homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stationery cupboard done (again) but it does get better each time - less unused stuff goes back [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have taken some stuff to the charity shop today and bought some of those plastic drawer kits to organise our stationery hoard.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My ultimate plan is to completely renovate my father's flat, which I will soon own outright, and move into it and experiment with living alone for a while. I'm doing the lot - removing a wall, new kitchen, new bathroom, new floors, new ceilings, garden landscapers, the works.

This is as a result the single hugest and most daunting prospect I have ever tried to take on.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a wonderful plan, and you know we'll be right behind you cheering you on, PH! Please keep us informed [Smile]

(we're a nosy lot, you know!)

Mrs S, speaking for herself

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, yeah, I eyeballed this thread as the place to panic armwavingly about it on the internet ;-) It is going to be a HUGE JOB.

Dad owns something like ten thousand books. I mean, you all knew ken, this shouldn't come as a surprise - and I'll probably want to keep at least half of them - but they all need to be gone through and organised and sorted, and then stored somewhere for the duration, and then there's everything else.

We accumulate so much *stuff* in a life.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
... Dad owns something like ten thousand books ... and I'll probably want to keep at least half of them.

You don't really want a flat - you want a library. [Big Grin]

I wish you the best of luck: I nearly get an apoplexy whenever I contemplate the task that we'll eventually face with Dad's house: he's 89, he's lived in that house for nearly 50 years and he's a bit of a hoarder ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My ultimate plan is to completely renovate my father's flat, which I will soon own outright, and move into it and experiment with living alone for a while. I'm doing the lot - removing a wall, new kitchen, new bathroom, new floors, new ceilings, garden landscapers, the works.

This is as a result the single hugest and most daunting prospect I have ever tried to take on.

You'll need a whiteboard. And lots of post-it notes. (Not even kidding.)

I'm about to move house for the 5th time in 6 years, this time from a shared 3br house (in which I have 2br) into a fully furnished 2br flat.

[Ultra confused] what will I do with all this furniture?!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ikea, for bookcases. Far the cheapest, you can get them all alike, and by the time you assemble half a dozen of them you will be an expert.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not think you have quite an understanding of the problem Brenda. Here is Ken describing how he organises his books to read

quote:
How do I organise books to read? In loose piles all over the flat. Some three feet high. Some on the floor some not. The three or four or five that are on the go at any one time will be lying open on the table or on my bed or on a chair or else in the bag I take to work.
Back in 2008 we shared pictures of our shelves. Ken's by far was the most impressive. Even then there were piles on the floor. I think Persephone Hazard is likely to have underestimated the number when she says 10,000.

By halving the number of books they might well fit onto existing shelving but she needs the space in order to get the renovations done.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

What Jengie said! Plus, the whole place is - uninhabitable. Probably a health hazard.

But it will be gorgeous. It will be. And full of books.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

You don't really want a flat - you want a library. [Big Grin]

I wish you the best of luck: I nearly get an apoplexy whenever I contemplate the task that we'll eventually face with Dad's house: he's 89, he's lived in that house for nearly 50 years and he's a bit of a hoarder ... [Eek!]

I have an agreement with the Dowager Mrs S - who has lived in the same 4br house for almost 50 years - that she will Leave All That To Me. She is incapable of throwing anything away; having filled bags to take to the charity shop, with clothes she never wears, indeed can no longer wear, she will then have a change of heart and put them all back. [Roll Eyes] She couldn't even bring herself to get rid of an aged set of Dickens - when she already has a set herself that she never reads because the print is miniscule - because Someone Might Want It. [Eek!]

So when she shuffles off this mortal coil it will be a lot easier if I just move in with a skip. The real problem will come if she has to move out, other than feet first - but she's made it to within a week of her 90th birthday, so we'll worry about that when we have to.

Mrs. S, ruthless in disposing of (other people's!) Stuff!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
....We accumulate so much *stuff* in a life.

It was dealing with my mother's *stuff* (not that she had anywhere near the number of books that Ken had but she was pretty good at hoarding cracker toys) that got me started on my own declutter so no-one has to go through what I did - to start with it was 20 year-old bills that might be interesting to someone one day and theatre & concert tickets and programmes, then moving onto clothes that might come back into fashion but which I would never, ever fit into again, boxes of things that I had no idea what was in so I wouldn't miss the contents (I checked first and was right), and so on.
It's now a regular event - anything that didn't move (and sometimes even the cats look worried) comes under scrutiny.

Persephone Hazard, I wish you a smooth journey through to a lovely, beautiful flat.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With my dad it's not so much books as video-tapes (old war-films, every episode ever made of Bilko and Dad's Army plus much besides) and boxes of slides from over 40 years' worth of holidays, which between them completely fill a built-in wardrobe.

As for the garage ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a sort of reverse or anti-clutter moment yesterday.

I was going round a market - lots of stalls with pre-loved/collectable/antiquey things.

There were two very nice Le Creuset casseroles in good condition. One in orange a bit smaller than my current one. One in blue a bit larger.

I resisted. But now I regret it. I don't have anywhere to put them and I don't really need them. I thought of The Intrepid Mrs S and her paella pan. But I haven't ever thought that what I really need is a different size of casserole.

I managed not to buy quite a lot of things so I am quite proud of myself.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

I managed not to buy quite a lot of things so I am quite proud of myself.

Well done!

I am a terror for impulse buying online - so now I use the 'wish list' feature. I never buy anything first off, it has to sit in my wish list and be revisited several times before it gets moved to the basket.

I've saved a fortune using this method [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What Jengie said! Plus, the whole place is - uninhabitable. Probably a health hazard.

But it will be gorgeous. It will be. And full of books.

Move the whole lot into storage before doing the renovations.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Back in 2008 we shared pictures of our shelves. Ken's by far was the most impressive. Even then there were piles on the floor. I think Persephone Hazard is likely to have underestimated the number when she says 10,000.
Jengie [/QB][/QUOTE]

Nevr mind the books-got plenty of those.
I covet the harp!
[Angel]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well done, Thyme! I must say that decluttering has spoiled me for shopping (generally [Hot and Hormonal] ) as I really think I have plenty of Stuff. I must have saved a fortune!

The paella pan was a real exception to that rule, in that I had wanted one for ages, but just couldn't bring myself to pay for a new one.

I am happy to report that it is in regular use and made another appearance on Friday evening, full of Nargisi Kofta for Former Miss S and SiL [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, currently trying to declutter the church by stealth [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. found a mock-Le Creuset paella pan the other day for $50, but it weighed an absolute ton* (it seemed far heavier than the real ones we have). However, right next to it was a slightly smaller, lightweight, non-stick two-handled shallow casserole with a glass lid, which only cost $20 (and was also the right colour - "Le Creuset" orange), so we bought it instead. I tried it out the other day and I must say I was well pleased.

Not de-cluttering, but as it sits happily on top of the larder-cupboard, it's not really cluttering either.

* I'd have almost worried about it going through the ceramic stove-top. [Eek!]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Actually, I prefer almost any of the other Le Creuset colours to the orange. They do beautiful blue and aqua - I have one casserole in each of those shades - and Former Miss S has a smaller paella pan in purple [Axe murder] Then there's the gun-metal grey and the almond, and even the brown seems to me to be preferable, although only slightly.

I lived through the 60's and wore far too much orange ever to love it again! [Roll Eyes] Brown not quite so much, though I remember tons of brown carpet and soft furnishings.

The Reminiscent Mrs. S

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just asked my wife to give away all of my extra-large t-shirts that she does not wish to keep for nightdresses. In my industry, I often get shirts from employers and shows that are damn-all worthless; those I keep are the ones from architecture school, my first real date with my lovely bride of 36 years seeing Sir Elton on tour, my Bridges to Babylon Stones tour when I was forty and the 'Kamana Wana Lei U' t-shirt I bought in Hawaii that was featured in a memorable nightclub photo with seven pretty girls when I was a 20-year-old university student who surfed a bit in Kona on the Big Island...

I am also plagued with 9 rooms of furniture in a 7-room house!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Actually, I prefer almost any of the other Le Creuset colours to the orange ...

I love some of the other colours too (especially the turquoise), but as the rest of our stuff is orange ("volcano" I believe they call it), that's become the "right" colour for us.

Believe me, it's probably the only orange stuff we possess. [Big Grin]

[ 16. June 2014, 13:36: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making lots of progress, but still a lot to do before building inspection next week.
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ecumaniac:
quote:
Move the whole lot into storage before doing the renovations.
If you can afford to pay for storage, this is good advice. We redecorated most of the rooms in our house before moving our stuff in (it was in storage for a week between moving out of the old house and into the new) and it's a lot easier without having to move your stuff around to get at the walls. Just remember to allow time to go through the storage bin when the renovations are done; don't get suckered into paying to keep the extra stuff in storage until the sun explodes...

I managed to persuade my mother-in-law to clear out one of her kitchen cupboards this weekend. We had to clear it out anyway because the plumber needed it empty to replace the taps, and when he'd gone we looked at the stuff and thought 'how much of this actually gets used and needs to go back in the cupboard?' It turned out hardly any of it did.

The unwanted stuff has only got as far as the garage, but it's a start!

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I decluttered some kitchen items into the charity shop today. Some of it was a wrench as they were good quality, hardly used items that were wedding presents.

They were hardly used, but I felt very guilty about them as I did ask for them at the time.

When we moved I put them out on an open shelf in the hope that would encourage me to use them, but it didn't. I am hoping that now they are gone they will be out of my mind.

The lady at the charity shop was thrilled with them.

Also decluttered a surprisingly large quantity of shoe polish, either dried up or for shoes I no longer own.

On the downside I found a house clearance shop in the town yesterday. Lots of nice stuff and I bought a plate. I did send a plate to the charity shop to compensate though.

Also found a tapestry frame in the charity shop while I was delivering the kitchen stuff and bought it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, I prefer almost any of the other Le Creuset colours to the orange. They do beautiful blue and aqua - I have one casserole in each of those shades - and Former Miss S has a smaller paella pan in purple [Axe murder] Then there's the gun-metal grey and the almond, and even the brown seems to me to be preferable, although only slightly.

[...]
The Reminiscent Mrs. S

I have blue cast iron ware, a red heart casserole and pink stone wear. I would be lying if I described them as anything other than my pride and joy.

I finally bought a sturdy warderobe to replace the ikea one, and it will be delivered today, along with a chest of drawers. Both will go in the baby's room. Despite a new extension (which is now full of a table, washing machine, DVDs and desk), we still need to declutter...and with three adults worth of stuff, and exer expanding amounts of baby paraphelia in a three bed house it's going to be a long job. Which would be fine if I didn't need it sorted in 12 weeks. We will be rather busy at that point.

At some point we will have the third bedroom spare once Housemate moves out, but that won't be til after the baby comes.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Sorted out some handbags for the charity shop.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the spirit of making a public commitment to something, I've decided to post here my intention to kick the hoarding habit. It's not helping me get well, or be good to my kids. The downside is that only the recognisable, complete, saleable stuff can really go - leaving me with the unfinished projects which I currently have no room to work on, and no motivation due to the piles of stuff to climb over to get to them.

So lined up for ebay photos we have an early 60s Ferrograph tape recorder (on my fixit pile for about 20 years), an Edison cylinder phonograph, an early Conn baritone saxophone, a cabinet model wind-up gramophone and pile of 78s, various bits of university lab furniture, a laboratory hotplate, two B&K microphone multiplexers, and (biggest heartache) my last East German two stroke motorbike with enough spares to make about 3 extra engines. Taxed in Jan and not ridden since.

When I add that this doesn't make a very big dent and there will have to be much more gone, you can get an idea of the problem. I'd say PM me if any of this appeals to you, but hey, were at AA here and I'm emptying my drinks cabinet...

MiM - grieving like a right pr*ck.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I lived through the 60's and wore far too much orange ever to love it again! [Roll Eyes] Brown not quite so much, though I remember tons of brown carpet and soft furnishings.

I was at secondary school in the 70s and our school uniform was brown. [Eek!] Never worn that colour since.

Mark - we feel your pain. I decluttered some of my kids' school work months ago and have never really got over it.

Nen - happy to assist in the decluttering of any drinks cupboards. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Nenya, such an act of Christian charity [Biased]

Mark does Freecycle exist in Manchester? The reason I'm askking is that it does here and people list all kinds of weird and wonderful things, which others happily come and collect. It has been a boon to me in decluttering - just don't respond to the "offers" otherwise you may end up with more stuff to declutter.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MiM - it might be worth copying your post to this thread.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago, I realised that I was having a hard time decluttering some things that had broken. (Yes, I realise this is somewhat crazy but still.)

A guide leader had made me a dear little clay nativity that had fallen and broken in two and I had carried around the broken pieces for several moves. I wound up taking a photo of it and found that that gave me the confidence to let it go. I've since done it with several other items that I should have been done with but was finding hard to pass on.

I've still got way too much stuff but some of the things that really should have been enjoyed by others are now gone and taking and having a photo of them helped.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, trying 10 minutes a day. Hopefully in a couple of weeks the bedroom will be sensible again...
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just (this morning) resigned as Secretary of the Board for a non-profit organization. Within the next week I shall be clearing out all of the records and other items that belong to them but that have been stored in my house. That will make it much easier to declutter my own stuff. (It also provided some emotional decluttering.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Done a couple of bookcases and the stuff from my college study. tomorrow: desk!

[ 20. June 2014, 17:04: Message edited by: Jenn. ]

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Staring down the face of 4 weeks between moving out of my current house and into the next one. 《Turns up the decluttering setting to Ruthless》

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Good Luck ecumaniac!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What has poor Ruth got to do with it?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
What has poor Ruth got to do with it?

She's been decluttered, I think ...

Mrs. S, fetching her coat

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, still here! [Razz]

My mother did a great job of decluttering when she moved from a big house to a two-bedroom apartment earlier this year, so much so that there is room for everything in her new place and everything is all nice and tidy. After a week with her, I'm feeling fired up about getting rid of some of the stuff that's accumulated in the 21 years I've been in my apartment.

But we'll see how long that fire stays lit once I get home.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 rooms reorganized yesterday. It is so hard to do when it has to be a double 'yes' with your partner, but we made good headway.

It made me realize how much art we have hung on to that neither of us has really strong feelings about - it just sort of 'went with the colour scheme' at the time, or was a memento of a gallery excursion. Our mantra has become "Is it beautiful, is it useful, is it meaningful?"

Suddenly having 8 things to choose from to put on a wall went down to 2 or 3. The nice thing is knowing that we both are really really happy with the end result.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week I have decluttered the boxes of equipment my Brownie (girl scout) unit uses for weekend away trips.
I inherited these boxes when I took over the unit 18 months ago. The difficulty is, of course, that everything in the boxes has been bought for or donated to the unit so I find it difficult to dispose of even patently useless items because they are not really *mine* to do that with. I finally snapped this week and decided that the unit running efficiently and without me going spare was more important than holding on to things I believed to be useless out of a sense of propriety.
It has taken all week to get them properly under control but now they are actually right and how I want them, and they have only stuff I need in them. I have replaced the old plastic storage boxes (two of them, each huge to the point that I struggled to get them in my car, and could not lift them without help from a strong friend) with three much smaller and easier to handle plastic storage boxes with integral lids. And with the clearing I have managed to do, I have actually got essential things (the spare sleeping bag, the sick bucket, the first aid kit and the leftover loo and kitchen roll carried over from last year)which previously would not fit inside the boxes to fit in them so this should have a big knock-on effect in tidying up my Brownie storage cupboard too.

We are taking the Brownies away for their annual weekend trip next weekend, after which I am desperately hoping to be able to get on with decluttering my own things again.

Following which, I may try again to have a go at tidying the Brownie storage cupboard (we are lucky to have a huge cupboard, but it is an absolute tip. We share it with the Rainbow (younger girl scout) unit and much of our equipment and craft stocks are shared, making the decluttering even harder.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Well done Mrs Shrew!

Yesterday I did 'that' drawer with all the wires and chargers which match up to nothing at all. Now the only wires I have are useful ones! [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well done everyone!

We have had to declutter two reclining chairs in faux-leather. Master S - who is 8 inches taller than his father and built to match - sat down in Mr. S's chair and there was a horrible noise, later identified as the laminated wood actually snapping at the point of greatest strain. [Eek!] All attempts to mend it failed, so we took it to the dump (in dismantling it, we got oil on the carpet [Mad] so that had to be shampooed) and bought a second sofa from IKEA to match the existing one.

Fine - except that my recliner, now viewed from directly in front, rather than sideways,leaned like Lee Marvin's horse in one of those spaghetti westerns. Cue repeat trip to dump, having dismantled THIS one on a dust sheet to avoid the oil.

We had to bring down the spare chair from upstairs to replace it!

Mrs. S, exhausted just thinking about it

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Boogie! "Those" drawers creep up on us!

I'm sorry about your chair, Mrs S. It sounds like a very productive weekend at least

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a bad person.
A friend said she was getting rid of a Viking round shield, left behind by her ex-husband. I don't do a lot of Viking re-enactment, but I offered to give it a home. So now I really should have an axe or a spear to go with it....

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eigon, some things rise above being the designation of clutter -Id give something like this the bebefit of the doubt/

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Making lots of progress, but still a lot to do before building inspection next week.
[Paranoid]

It will be this Wednesday. I've gotten a lot done, but

[Eek!] [Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have set a date for starting the total declutter of the study /spare bedroom. 5th July. And I'm getting excited just thinking about it. [Yipee]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Shrew, would you like to come and sort out my Brownies clutter, pleeeeeeeease? [Big Grin] I took over a unit last September, and have inherited the most terrific amount of pens, pencils and paper, not to mention old resources! I've sorted out the absolute dross, but now have several boxes on my landing of 'too good to bin, not sure I want it' stuff. They've been there since October half-term, so have probably taken root by now...! [Hot and Hormonal]

On the bright side, I did declutter my bedroom a bit by putting away my mountain of clean clothes. So the floor around half the room is visible...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016