homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*highfive*

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
...I'm telling myself it would take years to build up that level of dross again.

...or, in my case, about 10 minutes!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
...I'm telling myself it would take years to build up that level of dross again.

...or, in my case, about 10 minutes!
That long? [Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to build up those habits that help things like trash and dishes get done regularly...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
......I'm seeing a table cloth, flowers, wine glasses, candles...

What a lovely incentive - keep that image in your mind and it should really help.
We had a lovely evening and there was a table cloth, and wine glasses and candles. [Smile]

There was also a lot of stuff whisked upstairs into the spare room. [Biased]

However, progress is being made. The recycling bins and bags were very full when they went out this morning and the cupboards in the dining room have a couple of empty shelves. There's still so much to do [Help] but it won't get done by me sitting and moaning about it. [Roll Eyes]

I work hard to keep the sink clear - I hate coming down to last night's tea things or coming back from work to the breakfast stuff. I wash some or all of the cooking pans after I've dished up and before I sit down to eat. I rinse the crocks and cutlery and get them into the dishwasher before I sit down for coffee. We eat breakfast in the kitchen and I'm constantly up and down rinsing stuff for the dishwasher as it gets used. Dishwashers are wonderful things - they make the kitchen look as though you've washed up when you haven't. [Axe murder]

Nen - off to cook and wash up. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, Nen, dishwashers are wonderful things. I have a surveyor coming next week to tell me whether it will be feasible (mostly financially) to move about some of the walls in my kitchen. I definitely plan to include a dishwasher in my new kitchen lineup, it might take a bit of creative design if the walls stay as dog-leggy as they are now though.

Unfortunately, said surveyor will arrive upon our return from a camping holiday while the detritus from a dance festival still hasn't found its way home. I foresee a busy Monday. Especially as the heavy canvas beast of a tent isn't likely to be dry when we take it down...

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TTP, if you want a dishwasher badly enough (and who wouldn't?) you can Find A Way.

We have a small one (24" rather than 30" wide), which is perfect for the two of us; you wouldn't think that 6" less width would make it so much easier to accommodate, but it does - especially if, like us, your kitchen hasn't got a specific space for it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I am going to tackle the front garden. Lord have mercy. I don't feel well either, so hopefully it'll be a distraction.

Oh bother, and I meant to add - glad you had a good evening Nenya!

[ 29. August 2014, 08:43: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fortnight home alone, relaxed and unpressured, and I am rather pleased with my achievements so far. Hopefully I can maintain the momentum once the boy gets home tonight and school starts next week.
I've used the cheating method of renting storage, but so far it's working. I'm sticking the clutter in there until the flat is how I want it (you'd still describe it as cluttered, but I quite like clutter as long as you can move safely from room to room - I'd never survive as a minimalist!) and then rehoming/binning the storage stuff at my leisure. Several loads of rubbish has gone already and there are a couple of bags waiting to go to the charity shop. I think now 80% of the clothing in the house is stuff we actually wear.
The kitchen and bathroom cupboards have been decluttered - plastic boxes now all have lids, apart from the ones I use for feeding the cat, and those bottles of unidentifiable, must-be-vintage-by-now bath stuff that I was keeping for a rainy day have gone to the big bubble bath in the sky.

Next job - paperwork. Where did I put the shredder ? (Hope I didn't declutter it!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

I've used the cheating method of renting storage, but so far it's working.

I have a friend who use to refer to it as "off-shore storage." Like money in an off-shore bank account doesn't count (for tax purposes), so things in off-shore storage don't count for clutter etc purposes.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like great progress Smudgie. The under-the-sink cupboard is on my list of things to tackle....

Front garden looking better. More to be done, though.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put up picture rail. Sanded and painted chest of drawers (for shoes in hall). Covered in paint but mild sense of achievement noted [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
That sounds like great progress Smudgie. The under-the-sink cupboard is on my list of things to tackle....

Oo, oo, I did that one yesterday. [Big Grin] Amazing how many sprays of all-purpose cleaner I had... [Eek!]

I'm currently decluttering the bathroom cabinet. Used toothbrushes, anyone?

I hope in time to have an organised routine, with a weekly focus area. At present it's more a case of "OMG, it's a mess in there as well, better get to it."

Nen - who does not want to talk about the spare room.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Had visitors - notable comment "oooh, you didn't used to be able to sit on that sofa" [Smile]

I am on the last furlong of sorting the storage bed.

[ 31. August 2014, 13:32: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Found home inventory apps [Big Grin]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decluttered two volumes of 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking'. They have survived several purges but now they are going. I feel sad about it even though I haven't actually consulted them for several decades.

Also a couple of items of clothing. I bought some new clothes yesterday and so some that I have never or rarely worn had to go.

I am looking at a shelf of poetry books. I rarely read poetry now and if I do want to read it I can usually find it online. I cannot remember when I last opened any of them. When I feel strong enough I will tackle them. I could probably get rid of some more 'God' books as well.

As for under the sink: I have two small cupboards that qualify for this description. One under the actual sink and one in the utility room.

When I moved in these were carefully organised. Now the one in the utility room is a mess. I really don't know how this happens. We have been here less than six months!

Monday was supposed to be the start of an Autumn renewed effort in cleaning, organising and decluttering. But a friend suggested that would be a good day to reschedule a day out we had to postpone earlier in the year, and there may be another get together as well during the week. So I can feel the energy and impetus for this housework draining away.

I came across a new to me housework/decluttering blog the other day. It is the Flylady principles repackaged to suit her own temperament. She is one of those who couldn't get on with Flylady, but she has come up with her own version.

a slob comes clean You'll either love her or hate her! I'm not sure which category I fall into but have been rather compulsively reading her blog and watching her videos.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I'm starting on another declutter of the books. Most of ours are currently stacked up in the box room, and as we don't plan to replace the shelves in our bedroom where these books have lived hitherto it's going to be a challenge to find them a new home; helpful, therefore, if there are fewer of them. I sometimes end up sleeping in the box room and I've lain there gazing on these books and thinking, "I don't think I've opened that one since I was at university..."

I've had a break from the decluttering for a couple of days as Nenlet2 has been home and we've been doing family things. Back to it tomorrow.

I did give A Slob Comes Clean a bit of a go but just found it irritating... [Hot and Hormonal]

Nen - off to empty the dishwasher.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

When I get to the end of the greater declutter, I need to order the books and scan them onto Librarything.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
When I get to the end of the greater declutter, I need to order the books and scan them onto Librarything.

Does anyone know of software for organizing and cataloguing music CDs? Unlike books, which are usually fairly basic (author, title, publishing info) CDs often have more than one composer per CD. If it's a CD of Bach's music, that's easy to alphabetize. But what if it's Baroque Trumpet Concertos by several composers? Also, some CDs feature the artist rather than the composer (let's say, Maurice André plays trumpet concertos). There has to be some way of organizing all of these. Any ideas?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This blog post is about organising sewing patterns, but the suggested apps could be adapted for music CD's I think. Also, there are tons of other suggestions for apps in the comments.

here

I decided to use Evernote for my sewing patterns, and when they are done I am going to use it for my CD's and books.

With the apps and Evernote you can put tags into the entry so all the different variables can be covered and easily found.

[ 31. August 2014, 19:44: Message edited by: Thyme ]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Sorry, I should have said, I think you search for database apps, if you don't want to read the post and comments.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

This might work, I've not tried it myself but I like the idea. You put the CD into the computer, and it pulls all the information from the internet.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Sorry, I should have said, I think you search for database apps, if you don't want to read the post and comments.

Thanks -- but I don't have a smartphone, so it has to work on my desktop. (I have searched for database software, but didn't have much luck.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
This might work, I've not tried it myself but I like the idea. You put the CD into the computer, and it pulls all the information from the internet.

I actually have that one bookmarked -- but I need to get an external CD drive for my computer. For some reason TPTB have decided that computers don't need CD drives anymore. That program did look promising, however.

--------------------
~Tortuf

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a lot in my bedroom done: All trash out and desk cleaned!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decluttering flummoxed me. I looked in the obvious places for my knitting needles last seen at a recent major declutter, and only after I bought some new-to-me ones (ridiculously cheap for bamboo) did I notice the cabinet inherited from my mother which was where she used to keep hers. I must have inherited the where-to-put-things from her too.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Decluttering flummoxed me. I looked in the obvious places for my knitting needles last seen at a recent major declutter, and only after I bought some new-to-me ones (ridiculously cheap for bamboo) did I notice the cabinet inherited from my mother which was where she used to keep hers. I must have inherited the where-to-put-things from her too.

Buying replacements is always the best way to find something that's missing.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Having tidied up, I couldn't find my shoes this morning - typical [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Enters, waves at all, introduces self as fellow declutterer.)

Three bags of clutter just left my house.

Three bags of containers and other organizational tools just entered my house.

I am not entirely sure that I am doing this correctly.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's properly organised and you need it, it doesn't count as clutter... or so I keep telling myself.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have bought two shelves to put in my bedroom, they are currently cluttering the bedroom floor until I get around to it!

The requires getting out both the drill and the vacuum cleaner - not difficult at all but each takes far longer than the drilling will require so...

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Buying replacements is always the best way to find something that's missing.

Especially when you've put the thing you've lost "in a safe place".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah, I can beat you on points, Wodders - we currently have my daughter's new bed (still in bits) spread over the living-room floor, although once we have finished putting it together and rearranged her room things should improve.
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I've got a small bag of stuff ready for the charity shop.

Put some things on Freecycle if they are not taken up very quickly they will go to the tip.

Asked Mr T to take something to the tip.

Still working up to another major book declutter. I've just noticed I've got two copies of 'Diary of a Country Parson' by James Woodforde. No idea how that happened or why I haven't noticed before.

I have just remembered I still have to get rid of all Dad's paperwork. It's out of sight and therefore out of mind.

I'm finding that as I go on, more and more things that escaped previous clearances are presenting themselves as ready to leave. Now though they are the smaller things.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

There's a box in the dining room for books which are to be decluttered. There are five books in it.

Nen - it's a start I suppose...

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have somewhat lost my decluttering oomph [Frown]

I fear it may now stall for another year [brick wall]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink can you give yourself a short holiday - because of what you have already achieved [Overused] a make a date when you will start back? I often use important dates (family birthdays, public holidays) to remind me that I will start the day after.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Parents are planning to visit in a couple of weeks - I would really like to have it done by then but I can feel myself starting to slip - I feel like if I stop I'll never restart [Frown]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My flatmates are currently decluttering the kitchen, while I sit on the floor. This is my level of decluttering! [Snigger]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Excellent!

I have tackled the under-the-sink cupboard. Disappointing lack of stuff thrown out. Mind you - 3 bottles of ceramic hob cleaner? A little extravagant I think.

All the best with the future bit, DoubleThink - could you have a really small bit scheduled for a couple of weeks' time, so at least you feel like you have a plan? When I have a big list of things to do, I always include a couple of things I've already done, so I can tick them off and feel righteous...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...When I have a big list of things to do, I always include a couple of things I've already done, so I can tick them off and feel righteous...

What a fabulous idea!

Thanks.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
...When I have a big list of things to do, I always include a couple of things I've already done, so I can tick them off and feel righteous...

What a fabulous idea!

Thanks.

I once employed someone because she did that - I'm sorry to relate that it was a Really Bad Idea! (employing her, not the to-do list thing, which I do myself! [Hot and Hormonal] )

Mrs. S, still wincing at that particular memory

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

I prefer to include a couple of jobs that will only take five minutes. Then I can do those first and tick them off and feel self-righteous - without cheating.

It would probably be just as quick to do them without writing them down on the list, of course.

However, the good news is that Daughter's new bed is now assembled and the boxes that live underneath it have been put back where they belong. They've been languishing in the spare room for about a month because the shop couldn't deliver the bed immediately (she broke the old one). So we haven't really decluttered anything, but the house looks considerably tidier!

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I prefer to include a couple of jobs that will only take five minutes. Then I can do those first and tick them off and feel self-righteous - without cheating.

Good grief, why call it cheating? It's a Technique devised to help those of us who are 'organisationally-challenged' to feel more in control of our lives - which makes it a Therapy. Probably ought to be available on the NHS ... [Devil]

And you only have to read Wodders' posts to know that just because something will only take five minutes, it doesn't mean that it will actually get done. Ever!

Mrs. S, ready to accept whatever help is going

[Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

quote:
quote:

What a fabulous idea!

Thanks.

My pleasure. How does the expression go? "If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning". [Big Grin]

In a last-minute-find-the-plimsolls exercise, I ended up decluttering the shoes under the stairs. Plimsolls weren't there, obviously, though I found them later. Also chucked out 1 pair of thoroughly worn out shoes, and have a nice little pile of too-small tap shoes to go to the dance teacher next week.

Also, not quite decluttering but - I made 3 phone calls I was hiding from - to the school office, the dentist and the hairdresser. So they're ticked off the mental list. (Darn it, I should now write one and tick them off!)

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Good grief, why call it cheating? It's a Technique devised to help those of us who are 'organisationally-challenged' to feel more in control of our lives... just because something will only take five minutes, it doesn't mean that it will actually get done. Ever!
That's true (that's why our bathroom sink only gets cleaned when we have visitors). Only it feels like cheating to me...

I should phone the hairdresser as well, but if I get my fringe cut short enough so I can see out I will just notice all the other stuff that needs to be decluttered! [Help]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
I have tackled the under-the-sink cupboard. Disappointing lack of stuff thrown out. Mind you - 3 bottles of ceramic hob cleaner? A little extravagant I think.

I found exactly the same when I did mine. The stuff we keep under our sinks is very useful stuff and really will get used in time - as long as we don't keep adding more of the same to the supplies. [Biased]

I've had a very productive day and have done everything on my "To Do" list. I love lists and do the thing of writing things on them I've already done, for the satisfaction of it. However, the other day I found I'd written "Make tomorrow's to do list" so I'm starting to wonder whether things are going a bit far. [Eek!]

Well done, assembled declutterers! [Big Grin]

Nen - still only five books in the recycling box, but on a roll generally. [Yipee]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm the same with toiletries - I seem to buy my favourites whenever they are on offer, and again when I run out. I really must rememembr to check first - if only I could remember where I stash these things!!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Yesterday I finally got Mr. S to go through his wardrobe, by which I mean one double and one single wardrobe, and seven drawers. Even so I forgot he had two under-the-bed drawers full of Stuff, plus another in one of the spare rooms! [Ultra confused]

But the upshot was, two blue IKEA bags out the door this morning on their way to the Clothes Bank, plus a dustbin half full of clothes hangers, and old clothes that were just too far gone for anything! (yes, I know the clothes could have gone for rags, but I wanted them all out asap. [Yipee] )

It did worry me a bit that the joy I felt was tempered with almost a physical pain as he refolded all his shirts The Wrong Way! He folds his with the sleeves inside - OK, for a long-sleeved shirt it makes no odds, but for a short-sleeved shirt it puts an extra crease in the sleeves and makes the whole package more bulky. Still, forty years of marriage teaches you what is entirely non-negotiable - doesn't it? He's out all day today so I may have to sneak in and refold them all [Devil]

Mrs. S, sitting on her hands

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I have enough toothpaste for the rest of my life I think.

I kept buying more (in bulk as they were on offer) so I had a new tube each time we went on holiday. Then with all the moving I couldn't remember where I had put them and had to buy more when the next holiday arrived.

Definitely going to declutter most of the poetry. Discovered that Mr T has a collected works of Shakespeare and it is all available online.

Decluttered a quantity of family papers. Tried not to look at too many except for the purpose of setting aside important financial info that has to be kept. Filled a bin bag and recycling box with 10 years worth of generally difficult memories.

It hasn't made much visual impact but I feel better for knowing it isn't there anymore and hanging over me.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016