homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
I've done it! I've taken the fabrics and dress patterns to the charity shop. They were happy to take them. So I am seeing it as a charitable donation.

I couldn't work up the energy to try a car boot sale. When I get into a decluttering frame of mind I need to get the stuff out quickly.

I feel quite drained. I had a huge emotional investment in the things and they have bothering me for a long time.

Perhaps I will be able to start making things with the keepers now.

My resolution is not to acquire another stash, not even sale bargains, but only to buy what I need when I need it.

Congrats.

I went home yesterday after work, pulled out one box of books, unloaded them all, and then promptly packed them all back in again with one exception - which is now taking the place of my bedside book after I finished the last one the other day...

Not very successful yet on my part!

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Thyme! That's really something to be proud of, accepting that the space is more useful to you than a *possible* financial return.

Mr S took two boxes of Stuff to the charity shop today. Hooray. Now back to the nagging re putting the rest of the stuff on eBay - I feel like Marge Simpson without the blue hair, practising her least nagging tone 'Homie ...'

Mrs. S, applauding other people's achievements [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tidied the junk cupboard yesterday - you know, the cupboard you throw stuff into to tidy for visitors. It's my version of the cupboard under the stairs.

I had to take most of the stuff out of it so that electricians could replace my fuse box yesterday so took the opportunity to tidy up, throw things out and generally declutter a little bit. I can now get the Hoover in easily without having to shove it in and close the door swiftly before it falls out again... Massive win.

Last month I had a good sort out of books and magazines because someone gave me two new 8ft bookshelves to add to the two I already had... My books are a lot more organised now and I got rid of some magazines that I'd moved with from Birmingham ... [Hot and Hormonal]

I also went through my yarn stash and fabric stash and tidied them. I was pretty ruthless and got rid of quite a lot of fabric in particular, and whilst doing so found a blouse I used to love that had been retired to the fabric pile because it was too small. It now fits perfectly, so that was nice and felt like a good return for my efforts.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books are the bugbear of the literate peripatetic. I used to go through them each move and keep all the ones I thought I might read one day etc. One Big Move I took the opposite tack. I kept only those that were either signed by the author or inscribed to me as a gift from someone I could still remember, on the basis that ALL the others could be replaced. It was magic. Not psychologically easy, but I got rid of many more than I retained. And all the rest went to a charity shop, of course. In fact, I was aided in the task by the manager of the shop in question, which also helped.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Little Miss Methodist! And great that you found the blouse and it fits. Fabulous.

Sergius-Melli - well, progress not perfection is the watchword. At least you got them all back in the box again and not on the shelf! I've done that sort of thing many a time and just put everything back on the shelf or in the cupboard.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My next decluttering task is the bookshelf on the landing - mostly pulp fiction so that should be easy, yes?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After eight years of doing virtually nothing in my house (difficult to care when you're working full time and madder than a bagful of weasels) I made a major decision. I put an ad for someone to help me sort and clean my house on gumtree. I got a ridiculous 78 replies and I think I've found the right person.

She's starting in a fortnight and she's going to do four hours a week for five weeks to work with me to declutter and clean and then going down to two hours a week just as a normal cleaner.

This is a huge weight of my mind as things had got so bad that I didn't even know where or how to start but working with someone should provide the motivation to get my house back.

Wish me luck because it's going to be quite a stressful experience.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decluttered the fridge of jars. The jar half full of mouldy duck fat was easy to throw out. The jar half full of mincemeat from Christmas 2011 - well, I'm not sure. It smells fine, & I've mixed it with half a jar of apple puree and a slug of calvados...butI am just not quite sure whether to use it. What would you do?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I have decluttered the fridge of jars. The jar half full of mouldy duck fat was easy to throw out. The jar half full of mincemeat from Christmas 2011 - well, I'm not sure. It smells fine, & I've mixed it with half a jar of apple puree and a slug of calvados...butI am just not quite sure whether to use it. What would you do?

I would use it. In fact I did use last year's mincemeat with a nice slug of brandy added.

The mince pies were delicious.

My Dad used to work in a Christmas pudding factory (yes-really!) and they always put the left over puddings from the year before into the new mix.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
The jar half full of mincemeat from Christmas 2011 - well, I'm not sure. It smells fine, & I've mixed it with half a jar of apple puree and a slug of calvados...butI am just not quite sure whether to use it. What would you do?

I used 2011 mincemeat in 2012's mince pies spiced up with extra brandy, and it tasted just fine! I suspect that there may have been some 2010 mincemeat blended into that too. [Biased]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it hadn't been opened, I wouldn't have a problem. It is the fact that it's been opened (albeit in the fridge) for over a year that makes me pause...

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister has an absolutely gorgeous recipe for Christmas Pudding Ice Cream. It sounded very similar to this one for Mincemeat Ice Cream.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ice-cream sounds delicious! (Both kinds - I love Christmassy flavours.)

In our attempts to declutter, we actually have more clutter than before! We've bought several new storage cupboards and trays, which are currently in the dining room in various states of self-assemply. Two of them are for the spare bedroom, but can't go in there until we've emptied and un-assembled the dressing table in there that will be given to mother-in-law. It's getting a bit complicated... [Eek!]

On the plus side, we've bought another, bigger Hippo bag, so this shouldn't create a new Mess at the side of the house. And we can finally dispose of the office chair and bird table that are still lurking down there.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Chive. I hope your helper really helps, and the process is useful on more than just a practical level.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

If it hadn't been opened, I wouldn't have a problem. It is the fact that it's been opened (albeit in the fridge) for over a year that makes me pause...

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mince pies this Christmas were made with mincemeat left over from 2011 mincemeat. It was in a plastic tub - probably a kilo, or a kilo & a half's worth originally - which had been opened and half used, then kept in the larder cupboard ever since. I added cranberries and cointreau to one trayful of pies, and added some even older crystalized ginger to another.
No-one seems to have suffered any nasty after-effects.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I put on weight just reading that wonderful ice cream recipe!

Bring it on!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mr S took two boxes of Stuff to the charity shop today. Hooray. Now back to the nagging re putting the rest of the stuff on eBay - I feel like Marge Simpson without the blue hair, practising her least nagging tone 'Homie ...'
A combination of disgusting weather here on Saturday and a free listing weekend on eBay did the nagging for me - I had just decided NOT to say anything when Mr S voluntarily fired up TurboLister. Man what a pain - it took both of us *4* hours to get 23 items loaded. [Ultra confused]

There are 49 people watching one item! [Yipee]

And anything that doesn't get sold can go to the tip - I'm sorry, the Domestic Refuse Recycling Facility. [Devil]

Mrs. S, busy collecting packaging materials

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are redecorating and thus theoretically decluttering room-by-room. Today I took boxes 25-28 of obsolete teaching resources and other long out-of-date paperwork to the recycling dumpster at the local dump [with more still to be sorted]. We have given away ten boxes of teaching materials to a young student, with another four waiting to be delivered.

The issue is going to be disposing of the redundant shelves and chests of drawers now cluttering our rumpus room, while lounge, dining, master bedroom and study look shiny and new.

We also have thousands of books, but in the end will probably donate the ones no longer of interest to us to our regional university, which stages a massive annual book sale occupying the whole floor space of the Great Hall.

It's a huge task, but after nearly 35 years of marriage, and a cumulative 74 years of teaching, we really need to savagely cull our collections. The redecoration has been a strong motivator.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went into the Oxfam bookshop in next town today and organised the man there to come round some time in the next few weeks and pick up the circa 500 books that are currently in a pile on the spare bedroom floor.

It's starting....soon my house will be immaculate.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come I can lie in bed picturing things "I can get rid of that," "I never use that" but when I get up and see the same items in real life it is hard to impossible to put them in the "get rid of" box?

I swear things have claws and cling to you.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did a massive clean of the kitchen just after new year's, before my housemates came back from their holiday. Pleased to report that the "broken windows" theory has been working well, and they have been tidying up after themselves EVERY NIGHT so far since!! [Yipee]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

I swear things have claws and cling to you.

Yes!

My craft room is a complete overcrowded mess, so I have decided to sell most of my craft supplies (I have thousands of beads I will never use) on ebay. All that stuff has been weighing on my mind, so it is time to be rid of it.

Also, I will be taking one of my sets of china to give to my niece when we drive up north in October.

I have managed to talk the gander into giving two chairs away. Believe me, this is a triumph.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snowgoose:
I will be taking one of my sets of china to give to my niece when we drive up north in October.

Lucky you. The kids don't want my china, or grandma's china. They have their own tastes. Mostly, they don't want anything that can't go in the microwave or needs to be hand washed. I'll be putting Grandma's china out in the garage sale.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talk to the Grandkids before you do that--generations tend to pendulum swing.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I downsize in the future, I intend to pile all my spare belongings into one room and invite all the kids and grandkids over to take what they want. Then the rest can go to a charity shop.

But of course, when the time comes, I expect I will find it much more difficult than that.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Did a massive clean of the kitchen just after new year's, before my housemates came back from their holiday. Pleased to report that the "broken windows" theory has been working well, and they have been tidying up after themselves EVERY NIGHT so far since!! [Yipee]

Whilst I may have continued to avoid even contemplating sorting out books again, I did do the kitchen yesterday, spent the day emptying cupboards, cleaning them and then reorganising things so the space is used much more effectively. I also managed to throw/give away a couple of things I've had hanging around at the back of the cupboards never to be used... I feel like I did some good, albeit small, decluttering yesterday... [Yipee]

[ 16. January 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: Sergius-Melli ]

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a regular on this thread but saying this so you can hear and I have to report back.

I am currently going around the house collecting all the ridiculous piles of paperwork which are all over the place since the move. They are all going on to the table in the conservatory and then tomorrow is going to be Paperwork Day as I have no other commitments. My aim is for the table to be clear by the end of the day.

I may have to invite someone for Sunday lunch as extra table-clearing motivation.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Not a regular on this thread but saying this so you can hear and I have to report back.

I am currently going around the house collecting all the ridiculous piles of paperwork which are all over the place since the move. They are all going on to the table in the conservatory and then tomorrow is going to be Paperwork Day as I have no other commitments. My aim is for the table to be clear by the end of the day.

I may have to invite someone for Sunday lunch as extra table-clearing motivation.

Well, you've told us now Birdie - we'll be expecting you to report back [Smile] We may just turn up for Sunday lunch as well, of course! Good luck, we'll be rooting for you...

Mrs. S - whose paperwork needs decluttering also but it's in a filing cabinet! [Two face]

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ergh - plan thwarted by the arrival of a nasty cold. I've done a bit of sorting into piles of different categories, but my head is too wooly to make decisions about the finer details! Having a cup of tea then back to bed.

Satisfying amounts in the 'recycle' and 'for mr b to deal with' piles already though!

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister wrote:
quote:
When I downsize in the future, I intend to pile all my spare belongings into one room and invite all the kids and grandkids over to take what they want. Then the rest can go to a charity shop.

When my father died and my mother had to go into care, she gathered the three of us and divided her collection of crystal and china between us. While it was a small collection, some pieces from her glory box dating from the late 30's and into the 40's are now very valuable over and above the emotional and familial value which they hold.

My own children, now in their twenties and early thirties want to go through the same process before it becomes urgent, as we have all seen too many ugly family disputes arising from estates.

@snowgoose - My wife's craft room is much the same, and we have the overflow collection of ballet costuming resources in the rumpus room. For these reasons the craft room will be the last to be decluttered and redecorated. We have to finish every other room first so that we have moving and sorting space to deal with the craft room.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother and my grandmother stuck labels on the bottom of ornaments and glassware to denote who they were going to.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight tangent/ Does anyone know how to go about getting a vase valued, preferably for free? When my elderly neighbour died, she had a large collection of ornaments. Her family didn't want them all, and her grand-daughter gave me a vase, as she thought it went well with my wallpaper (it did!)

A few years later my mother claimed to have spotted the same vase on Antiques Roadshow and it was "very valuable" Obviously if it was valuable, I'd return it to her family, but I don't want to spend good money having it valued, based on something Mum saw on TV.

It's stamped Royal Doulton on the base, a solid pottery type of vase, rather than china, and it looks as though it was painted while wet, and the colours ran, giving a blurry effect. It's glazed.

I like it very much and hope that it's not worth anything!

/End tangent.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Slight tangent/ Does anyone know how to go about getting a vase valued, preferably for free? When my elderly neighbour died, she had a large collection of ornaments. Her family didn't want them all, and her grand-daughter gave me a vase, as she thought it went well with my wallpaper (it did!)

A few years later my mother claimed to have spotted the same vase on Antiques Roadshow and it was "very valuable" Obviously if it was valuable, I'd return it to her family, but I don't want to spend good money having it valued, based on something Mum saw on TV.

It's stamped Royal Doulton on the base, a solid pottery type of vase, rather than china, and it looks as though it was painted while wet, and the colours ran, giving a blurry effect. It's glazed.

I like it very much and hope that it's not worth anything!

/End tangent.

Have a look on-line. There are forums for pretty much everything where people will have a look at items for you and give you an impression of what they think about it.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this site. Do you see anything like your vase there?

[ 17. January 2013, 16:55: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
There's this site. Do you see anything like your vase there?

That links right back to this thread.
[Confused]

[link fixed]

[ 17. January 2013, 16:59: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I've had a look several times on google images to see if I could see it. There are dozens of different Doulton vases! There are vases with same colour scheme dating from the 1930s, valued at about £40-£60 pounds, but to my untrained eye, they look "better" than mine, in that they have a distinct pattern over a blurry background, whereas mine is all blurry IYSWIM.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Lot 54 (scroll halfway down) has a jug with the same blurry finish - but I'd say my vase is more attractive than the jug, because it has different colours melding into each other. It's a combination of strong colours (deep blue, pink, brown, yellow, bluey-green) and soft lines. Looks lovely full of pink carnations!
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about these.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Wow! Mine has two sets of initials on the base - JH and WK or WR or WB. Googling Royal Doulton JH hadn't provided an answer. Mine's a different size, shape and colour scheme but I've no doubt it's painted by the same person.
Thank you, Jengie Jon!

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Apologies for derailing the thread.

To return to decluttering - we have an aged king size duvet lurking, which wasn't going to be used again, but it seemed a pity to take it to the tip. Our vet, who does pro bono for a nearby animal sanctuary, has said it can be used to make a sick animal comfy. Apparently there's an ailing goat who will be very grateful! Result!

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Apologies for derailing the thread.

To return to decluttering - we have an aged king size duvet lurking, which wasn't going to be used again, but it seemed a pity to take it to the tip. Our vet, who does pro bono for a nearby animal sanctuary, has said it can be used to make a sick animal comfy. Apparently there's an ailing goat who will be very grateful! Result!

We give all our leftover bedding to a charity that helps resettle people who have been left with nothing (women fleeing abusive situations, homeless being housed, etc etc). I know yours has already gone to the goat*, but other shippies in that situation, please don't assume because you won't use it again it's only fit for the tip. Mr S was going to take an old set of bedlinen along to the food bank for onward transmission this morning - but as he has had to walk a mile or so through falling snow I relented and let him off till next week!

I tell all potential donors to look at their stuff from the point of view of someone who otherwise would have *nothing* - to cook in, sleep under, whatever, and it's surprising how much more appealing it becomes!

(end of sermon - sorry!) [Hot and Hormonal]

* better than going to the bad, or to the tip!

Mrs. S, unsure whether to be Good King Wenceslas or the page ...

[coding]

[ 18. January 2013, 09:58: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Wow! Mine has two sets of initials on the base - JH and WK or WR or WB. Googling Royal Doulton JH hadn't provided an answer. Mine's a different size, shape and colour scheme but I've no doubt it's painted by the same person.
Thank you, Jengie Jon!

There is a group on facebook that might be able to help you:

facebook

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to get rid of some functional but unsightly filing cabinets. So have started re-organising the contents into boxes and arch lever files.

But I didn't/don't have any clear plan for the filing storage alternative.

I've reached the stage where the room and the files are in chaos. It is as much effort to abandon the project and put everything back as it is to go on.

I think I am going to have to start again from scratch.

I have managed to get rid of some papers though.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about yer bog standard IKEA bookcase? Shelves can be adjusted to the height of the files/stacked boxes.

Insofar as any paperwork is organised in this house, it lives on the lower reaches of bookshelves in box files labelled 'bills', 'statements', 'important stuff' etc.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
What about yer bog standard IKEA bookcase? Shelves can be adjusted to the height of the files/stacked boxes.

Good idea, we have an Ikea here in Thyme City but I forget because it is new. It is an attic room so the walls are not full height. I will need to do some careful measuring. I think I need to get all the paper into boxes and files first so I know what amount of shelf space I need.

I don't have a good feeling about this. I think it is going to make the filing more difficult and therefore the old 'PILES' system will re-emerge. [Frown] The filing cabinets are unsightly but they do keep it all under control. Too late now.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to the snow, Mr Bug and I spent most of today decluttering. We now have a tall shelf unit in the bathroom for storing towels, loo rolls etc. Also two plastic shelving units in the spare bedroom, which I'm mostly using to store bed linen,although Mr Bug has commandeered two of them as his 'man drawers'. We've also hidden away the snooker table top that was previously in the dining room, so for the first time in several years I can access all of my bookshelves again. All in all, very productive. [Yipee]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
I don't have a good feeling about this. I think it is going to make the filing more difficult and therefore the old 'PILES' system will re-emerge. [Frown] The filing cabinets are unsightly but they do keep it all under control. Too late now.

There's really no better place for papers than filing cabinets! Can you paint the cabinets, or put them behind a curtain?

The only alternative I know is to buy lots of filing boxes and buy bookshelves to store them on.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

I don't have a good feeling about this. I think it is going to make the filing more difficult and therefore the old 'PILES' system will re-emerge. .

It's why I favour the open-top style of box file. You can see what's in there and when it fills up, you are prompted to decide whether you really need to keep 15 years worth of back whatever.
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I join you?

Six bags to the charity shop in last two days. Am renting out spare room for a few weeks which has galvanised me I to action. Spare room is supposed to be office but of course for last few years has basically been junk dumping ground.

Have still got a way to go though. Not to mention the other rooms.....

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016