homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
daisydaisy:
quote:
It's the same in my home too - just as I rediscover the surface of a table or worktop, clutter appears as if from nowhere.
That happens here too. After heroic efforts to declutter, there is a brief halcyon period (usually about five minutes) when the house looks like something out of Ideal Home magazine.

Then someone comes along and starts recluttering, and we have all the weary work to do again.

However, I did just declutter the hall table, where a pile of unsorted letters has been leering at me for about a week. Fortunately there wasn't anything urgent in it.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I discovered a dinner service I'd forgotten I had, lurking in the back of a cupboard. That started off a chain reaction of decluttering so I now have plenty of bits to take to the charity shop, although strangely nothing actually looks that decluttered.
It helped me to realise that my drinks cupboard is rather full - that could be a rather fun area to declutter [Big Grin]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
It helped me to realise that my drinks cupboard is rather full - that could be a rather fun area to declutter [Big Grin]

Can we all come and help? [Overused]

Before her death, The Intrepid MiL S was forever trying to declutter her drinks cabinet - she'd say 'I've had this brandy for years, I'm sure it's gone off' and we'd have to reassure her that no, they use brandy to PRESERVE things, it'll be just fine.

Mrs. S, no such issues at Intrepid Towers [Biased]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... my drinks cupboard is rather full - that could be a rather fun area to declutter

When we moved to Canada we discovered that you weren't supposed to take bottles of spirits into the country. At the time our drinks cupboard was full of all sorts of things*, and we gave it all (except an unopened bottle of Highland Park which we took with us, secreted in a sock) to a couple of friends who said they'd be delighted to help us avoid breaking the law in our adopted country. [Devil]

* IIRC mostly bribes from the parents of choristers who had wanted their little darlings to be made Head Chorister [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nen - [Waterworks] It's the same in my home too - just as I rediscover the surface of a table or worktop, clutter appears as if from nowhere. Same with emails - just as I clear the inbox so it only takes up one page, more appear that need dealing with.

In our house, clutter keeps arriving from The Intrepid-Miss-S-as-was and SiL, whose house was not large enough to contain their existing possessions as well as all their lovely wedding presents. So, they send us Stuff - like sheets, towels, crockery - to go to a local charity.

Imagine how sad it is for us to realise that the kettle they are getting rid of is better than ours? [Eek!] and that we can't resist a John Lewis reindeer mug, or indeed various other of their discarded mugs? In consequence I am having to declutter our mug cupboard, which is always exactly full, and move some of Mr. S's mugs to another cupboard so he forgets them before they are finally decluttered to the dustbin [Devil]

The Underhanded Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's amazing how decluttering begets clutter. I decluttered 3 big boxes of schoolbooks and such (around 20 years old) and just wound up filling the place they were with 3 boxes of detritus - waiting for a declutter of their own.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
In our house, clutter keeps arriving from The Intrepid-Miss-S-as-was and SiL, whose house was not large enough to contain their existing possessions as well as all their lovely wedding presents. So, they send us Stuff - like sheets, towels, crockery - to go to a local charity.

Imagine how sad it is for us to realise that the kettle they are getting rid of is better than ours? [Eek!] and that we can't resist a John Lewis reindeer mug, or indeed various other of their discarded mugs?
The Underhanded Mrs. S

[Killing me]

My dr & sil are decluttering pending a move and I have carefully avoided seeing their pile of rejects just in case I want to give any of it a home!

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can see, so long as you send your used crockery to charity, there is no reason you cannot use your daughter's castoffs, Mrs S.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another car-load of obsolete paperwork and electronics to the recycling depot at the city dump. While my wife had her back turned I finally managed to dispose of teaching resources she had been hoarding, most of which were dated 1963-64.

I've even gained agreement that within the next month, when we have a quiet week, a skip will be rented, and an intensive clearing-out undertaken. Meanwhile, I will continue the carload process, as there are many recyclables still cluttering our storeroom and garage.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
As far as I can see, so long as you send your used crockery to charity, there is no reason you cannot use your daughter's castoffs, Mrs S.

None at all, Pete, and they get all our 'cast-offs' already. I was just a bit horrified that our children were getting rid of stuff that was better than the equivalents we were still quitw cheerfully using.

Mrs. S - is that S for Scrooge? [Eek!]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some successful decluttering here [Yipee] A woman advertised in the supermarket for fabric so she could teach her daughter patchwork. I didn't have much, but then discovered her daughter was also into all kinds of craft, so nanaged to hand on other bits a pieces too.

[ 18. January 2014, 17:31: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just discovered another full box of cleaned out old ice cream tubs saved in case they come in handy....

I think our recycling bin shall be stuffed full this week!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, a weekend of decluttering our understairs cupboard had a rather dramatic end... We'd decided to rip out the horrid old carpet after emptying the cupboard and after doing so I noticed that one of the floorboards looked a bit damp. So I levered it out only to find that the bottom has worm holes in it, with dust on the earth below. Need to get someone in now.

Bollocks.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] You'll know better next time. as will I.

We are currently reassembling our front room after a complete wall semi-demo, repair, skim coat and paint job. Part 2 comes tomorrow when the skim coaters come to do the dining room.

And it all started with a wee rip in the wallpaper.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to declutter my patchwork fabrics, I've had some of them for years and some I have decided I don't like. Does anyone have any experience ebaying fabric? Do I sell the coordinating stuff together or as separate lots?
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I appear to have reoccurring allergy symptoms. I had been desperately hoping it was just a cold, but this morning my eyes itch as well.
Since I haven't had them since we moved at all, I'm now Seized with sudden terror that somewhere in the house is an object we have moved which has mould spores somewhere (old house had a hideous damp and mould problem, but it was in the structure of the house and I was careful to not let any stuff touch walls or floors to avoid this. Clearly not careful enough). I'm now faced with having to clean (in a way that removes mould with no damage) everything Mr Shrew and I own, whilst there are still books left to move.
Mr Shrew hoards magic the gathering game cards, which are the only thing I can think of which were on floors. They are in boxes so hopefully it would not be the cards affected, but the boxes are so heavy to move I don't know how I will manage to sort the cleaning.
I'm feeling like decluttering all my belongings into a skip right now and just trying to start again.

[duplicate of this post deleted - WW]

[ 22. January 2014, 09:35: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

We have cleaned the boxes. Allergies gone. [Yipee]

How is everyone getting along?

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
We have cleaned the boxes. Allergies gone. [Yipee]

How is everyone getting along?

OK thanks.

I have saved my (huge) box of photos to the last.

1. Because it will takes ages as I want to scan my favourites to save in various places, including on the cloud.
2. I know I'll really enjoy it and it'll take ages!

So I now have an incentive to get on with the other stuff!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Ooh that sounds fab Boogie! Digital storage of photos sounds like a great plan, as well as fun to do

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just decluttered 8 assorted mugs with pictures of cats on them and some cat nick-nacks to The Cats' Protection League shop [Yipee]

I have also joined Freecycle and am giving someone 20 large preserving jars. Next listing will be for jam jars.

I have also bundled up about 20 good quality picture books to take to the local Playcentre* when it re-opens after the summer break. (*this is a NZ organisation for pre-schoolers run by the parents. I was a Playcentre kid 57 years ago. Then their slogan then was "play is a child's work".)

I am finding it easier to declutter if I find a recipient for stuff that's reusable.

Huia

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago, I went through a phase of collecting nice small furniture which had been left out for the bin men, on the grounds that it was far too nice to chuck into the back of a bin lorry. So I have four occasional tables, two of them of the nesting variety (the smallest one of the set of three nesters was broken).
Encouraged by the recent removal of my overlarge table and four chairs, I have now shifted round so I have a small table by the front door to put my basket on when I come in, one by the bed for my books and so on, and the nesting tables have gone into the back of the storage area for the next car boot sale in the spring.
It's getting there [Smile]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Christmas before last we were driving up the road from our house and someone had left a little 4-drawer chest outside their house for the bin-men. It didn't look like much (it had probably lived in their garage), but it was exactly the size we wanted for the dining room and all it needed was a clean, a couple of coats of black paint (which I gave it), a bit of internal surgery to make the drawers fit properly and some nice handles.

Now our cutlery has a home. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ski boots now on Preloved. Table being cleared and cleaned so it can be photographed for Preloved. Really need to tackle the dresser so I can photograph that too.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I've sorted all the bins, drawers and cupboards below bench level as well as the 5 small high cupboards in the kitchen which leaves only four containing food, baking ingredients and crockery.

I am now going to have a break from the kitchen and clean up the bathroom so the plumber can fit the new taps I bought [Yipee]

I'm getting good at rewarding myself for the work I'm doing - just as well Mum and Dad's estate came through to allow me to do so, and there's the added bonus of spending money on things they would have approved.

Huia

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Good going, Huia! [Overused]

I have just, very sadly, decluttered my cat after 10 years (she was older than that though we were never sure how much more). A combination of diabetes and dementia led to her demise, and have meant that I have now got rid of all the cat-related detritus, all the towels I used to keep the upholstery clean, the old cushions she used to sleep on...

The only bit of decluttering I would far rather not have done. [Waterworks]

Mrs. S, mourning

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

[Votive] Awwww - not a nice bit of decluttering.

I have found a new owner for the costumes that I made for the medieval banquet that I had to celebrate my 40th a while ago - they are among the ones In this pic. The local am dram are happy to take them [Yipee]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] Sorry about the cat Mrs S.

Mrs Shrew, glad you got the allergy thing sorted. That is a horrible thing to have.

We have exchanged contracts on a new house. I have decluttered a pile of brochures from estate agents relating to all the houses we looked at.

Also managed to do a bit of tidying up of heaps of paperwork, and got rid of some packing materials from a christmas present. I kept it in case I needed to return the item and have only just got round to checking it works.

Still have a pile of papers that need filing. However, most of the files are still in boxes in the garage. So I don't know whether to get these out and do the filing, but then they have to packed up again for the move, or create a special filing box and do it all when we have moved and things have a permanent home.

The latter course means that there is a big risk that I will lose the filing box, forget what is in it, never get round to doing it. Creating a huge procrastination problem for myself.

Now I have written this I think the best thing is to get the files out and do it now.

I think any further major decluttering will have to wait till we move.

[ 26. January 2014, 10:01: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very sorry to hear about the Intrepid Cat, Mrs S. [Frown] We recently decluttered the cupboard where we kept the things related to our small caged animals. Not that we have kept any for a couple of years but it was like an admission that we are not going to have any more, at least for the foreseeable future.

If I clear any space in the house at present Mr Nen fills it with Stuff, so it's a tad discouraging.

Nen - hoping to have more space than stuff one day.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear about your cat, Mrs. S. [Frown]

Nenya - I love the idea of "more space than stuff", although I can't see it happening chez Piglet any time soon.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks everyone [Frown] for your kind words.

The Appreciative Mrs. S.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Sorry to hear about your cat Mrs S. I threatened to decutter mine when she got underfoot as I was coming down fron a ladder, but in reality I would be devasted if she went anytime soon.

Huia

[ 27. January 2014, 19:47: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good for you Golden Key.

I have my bedroom and the spare one to do (including wardrobes and drawers). [Help] But at least the rooms where the heatpump fitters and the plumber will go are sorted [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I'm gradually decluttering a dead dishwasher - I realised that the space it is taking up can be used for storage of things to help in the chain of moving things around so I can remove the huge Welsh dresser - I hope I can find someone who wants that.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

daisydaisy I found an outfit called Freecycle where you post what you have to give away or want. I know it's available in the US, (and New Zealand obviously) but am not sure where else it might be.

It's amazing what some people have considered desirable.

Huia

[ 06. February 2014, 07:45: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most towns in the UK have a Freecycle, I used to offload baby clothes on it.
In our place the rag and bone man visits most weeks and will take old white goods.

[ 06. February 2014, 08:08: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I use freecycle a lot, even for dead printers. But I'm really not sure about the dishwasher - still, someone might like a challenge. Thank you for reminding me - I'll give it a go before I pay the council to remove it.
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am cleaning my office since I am moving to a new position four doors down the corridor. Trying to give as much away to colleagues as possible.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having some new radiators put in this week. The old ones had barely been in the front garden for 5 minutes before they were swooped on and taken away.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Friday is Mr. S's day at the foodbank so I decluttered a load of books, bric-a-brac etc from the garage(including a large box of bottles, but we won't mention those, oh no) and yet another dead computer - well, the case at least - it had already been eviscerated for spare parts.
[Smile]
Next up is two boxes of videotapes, currently quarantined in the garage - when in a couple of months Mr. S hasn't noticed they've moved I figure I can shuffle them quietly off to the tip.
[Two face]
When Miss S got married back in October, we tidied up the back of church - old cassette tapes, mainly, and old-but-virtuous magazines and other old cr*p. The box got moved behind the font and no-one bothered emptying it after the wedding. Yesterday we thought it had gone altogether and were quietly celebrating - but I later discovered it in the flower-arrangers/slash/worship band cupboard. Frankly that is the last place it should be, and very soon it's the last place it WILL HAVE BEEN. I am taking an Executive Decision.

The Stroppy Mrs. S - no, better make that Assertive [Devil]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{All of us; and may our clutter move along to the right next place for it, without undue stress, strain, or panic for us.}}}}}}}

Re Freecycle: I've used it a few times, though mostly to get stuff.

Re the broken dishwasher: is there a vocational school around, or a secondary school with a mechanic vocational program? They might be happy to have the dishwasher, and come get it, to practice repairs.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

If the school etc a dishwasher they'll see it on Freecycle like they saw my other broken kit & claimed it. But so far no response, so if it's still not claimed on Monday then I'll arrange a collection by the council.
Meanwhile the space it occupied Is no longer empty - I've moved cooking/baking things there, and moved things off the dresser either into new space or put it by the door ready to go to the charity shop. But not the boxes of choklits I found..... oh no, all this decluttering deserves a treat [Smile]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... the space it occupied is no longer empty ...

You mean you aren't replacing it??? [Eek!] [Confused]

I'm dreading the day our one (which is 10 years old) pops its clogs, as I don't know if we could afford to replace it, but I'd hate to be without it.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my dishwasher too, but when it goes, I think I will just have some more shelves installed (leaving the plumbing for the next owner)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Oh no, I'm with piglet on this one. I can't remember how old ours is (crosses fingers) but I would not be without it, as it keeps my kitchen surfaces decluttered on a daily basis! [Overused]

I got my first after Mr. S's surprise birthday party for his 40th. As we stood there at 3 am washing glasses, he said 'Thank you for my lovely party, would you like a dishwasher?'. Do bears make their own sanitary arrangements in arboreal areas? In fact, I ended up getting a new kitchen, as fitting the dishwasher made such a mess of the existing one [Devil]

Mrs. S, feeling blessed [Axe murder]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

After the washing machine my dishwasher was my most essential large appliance.

But when it died after many years faithful service there was just the two of us and I decided that I needed the storage space more than a dishwasher and got a cupboard for the space.

Now we have moved nearer family and are doing more entertaining and I have a dishwasher again and have fallen in love with it all over again.

Plus, I have decluttered a lot of kitchen stuff and no longer need that much storage.....

I suspect I never needed the space, I just had too much stuff.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
...I suspect I never needed the space, I just had too much stuff.

Amen to that!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I thought I'd not manage without it, but it's fine. My kitchen is so tiny that the extra space is welcome, and at last (after 20 yrs) things are where they are handy, rather than in the dining area. I think I'll live without the dishwasher for the moment, or until I've emptied all the bottles taking up one of the cupboards [Big Grin]
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phase one started this morning with a trip to the tip. Poor son is severely traumatised at parting with his accumulation of computer bits. Now to sort the books I was saving for Epsom Book Fair.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
...I suspect I never needed the space, I just had too much stuff.

Amen to that!
We did a puppet show about the lost sheep, and afterwards it occurred to me that when you need to declutter to find all the things you'd forgotten you had - you have Too Much Stuff and don't value it enough.

Not sure where I'm going with that thought, though...

Mrs. S, cheerfully decluttering the booze cupboard
[Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016