homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  48  49  50 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, that's a very bold decision, as Sir Humphrey Appleby would say in 'Yes, Minister', and |I really admire you for it.

Daisydaisy and Thyme - yes, I know, eeek! But it really needs doing. When Miss S got married nearly a year ago, we removed two enormous boxes of assorted Stuff from the back of the church. No-one noticed. Six months later I quietly dumped the lot [Devil]

(The vicar is all in favour and no-one asked the PCC!)

Mrs. S, feeling ruthless - if Granny hasn't missed her cashmere cardi by now she has too many of them [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1381 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S - that's the way to do it. After more than 20 years looking after various communal lab facilities (and being constantly amazed at how a sizeable minority are oblivious to the shite they create for everyone else...the larger the ego, the greater the shite...) that's my approach - be ruthless and go with your own gut feeling. Never ask a committee, and if you have a secret 'limbo' in which you can put stuff for a few weeks to await any unlikely squawks of protest, so much the better.

This caught me out once; on seeing a great pile of shite in a university corridor, I automatically gave it the once over. It was all scratty bits of rubbish (and I'm a hoarder, so it really was rubbish) apart from two or three useful-looking bits of old kit. Assuming it had been put out for the porter to dump, as usual practice, I grabbed the slightly useful looking bits and hid them under my desk.

Two days later, I encountered a colleague Dr D_ pushing a trolley with a pile of this shite on it. On asking if the porter was on strike, he said no, this was his research project.

I didn't fess up - and so had to smuggle the rest of his stuff out from under my desk and back into his much diminished pile in the corridor, before he came back for the rest. He didn't seem to notice...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have just uncovered the plastic storage box with the remains of my mother's dolls teaset. It has scotty dogs printed on it and I was allowed to play with it if I was very careful. The teapot in the shape of a dog with his front paws forming the spout, was broken when it fell off the bookcase that fell over in the February 2011 earthquake. (I felt so guilty as I had promised to look after it when I was a child [Waterworks] )

It's just occurred to me that the school where I volunteer has a fair coming up next Wednesday, and the tiny cups and saucers would probably sell. In fact I'm going to do a quick check around to see what else may appeal to the children and their parents [Smile] .

Huia

Huia, I've probably said this here before, but if you are having any pangs of regret, take a photo of the set before sending it off. I somehow feel better having a photo of a couple of items that I was quite upset to have broken. Someone will be very happy to have the little tea cups and saucers.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2337 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugs to you Huia.

I have cleared away to my husband's workshop the pile of paint, tools and DIY paraphernalia littering a corner of the kitchen. No doubt this will cause a row as I will have put them in the wrong places [Roll Eyes] but it's not as if he hasn't had the opportunity to do it himself [Mad]
On a brighter note I have cleared out a cupboard containing cookware and thrown out a huge about of plastic pots and storage containers and can now see what is actually there. I've also tidied some shelves with electronic stuff and found a new home for my cheese making kit and sorted some of the baking kit.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
The bags of trash (which had sat, un-taken-out, for a few days) appear to have been the culprits as the main source for the fruit flies.

CM, you really took me back here - though I'm sure your home isn't like this! Over 30 years ago Mr. S and I had the key to a house two doors away while the owners (middle-aged widower and his teenage son) were away on holiday. For some reason I have totally forgotten we had to go into the living room, which was LITTERED with half-empty takeaway cartons. Okay they were partly full of left-overs, but they were also full of
maggots! I had led a very sheltered life and had never seen anything like it [Projectile]

Mr S and I did what we'd come into do, and left hurriedly. I've never, ever again left food out to this very day.

Coda to this - upsetting even more of my assumptions - I mentioned this to the lady in the next house and added 'bet it wouldn't have been like that if Maureen was still alive!' 'Oh yes' she said, ' it's always been exactly the same!'

Mrs. S, still recoiling in horror [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1381 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'bet it wouldn't have been like that if Maureen was still alive
Hey folks, this is Heaven and I suspect I'm outnumbered - but. I've shared a lot of houses, sometimes with minging men, and women. The former didn't outnumber the latter!

For the moment, I'm largely a house-husband. Gender turns out (surprise surprise) to have nothing to do with our current respective tendencies to be obsessed-with-work-neglectful-of-domestic-life / resentful-nag-brewing-feelings-of-neglect [Frown]

Back on topic, and on a happier note, declutterers with a DIY bent might like to check out these pull-out wire shelves, sold individually by IKEA. You can get a stack of 4 under a work-top / table / desk, and because they pull-out, you can squish them in and still get to whatever is at the back. A plus that the missus nagged me to do it!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
'bet it wouldn't have been like that if Maureen was still alive
Hey folks, this is Heaven and I suspect I'm outnumbered - but. I've shared a lot of houses, sometimes with minging men, and women. The former didn't outnumber the latter!

For the moment, I'm largely a house-husband. Gender turns out (surprise surprise) to have nothing to do with our current respective tendencies to be obsessed-with-work-neglectful-of-domestic-life / resentful-nag-brewing-feelings-of-neglect [Frown]

Back on topic, and on a happier note, declutterers with a DIY bent might like to check out these pull-out wire shelves, sold individually by IKEA. You can get a stack of 4 under a work-top / table / desk, and because they pull-out, you can squish them in and still get to whatever is at the back. A plus that the missus nagged me to do it!

m-i-m, I did say 'upsetting even more of my assumptions'! I felt sure my neighbour would say 'oh no, Maureen must be turning in her grave' cf. my sad tale of Uncle Ron on the Elderly Relatives thread [Eek!]

(and you are absolutely right about the wire basketty thingies - SO useful!)

Mrs. S, chastened

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Mrs. S, feeling ruthless

Go you! The Force is strong in you sister!
[Overused]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 599 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the pickle jar I'd emptied and put water with wine and honey in it didn't seem to attract many... but since I had a bunch of dishes soaking in the sink, I'd just poured the pickle juice into a dirty bowl there... and lo and behold, there were a zillion in it. I thought, Hmmm, maybe they like vinegar? So I put some white vinegar into a cup and lo and behold, lots of flies floating in there now too.

Which is odd, since the saying is you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but maybe I needed to put more honey in it or something. In any case, if the vinegar works then yay. Still want them ALL gone though, which means Mt. Dishmore needs to be tackled.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
CM, you really took me back here - though I'm sure your home isn't like this!

Mostly no, thank God, though... er, well, imagine these large plastic trash bags, with the plastic folded over (as such things are), and when you start to pick it up, you see a huge cloud of fruit flies and other... small... things... [Eek!] [Projectile] and then the part of your mind that goes "ew" and doesn't want to deal with it sort of shuts off out of necessity and you take the bags outside and then you get the swiffer wetjet and spray and clean, spray and clean, and then take the bags out to the car, and don't put them in the trunk oh God no but pile them on the back of the car and then as carefully as you can drive down to the dumpster and throw them in and then come back and wash your whole forearms, not just the hands, several times, while the EW EW EW starts to kick in, but it's OK, you got the bags out, but OMG EW EW EW EW EW EW EW...

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Well, the pickle jar I'd emptied and put water with wine and honey in it didn't seem to attract many... but since I had a bunch of dishes soaking in the sink, I'd just poured the pickle juice into a dirty bowl there... and lo and behold, there were a zillion in it. I thought, Hmmm, maybe they like vinegar? So I put some white vinegar into a cup and lo and behold, lots of flies floating in there now too.

Which is odd, since the saying is you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but maybe I needed to put more honey in it or something. In any case, if the vinegar works then yay. Still want them ALL gone though, which means Mt. Dishmore needs to be tackled.

In my experience they love a glass of wine so vinegar figures. They like acidic things, the treatment for flies in a worm composter is to add lime, so vinegar would be ideal for trapping them.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Huia

Huia, I've probably said this here before, but if you are having any pangs of regret, take a photo of the set before sending it off. I somehow feel better having a photo of a couple of items that I was quite upset to have broken. Someone will be very happy to have the little tea cups and saucers.
lily pad, this gave me such a lightbulb moment <searches for lightbulb smilie>. Hands up everyone who has a box of old greetings cards they can't bear to throw away? Yes, I thought so. Me too! But we could take photos of them, or scan them, and then have them as a screensaver (or on an electronic photo frame if you prefer) and we'd see them a lot more often than we do now [Yipee]

If you want the message inside as well you could cut the card in half and take an image of both pieces, side by side!

lily pad - [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Mrs. S, reaching for the scanner

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Not so much advice for decluttering, but if they are Christmas cards, you could decorate with them, especially if they are from loved ones who are no longer with us.

(Of course, if you have 52,000 of them then, well, that might be a tad unwieldy...)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vinegar by itself won't work unless they are truly desperate. They seem to want something else a bit sweet in the mix. (ask me how * know... [Disappointed] )

Vinegary wine goes very well, also straight vinegar stirred with fruit juice.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

[* ]Fruit flies: They have gone away / Fruit flies are not here today / Fruit flies now are gone at last / Fruit fly menace: It has passed![/* ]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Alternately, the song "Brand New Day/Everybody Rejoice" from The Wiz may be sung. Everybody sing along!

[ 20. September 2014, 20:48: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crap spouted by ChastMastr:
Well, the pickle jar * 'd emptied and put water with wine and honey in it didn't seem to attract many... but since * had a bunch of d***es soaking in the sink, * 'd just poured the pickle juice into a dirty bowl there... and lo and behold, there were a zillion in it. * thought, Hmmm, maybe they like vinegar? So * put some white vinegar into a cup and lo and behold, lots of flies floating in there now too.

Which is odd, since the saying is you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but maybe * needed to put more honey in it or something. In any case, if the vinegar works then yay. Still want them ALL gone though, which means Mt. D***more needs to be tackled.

It really disturbs me that you have completely rewritten that old proverb. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2370 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The proverb is wrong anyway, because it depends what kind of fly you want to catch. Quite a lot of species are attracted to rotting meat...

Wasps, though... wasps are attracted to sugary things.

Posts: 3935 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Why is it that this thread and the Aging Relatives thread are increasingly intertwined?

My grandfather, when nearly blind and living with my (increasingly senile) grandmother, once observed that the raspberry jam was very crunchy [Eek!]

Mrs. S, sticking to honey (which is very easy to do)

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have organised the CDs. Decluttered a few in the process.

I have started on the books. They are now mostly on the floor and I wish I'd never started. [Waterworks]

Still, I have decluttered several more in the process.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 599 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been busy decluttering during the past 2 weeks. I decided that, having moved here over a year ago, if I haven't used it or worn it then it can go.

I have needed the help of a friend from church who is also doing my cleaning (I suffer from chronic pain) and he started off by making me decide to keep or not to keep.

I found that once the process had been started, I was able to do some decluttering on my own and having a jumble sale deadline helped me focus.

I am now facing the difficult part of decluttering and that is my bedroom, especially costume jewellery and accessories. that's where I really need help.

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gradually adding to the boxful of books for decluttering. I find them hard because I'm emotionally attached to a lot of them. And I find paperwork hard because I'm not properly set up with a filing system, and because some of the paperwork has emotional investment as well. [Roll Eyes]

I have a friend who is, to use Flylady's term, Born Organised, and she hoovers her books [Eek!] . I'd never come across anyone else who did that until I was watching a Youtube clip of "How Clean Is Your House?" and Kim did the same. So apparently it needs to be done.

I am, however, making good progress through my kitchen cupboards and have also decluttered the bathroom cabinet and several of the dining room cupboards.

Next week's focus is the Master Bedroom.

Nen - decluttering voyeur.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoovering books is the best way to clean them - it gets the dust off properly. If you swipe them with a duster you end up mashing the dust down between the pages. If you have one of those high-powered cleaners you might need to switch it to low power (if possible), especially if the books are old and fragile. A vacuum cleaner designed specially for hoovering books is best (yes, there is such a thing).

If you don't want to vacuum your books the next-best method is to get a soft (unused) paintbrush, hold the book closed with the spine pointing towards you and brush the dust off gently. But if you do that you end up with dust flying everywhere; best done outdoors if possible, so you don't have to dust that room as well.

Of course if you read them often enough they don't need dusting at all [Biased]

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane R, you are making my head hurt with that talk.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

You don't think I'm in the habit of vacuuming my *own* books, surely? I've got six thousand or so (probably more by now, they seem to breed) and better things to do with my time.

Normally I only clean books when someone else is paying me to do it. As when I worked as a Rare Books Cataloguer, many moons ago (they couldn't afford to pay someone else to clean the books properly so I gave them a quick swipe with the paintbrush to get the worst off before cataloguing them).

At home I rely on the 'read them often enough and they won't need dusting' approach.

[ 21. September 2014, 14:41: Message edited by: Jane R ]

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Thank you, I feel ever so much better now.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have made some cable / charging boxes - basically a lidded cardboard boxes with a divot cut out of each side for the wires to pass through - its amazing how much tidier it looks for so little effort.

I'd strongly recommend it.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19188 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week, I moved apartments: new one is a hundred square feet less than old one. My pre-move decluttering has paid off: new place feels roomier than old one! Now, to resist the temptation to clutter again...

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

lilypad:
quote:
Thank you, I feel ever so much better now.
[Big Grin]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infinite Monkey [Overused]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10125 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
to use Flylady's term

(wee shriek)

FlyLady makes my teeth hurt.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

I've never actually looked at the Flylady website. The image it conjures up, of a giant human-sized fly in a pink pinny wielding a feather duster, is very off-putting.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I found FlyLady very helpful when first setting out to declutter my house, it put the process into helpful steps and was very non-judgemental. I still use a lot of the tips, such as clearing a small area at a time. found the psychology used sensible and approachable, though the twee-ness is quite something. But my husband hated the approach, the idea that you could do something in small stages and not finish a task in one go was not on. He didn't seem to get it when I pointed out that his approach of 'finishing' things never worked as we never did.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish me luck, I'm going in. I'd forgotten just how much I find that any kind of decluttering triggers my anxiety. Something to do with fear of what lies underneath, I suspect.....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2134 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
Wish me luck, I'm going in. I'd forgotten just how much I find that any kind of decluttering triggers my anxiety. Something to do with fear of what lies underneath, I suspect.....

Good Lord, that means I spent nearly two hours sorting out my "paperwork" - or at least that's the title with which I choose to dignify it.

Truly a miraculous occurrence.

Perhaps I am a declutterer after all....

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2134 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:

I'm glad you survived and feel better for it [Smile]

I dived into a long cluttered cupboard today - the one with baking tins, cake tins and too much stuff which didn't belong there.

It's DONE - I feel better for it! [Yipee]

[ 23. September 2014, 17:37: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12683 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I've never actually looked at the Flylady website. The image it conjures up, of a giant human-sized fly in a pink pinny wielding a feather duster, is very off-putting.

Does she acid-vomit over piles of clutter? It's certainly one way of decluttering, but wouldn't be my choice.
Uugh. Apologies, I've even disgusted myself. [Projectile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1829 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... I dived into a long cluttered cupboard today ... [Yipee]

If the stuff's in a cupboard, does it really count as "clutter"?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19626 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I'm clearing 'under the stairs' today, that mass of bags, shoes, wellies, racks of home made wine etc. I may have to find a miners helmet [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is finished! [Smile]

All cupboards, drawers and shelves have been decluttered and everything is clean [Smile]

I am so grateful for a friend who helped me kick start the whole operation. He is even going to do my cleaning each week as I find it difficult with chronic pain.

It has also had a beneficial effect on my mental health. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've ordered replacement windows for my entire house, which means I have to make all of my windows accessible to the installers. The biggest challenge is my huge desk, where all sorts of papers and other things like to hang out and party while I'm asleep.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9461 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nanny, well done [Overused]

Pigwidgeon I admire your committment. I found it dfficult enough when I had to clear the bathroom. My next step is having the house rewired, which means having all the lights and electric sockets clear to be worked on - and my usual helper is out of touch due to having had to evacuate her house while earthquake repairs take place [Help]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10125 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay, well done, Nanny Ogg! [Yipee]

I confess my decluttering has slowed a bit; it's been a busy week and the Master Bedroom, this week's focus area, has not had the attention it was due. [Disappointed] However, I did take a small bag of clothes to the clothes bank and put some more books into the decluttering box, and I have maintained the tidyness in the spaces I had previously cleared. Major step forward for me. [Smile] As Flylady would say, baby steps. As Tesco's would say, every little helps.

Nen - who can't seem to make headway with the dressing table drawers... [Help]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Other half has finally taken the black bags of decluttered junk to the tip - hooray! Now I can get to the outhouse to store the wine and beer I'm making and move some of the beer making stuff from the kitchen. I can also start decluttering the patio.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanny Ogg:
It is finished! [Smile]

All cupboards, drawers and shelves have been decluttered and everything is clean [Smile]
[Big Grin]

No!!

That's amaZING!

I expect to get to that stage around 2017!

Well done you.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12683 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations [Yipee]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19188 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mammoth congratulations Nanny Ogg!

I have just completed the great desk declutter. It looks so much better. I also found our marriage certificate, which I had *thought * was there, but was nervous at having slightly misplaced.

This afternoon I will be off to the tip and a charity shop with old worn out shoes, some clothes and shoes which are still good but unused /not fitting and a small collection of games, books and dvds.

I need to buy shelves to put in our long over the stairs cupboard, so that it becomes usable (at the moment it is just a long pile of boxes), but I'm putting that off for the moment as it is just too terrifying to consider

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 700 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Now I can get to the outhouse to store the wine and beer I'm making and move some of the beer making stuff from the kitchen.

This would mean something totally different in the U.S.
[Eek!]

American outhouse

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9461 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cupboard under the stairs totally emptied....feeling a little faint! ((shock))
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Now I can get to the outhouse to store the wine and beer I'm making and move some of the beer making stuff from the kitchen.

This would mean something totally different in the U.S.
[Eek!]

American outhouse

[Big Grin] we have one of those too. These 1950s council houses were built to cater for working class people of various sensibilities so the house was built with both indoor and outdoor loos. We don't use the outdoor one but it is perfectly functional and solidly built and in a concrete walled building next to our two storage rooms ie the outhouses. We love having storage rooms, they are quite unusual for modern houses here.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  48  49  50 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016