homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  48  49  50 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family papers are so difficult to declutter. I have some going back to 17 years ago when I should have done something about them. I just push them further back into the wardrobe, and add to them occasionally.

I have just put 60 [Ultra confused] clothes hangers onto freecycle - if they don't get taken this weekend then they'll be binned. They were on top of the aforementioned wardrobe and so not in the way or anything.... just wondering what else is hiding like that.

Posts: 3179 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being quite a bit shorter than Mr. Plummer I often miss seeing clutter on top of wardrobes etc., which annoys him.

On the other hand, I spend quite a bit of time looking for things that turn out to be on top of cupboards. He can see them, but doesn't think to mention it, and I can't.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with books?

If they have to go in the bin, even the recycling bin, it feels like having an animal put down. [Frown]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 599 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ordered two more, secondhand, by post from UK last night - with the P&P they cost about as much as new ones!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I de cluttered my fridge door today. That is, removed the various money off vouchers, thank you cards, birth announcements, invitations, godson photos, appointment letters, recipes, and other Random Stuff, cleaned the door. And then out about half of it back on again, but at least it's tidier.

Luckily I realised that I'd included a £20 note in the pile of recycling papers in time to hunt through the bin...

Posts: 3246 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to sort my CDs I type, (and watch New Tricks).

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19194 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been re-organising my CDs - slowly getting them onto iPlayer and working out how to categorise them in my CD tower - there is so much overlap between categories.
Once I've got the CDs sorted I'd like to add my tapes to iPlayer too - I have a gizmo to digitise them.
With these all stored digitally I wonder how much I'll use the hard copy, so that will one day be a brave declutter.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Of course, I meant iTunes not iPlayer [Hot and Hormonal]
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daisydaisy, Mr. S bought a Cocktail Audio and loaded all our (~ 1000) CDs on to it. It took him 5 weeks, working almost full-time, to load all the details and cleanse the data. Then he backed it all up on to an external hard drive.

THEN he wrapped all the CDs in cling film, a batch of 10 or so at a time so they fitted into the CD racks; and humped all the racks into the attic, and put all the wrapped bundles of CDs into them. Thus neatly filling the attic we'd so lovingly cleared the year before [Confused]

Still, it gets them out of the sitting room, I suppose [Yipee]

Visited my mother the Dowager on Sunday, and she made a start on decluttering by giving me a Dartington salad bowl she said she'd never use (on the principle of one in, one out I compensated by getting rid of a cut-glass rose bowl I'd been given as a leaving present about a quarter of a century ago [Projectile] )

I also got her to agree to throw out an enormous bunch of dried and artificial flowers, over 6 foot tall - sadly in trying to lug this downstairs I stumbled and only saved myself at the cost of a few bruises from the terracotta pot they were in [Help]

Mrs. S reflecting that it's a start, anyway [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1397 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
daisydaisy - what are you using to convert your tapes so you can store them on i-tunes?

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few more books in the box for decluttering now. [Smile]

I'm using Flylady's suggested weekly zones so that when I feel I don't know where to start she has already told me. [Biased] This week it's the kitchen. I've decluttered my cupboard of spices and sauces, having smugly thought I didn't have anything out of date in there "It's not that long since I last sorted it..." I realised I was wrong on more than one account. [Hot and Hormonal]

Nen - to whom it is news that there's A Right Way To Fold A Shirt. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took out two bags of trash today!

I am hoping that if I take out two bags of trash every day when I get home from work then not only will the ones left in the kitchen (3 now down from 5) be gone in a day or two, but then every day I can empty wastebaskets into a trash bag and take them out with the kitchen trash.

This may waste some plastic bags but honestly I think it is a major step above having literally overflowing wastebaskets, paper trash and such on the coffee table, etc.

(Am I the only one who sees a filled kitchen trash can, sees there is no room in it for anything, and then, er, just leaves stuff on the counter which then starts accumulating?)

Since the dumpster is at the other end of the apartment complex (I literally have to drive to it), but is next to the mailbox, I can get the mail at the same time (and hopefully start throwing away the vast amounts of paper (ads, ads, and more ads) that comes in the mailbox too).

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Nen - to whom it is news that there's A Right Way To Fold A Shirt. [Eek!]

I know, I know, Nen - I appreciate how sad that is, but ... we were watching Only Connect (recorded) last night, and one of the guys had his shirt collar in such a mess that I could hardly concentrate on the answers [Confused]

But this - All Saints - is the only place I would ever admit that there are two ways to fold a shirt, my way and the Wrong Way; and when Mr. S was doing the ironing, I just used to refold my shirts while he wasn't looking - I don't grumble about it IRL!

The Compulsive Mrs S [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1397 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
there are two ways (snip), my way and the Wrong Way;

[Killing me] [Overused]

Very tempted to make it my sig.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
quote:
there are two ways (snip), my way and the Wrong Way;

[Killing me] [Overused]

Very tempted to make it my sig.

Be my guest!

The Flattered Mrs. S [Angel]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About a month or so ago I decluttered lots of old filing and I have now reluctantly come to the conclusion that the resultant pile of decluttered papers on the floor here will not move downstairs on their own - I think I am actually going to have to move them myself.

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could buy a powerful fan to waft them ...
Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nen:
quote:
...to whom it is news that there's A Right Way To Fold A Shirt.
You fold your shirts?! We always hang ours up.

Of course, that could be because we've never bothered to learn how to fold them...

I ought to persuade Other Half to declutter his wardrobe. There are shirts in there that are falling to bits and haven't fitted him for years; it's stuffed so full that the things he does want to wear are crammed up against the junk and get creased anyway. But I'm not sure I have the energy. Perhaps I should lead by example and declutter all the things I never wear from my wardrobe.

Posts: 3956 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Paper clutter from floor now in large, used, plastic paint bucket together with other papers for destruction that have been lying on the massage table in the other room for, erm, a day or two. Bucket now downstairs with request to Himself that the contents should be burned next time he plans a conflagration.

[Cool]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you find your passport??

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20431 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally lost the battle with our table....it'll take half a day now
[Frown]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My passport was in its proper place - or at least somewhere where I knew where it was.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dropped off a bunch of books for the Friends of the Library book sale today -- mostly fiction which I'll never re-read. If I do get a desire to read any of them, I can always borrow them -- from the Library!

I also sent off some greeting card fronts, unused cards, etc. to a church that makes them into scrapbooks for nursing homes.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9544 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re-sorted my cds and cleaned those that needed it with vodka.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
daisydaisy - what are you using to convert your tapes so you can store them on i-tunes?

Finally found it! I used Digitope to transfer tapes onto digital.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Nen:
quote:
...to whom it is news that there's A Right Way To Fold A Shirt.
You fold your shirts?! We always hang ours up.

Of course, that could be because we've never bothered to learn how to fold them...

What, even the T-shirts and polo shirts? We haven't enough hanging space even for formal shirts [Roll Eyes]

The whole point of the wrong/right way to fold shirts is only that I think my way minimises creasing, whereas Mr. S folds his with what Dorothy L. Sayers referred to as 'a maddening perversity of wrongness', i.e. seeming to be encouraging creasing, exactly where it will show most [Mad] And he isn't doing it badly to get me to do it for him - I just don't understand [Confused]

Mrs. S, whose role it is always to wrap the parcels [Smile]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:

Thank you!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decided today to declutter my work cupboard before my students start (I work from home for the Open University). I threw out several previous incarnations and revisions of the courses I teach, the endless mound of updated DVDs and unnecessary admin. I still have a pile of papers but plan on a campaign of sorting those and putting as much as I can on the computer. It was not only very liberating but also very necessary, as the course books look identical after they are re-written and it is rather disconcerting to find your reference on a different page to your students'. I now only have the recent mailings. I also now have a huge space ready for my own studies as I start a MEd in a few weeks.
I might start on the cupboard below now...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
What, even the T-shirts and polo shirts?
Oh right... I thought you meant just formal shirts. I don't think of T-shirts as shirts, and I don't HAVE any polo shirts. You are overestimating my sartorial elegance [Biased]

I have the same problem with Mr R, but I usually just avert my eyes when he does it to his clothes and have trained him not to fold mine at all - he hangs them over the back of a chair and then I put them away myself.

Of course, he hangs them in completely the wrong order because he usually does blouses and shirts first and then puts the trousers and jeans on top of them. [Roll Eyes] But you can't have everything...

[ 12. September 2014, 15:35: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3956 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:

Oooh tempting.

After lunch I am am going to catalog my books onto Librarything with CueCat and my netbook, (that I can now charge - after a year ! - because I found the cable after the great tidy up).

Cds are stored neatly, but I have ducked the long term organisational decisions for the moment.

[ 13. September 2014, 12:13: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took most of today, but I have done out the under stairs cupboard!
This is where shoes, coats, recipe books, cds and dvds live at Chez Shrew. Also four camping chairs which we need easy access to for when we have lots of guests (we have regular boardgames evenings so that is quite frequently).

There was not much culling of dvds or cds, but they are now beautifully sorted so culling will be easier. I made up for it by being ruthless with the shoes though.

Love the look of 'library thing' . I may investigate it when I get to sorting the books.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 700 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well done [Smile]

I am about half done with the cataloging So that is about 350 books in 4 hours, using a barcode scanner for most, manually entered isbn for a few, and title search for some older volumes - plus the taking on and off shelf. So as you can see, the add process is quite efficient.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is cataloging for? I'm wondering if i should do it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19995 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my case, it would be for knowing what books I have when the shelves are double stacked.
My mum also did it for her house insurance as having a full list of books in advance would apparently be useful in case of fire or the like

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 700 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am complete, it appears I have 742 books, which is slightly less than I expected - but then I have repeatedly got rid of crates full over the years.

I have not yet included ebooks or audio books.

Why, you ask ? Well with a view to getting rid of duplicates and anything I am clearly never going to read, plan out the categories in my bookcases - ensure I don't buy anything I already own (I have done that in the past).

[ETA also to work out if the reason I can't find a given book is disorganization or because I lent it to someone who hasn't returned it ...]

Also, librarything then generates reading recommendations on the basis of a detailed look at what sort of books you enjoy. There are also discussion forums etc that I am thinking of getting involved in.

[ 13. September 2014, 22:18: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kitchen is gross again. So is the living room. Dirty laundry on the bedroom floor.

[Waterworks] [Help]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
The kitchen is gross again. So is the living room. Dirty laundry on the bedroom floor.

That's the problem with housework - you do it, then 6 months later you have to do it again [Biased]

As for the laundry - today as part of his Reflection the Minister at church introduced people to the idea of a floordrobe - I find it a very useful concept.

Huia

[ 14. September 2014, 07:33: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What is cataloging for? I'm wondering if i should do it.

I am going to do it for my CD's, sewing patterns and books because I am prone to buying multiple copies because I forget what I have got [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Have worked out how to convert my vhs to dvd, and tapes to mp3, with existing equipment. Tis going to take me forever though.

Using audacity freeware for the audio - which I would recommend to the world.

[ 14. September 2014, 17:02: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attacked the kitchen again, tidying all the admin away and clearing the table, sorting the drinks cupboard (and asking liqueur with some surplus) and sorting out the many piles of books/sewing/fabric that congregate around my area. It's almost respectable enough for visitors.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Have worked out how to convert my vhs to dvd, and tapes to mp3, with existing equipment. Tis going to take me forever though.

Using audacity freeware for the audio - which I would recommend to the world.

Well, I thought I had worked it out, vhs to dvd is going but audio is still defeating me. I take back my audacity recommendation.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
As for the laundry - today as part of his Reflection the Minister at church introduced people to the idea of a floordrobe - I find it a very useful concept.

[Overused] I encountered that word at unfuckyourhabitat and it describes my habits. Also need to work on that (he said ruefully, looking at the pile behind him).

I did get some dishes done and all trash in the kitchen put into bags.

More to do though.

The fruit flies are DRIVING ME INSANE NOW.

Though UFYH says this:

quote:
OK, so every damn thing you find on the Internet will have you building some kind of contraption involving several of the following: wine, dish detergent, vinegar, plastic wrap, sugar, water, and a bowl or glass of some kind. None of these have ever worked for me. They may trap a few flies, but if there’s one thing that fruit flies are, it’s prolific. ...

First things first: you need to find where they’re living and eating (and breeding). This is almost always going to be some kind of food source. ... Keep in mind that they can live off of food crud that lives on your dirty dishes. ...

Once you’ve found their home and disposed of it outside of your house, you need to clean ... wipe down every possible surface to make sure there’s nothing for them to live or feed on. ... make sure there’s nowhere for them to make a new home base. It may take a day or two for their numbers to noticeably dwindle.

We've had them before and this has worked as well. I don't know if they just decide to fly to greener pastures but cleaning things up and keeping them that way makes them go away, so my mission is clear. (Ties hachimaki around forehead.)

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I've moved on to decluttering my church. I know (none better) that the church is a working building, not a picture postcard, but ours has begun to resemble a jumble sale [Mad]

So the vicar has started announcing at services that anyone who wants to claim one of the 15 or so umbrellas, or a food dish, or a lost cardigan, had just better get to it before I do! [Devil]

Mrs. S, about to phone for a skip [Big Grin]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ok, do I spend my life reformatting from tape to mp3 - or - do I join spotify ? Are online streaming services good enough to replace your music collection ?

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
I've moved on to decluttering my church. I know (none better) that the church is a working building, not a picture postcard, but ours has begun to resemble a jumble sale [Mad]

So the vicar has started announcing at services that anyone who wants to claim one of the 15 or so umbrellas, or a food dish, or a lost cardigan, had just better get to it before I do! [Devil]

Isn't that what Christmas Fairs are for?
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:

Rest assured that either:

Just as the stuff is about to leave the premises it will somehow not happen, the PCC will suddenly decide it has to be postponed for further consultation.

Or

Immediately after it has been disposed of there will be a torrent of complaints that Granny Smith's priceless salad bowl or handknit cashmere cardigan has been taken without consent etc.

I do admire your gumption attempting this - do keep us informed on progress. [Two face]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

The bags of trash (which had sat, un-taken-out, for a few days) appear to have been the culprits as the main source for the fruit flies.

Which are now homeless, though I am sure most of them left with the bags.

AND ARE NOW DRIVING ME INSANE AGAIN AND I FEEL LIKE KING KONG SWATTING BIPLANES. rrrrRARRARARARAAAGGAGAGAHHHhhhh!! [brick wall]

I have, dutifully, at the behest of a friend, despite the info above from UFYH, put a jar of water with honey mixed in and plastic wrap over the top with a hole in the middle in hopes that ... er, somehow it will do something, and by morning it will be filled with drowned fruit flies. Or something like that.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add a little wine. It actually works. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19995 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a vacuum with a hose nozzle, the sluggish ones can simply be vacuumed right out of the air. Soooo satisfying. You'll feel like a wizard.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just uncovered the plastic storage box with the remains of my mother's dolls teaset. It has scotty dogs printed on it and I was allowed to play with it if I was very careful. The teapot in the shape of a dog with his front paws forming the spout, was broken when it fell off the bookcase that fell over in the February 2011 earthquake. (I felt so guilty as I had promised to look after it when I was a child [Waterworks] )

It's just occurred to me that the school where I volunteer has a fair coming up next Wednesday, and the tiny cups and saucers would probably sell. In fact I'm going to do a quick check around to see what else may appeal to the children and their parents [Smile] .

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  48  49  50 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016