-cluttering.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] a hard time indeed - be careful not to be too drastic though, as I was with my mother's paperwork when I got rid of some letters from my father that I realise now that I would have treasured - thankfully I did read them first.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

The house is fast filling up with Christmas clutter.

Over on the English thread we are talking about cleaning windows and how people who have eye surgery often remark how their furnishings need cleaning now they can see properly!

I suppose the advice to clean things according to a routine and calendar whether they appear to be dirty or not and not waiting till they 'get dirty' is the solution to this and much else.

I think I will make an effort with this after Christmas.

We are hoping to move into a very new house and get it all redecorated and carpeted immediately. Plus some new furniture. All the manky old stuff went to the tip during the move. So no excuses to keep it looking clean.

[ 10. December 2013, 18:36: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I'm sure I decluttered the herbs and spices a few months ago before the move.

So how have I got a packet of spice with a use by date of 2011????? [Confused]

How does this happen?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to declutter the breakfast bar before Christmas. At present there's a sea of stuff on it that has to be pushed aside if I'm serving up a meal. [Frown]

The small spare room is also full of stuff that needs sorting.

[Confused]

Nen - deeply discouraged about it all.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I need to declutter the breakfast bar before Christmas.

15 minutes a day - go for it!!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

How does this happen?

Make sure you lock all the doors at night, I think they sneak in during the night.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

How does this happen?

Make sure you lock all the doors at night, I think they sneak in during the night.
I think the cat brings them in to season it's prey.

I visited someone else's house yesterday that was so uncluttered I think I'll move in (uninvited),

Huia - feeling jealous, and messy

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
[QUOTE]

I visited someone else's house yesterday that was so uncluttered I think I'll move in (uninvited),

Huia - feeling jealous, and messy

Someone whose house is messy beyond belief (at least to me) came round to collect something from our place yesterday. I'd just finished the cleaning (and the pre-cleaning tidying-up) and it did look lovely.

He looked round and said 'ah, a house without small children - what life can be like!' I'm very fond of him, so I refrained from pointing out that even when we had small children it would have driven me crazy to live in a house like his...

Mrs. S, smug - just don't look in the little back bedroom, aka Santa's Grotto! [Help]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lost it yesterday. We were given a lovely Caithness glass bowl as a wedding present, 25 years ago, which has been in daily use as a fruit bowl, and yesterday it cracked right across, but didn't actually break. I was trying to decide whether it should go in the bin, or the glass recycling box, and my family told me I couldn't get rid of it because it was "sentimental" I pointed out that it was about to break into two potentially lethally sharp bits, but the solution apparently was to put it somewhere just to sit there gathering dust, and not use it, touch it, dust it or interact with it in any way.

I have disposed of it. I can't understand why my family are so reluctant to get rid of broken stuff. Our home would be so much nicer if we didn't hang on to broken stuff.

I feel a steely resolve descend - I WILL declutter this house.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And possibly the first thing I will declutter will be teenage son, who yesterday told me I couldn't get rid of the cracked bowl.

Today I asked if he'd like to take the "Coke" glasses back to Uni with him tomorrow, as he is the only Coke drinker and he's mostly not here. And he said he'd rather not, as he has no space, and one of the things he enjoys about living in his flat at University is the lack of clutter. Apparently he doesn't want his Uni flat to end up looking like home.

[Mad]

He is lucky not to have been decluttered and buried six feet down in the back garden.

[Mad]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear you. The number of things lurking in cupboards in our house against the day when my husband is going to superglue them back together..
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have a collection of broken kettles etc in our garden shed, which my husband plans to cannabalise into a robot.

The original plan was to enter "Robot Wars." You'd have thought that the fact that that series ended in 2004 might have put a dampener on the plan, but no.

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're still hanging on to a tome entitled 'Secrets of Windows '95'. For when that comes back again.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
We're still hanging on to a tome entitled 'Secrets of Windows '95'. For when that comes back again.

In the year 2095?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just tidied [AND DUSTED!] half of the desk in my bedroom - I may do the rest later, when I recover a bit!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Windows 95 seems like a bad dream now, doesn't it?

Anyway, the decluttering and dusting of the desk in the bedroom is completed and the bedside cabinets are also decluttered and dusted!

I am rather chuffed with my little self.

A month or two ago I bought a dusting glove thingy that you wet then wring out and wear to wipe over the surfaces and then just rinse and the dust fals out - I think it is made of polypropylene but am not sure - it certainly seems to work.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazon is still helping and it Is a financial incentive. But we've rather stalled.

Or had.
Until Christmas arrangements broke down and we've got twelve altogether staying here for Christmas. A this is a small house.

Unless i am to sleep children and grandchildren in a shed, we will Have to declutter, on a very large scale and within two days.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am beginning to think there is something wrong with me - we watched Britain's Craziest Christmas Lights last night, it was on Channel 5 and showed 5 or so families who regularly plastered their houses with Christmas lights (narrated by Noddy Holder, yet).

Watching one of them, living in quite a small house stuffed to the rafters with boxes of lights, and with ex-Blackpool Illumination lights stored on the landing, I felt VERY uncomfortable indeed (not to mention concerned about the fire risks!). How do they LIVE like that, all year round? [Eek!]

Is it just me? [Confused]

Mrs. S, still very uncomfortable

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The great Shrew move is in progress. Mr Shrew gets nervous about big changes so we have kept our rented place another month, and are moving a bit at a time (except essentials which all moved last weekend with us). I'm trying to take the opportunity to do a fairly ruthless declutter. having some success with things which are obviously junk, although kitchen utensils are still to go, and they are my nemesis. It's easier to do when you have to decide to move it into your home though
Nothing more will happen till Christmas though, as we are luckily going away for Christmas.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I have started at my back door and intend to work my way systematically through the whole house. I've decluttered 3 cupboards, 1 drawer and a small piece of work surface so far, resulting in a small amount binned and a box heading for the charity shop.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I have started at my back door and intend to work my way systematically through the whole house. I've decluttered 3 cupboards, 1 drawer and a small piece of work surface so far, resulting in a small amount binned and a box heading for the charity shop.

[Overused]

One of the hardest things is knowing where to start. And wherever you do start it feels as though anywhere else would be so much easier. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - whose breakfast bar is actually looking quite good.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decluttering at work today. I've got several square feet of open desk space that weren't there when I started this morning. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It turns out we have "sentimental" salt. No, I can't pass our second salt-grinder onto son-at-uni because it has "sentimental" salt in it. The second salt-grinder hasn't been used once in the past two years, and is unlikely to be used at any point in the next two, or even possibly ever, but we have to keep it.

[brick wall]

(The salt came from a salt mine in Poland which we visited, hence the reason for it being "sentimental.")

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

How unfortunate if it were to come in contact with some deeply cynical water.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you decant the salt, perhaps putting it in a sealed urn on your mantelpiece? [Biased]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Perhaps it should be used in cooking the family meals thus becoming one eternally with the family body who will truly be one body and the salt of earth.

Or something.

You might have to bury the container and put a little memorial stone on the plot.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The salt cellar/grinder we actually use matches the pepper mill we actually use, so I can't give that one to son-at-uni. We really, really don't need two salt cellar/grinder things (are they called "salt mills"?) Son-at-uni doesn't have a salt grinder and might actually use it. But it's "sentimental" so he can't have it, apparently.

We did drop off a small boxful of stuff to the charity shop today, though. There is hope.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
quote:
Next up - some video tapes. I never watch them. We still have a video recorder but my DH says it doesn't work with the new TV. I haven't been able to persuade him to dump the recorder.
This is a bugbear in the NE household. Our video started to go a bit funny about 3 years ago. So the North East Man decided that we'd stop using it to watch videos, and would use it solely to transfer our videos onto DVD. When he had the time. Except that he hasn't had the time at any point in the intervening 3 years. So we have a bookcase full of videos which we haven't watched in 3 years, but which have to stay because I'm the only one who is happy to bin them (local charity shops are no longer accepting videos). And we have a teetering pile of DVDs next to the TV, which can't get put away, because the shelves are full of redundant videos....

As I'm the one who dusts and hoovers round the stuff, I'm the one who's most inconvenienced, but, alas, this doesn't give me extra voting rights on what should happen. Sigh.

I posted this on 2 March. I have managed to reduce the number of videos by stealth since then. However, it turned out the North East Man wasn't as oblivious to my annoyance as I thought. He heard that someone else was chucking out a broken video player and claimed it, on the basis that if he ever got round to fixing our broken video player it would be handy to have spare parts. So we now have fewer videos, but an extra broken video player.

[brick wall]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decluttered the porch yesterday and completely cleared the patio = Hurrah!!

[Yipee]

[ 21. December 2013, 12:29: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I was chuckling over North East Quine's video recorder collection when my new Dyson vacuum cleaner arrived.

Now the old Dyson was inherited from a parent in 2006 and quite old but I bought it a lot of extra accessories. It had an accident recently after a plumbing disaster and thought it was a wet cleaner. While waiting to see if it would dry out and recover without electrocuting me I had to buy a new cleaner, (on sale in the nearest supermarket, not a Dyson) to complete the cleaning which couldn't wait.

Well, this new cleaner was wonderful, so light and manoeuvrable. The old Dyson was very efficient but heavy and hard to steer. Really I never liked it and hated getting it out.

So I thought I would get rid of it when I had time to think about it.

Meanwhile Dyson brought out a new small, lightweight, highly manouverable model, delivered today. I also bought extra accessories which were on offer with the machine. [Roll Eyes]

So I have had a little play with the new Dyson and it is very, very nice. And thinking about how to dispose of the old one. Not too keen on freecycling it because of the water accident.

Did I mention I also have a Dyson handheld cordless, with accessories? [Big Grin]

And I found myself wondering if all the various accessories would fit the new machine. And if not maybe I should keep the big old Dyson for cleaning the car interior with the special car accessories? Or other jobs.

I caught myself just in time. If I did that I would have no less than four vacuum cleaners.

Also I rarely vacuum the car as I take it to the hand wash and valet car place every so often, as I hate cleaning the car and tell myself I am helping poor immigrants and refugees and redistributing wealth if I pay them to do it.

Owning expensive Dyson accessories did not, I discovered, motivate me to clean it more often. Neither have I ever used them for other jobs.

So the big old Dyson is in the garage and will go to the tip before Christmas. That was narrow escape on the slippery slope to hoarding vacuum cleaners.

I will keep the accessories though till I have time to try and fit them on the remaining machines.

Yes, I am keeping the brand new machine that was temporary fix when I hoovered up a small pond with the old Dyson, and I have the brand new Dyson and the handheld Dyson. I am keeping all these. Ad all the accessories that still fit - when I get round to it.

I am feeling a bit more empathy with people who end up with loads of old broken gadgets they never use. It can happen to anyone given the right circumstances and gadgets. There but for the grace of God......

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thyme, that post is priceless.

I recognise some of my own behaviour there too, which makes it even funnier,

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have [Axe murder] BobTwo [Axe murder] who is a Roomba. I love him. We also still have Bob the Roomba which died when the North East Man tipped a full mug of coffee over him. Apparently, he might get fixed at some point. Plus an indifferent Dyson. And a hand-held which is officially for the rarely-cleaned car.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
...when the North East Man tipped a full mug of coffee over him. Apparently, he might get fixed at some point.

Seems a bit drastic for one mug of spilled coffee.
[Eek!]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We also have a roomba. Seriously amazing and has vastly improved both how clean and how clear our floors are.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
...when the North East Man tipped a full mug of coffee over him. Apparently, he might get fixed at some point.

Seems a bit drastic for one mug of spilled coffee.
[Eek!]

[Two face]

Does your Roomba have a name, Mrs Shrew? I loved my Bob, and now I love my BobTwo.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Housework is a totally unnecesary evil - as Quentin Crisp said "After 4 years the dust doesn't get any worse!" The only purpose I can find for housework is as an avoidance technique when I really should be doing something else.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

His name is Little Roomba, which doesn't sound terribly imaginative but works for us. we do sit and cheer him on when he is cleaning, and I am very attached to him.

Today I am going to tackle my wardrobe - ruthlessness is the only answer. I have quite a few clothes which don't fit properly, but I have recently enough been unable to afford even second hand clothing that I am hoarding them. I Need to accept that even if I do lose weight it is a slow process, and that fighting through things that don't fit or that I don't really like only holds me back.
Nearly all of the things which don't fit are in very good condition, so should raise a good amount for charity shops.

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Video tapes and recorders... sentimental salt... vacuum cleaners... [Killing me] Thank you so much to everyone for these posts which have given me a smile this damp and dreary morning. [Smile]

I am gearing up for a Major Declutter once Christmas is over and I know now where I'm going to start, which helps. [Big Grin] We are trying to clear our spare room so that we can reorganise things to decorate our bedroom - Mr Nen finds it impossible to decorate a room unless it's completely empty of everything. This will involve major reorganisation in every bedroom except for the one Nenlet2 sleeps in. At least, I'm hoping that one is immune. [Eek!]

Interested in the vacuum discussion as ours needs replacing sometime fairly soon. Have not come across a Roomba or a Bob but have heard good reports of Henry.

Nen - whose vacuum cleaners last well on account of the fact they don't get out much. [Biased]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Henry is generally a good one, and they last very well. Roomba is a robot vacuum cleaner - you charge it up (it has a little docking station) then push "clean" and it makes a happy little noise then goes off and cleans until
a). It thinks the room/area is clean
b). It's full (embarrassingly this happened the first time we used it, but since then it hasn't)
c). It runs out of charge (only happens if you use it lots without charging.)
It then attempts to return to dock.
We love ours because it takes all the effort out of vacuuming. Also because it is a robot and Mr Shrew is very excited by robots.

It has a little gizmo to make a virtual wall if you don't want it to go somewhere, otherwise it just goes round anywhere it can get to. It also doesn't fall down stairs..... (we tested thoroughly just in case)

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ours Roomba gets full almost everytime! We have a cockatiel which sprays out seed husks, and so the area round the cockatiel needs hoovered pretty much every day.

I didn't want the cockatiel, on the basis that I would be the one landed with any extra cleaning, but I was over-ruled and - surprise - I ended up with extra cleaning. The robot vacuum was the family solution; it would save me from having to hoover daily, but wouldn't involve any other member of the family in extra work.

I love the Roomba; it makes happy little noises and it hoovers very well. Unfortunately they aren't coffee-proof, so try to avoid pouring a full mug of coffee over them.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who should be replacing the vacuum cleaner. Unsatisfactory state of the carpets aside, I have cleared (most of) the clutter from downstairs and the guest bedroom, and my own bedroom doesn't look too bad - I have enough floor space to do my morning yoga up there. The nut crackers and bottle openers have a place to be, and the Christmas cards are all up. Guests arrive tomorrow [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

The wardrobe is now tidy, and I managed quite a bit of ruthlessness, including a couple of things I was attached to but knew I wouldn't wear again. Feeling quite proud!

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016