homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia:
quote:
My nightmare is that said cat will learn to open the fridge...
But why would the cat bother learning to open the fridge when you are there to do it instead? [Biased]

Thanks for the good wishes, Wodders and moonfruit. My new mantra is 'books do not count as clutter'; we are going to Whitby for the day tomorrow and there is a very good second-hand bookshop there and an equally good independent bookshop. Obviously it is my civic duty to ensure that they both stay in business; after all, if I declutter everything else there will be plenty of room for more books.

Good luck with the filing, Mrs Shrew.

[ 15. August 2014, 19:11: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
...after all, if I declutter everything else there will be plenty of room for more books...

Not quite yet but I can see a possible future conflict arising here between room for books and room for teddy bears so I am seriously considering a special set of shelving in my bedroom to accommodate the bears.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
North East Quine, it sounds like an enormous project, I am cheering you on! (also I am going to do some "just about before" photos now, as that sounds like a very good plan....)

I managed a good two hours of filing last night before dinner, and I think I am starting to make headway. All the paper is in such a mess that I am starting by sorting it into groups and will put it into chronological order at a later stage - thankfully I have my newish filing cabinet and a load of hanging suspension files which is making life much easier.

I like your theory about books Jane R! We are off to whitby tomorrow (Sunday), but I really must try to avoid additional books as our shelves are completely overflowing! When I get enough floor space, the spare room will be getting an extra bookcase.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

Nen - keeping busy. [Smile]

I hope that's not an ironic smilie, Nen! Thinking of you, anyway (())
It's a tad strained. [Roll Eyes] Thank you for your concern, Mrs S. [Axe murder]

I'm in the process of clearing out another kitchen cupboard and have my sights set on the aforementioned corner of the dining room.

Nen - uplifted by the kindness of Shipmates.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just begining the major you-have-been-in-this-house-for-half-decade-thereis-no-excuse-for-not-having-place-for-everything tidy up. Just put together the storage bed I purchased to assist this - immediately leaving me with the what shall I do with the disssembled old bed too battered to sell but too much decent wood to bin dilemma. I am aware that thinking I could keep the bits and make that wood into something is a snare and a delusion, or rather, some part of me is aware that ....

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freecycle.

Or, take it to your local council recycling depot.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I am seriously considering a special set of shelving in my bedroom to accommodate the bears.

We have two of those, but then we do have rather a lot of bears ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God, I hate taking out the trash.

Mind you, our dumpster has to be driven to, as it's at the other end of the apartment complex, so that is probably a factor.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Freecycle.

Or, take it to your local council recycling depot.

You are probably right, I am definitely doing a tip run anyway.

I have been surfing the web for organisational tips and finding it unusually unhelpful. There is lots of stuff about getting over procrastination or dragooning your children (I have no dragoons). But there is nothing about how to categorise your gubbins. This is my main issue, do you store your cameras with your media, or your binocculars - does your rucksack go with camping stuff or with suitcases ?

Each decision in itself is trivial, but there are many of them and its the indecision that slows me to a crawl.

What I want is some home guru to have a list that goes you have these x number of categories - use them !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask yourself, if *I* were to go looking for whatever, where would I look first?

And that's where you put it.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Unfortunately, for basically my whole life, the answer to that has been either a) think back to where I last remember seeing it or b) in that massive pile of stuff, covered with a throw, that I haven't sorted.

I could adapt a pre-generated list, its doing one from scratch that kills me.

I have started some general categories, but need something more comprehensive.

On amore positive note I have almost finished transferring the disassembled bed to the car for this afternoon's tip run. And bagged the clothes to take too [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with giving you a prearranged list is that it depends on what space is available for storage. My rucksack lives with my camping and other outside sports gear in a trunk in the hall, my cases are on top of my wardrobe in my bedroom filled with out of season clothes. But I am most likely to use the rucksack to do anything and only rarely use a suitcase.

I need to arrange storage for craft stuff which is currently in a cardboard box having been emptied out of the desk they were in, it having been repurposed, and I need to find a storage solution that will work for me.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Unfortunately, for basically my whole life, the answer to that has been either a) think back to where I last remember seeing it or b) in that massive pile of stuff, covered with a throw, that I haven't sorted.

I don't think you need a lost then. In fact, I think "where I saw it last" could work perfectly fine for you.

So what if the cameras are stored on the book shelf next to the cleaning products which are next to the dvd? As long as there is *a* place where they are stored safely, then fine!

Eventually you might notice that actually, it would be more convenient for me if the cleaning products were stored in the linen cupboard instead of in the lounge by the TV, but that's a natural thing that comes out of how your house is set up and how you live in it. Not because some stranger on the internet told you so.

Make the first step to get the random piles of stuff put away, somehow, get more storage/throw stuff away etc.

It doesn't matter where things are stored as long as you can find them.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I organized my kitchen on principles of laziness. So glasses are next to the fridge, where the milk/juice/water lives; dishes are between fridge and dishwasher, so I can put the freaking things away without having to walk. Spatula/wooden spoons/etc. are next to the stove, where I use them. Stuff that rarely gets used (e.g. baking stuff) is in the farthest, most inconvenient corner. [Biased]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I organized my kitchen on principles of laziness. So glasses are next to the fridge, where the milk/juice/water lives; dishes are between fridge and dishwasher, so I can put the freaking things away without having to walk. Spatula/wooden spoons/etc. are next to the stove, where I use them. Stuff that rarely gets used (e.g. baking stuff) is in the farthest, most inconvenient corner. [Biased]

Exactly, LC! [Overused]

Mrs. S, recognising a kindred spirit

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have returned from the tip having got rid of a jam-packed carload of stuff. (It turns out the answer to how do you get a whole double bed frame into a tiny car is, with an axe [Big Grin] )

[ 17. August 2014, 15:32: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One word: baskets.

At one point I bought a lot of rectangular, stackable baskets in, I think, T K Maxx. I discover two of these, side by side, exactly fitted an IKEA Billy bookcase. Result as far as jewellery-making, haberdashery and stationery goes. Log baskets = fabric, yarn. Sundry smaller baskets - the current project.

Coat hooks. Bags. Put stuff in bags, hang from hooks.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nice system for a craft room [Smile]

One thing I have got is plenty of storage, it is all about getting stuff from floor to storage in a sensible system. (Previous attempts at decluttering have fallen into the trap of getting more storage, but not getting rid of any actual stuff.)

I have chucked some plastic chests of drawers, well their frames, I have kept the drawers as they are the right height to use in the ottoman bed to organise whatever I put in there.

I have eight deep shelves and a bedside cabinet left to fill in the bedroom (not including clothes storage, I have sorted them). The shelves are too deep to easily reach the back, so last abortive declutter attempt I bought decorative boxes for each shelve, and I still have these.

In the study I have waaaaaay too much old paperwork, much of which needs burning or shredding, but I do have a two drawer filling cabinet for what I need to keep. In addition to obligatory bookcase(which is full), I have an ikea shelving unit which is currently a mess, I have two decorative boxes intended to hold stationary for that.

I do think I might need to put up some shelving in the spare room though - I have no obvious place for my music books.

[ 17. August 2014, 16:19: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering about looking out for something with drawers, lots of little drawers, for the craft stuff. The plan is to keep an eye out for something second-hand in the charity shops and repaint it to fit where it's going. I have a five drawer chest of drawers, square-ish, tallish, tucked into a corner between doors in the hall that stores hats and gloves in the top drawers and tools in the bottom drawers. It cost practically nothing, is pretty hideous laminate under the paint job and new handles, but is painted to match the hall.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Consider getting a label maker so you know what goes where. Basic ones are about 20 quid from whsmith or staples etc.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only started out to refill the pepper grinder.

An hour and a half later I have decluttered not only one kitchen cupboard, ridding myself of endless small quantities of borlotti beans etc, but also the spice reserve. (Whose bright idea was it to have kitchen cupboards that stop eight inches below the ceiling, just the right height to store stuff and then forget it's there? [Mad] Which is why we have endless half-packets of herbs and spices).

Anyway, the 'active' spice drawer is all lovely and tidy and all the little jars are full again [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, standing for 'smug' this morning [Cool]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you deserve to be smug.

Well done!

Huia [Smile]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK:
quote:
I was wondering about looking out for something with drawers, lots of little drawers, for the craft stuff.
Depends how little the drawers need to be and how decorative you want them, but you might want to consider something like this. They're really for keeping screws and nails in but we got several from B&Q for our gaming miniatures - they're just the right size and can be padded with cotton wool if you're worried about your orcs (or whatever) being damaged in storage. They'd probably work for fiddly bits of crafting kit, too.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Progress. All the paperwork that still needs to be sorted is in six stacking 24 litre plastic boxes in the study.

There is no study stuff in any other part of the house. None. At all.

I'm aiming to reduce the boxes by half a box a day.
I think that's achievable.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well done !

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Talking diy storage I am cutting up the memory foam topper, that is now too small for my bed, to line the under bed storage drawers. My plan is to be able stick things in the foam the way you would in a camera bag and make sure things are unrattley [Smile]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Good work, DT!

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are going to try to move house! People are coming to look round! [Help] In addition to the [Help] I really need a "running around like a headless chicken in panic" smilie.

Oh well. I'm trying to see this as a positive - that the prospect of people coming to look will help me to declutter & keep the place tidy. She says, sitting on her arse, typing away on a laptop. Hm.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I have made a start in the dining room - pulled everything out of the corner and emptied a shelf in the corner cupboard. It is bin day tomorrow and I was determined to have a bin liner with some stuff in it to go out. This I have achieved, but the dining room looks dreadful now - stuff on the table that I don't feel strong enough to face this evening and bagfuls of stuff in the middle of the floor. [Help]

Nen - it has to look worse before it looks better, right? [Ultra confused]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First it gets worse, then it gets a lot better, Nenya.

We still have another two weeks before our nest empties. Will I still have clutter to keep me busy after then - oh, yes!!

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Will I still have clutter to keep me busy after then - oh, yes!!

That's the reassuring thing about clutter - it can always be relied upon to stick by you. [Biased]

I have a deadline for the dining room - Nenlet1 and son-in-law are coming for tea (in our house that means the main meal of the day, eaten in the evening) on Sunday. While I am not anticipating having all the shelves and drawers sorted, I do want to have the floor cleared and to be able to use the table - currently piled high with half empty files, papers and bubble wrap. I'm seeing a table cloth, flowers, wine glasses, candles...

Nen - better get my skates on.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
......I'm seeing a table cloth, flowers, wine glasses, candles...

What a lovely incentive - keep that image in your mind and it should really help.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's nothing quite like an impending dinner-party (even if it's only your own family) to switch on the de-cluttering gene.

Good luck! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets worse before it gets better is my mantra for most things housework related! Good luck Nenya - hope you have a great evening.
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old Study: Emptied, sorted, restocked, and the paper recycling bin is almost full

Kitchen: utensils drawer emptied, scrubbed clean, restocked.

Living room: Ikea was visited! Telly wall mounted. Audio sorted. Large books relocated. Storage boxes repositioned

Spare room: Departed Relative Belongings await family decision

Cupboard under stairs/ new porch area/ garage-to-be/ front garage are all....... [Waterworks]

Gardens both blitzed, to nil effect tbh.....

Yesterday we both forgot that it was our wedding anniversary....too busy!

[ 23. August 2014, 11:34: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am dipping my toe in very gently but was surprised how much I got done in two 20 minute tidying sessions yesterday. It feels possible that one day we might have worked out where things live in this new flat and so be able to put them away.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!

[update: wall-long bookcase blitzed and nine bags of books to charity shop this afternoon]

[ 23. August 2014, 14:10: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found my mother a major help with de cluttering! She came round and was ruthless in the baby's room, so we now have a today room ready for a baby!

She's coming over on the first September again and we're going to tackle the living room. Which isn't too bad, but still has renments of clutter from the extension, and there are a couple of glory holes that need sorting but I've just not got the spoons to do it.

Mum was really good last time in not letting me do too much, she understands pregnancy much better than chronic illness and could relate to it so was telling me to rest and making sure I was comfortable.

Interestingly she was very concerned that the mister would be cross at the work they'd done, especially when my step dad put up some shelves for us!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Congratulations!

[update: wall-long bookcase blitzed and nine bags of books to charity shop this afternoon]

I am impressed with your list !

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have discovered incinerating old bank statements is a lot more relaxing than shredding them.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JoannaP I hope the toe dipping is helping you.

I find it important not to try to do too much otherwise it gets overwhelming and you Just. STOP. which is especially awkward if you have just emptied a box or cupboard...

For my own efforts, the filing cabinet is done, and it felt so good last time post arrived to take back statements straight up to put away (after checking them quickly)
Yesterday afternoon I rearranged some furniture in my living room. Not quite a declutter really, as the only thing that got removed was an empty whisky bottle from when I emptied and refilled the alcohol cupboard in order to move it.
Nonetheless, it looks so much smarter and I'm really happy with it. I have talked to Mr shrew about getting a little TV unit, as currently the TV lives on top of the largest nesting coffee table. It's ok but not ideal.

I know it sounds like recluttering but actually I think having better organised furniture helps me to keep the clutter under control.

This morning we are shopping for shoes and trousers for Mr shrew for work. This afternoon, I need to remove the old/worn out/non fitting ones.

I'm also hoping to do some serious tidying in the spare room as when we moved in, we opened out the extending (drop leaf) table and put boxes both on it and under it. I've been trying to clear it for a while, but only in a fairly laid back way. However we are having friends round on bank holiday Monday to play the board game we received as a wedding gift link to game

It needs all the table space in the world and more so I really do need to try to excavate the drop leaf table. Still, there's nothing like a deadline to provide motivation!!!

(Edited to fix link)

[ 24. August 2014, 08:21: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Second tip run completed, having this much crap to get rid off feels like a very first world problem.

Next up - more paperwork sorting - I shall clear the study !

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Well done Doublethink!

I successfully excavated the drop leaf table, and made a huge difference to the living room.
(apologies for the broken link previously. I thought I had checked it but obviously not.)

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am currently continuing the decluttering by watching netflix with a coffee, whilst keeping an eye on the incinerator fullo all my old university coursework [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

So that's the feel-good factor out of the way.....
Now here's hoping we don't allow it to all build up again [Roll Eyes]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

That's always the battle isn't it. It is a bit like dieting I think.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Very much so

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The holiday suitcase and bags are unpacked, almost everything is tidied away and the laundry is done.

I have even started catching up on paperwork. Got rather irritated because business people wouldn't answer the phone, and I wanted to get on with my stuff, then realised it is a Bank Holiday. [Hot and Hormonal]

Then I realised I could happily and responsibly procrastinate. [Two face]

[ 25. August 2014, 13:31: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Excellent !

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:

Now here's hoping we don't allow it to all build up again [Roll Eyes]

I have been decluttering money-off vouchers which expired in 2007, guarantees for electrical items which went to the recycling depot years ago, information sheets about school trips which were forthcoming in 2006, and I've found a library book which we paid for, having given it up for lost in 1998.

I'm telling myself it would take years to build up that level of dross again.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016