homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] for UnF*** Your Habitat [Overused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's excellent!

Here is a link to simple but good habits.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, the desk declutter has begun. I have realised that I have a serious aversion to filing, and that this is a problem. I'm going to try 10 minute slots and see how I get on...
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I have just done cleaning up 2 file boxes. When the other file is done, it will be slimmer. Total time agonising: 1 year. Total time spent filing: 30 minutes,

[Eek!]

That sounds about right [Biased]
It is good to know that I am not alone in spending ages procrastinating over something that does not take that long, when I finally get down to it.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going to bite the bullet when done with the Ship reading/posting shortly and start exploring UFYH. [Smile] Fingers crossed!!

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by PeteC:
I have just done cleaning up 2 file boxes. When the other file is done, it will be slimmer. Total time agonising: 1 year. Total time spent filing: 30 minutes,

I can't bear to think of the amount of my life I have wasted like this!

Often the fact that I have not done what I ought to have done induces a sort of paralysis about doing anything else, especially anything I might enjoy! In fact I haven't enjoyed a lot of things because of the guilt about the undone thing I have been procrastinating over.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Often the fact that I have not done what I ought to have done induces a sort of paralysis about doing anything else, especially anything I might enjoy! In fact I haven't enjoyed a lot of things because of the guilt about the undone thing I have been procrastinating over.

I so relate to this - it's completely paralysing.

I am thinking about taking some time off work specifically to concentrate on the decluttering. 15 minutes a day doesn't work here, the house is far too full of stuff; I need some days of Slash and Burn first to clear the decks and get systems in place in order to move forwards. Case in point - had to clear the breakfast bar this morning to give the boiler man space to service the boiler. Among other things there were copies of the last two weeks of the local paper. What the heck were they doing on my breakfast bar? [Eek!]

I did used to be a Fly Baby but I couldn't keep up the pace. Maybe that other site is more up my street. [Biased]

Nen - determining to find other homes for the stuff that has no right in the kitchen.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Thyme:
quote:

Gosh, yes!

The study / bedroom is now decorated, so today's the day I start decluttering in earnest as I put things back into it.

It's also the day I start buying new stuff - the old blue bedside lamp and blue clock (the clock with the sellotape holding the battery in!) didn't go with the old pink/green colour scheme, but the whole place was such a mess that it didn't matter.

Today I start looking for a new lamp and clock.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Today I start looking for a new lamp and clock.

You will throw the old, broken ones away, won't you?

If not, it's not de-cluttering, it's re-cluttering ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who had clutter issues. These were greatly exacerbated by a messy divorce. She loaded all her possessions into a rented storage unit and lived a nomad life for some time.

Around here a storage unit costs about $100 a month, a considerable sum if you are on a limited income. Even with the prospect of saving this sum before her, she was unable to declutter. I tried to help her sort and get rid of stuff; it took years. And the saddest thing was, in year 2 or 3, when we carried stuff from the storage unit to the dumpster and popped it in. (Unhelpfully, I suggested just piling everything up, applying some accelerant, and throwing in a lighted match.)

She confided that, if only she could send an email back through time to her younger self, she would have advised herself to just throw everything away at the outset, and pocket the money.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just ruthlessly de-cluttered the Japes clothing situation. Two bin liners full to go to the clothes recycling when I go that way next week.

Specifically I de-cluttered socks, T-shirts, rugby shirts, no-longer-necessary-for-work trousers and disreputable jeans. There's a remarkable amount of space in the wardrobe now, and still plenty of clothes to wear.

I think I can now treat myself to a new Scotland Rugby Shirt as the twenty year old one has just gone in the bag.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Desk declutter complete bar the filing. TOmorrow is wardrobe declutter day.. WHOOP! I treated myself to some new clothes in anticipation though... :S
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I failed to declutter much of my stationery. However, I now know I have enough envelopes to last for several years, they're all in the same place, and my drawers are much tidier.

I have dozens of postcards, mostly bought on holiday and then not written. I'm not sure what I can actually do with them, but it seems a shame to dump them in the recycling.

Today I reshelve my books. I only need to reduce my books by about one-tenth to fit them in.

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just had two days of near hysteria brought on by loosing various and assorted v-i-t-a-l stuff.

I Need To De Clutter.......
[Frown]

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
TOmorrow is wardrobe declutter day..

Oh, just keep pushing everything to the back and let the Narnians have it. [Smile]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip>
I have dozens of postcards, mostly bought on holiday and then not written. I'm not sure what I can actually do with them, but it seems a shame to dump them in the recycling.
<snip>

How about writing them now and sending them to surprised but delighted friends and family?

Cattyish, uses free postcards for quick notes a lot.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An emergency tidying mission last weekend (I got out my sewing machine buy the power cord was missing so I had to go through boxes till I found it) made me realise that I still have not unpacked even half the spare room boxes since moving in. I'm feeling quite fired up to tackle it though - hoping that lasts for a few weeks as the sewing project is rather mammoth and has a deadline in the first week of August.

I have been looking at unf*ck your habitat - thanks so much for that link, it is encouraging me to start making little habits like always putting shoes away which will hopefully help long term.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was the one good piece of advice my late and not-very-lamented Uncle Len gave me - 'Don't put it down, put it away!'

Once you HAVE decluttered, this is essential! [Cool]

Mrs. S - now guaranteed uncle-free [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Postcards are gratefully received by charity shops....i know, i get mine there!

Genuine question, how does cluttering up our homes start? Is it genetic? Or learned behaviour? Is it a response to something in our lives? Or laziness?
Only asking as i would Love to be done with it once and for all and maybe knowing Why i do this might just help me.....

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question Ethne Alba.

My Mum and Dad were the tidiest people I have ever known, so it certainly wasn't learned behaviour for me! My Dad said he was tidy because he was lazy (didn't want to have to tidy up) and I am just beginning to understand his logic as my house creeps towards having "a place for everything and everything in ts place".

Why it has taken me so long I have no idea!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody has decluttered three dinner plates from my kitchen cupboard! I have no clue where they might be, and I'm sure we haven't broken them [Confused]

(embarrassing, as I really need a dozen for tonight and would have liked them to match *sigh*)

That may be the downside to being organised - as Boogie says, a place for everything and everything in its place - that when you know where everything is, if it isn't, you are completely flummoxed (to put it politely).

Mrs. S, scratching her head

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found that survivors of the Depression find it difficult to get rid of stuff. Of -course- there is a use for all those styrofoam meat trays, they will come in handy for something some day! Hard times taught them to be fanatically thrifty.

Not that this is any excuse for us younger people.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum was a major declutterer, my dad a hoarder, and I'm something of a hoarder too and certainly not good at tidying. We were at Nenlet1's house for lunch and she and her husband keep their house really clean and today... puts me to shame... but son in law is also tidy... unlike Mr Nen...

Nen - loving the way Mrs S's decluttering also extends to her relatives. [Killing me]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Nen - loving the way Mrs S's decluttering also extends to her relatives. [Killing me]

Still a way to go on that one, Nen!

Mrs. S, who still finds her relatives more of a trial than the decluttering [Help]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that decluttering some of my relatives would be wonderful!!

I've got a little list, I've got a little list;
and there'll none of them be missed, there'll none of them be missed!

Sorry for that - back to the topic...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think today's it's got to me. Maybe it's the unreachable cobwebs in the stairwell. Or the walk-cupboards that are mini rooms (two have windows) - that haven't been dusted in decades. Or the falling plaster that needs repair - but where am I going to put the stuff that has to be displaced to get access? So much stuff I can't clear out on my own cognisance. And for what I can, how can I physically get it out of the house to the recycling centre or wherever?

How do you start to tackle a lifetime of Stuff?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One bag at a time, Firenze. [Votive]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

So Mr Nen went clothes shopping yesterday and vowed he would declutter his wardrobe to make room for the new things. He just asked for my help with this... as usual it involved squeezing as much as possible into the spare room wardrobe to make space in his already full-to-bursting double-wardrobe-with-shelves. Completely resistant to the words "charity shop" and "clothes bank." [Roll Eyes] [brick wall]

I, meanwhile, have nearly cleared the paperwork that was on my breakfast bar so it's not all bad.

Nen - humming "One bag at a time, Firenze" to the tune of a well-known hymn. [Biased]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I struggle most, I think (?) with the "everything is messy and each element screams at me in the same shrill voice" issue, so I wind up never actually starting and finishing, well, anything. [Help]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... humming "One bag at a time, Firenze" to the tune of a well-known hymn. [Biased]

Oh good - it wasn't just me then ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Ouch. Except I'm hearing it to the tune of the 1970s sitcom theme song... [Ultra confused]

But now...

So are you.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Ouch. Except I'm hearing it to the tune of the 1970s sitcom theme song... [Ultra confused]

But now...

So are you.

[Snigger]

Nope. Must have been before my time.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

May be a Pond thing - it doesn't ring those bells with me. I was remembering it as a song by Lena Martell that clogged up the Charts many moons ago.

Sorry - that was a bit of a tangent. Back to the de-cluttering ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea either.

My housemate's have started to pack (their moving van arrives tomorrow) so the house is utter chaos. I want to start packing my stuff but there's no space anywhere for the boxes!

An ex took me out for dinner last night and gave me a half doz large cardboard boxes. He did always know how to woo a lady [Biased]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ecumaniac:
quote:
My housemate's have started to pack (their moving van arrives tomorrow)
[Eek!] Do they not have very much stuff then?

It took us two weeks to pack last time we moved, and even then we were feverishly flinging things into boxes until midnight the night before...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh, here you are then. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Silver linings and all that - having discovered that three large dinner plates had absconded (when required for Saturday night) I put in a business case for some new plates. 48 hours later I have 12 each of small plates, large dinner plates and cereal bowls, square, in plain white porcelain.

The remains of three other sets (maybe 16 dinner plates, 19 tea plates and 20 cereal bowls) have been ruthlessly decluttered for reuse by a local charity, and the cupboard looks beeyootifully tidy.

[Yipee]

Mrs. S, very pleased with herself [Overused]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I washed EVERY. SINGLE. DISH. tonight.

(Yes, all of them, ALL of them, were dirty. Most of the cups too. There were about 12 cups on the coffee table that had sat there accumulating for ... a while now.)

Top terrifying thing to say to your partner while doing dishes:

"Cubby... when DID we last have peas?"

[Eek!]

And now that I have run some white vinegar through the dishwasher, I'm going to keep the dishes clean...

(By the way, it's truly amazing--in an OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT STENCH kind of way--what happens to dirty water when it's between a few plates, creating an anaerobic environment for an indeterminate period of time but probably more than a week, and then you separate those plates. Seriously. The shock wave of smell traveled from the kitchen to the living room and Cubby was horrified when it "hit.")

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Top terrifying thing to say to your partner while doing dishes:

"Cubby... when DID we last have peas?"

[Eek!]

Reminds me of the - probably apocryphal - story of the person who commented after colonic irrigation, "But I haven't had sweetcorn for weeks."

I tried the baking soda and vinegar thing (recommended by Unf**** Your Habitat) and all it seemed to do was make the kitchen smell like a chip shop. [Roll Eyes]

However, it's my day off and I'm gearing up for some serious decluttering. I have my sights set on the cupboard in the dining room. Although the box room also needs attention - living up to its name and full of boxes. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - suffering from Don't Know Where To Start Syndrome.

[ 24. July 2014, 10:47: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:

So where did you start? [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I washed EVERY. SINGLE. DISH. tonight.

Thank-you so much for this post, I've fallen into a black hole (other stuff, but always reflected by the state of my house) and I was making it worse by beating myself up for my mess. Reading about someone else's helped put it in perspective.

I have seriously considered allowing myself only one dinner plate, mug etc which would force me to find and wash them before reusing.

I use the cheapest white vinegar for cleaning and buy it in 2 litre bottles. I started doing that when I had Sam, a cat who delighted in spraying in unique and creative places. Thank goodness Geory-Porgy fat'n'fluffy is better behaved in that way, but I still miss Sam [Tear]

Corina, the human whirlwind is coming to help me clean and sort tomorrow [Yipee] .

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
quote:

So where did you start? [Smile]
The cupboard in the dining room. I didn't get very far with the decluttering but I did find the framed photographs that we moved off the mantelpiece to make way for the Christmas decorations and have hitherto been unable to find.

Nen - embarrassed about how seldom she opens some of her cupboards. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday and today I tidied the kitchen. I've been unwell for a month and we were drowning in mess, not helped by the fact that loading the dishwasher is dh's job and he appears to not think he needs to do it on a regular basis [Roll Eyes] but I tidied the sides and swept the floor and put all the messy stuff away. It actually looks like i could invite someone in.
My next task is to tidy up the pile of books and sewing behind my chair in the kitchen, and then attack my work shelves which are full of out of date text books and paper.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The Great Study Declutter week 3.

In my study/spare bedroom I have one small box of slides from the 1970s, one biscuit tin of negatives from the 1980s, 33 photograph albums, a dozen packets of loose photographs, a box of "big" photos (school photos etc) and half a dozen CDs of photos.

The albums take up two bookcase shelves, but are tidy and organised. The rest are clutter. Husband is suggesting that the answer is to scan the lot, and put the originals in the loft, but I don't really want to shift the clutter into the loft. Also, I'm assuming it would take hours and hours to scan in so many photos.

Has anyone else decluttered a collection of photographs?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I need to do this. When my sister died two years ago I acquired a large box of unsorted, unlabeled, disorganized photos -- old school pictures, family vacations, Dad's retirement, and people I can't identify. I've thrown away the unidentified (Dad's co-workers?), but every time I've tried to deal with the others I've had bad dreams. Everyone in those pictures is now dead except for me. That's pretty depressing. It also means I have no family to pass these on to. I really need to ask a friend to keep me company while I deal with this -- and then go out for dinner/a drink afterwards!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
but every time I've tried to deal with the others I've had bad dreams. Everyone in those pictures is now dead except for me. That's pretty depressing.... I really need to ask a friend to keep me company while I deal with this -- and then go out for dinner/a drink afterwards!

Put the photos in a pile or box and light a candle, maybe put an icon on the table, or cross or flowers or somesuch. Burn some incense if you like it. Make a little shrine. Say some prayers of blessing and commit their memories with love to God and pray that they rest in peace with Jesus. Sprinkle them with blessed water if you like. Having a friend round to share this ceremony and the disposal is a good idea.

Basically you need to surround the emotions that these things are giving expression to in bad dreams with prayer and the healing power of the Holy Spirit and hand them over to God.

Then just get rid of the photos, put them in the bin outside or take them to the tip. I wouldn't go through them unless you think there are ones you want to keep.

quote:

Yes, I had to go through my parents collection after our father died. They weren't in the habit of labelling them and lots were shots of scenery, under/overexposed. Many of unidentified people, mostly probably long dead.

Talked it through with sister and dumped everything that didn't have some personal meaning for one or other of us or historic significance for the family archives. This got rid of about 90%. We then had an unfortunate misunderstanding as she thought I had taken the ones I wanted and decided she didn't want any of them and dumped the lot. Never mind. I never looked at them when I had them and haven't missed them.

I now have two large suitcases full of our own, that is Mr T and my and daughter's, memories and childhoods. I have promised myself I will go through them this winter during the long dark evenings and at least winnow them out a bit.

What I noticed going through the parents stuff was that it wasn't the shots of places that seemed worth keeping, it was the ones with people.

I think with ours I will just keep representative samples, best of breed sort of thing. Or ones with a particular memory attached.

What I will do with them when sorted I have no idea. One thing at a time.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Missed the edit window - afterthought:

I think it is the same with photos as with things, don't hang onto anything that has a bad memory attached to it.

And North East Quine, I'm with you on the scanning and storing the originals in the loft. That is just shifting the clutter from one location to another. If it's clutter it needs to leave the house.

If it needs preserving and scanning is the way to do this then it is not clutter. But whether you need to keep the originals after scanning I don't know.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Digitising photos is something that you can pay people to do for you.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I decluttered two broken keyboards into the bin. Elder teenager has retrieved them from the bin as apparently they could be used for "an art project."

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Digitising photos is something that you can pay people to do for you.

This is what I did with all my dad's slides and cine films. It was worth every penny - I then created collections for relatives containing pics or clips of them and their loved ones.

However, I've still not got around to disposing of the slides and cine films - they are in a cupboard mentally labeled "for when I am particularly ruthless".

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016