homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I have cleared 2 more bags of fabric from the sewing room and might tackle some more later.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Today I have cleared 2 more bags of fabric from the sewing room and might tackle some more later.

Make that 4 bin bags full [Eek!] in my defence, I am clearing out my old home business!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I became so dispirited with the kitchen cupboards yesterday that I wandered into the spare bedroom and rebuilt the shelves that hadn't been finished since I had to move out for post earthquake repairs. This will mean that the decluttering in other areas will become easier as I can sort out books and craft supplies that haven't had a proper home - which in turn will allow me to decluter them, rather than having anonymous mixed stuff in my bedroom [Yipee]

The other thing I remembered was that I had got rid of a bookcase in a dangerous position, but not the books that went on it - so it's no wonder books are everywhere. (Yes, I know it's obvious, but I notice that things that happened then were outside my immediate awareness, but are now coming back).

Maybe the mind declutters of all but the urgent things in an emergency.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
His excuse? After the blow-out of New Year's Eve, there was no use trying on clothes, as all that would fit him would be the muu muu and the judicial robes [Killing me]

And how many of those does he have?
[Biased]

Not enough to wear every day - and he certainly isn't allowed to buy any more! [Two face]

Incidentally I see there's an article on the Daily Telegraph website about decluttering wardrobes, but I'm not going to look at it online as we buy the actual paper on Saturday - or we will when I get my (non-decluttered) wetsuit from the back of my wardrobe and go out to get it!

Mrs. S, nerving herself

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitchen, airing cupboard, bathroom done. Next in my "start at the back door and work round" is our dining "room" which is semi open plan with our hall.

The curtains came with the house, ten years ago, and we've never really liked them, but couldn't agree on a replacement. Yesterday I took them down to wash as step one in the declutter and one tore! Yay! We now have to stop faffing and choose curtains!

Plus, languishing in our dining room was a genuine 1960s bottle lamp, which the North East Man greatly admired when he was six, and saw his uncle making it. He inherited it last year, on the basis that he was the only family member who liked it. (Not only do we treasure up broken junk on account of it being "sentimental" but other people offload their broken junk onto us!!) We've never actually used it, on account of the original 1960s two-pin plug, but I've just ordered a proper converter kit. Only £6, inc p&p.

We are on a roll!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decluttered the bathroom and quite a few other surfaces: the hall chest of drawers where everything gets dumped and all the Christmas stuff into the loft, plus about half the surfaces in my bedroom - procrastination are us - but the cleared surfaces are lovely to look at.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to the abovementioned declutter, I now have in the back of the station wagon to go to the dump for e-cycling one shelf stereo, portable analogue TV and two defunct vacuum cleaners. Along with the obsolete paperwork already mentioned and the four bags of clothing, that's almost a cubic metre of stuff decluttered since New Year's Eve. Just hope we can maintain the momentum.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other Half took four bags of clothes to the recycling after decluttering his wardrobe, but then celebrated by buying himself a toy rollercoaster which is now all over the kitchen table.

I am not sure he's got the hang of this...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to join in here.

I have high hopes (although you could also call it a reasonable expectation) that by the end of 2014 I will have a ring on my finger ( [Yipee] ). That means I will be moving out of my current flatshare and I am not going to be taking all the crap with me that I have accumulated in the last four years since I moved in. I don't want to find myself with all the crap to clear in a panic so I'm going to start clearing / throwing stuff out / giving stuff away.

I'm going at the slow pace of one drawer at a time. I started by clearing out all my make-up and threw out more than I kept [Roll Eyes] (when a product is almost finished, I buy a new one but have a bad habit of not throwing the old one out).

Goodbye, all my crap!!

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets worse before it gets better, it gets worse before it gets better, it gets worse before it gets better ...

[Help]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fine.....then Christmas happens!

Now what???

* Have come to the conclusion that actually throwing stuff out is maybe the only way to go.
* Or i can choose to recycle ( At Once! In the many bins helpfully provided by our councl that are in our garden)
* Or a walk fround to our supermarket's Rack Of Assorted Charity Bins.

If it can't be Got Rid within the day.....it has to go into the car. And once in the car...it can't come back inside again.

Five days in and we're getting there....slowly.
((sigh))

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm decluttering my laptop this morning, as it is slower than a slow thing.

Managed a bit over the weekend - next weekend is when I am aiming to finish house moving so there will be a lot to be done then.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Shrew I started doing that with my desktop -- until I deleted the trash bin symbol. Now I've given up and decided to get the local computer fixit bloke to sort it out.

Huia _ technopeasant*

* with thanks to Pete for the appropriate word.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Shrew

May I suggest that if you want guidance you post on the Ancient Geek thread in heaven, as I am quite sure a number of people there can make suggestions how to go about it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the suggestion, decluttering the laptop went very well and it is much happier and faster now [Yipee]
(as it happens I am pretty handy with a computer, I was just putting it off because it was a horrid and dull job)

I cleaned out the kitchen cupboard today. Small steps are starting to show progress

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Husband wants to declut the bookcases, to get rid of one. Doesn't he realise the only reason for getting rid of books is to make room for more??

--------------------
Less is more ...

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
Husband wants to declut the bookcases, to get rid of one. Doesn't he realise the only reason for getting rid of books is to make room for more??

And the only reason to get rid of a bookcase is to replace it with a larger one.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We switched the positions of two bookcases with that of the sofa this weekend, instantly transforming the shape of the living room and finding space for all the recent birthday-and-christmas books and DVDs. The boardgames are now much less precariously stacked on top of one bookcase but I'm struggling with a few now-displaced bits and bobs, including several years' worth of photographs. Looking through those two shoeboxes of photographs was fun, but I can't see it being a regular activity.

Next I should really tackle the mantelpiece and the radiator shelf, I think that if my 'display surfaces' look cohesive I will feel better about the whole place.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Declut? Sounds vaguely rude - I like it!

That's the first aid cabinet done.

Hurrah! I'd been putting it off for weeks!

[Smile]

[ 08. January 2014, 10:59: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Declut? Sounds vaguely rude - I like it!

That's the first aid cabinet done.

Hurrah! I'd been putting it off for weeks!

[Smile]

Last time I did the first aid cupboard I had to take a carrier bag of medicines to the chemist, some of the bottles had dates from when I was a teenager [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Tomorrow is packing the last things from the old house day, in preparation for moving them on Saturday. I'mllooking forward to the lowered stress and also lowered costs from only having our own house to fret over, no longer the rented one too(staggered move was made necessary but is not easy for me)

I'm very conscious of the need not to move clutter, but there is a danger that I will snap and just shove everything in a box to sort later.

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
I'm very conscious of the need not to move clutter, but there is a danger that I will snap and just shove everything in a box to sort later.

Any time one moves, there's always a last-minute throw-everything-in box. Leave it unopened for a few months -- you probably will realize there's nothing in there you need. Good luck with the move!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I crossed the water to live in Liverpool [Wirral people will understand] I took such a box with me - when I was packing to leave Liverpool I realised that box hadn't been opened all the time I was there so I just dumped it without checking - if I hadn't needed the contents in 8 years then...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I realised that box hadn't been opened all the time I was there so I just dumped it without checking - if I hadn't needed the contents in 8 years then...

When we moved there were some boxes (cardboard) in the roof space, I remember putting them there, at least 20, maybe 25 years ago. I think they had old business stationery and maybe accounts, I don't know. Just got the bloke who cleared the house to take them away and dump them with the rest of the stuff. Felt that the risks of identity theft or similar were very small.

They were all dusty and probably damp and full of spiders so no way was I going into them, quite apart from lack of time.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS, Mrs Shrew, I tried really hard to be organised about the packing, but in the end it got away from me and I had to just throw things into boxes and bin bags.

Good luck.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tomorrow is packing the last things from the old house day, in preparation for moving them on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the lowered stress and also lowered costs from only having our own house to fret over, no longer the rented one too (staggered move was made necessary but is not easy for me)

good luck with all that, Mrs. S!

The Other Mrs. S [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dining room declutter isn't happening. I have realised that what we have in our dining room isn't clutter per se, but non-clutter masquerading as clutter.

I need to rethink storage.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
When I crossed the water to live in Liverpool [Wirral people will understand] I took such a box with me - when I was packing to leave Liverpool I realised that box hadn't been opened all the time I was there so I just dumped it without checking - if I hadn't needed the contents in 8 years then...

I know someone who lost her birth certificate and passport that way, so be Careful!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have just returned to live in Australia after years in Fiji.

The house in Australia to which we are returning is now completely uncluttered , as in our absence it was rented out as 'unfurnished', and the tenants have left it clean but empty.

But I fear it will not remain that way for long, as we have had a fair amount of furniture, books and other goods stored in a removalist's warehouse for the past 7 years, and they will be delivered next week. Some of it will leave us wondering 'why did we bother keeping this?', but I bet my husband ( a mild hoarder) won't want to discard any of it.

And then next month we expect to receive the stuff (mostly books - so not really 'clutter' ) that we shipped back from Fiji. And of course,we will need a fridge, washing mc, sheets, etc, as our old ones were given away to our children who were setting up house at the time. Fortunately [!?] such items are on sale in post-Christmas sales, so restocking should not be too expensive. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

[ 11. January 2014, 09:13: Message edited by: Marama ]

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
we will need a fridge, washing mc, sheets,
Have sent you PM which may be very useful or not at all depending on your destination.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marama:
...I bet my husband ( a mild hoarder) won't want to discard any of it ...

Can you discard some of it when he's not looking, with the excuse that if he could do without it for seven years, he has no need of it?

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

The moving is going better than expected.

Now we unpacking kitchen stuff. I need to declutter a lot of tins and packets. Soup and custard for the next month, I think.....

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

One step forward, two steps back. In order to sort my dining room, I need to create some storage space elsewhere.

This may involve (gulp) decluttering the landing cupboard.....

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Soup and custard for the next month, I think.....

Presumably not in the same bowl ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
One step forward, two steps back. In order to sort my dining room, I need to create some storage space elsewhere.

This may involve (gulp) decluttering the landing cupboard.....

If you empty the cupboard into the dining room...

Sorry, I'll leave well alone.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I got a real boost with my decluttering. I was having coffee with a friend on Friday and saying how overwhelmed I felt. The upshot is that next Friday he is coming to pick up all the books I have ready and take them to a charity second hand bookshop that is on the other side of town. Not having a car that would have been difficult for me to arrange.

Because I had a deadline I sorted the books by Sunday and am now concentrating on my scary bedroom. My aim is to be able to see the floor by Wednesday - I know it's there somewhere!

It's amazing how the support of has given me such a boost. Some friends are worth their weight in gold.

Huia

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the end of a relationship in 2011, most of my books have lived on my back porch. We painted it last week, which meant they were excavated. As they returned to the porch, it's been a sorting opportunity - 4 boxes gone!!

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been decluttering for some time now - years!

So my clutter tends to be recent these days. Leave any room for a week and it'll be in a dreadful state.

So today's decluttering is my camera cupboard. Why do I just shove things back in - then it's in a mess in no time??

I have trained myself with some cupboards and drawers that each thing has a place and nothing else is to be shoved in there.

S l o w process, but I'll get there one fine day. When that happens I will wave several flags and sign off this thread for good (Give me about five years ... )

[ 13. January 2014, 10:57: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Large space decluttered by the removal of an old black and white TV from the landing cupboard.

Me: "Why are we keeping this? It doesn't work."
Daughter "It does work!"
Me "Really? We can watch TV on this?"
Dau "Well, we could if the government would just switch the analogue signal back on."
[brick wall]

Husband then suggested we convert it into a
goldfish bowl.

[brick wall]

I have over-ruled them. It is going to the municipal tip's electrical section.

I can't believe we were storing a black and white TV on the offchance that the analogue signal would make a come-back. [Disappointed]

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Large space decluttered by the removal of an old black and white TV from the landing cupboard.

Me: "Why are we keeping this? It doesn't work."
Daughter "It does work!"
Me "Really? We can watch TV on this?"
Dau "Well, we could if the government would just switch the analogue signal back on."
[brick wall]

goldfish bowl.

[brick wall]

I have over-ruled them. It is going to the municipal tip's electrical section.

I can't believe we were storing a black and white TV on the offchance that the analogue signal would make a come-back. [Disappointed]

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, deeply impressed [Overused]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
goldfish bowl.

I thought it sounded like a cool idea until it said you needed a circular saw.

[ 14. January 2014, 09:03: Message edited by: ecumaniac ]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half a shelf cleared,
Paper recycling bin full,
Four empty files that have been recovered,
Happy Ms Alba
[Smile]

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
At this point, my daughter claims that they are "sentimental" and we can't get rid of them.

In that case perhaps she could find room for them in her bedroom cupboards?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying. Truly. I spend some time most days working down the pile of paperwork on the breakfast bar, filing and discarding as appropriate. But the pile never seems to get any smaller and there are similar piles all over the house.

Nen - [Waterworks]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

- Posted      Profile for Hebdom   Email Hebdom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this household, 2014 has been declared The Year of the Great Declutter!

Am overjoyed to find that this gardening technique will allow me to get rid of the old cardboard boxes and bags of slashed grass that have been cluttering the back yard. Have previously been drip feeding them into assorted recycling bins.

The only problem is that it is too hot to go outside, let alone do any gardening.... [Mad]

Posts: 163 | From: Terra australis | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm trying. Truly. I spend some time most days working down the pile of paperwork on the breakfast bar, filing and discarding as appropriate. But the pile never seems to get any smaller and there are similar piles all over the house.

Nen - [Waterworks]

It's the same in my home too - just as I rediscover the surface of a table or worktop, clutter appears as if from nowhere. Same with emails - just as I clear the inbox so it only takes up one page, more appear that need dealing with.
BUT I have one room of sanity - I am managing to keep it free of clutter, if I disregard in-flight craft projects.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I've noticed that piles of paper and miscellaneous stuff are starting to appear. There are reasons:

Moving house, living temporarily in a rental with a lot of stuff in boxes in the garage.

Dealing with Dad's estate and all the death related admin.

Christmas.

I keep losing things and forgetting things. Everything takes so long because I don't know where things are.

All my routines have disappeared. I don't know where things live. The kitchen is fairly organised but other things aren't.

It has all made me realise how much I need order and routine in my life and how bad I feel when these are missing.

ETA hit send by mistake. [Disappointed]

I don't feel like trying to get re-organised here because we hope to be moving soon. Just doing the minimum. But the little heaps depress me every time I look at them.

[ 15. January 2014, 09:21: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've felt my spirits lift since decluttering the kitchen / airing cupboard / bathroom.

I'm trying to work out what to do with our dining room. Specifically, today, the brass log-box. We bought it because we had a fire in our old house and we used it to store logs / coal.

Now it's in our dining room, and we keep our cockatiel stuff in it; sandsheets / perch covers / food etc.

The dining room would look much better without a random log-box full of cockatiel stuff. But we do need to store the cockatiel stuff somewhere.

Originally posted by ecumaniac:

quote:
Her cupboards are already full to overflowing. She has stuff stacked on her floor because her cupboards are full. Her bedroom is potentially lovely, but spoiled by being full of stuff.
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:

Originally posted by ecumaniac:

quote:
Her cupboards are already full to overflowing. She has stuff stacked on her floor because her cupboards are full. Her bedroom is potentially lovely, but spoiled by being full of stuff.
Then your point is illustrated. Time to put the foot down, perhaps?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I'm trying to work out what to do with our dining room ...

Eat in it? [Devil]

I'll get my coat ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016