homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... a couple of little bugs flew a bit to close to the gloss paint, so I still get Life in the paint. Still Life?

I should enter your wall in next year's Turner Prize if I were you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... a couple of little bugs flew a bit to close to the gloss paint, so I still get Life in the paint. Still Life?

I should enter your wall in next year's Turner Prize if I were you. [Big Grin]
[Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There definitely has to be an art prize in there somewhere!

The shelves in our living room are up, and hold all our board games (surprisingly!) this leaves plenty of wiggle room to get tidying the spare bedroom. Mr Shrew has very kindly bought me a second hand filing cabinet for all the paperwork, so I will be filling that up at the weekend.

The weather was quite nice on Saturday so we investigated our garden. The surveyor had said there was a bit of clutter hiding behind the large trees (which look like they are at the very bottom of the garden but are actually about six foot away from it).
Thus turns out to have been an understatement. We appear to have a four foot high by about 4 foot diameter mind of earth and an enormous pile of bits of dead tree, with assorted rubbish thrown in. I'm not entirely sure how one declutters mud....

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what is called for is some artful rearrangement of said mud.

How is beyond my capacity to comment.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leave the pile - it's a perfect hedgehog and wildlife retreat!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what it's like when a member of a group you're in is selling something you don't want but feel obliged to buy for a good cause?

Half my cookery books are ones I felt obliged to buy for school funds or whatever.

Well, many years ago, one of the Playgroup mums had a close relative with a good singing voice. He cut a fund-raising CD and I felt obliged to buy a signed copy.

I found it in today's declutter. And the singer is a lot better known now than he was then! I've googled, but there don't seem to have been any sold on E-bay, so perhaps there aren't that many in existence. I might have a rare example. A rare, signed, example! (All google threw up was a review at the time advising Playgroup Mum's relative not to give up the day job.)

What do you think? Could a rare, signed CD of Alex Salmond singing "The Rowan Tree" be worth a fortune????

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that is a fabulous find, NEQ! I am almost tempted to make you an offer. [Devil] (Almost, but not quite ...)

I am expected to buy all sorts of junk at all sorts of coffee mornings, sales of work, etc. Long ago I adopted a policy of buying homemade cards. Because the beauty of them is that I buy them, then give them away!

The Bake Stall is, of course, another matter ...

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ:
quote:
What do you think? Could a rare, signed CD of Alex Salmond singing "The Rowan Tree" be worth a fortune????
It depends how much he'd be willing to pay to stop anyone else getting it, doesn't it? [Snigger]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's actually got a good voice - he was a choirboy till his voice broke.

This (from 0.50) is a poor quality recording, but as you can see he's not shy about taking the stage.

However, I think my signed CD justifies the description "Probably the worst party CD, ever."

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was mentioned on Radio 4 in the past few months - either the Today Programme or the PM show. Copies of the CD are hard to find, apparently...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Did it say if they were worth anything, Ferijen?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Leave the pile - it's a perfect hedgehog and wildlife retreat!

[Smile]

Yes, it's called a "berm".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big bag of stuff for the charity shop.
Proud of myself!
Long may the discardedness continue in my house [Angel]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently working my way through three black rubbish bags of shredded paper, from the Great Study Declutter. You can't put it in recycling, so I am mixing it with grass cuttings and compost accelerator, aka pee - but even two large compost bins fill up pretty quickly at that rate ...

In other news, we are having cupboards and a sink put into our utility room at the weekend - it's only taken 22 years to get there! so I need to clear everything out into the garage before then *sigh* [Help] We can apparently block the door to the outside without planning permission, but not take it out and replace it with a window *sigh again*. You can take bricks away, i.e. change a window for a door, but not put them in - how crazy is that? [Ultra confused]

Anyhoo, it'll be worth it so I don't have to clean paintbrushes in the kitchen sink. I used to use the bath, but when I got a new one that was out of bounds as well!

Mrs. S SKIING* [Yipee]
(*spending the kids' inheritance)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As some Shippies know, Daddy Vern was a man who basically became a father to me, and he taught me many basic life skills. Over the years, and especially recently I think, I've struggled with keeping those up, including taking care of my home and household. Now I am determined to go back to the healthy living habits he taught me, for both my sake and my partner Cubby's (QuakerCub here on the Ship).

Hugs to all!

(Similar but different post going on the weight loss thread...)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! I was visited by a whirlwind of a home help today and she's coming back next week [Yipee] In the meantime I will be sorting through some of the stuff and decide what it biff, but this shouldn't be too diffficult as they are in small seperate piles so I can tackle 2 or 3 per day. Also, having had someone else get rid of the obvious crap there is less to sort.

I'm also looking at fabric that I have had for years and realising that I will never use it. I list it on Freecycle and when someone comes to pick it up I get a buzz when they tell me what they're going to use it for. I makes it easier for me to give up stuff when I think someone else is going to use it - and if they don't it's not my problem [Two face]

Similarly with the jam and preserving jars. I will never do that much jam making or preserving and having got rid of them I will never come across them in the garage and beat myself up for it.

It will probably be more difficult when I get to the craft stuff because I'm not sure where I can get rid (ahem - donate) heaps of cross stitch pattern books. I may see if the local needleworkers guild is interested.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It will probably be more difficult when I get to the craft stuff because I'm not sure where I can get rid (ahem - donate) heaps of cross stitch pattern books. I may see if the local needleworkers guild is interested.

Huia, I can't speak for the needlework guild but I do know the Knitters Guild down here runs a postal library for members. Hopefully, your guild may do the same.

There is a NSW Embroiderers Guild who may be interested but I imagine the postage would be horrendous.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just looked outside from my balcony. A big van was there marked, UtterDeclutter . So get some experience and capitalise on it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just read another decluttering site, here is a quote from it -

quote:
Clutter tolerance seems to run a fever cycle, much like the flu. Every so often, the cluttered household will become intolerable, sparking short-lived but fiery anti-clutter efforts. Piles will be shifted, boxes will be filled, stuff will be stashed--until the fever breaks. Then the clutter tide flows back in, confusion redoubled because of the flushed and furious attempts to get a grip in a hurry.
How true!

So I am now re-energised on my 15 minutes a day. Not a big splurge, just a constant chipping away. It's not bad here - but the battle of the piles is never ending for a messy moo like me!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I finally Had Had Enough (cf. WW on the Keep Calm... thread) and tidied the cupboard over the oven, which houses cake tins and - not coincidentally - the medicine basket.

Optrex, best before 2006, anyone? [Ultra confused]

At least now, when you remove the medicine basket looking for a paracetamol, fourteen cake tins don't cascade on to the ceramic tile floor (thus intensifying the need for paracetamol). And if you wonder why two people need so many cake tins, they date back to our fund-raising days when home-made cake was a sure-fire success. Too good to get rid of, though at least I've discarded the odd plastic shelf-type thing for the dishwasher, never used in years, that we can't remember the purpose of!

The utility room is now lovely and tidy (although the overflow, by custom and practice, is in the garage, which needs ANOTHER complete declutter [Roll Eyes] )

Mrs. S, still wondering what the glycerin was for..

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I finally Had Had Enough (cf. WW on the Keep Calm... thread) and tidied the cupboard over the oven, which houses cake tins and - not coincidentally - the medicine basket.

Optrex, best before 2006, anyone? [Ultra confused]

I raise you some diclofenic acid tablets, prescribed for a teenaged me in the late 80s and discovered in the medicine cupboard 18 months ago [Hot and Hormonal] I have moved house 8 times since they were prescribed.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Mrs. S, still wondering what the glycerin was for..

Erm, immediate suggestions would be the manufacture of either Tri-Nitro-Glycerine, which could get you in trouble with the police, or Royal Icing for a Christmas Cake, which could get you in trouble with your wardrobe!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of the unpacking of boxes and trips to the tip there seems to be no end.

A lot of these boxes haven't been unpacked since November last year when we moved for the first time. I am not sure what is in some of them. I haven't needed the contents in nearly six months. Maybe I don't need them at all.

I have done a bit of decluttering of things along the way but really most of it was done before the big move.

Most of the remaining stuff is mine. Books, ornaments and files.

We got a new bookcase/cd storage unit. I think (unless there is another box somewhere) that all the cds are unpacked and there is plenty of space for future acquisitions.

The books are another matter. I have already decluttered loads and am reluctant to get rid of more. I have identified a few that I might consider surplus to requirements. I shall have to wait and see how the space works out.

The unpacked books and cd's aren't ordered yet. Some of the books are. Mainly into categories, sewing, cooking, God, Terry Pratchett - you get the idea. The cds are just randomly stuffed into the spaces.

Most of the ornaments are still in boxes. I am just consolidating the boxes as I came across them.

Meanwhile I have cleaned out the rental property. That is ready for the landlords inspection.

Love the new house but feeling a bit weary with it all at the moment.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
cake tins … Too good to get rid of..

Ah, but are you going to bake this many cakes again? In the near future?

If not, maybe some nearby young person starting out their household could make use of them?

Nothing is ever too good to get rid of, if you aren't in use of them!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:

It helped me to think of it as giving someone else a chance to use something, rather than me getting rid of it, which may just be semantics - but it made it easier. This worked with a 1940s pattern book for children's clothes which I knew I would never use, but which came from my family home and contained patterns for some of the clothes Mum made me as a child, including the knickers made out of flourbags.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:
cake tins … Too good to get rid of..

Ah, but are you going to bake this many cakes again? In the near future?

If not, maybe some nearby young person starting out their household could make use of them?

It's true, ecu, but I have reduced their number by half, by the simple expedient of sharing them with Miss S - I suppose she counts as a young person setting up home [Biased] . Now I only have one of each kind left, and the moment I get rid of that tin I just know I'll want it. And cakes are funny that way - they like the right size tin or they sulk...

I like baking, the only downside being I like eating the stuff too [Big Grin]

Mrs. S, regretfully rotund

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the moment I get rid of that tin I just know I'll want it. And cakes are funny that way - they like the right size tin or they sulk...

This is true about a lot of cooking items. You do need the right tools for the job. I have hesitated over a lot of my cooking equipment but have decided that just because I "could" manage with a couple of saucepans and one frying pan doesn't mean I have to.

I have a quantity of individual tartlet tins. I rarely use them but I will at some point and then I will need them. So I have decided not to declutter them.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not young but when I moved to the uk I had to furnish myself a again, from scratch, so was very grateful of friends' cast off furniture and kitchenware.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to keep the wildlife home, as per upthread, but with a slight alteration - I will remove the bits round the edge which are leaning on fence (as they will eventually damage the fence). We have decided to do this ourselves, so more work but much less expense.

The spare room continues to be my nemesis. Like Thyme I have boxes I have not touched in six months (and boxes of Mr shrew's which haven't been touched in two years), however I simply don't know where to begin.

I would like to use the upcoming bank holidays to do some sorting out but as my family live so far away we are using them to travel and visit without having to use up precious holiday days.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And cakes are funny that way - they like the right size tin or they sulk...

[Killing me]

Like others on this thread The Spare Room looms large in my consciousness and, sadly, not in a Narnia way. Mr Nen and I keep talking about how we're going to spend some time sorting it. Yes, we really are... There is stuff in there from I-don't-like-to-think-how long ago, including a boxful of my mum's paperwork and her books which are a special treasure but we have no shelves available to put them on.

This is all part of Project Decorate Our Bedroom: there needs to be space in the spare room for the spare bed (from what was Nenlet1's bedroom) so that we can move our bed and bedroom furniture into there and be there while we decorate our room. This has been the plan since Nenlet1 got married. She's just celebrated her second anniversary. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - still unclear about why a room has to be totally empty before you can decorate it...

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
The spare room continues to be my nemesis. Like Thyme I have boxes I have not touched in six months (and boxes of Mr shrew's which haven't been touched in two years), however I simply don't know where to begin.

My experience is that this sort of 'block' is as much psychological as it is practical. Ways round it I have used are:

1 Find out what is in the boxes if you don't already have some idea. This will mean that you can make some sort of plan as to where the stuff will go if it is not to live permanently in boxes. If you find you have no place for it then at least you know that there is a different set of decisions to be made.

2 Just start. With one box. Then do another. Aim for something manageable like one a week or even month. If there is a choice, ie, you can get to them easily, start with the easier ones.

3 Even if some of the stuff should be in permanent storage, make a plan for what that storage should be. eg, something a bit more decorative than packing boxes.

Nen: I learnt from my brother in law that a room doesn't have to be completely empty before decorating. Just take out whatever you can and work round the rest with dust sheets. I've decorated rooms with furniture still in place. Even when we had a decorator in to do the main bedroom she was happy to work round some furniture.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

Nen: I learnt from my brother in law that a room doesn't have to be completely empty before decorating. Just take out whatever you can and work round the rest with dust sheets. I've decorated rooms with furniture still in place. Even when we had a decorator in to do the main bedroom she was happy to work round some furniture.

I've heard that from other friends too. Mr Nen, however, thinks otherwise... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

I've heard that from other friends too. Mr Nen, however, thinks otherwise... [Roll Eyes]

All is now clear [Biased] [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

I'm with Mr. Nen on this one, when at all possible - otherwise you spend so much time moving stuff around, and when you emulsion the ceiling it can get downright dangerous [Eek!] I think it works out quicker in the end, really...

In other news, I was walking past the Sue Ryder shop yesterday and saw an orange cast-iron paella pan for £9.95. As I happened to have one ten-pound note in my purse, of course I had to buy it
[Roll Eyes]

As I said to Mr. S, 'It isn't Le Creuset, but hey, what do you expect for a tenner?'
Mr. S, without hesitation - 'Le Creuset' [Killing me]

I have wanted one for so long, but now have to clear a space about two feet square to accommodate it - MORE decluttering!

(Good luck with everyone's boxes and spare rooms, btw)

Mrs. S, looking for a paella recipe for oh, a dozen, I'd say [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... an orange cast-iron paella pan for £9.95. ...

Why do I never see things like that? [Waterworks]

I've been wanting one of those for ages too; we saw some quite nice "pseudo-Creuset" ones in Sainsbury's the last time we were home, but even they were about £70 and were so heavy we'd probably have had to pay excess-baggage on them.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
quote:
... an orange cast-iron paella pan for £9.95. ...

Why do I never see things like that? [Waterworks]

I've been wanting one of those for ages too; we saw some quite nice "pseudo-Creuset" ones in Sainsbury's the last time we were home, but even they were about £70 and were so heavy we'd probably have had to pay excess-baggage on them.

I think it was Le Sainsbury's, piglet - they also had a tagine, which tempted me (but I had no more money) and a giant casserole which someone else had bought. She was thrilled when I told her the inside would come up like new with a bit of bleach [Yipee]

Mrs. S, still trying to find space for her new treasure [Big Grin]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I never find things like a nearly Le Creuset paella dish in charity shops either!

I do have a well used 35 year old large Le Crueset casserole with a well developed patina inside.

Will it really come up gleaming with some bleach? Will one of those bathroom sprays with bleach do the trick?

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't need encouraging to trawl the charity shops looking for le creuset dishes! [Smile] we have a lovely blue oval one which is just right for 6-8 people. It is my favourite casserole dish.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Will it really come up gleaming with some bleach? Will one of those bathroom sprays with bleach do the trick?

I'm a bit more direct than that, Thyme - I just boil a dishcloth or two in a solution of ordinary bleach! It brings the enamel up a treat [Yipee]

They do last almost indefinitely. We have a set of 4 casseroles which are more than 30 years old - and I well remember the day I discovered the factory shop at Coutances. Mr. S says I looked like 'a kid wot's been given a fahsand pahnds worf of sweets!' Goodness knows where that came from!

Mrs. S, possessor of some impressive arm muscles

[Killing me]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother cooked porridge in her Le Creuset and other casseroles to clean them - put me off porridge for years (in Aga slowest oven overnight).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... just boil a dishcloth or two in a solution of ordinary bleach! It brings the enamel up a treat ...

Really? We have two Le Creuset casseroles and a roasting pan that we got as wedding presents 25 yrs ago from my sister and brother-in-law and the round casserole is very stained and bashed-about inside. Do you mean boil the cloths in bleach inside the dish, on top of the stove?
quote:
Mrs. S, possessor of some impressive arm muscles ...

When we lived in Belfast, Debenhams were having a sale of Le Creuset stuff and I got a set of three saucepans, a frying-pan and a small casserole, with a hanging-rack. As you can imagine, this weighed just a little less than Jupiter, but I carried it from the shop to the Cathedral car-park, about quarter of a mile, in pouring rain.

Any suggestion that they belong to anyone but me is met with very short shrift ... [Devil]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Piglet -

1) Yep, just that.

2) I had one of those, too, but I wrecked the pans by putting them in the dishwasher - it stripped the varnish off the handles [Disappointed] (smack wrist!). I still have the rack, which I use as a cookery-book-case, and I hang keys on the pan hooks - magic [Axe murder]

You reminded me of when I bought my sewing machine in Gamage's closing-down sale over 40 years ago. I carried it home on the Tube, from ?Oxford Street out to Greenford, and until you do something like that you do not appreciate quite how far a Tube journey requires you to walk. As it was over 40 years ago, sewing machines were made from melted-down overground rails or the like, you can imagine what it weighed.

I still have it, still use it, never going to declutter that [Overused]

Mrs. S, sorry about the tangent [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. <cracks knuckles, stretches arms, grabs bin bags and a vacuum cleaner> Dad will arrive on Saturday and I have three days of work and nine hours of rehearsals and a performance to get done before then. And the room he's going to be sleeping in is my craft place. Send me some good slinging-things-out thoughts.

Cattyish, pulling on rubber gloves.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Do you mean boil the cloths in bleach inside the dish, on top of the stove?

I wondered that as well but was too shy to post! Thanks for the reply Mrs S.

cattyish - good luck!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge smells nicer than boiling up bleach (or biological washing powder) with cloths on top of a stove, and does a surprisingly good job. I've done both, just not entirely convinced I ever want to eat the porridge that's doing the clean up job.

I got my Le Creuset pan set from a church fête for £5. And they were battered when I got them.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weeded out some records yesterday. We need to wrestle our basement into some semblance of order.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... not entirely convinced I ever want to eat the porridge that's doing the clean up job ...

Or any other porridge for that matter ... [Projectile]

Sorry - end of porridge tangent. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took two large plastic storage bins of clothing to church yesterday for our upcoming Rummage (aka Jumble) Sale. I have a little more closet space now, and my drawers are so much neater and roomier! Next week I'll take over some household items and electronics.

And I've been organizing/decluttering my home office during Lent. There's been a huge improvement.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gah!

I have been meaning to deal with the detritus that has washed up in the living room as a result of failing to completely unpack (and re-home the baby haggis) after several weekends away. Now I've given myself the motivational event of a number of people needing to have a small dance rehearsal in the living room tomorrow! It's about time but [Eek!] !

Strangely, I think the thing that will make it easier is sorting my wardrobe so that things can go back in it and I will have sensible access to the storage under my bed (which is where the haggis spend the majority of the year). So that'll be a good job for my afternoon of today, along with some extra errands.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
the storage under my bed (which is where the haggis spend the majority of the year).

You keep haggis under your bed? Doesn't it go off and smell terrible? [Eek!]

Here at Chateau Nen, Project Decorate our Bedroom is actually making progress. Our wardrobes plus contents are now in Nenlet1's old bedroom. Even more sorting and decluttering has appeared. The spare room is clearer than it was. Mr Nen is talking about Mirror Doors and Feature Walls. It's been a busy day.

Nen - now exhausted and looking forward to a return to work for a rest tomorrow.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016