homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If papers and photos become too bulky, it is (in theory at least) possible to scan them and save them electronically. Sharing also then becomes tons easier; you can email the images to relatives.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An inspirational thread. Time I clocked in, too. [Smile]

I'm another one of those newpaper hoarders. Currently 2013 and some 2012 ones left. Luckily, those are in one place, or let's say, one area... - the more recent, 2014 ones, however - all over the place! I really need to get organised.

However, I love looking through old papers again. So much gets forgotten and is no longer newsworthy a year or two later. In that sense: a useful exercise. Now, if it just were not for those old newspaper clippings... - the plan is/was to scan them. Hm... They're just hidden away in plastic boxes with lids, in my spare room. Oh dear. Will need to tackle that at some point.

On the up-side: the recent decluttering of my 1TB desktop puter plus 3TB main external harddrive was successful: I had inadvertently put a music folder in twice, once hidden away, with the same files. Checked and deleted on puter and backup drive - about 600GB of space gained. And more cleanup to follow. At least you can comfortably sit on a chair for that and don't have to go through boxes of stuff. [Biased]

Keep up the good work, all. I, on the other hand, shall try to keep pace with all of your sensational efforts!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you considered an electronic news subscription that you could save to a hard drive.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, in fact electronic access is included in my hardcopy subscription. But I just like the feel of paper. And it doesn't need electricity. - Though I guess I could save the pdf copy of what I'm interested in. Hmm...

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just decluttered my emails, and refiled some of them - I hope I can find them when I need them!!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As yet, I've never had the time or inclination to sit scanning stuff onto the computer in order to dispose of the hard copies. However, last night I realised that this is a genius option when it comes to old school photos. I don't really want to display or give storage space to pictures of the whole of Year 11 and the whole of Year 13 from the late 90s, but I might want to have them available for reference at some point in the future - hello, scanner.

On a different matter which has arisen as a result of my decluttering activities and unearthing things I haven't used for (cough) some years:
What's the advice in the UK about disposing of leaking batteries? Can they go to the council battery recycling place along with their non-leaking cousins?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zoey - maybe take them to your local recycling centre and ask? They will probably have staff there who can advise you. I guess it depends on how they recycle them and what actually gets reused - i really have no idea what this is though!

It is misty and cold out in York today, making it perfect declutter weather. I have to pop out for an errand first thing but then I shall be continuing the mission.

Today's ambitious task - trying to approach my yarn stash. I have lots of very beautiful knitting yarn, but given how long I have had most of it, I know that realistically it isn't being used. But trying to consider getting rid of it is a little heartbreaking. I'm planning to pass bits off to friends slowly. Must. Break. Emotional. Connection. With. Clutter.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of our extended family (a couple) needs dishes and glassware and mugs.

And it so happens that the sets of such things we have are really too many for the two of us in an apartment. About... twice as much as we need.

[Yipee]

[Axe murder]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm making some progress.

Chast--LOL. Nice synchronicity. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done on the progress, Golden Key.

Yesterday the sink bench was totally clear and clean. I should have taken a photo.

I have cleared my table because tomorrow my new computer is being delivered [Yipee] and we may need space to unpack the boxes. I hope the company setting it up includes taking away the old one as I don't have a way of taking it to be recycled. Actually the best plan would be to take the old computer away in the new computer's box, thus sorting all the junk at the same time [Big Grin]

Now all I have left to do is clear the computer desk (sigh).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rats. I just completed an impromptu cupboard clear out thanks to flour weevils.

I suppose at least that cupboard is now completely clean, and I no longer have any stash of baking ingredients to declutter [Waterworks]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently burying a dried bay leaf in your flour-bin helps keep weevils away.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Oooh thank you Piglet, I shall try that.

I had not been keeping dry goods in plastic/glass jars until now but having just thrown away a whole cupboard full of baking ingredients I am ordering a collection of pots to keep flour in.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
Oooh thank you Piglet, I shall try that.

I had not been keeping dry goods in plastic/glass jars until now but having just thrown away a whole cupboard full of baking ingredients I am ordering a collection of pots to keep flour in.

If your shelving is made up if boards or similar which join together, give the shelving a very good wash and airing. There could be eggs in the cracks which will start the whole cycle over.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
If your shelving is made up if boards or similar which join together, give the shelving a very good wash and airing. There could be eggs in the cracks which will start the whole cycle over.

There are kitchen-safe sprays you can buy to use in the cracks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You want to keep flour etc. away from light and warmth. I'm told the eggs are there dormant in the food itself, but until light/warmth awakens them, you're good. After that, no amount of sealing will do, you'll have bugs.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the details, but I've heard of people freezing flour, etc. overnight when they get it. That's supposed to kill any eggs, I think. Should be info online. YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just put my flour in a sealed plastic bag and keep it in the fridge. This being Florida, I keep bread there too or else it spoils very quickly.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep my flour in my fridge because I have a very large fridge and very little cupboard space.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered about doing that Moo. Do you bring some to room temperature before you use it for baking?

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Straight out of the fridge would be perfect for making pastry!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After weeks of clearing out all the unwanted stuff from the shelves, cupboards and boxes my "sewing room" is lovely and tidy, but my hall and dining room are still full of the clutter I removed.
The person who wanted my freecycle stuff didn't turn up at three arranged appointments - with plausible excuses the first two - and has now gone silent.
A pile of paper & card destined for a montessori nursery school has been cluttering up the sideboard for a week as the director hasn't managed to pick it up (she's just promised to come at tea time today - my fingers are crossed).
And there are boxes of vintage knitting and dressmaking patterns, craft books and other related stuff are piled on the dining room table while I research, repair and price them ready to sell (I hope) at a craft event next month.

The feeling of achievement at managing what was a mammoth task is rapidly melting away.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I wondered about doing that Moo. Do you bring some to room temperature before you use it for baking?

When I use my bread machine, I always put in the ingredients and wait about two hours before I start it. I have noticed that the bread rises higher when I do that.

When I'm not using my bread machine I just put the flour in straight from the fridge. It may cause the dough to rise more slowly, but it doesn't seem to make any other difference.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so much Decluttering as transcluttering at the moment.

The plasterer comes tomorrow, so that is the glass and bottle cupboard, 2 walls of the kitchen/spdining room, one side of the hall and areas of the bedroom and study to be cleared.

So far there is a disappointingly low ratio of chuckable from all that.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today it was confirmed that with new jobs on the horizon, we will be moving in February, so I have a feeling I'm going to be on this thread a lot more!

We'll have been in this house nearly 8 years by then, which I guess isn't that long, but there were three of us when we came, and now there are five. And all the attendant equipment/clobber/junk that accompanies that.

But - rejoice with me! I've secured a table at the next 'Nearly New' sale for babies' and kids' stuff, and with a little organisation (oh yes) should be able to shift really quite a lot of it. And may even end up with some cash in hand.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Transcluttering, I like that word. It sums up what I do best [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I've gotten a LOT done, so far, this weekend. [Yipee]

Re transcluttering: sounds like playing the Freecell computer game that comes with Windows. You move *this* card so you can get to *that* card. Eventually, everything gets sorted out together.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well we now have one tidy walk-in cupboard (but, unfortunately, another five that aren't).
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

My next task is to re-arrange the house so I can call the electricians to come and re-wire it. It's a 1950s house and it's never been done, so this is a matter of safety. After that I can ring the contractors to fix my earthquake damaged driveway. They said to leave it until last, so none of the tradespeople damaged the new laid concrete.

The difficulty is of course that all rooms have to be done at the same time. [Help]

Huia

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The stuff I put on Freecycle has finally gone to new homes - with the exception of five sturdy cardboard cartons. But I have found a use for them!

Mr RoS's bedroom is full of bags & boxes of stuff he can't face sorting. I am emptying them, and packing the contents neatly in the cartons - which have lids and can be stacked. I can then put all the old, dilapidated boxes & bags in the recycling bin.

It's just tidying, I am NOT sorting through all his rubbish for him. I've got enough of my own to deal with, and he needs to make his own decisions on what needs keeping.

In the meantime, having priced most of the stuff I'm putting on my Second-hand and Vintage stall, I am going through the dressmaking patterns making sure they each have all the right pieces, and the instructions.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Cubby was in the hospital again recently, and when I found out he was coming home, I went into a quick dash of cleaning his room and his bathroom, doing dishes, etc., and all are much nicer now.

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Much nicer for Cubby to come home to as well.

I have bits and pieces of my old computer scattered about the house and will have to collect them up for recycling, then find a friend to take them to the depot.

I think someone in my local freecycle group may be interested in the monitor, so that's a start.

Huia

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo, do you use warm water in your bread machine? I use 1/5th ish water from the kettle to 1/5th ish water from the cold tap in my quick bake cycle.

Just popped in here to say that I'm currently having the builders in and it's been amazing what I've been able to get rid of in the process of downsizing. Suddenly I find I don't need a lifetime's supply of scrap bits of fabric or all the paperbacks I've ever read. I have a sneaky suspicion that soon I won't need my VHS player and cassette tapes. Maybe one day I won't need three sewing machines, but not today.

Cattyish, wondering what to do about all the stuff I've collected for youth work.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Pleased to hear of so much progress!

I have been doing a spot of transcluttering today, in preparation for Mrs shrew-in-law. I am blessed that she is wonderful and will not judge me for the mess (besides anything she does know what Mr shrew is like!). Still there is some kind of instinctive urge to make everything spotless and dust the tops of all the doors.....

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
Moo, do you use warm water in your bread machine? I use 1/5th ish water from the kettle to 1/5th ish water from the cold tap in my quick bake cycle.

As I said upthread, I don't start my bread machine for at least two hours after I put all the ingredients in. I use water from the ice water dispenser on my fridge door, because it is filtered. I store my yeast in the freezer, and it's very cold when I put it in the machine.

The two-hour wait insures that everything is the same temperature.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A week from Thursday I'm having two rooms carpeted, so they need to be emptied. The guest room won't be so bad, but -- the second room is my office. I've been working on it a little each day, decluttering a bit as I box stuff up, and I hope to declutter a bit more when I get around to putting things back.

[Help]

Maybe I should just keep the faded, worn, ugly carpet that's here.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
A week from Thursday I'm having two rooms carpeted, so they need to be emptied. The guest room won't be so bad, but -- the second room is my office. I've been working on it a little each day, decluttering a bit as I box stuff up, and I hope to declutter a bit more when I get around to putting things back.

[Overused]
You are so brave. I've put off any idea of having carpet laid for a while. Mind you this morning in bed I was thinking through the logistics of getting the re-wiring done and decided it may be more simple than I thought. Move stuff away from plugs and switches but leave space under lights clear. I may have to move a scotch chest into the wardrobe but that's about all - apart from cleaning up the floor - gravity can be so annoying [Roll Eyes]

Huia

[ 20. October 2014, 23:54: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

We've needed re-wiring and re-plumbing for several years, and the damp-proof & timber-treatment guarantees have run out, but the prospect of having any whole-house work done is more than daunting.
It's not so much the moving things out of the various rooms, it's that the house is so full of 'stuff' that there isn't anywhere to move things too.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel your pain - I am a would be minimalist and likely to stay would be forever!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(((((All of us)))))

Making progress. [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Hi Golden Key, that's good news.

I handed on my monitor and two small speakers through freecycle to a woman whose grandson has end of year school assessments due (which is a really bad time not to have a computer.

Also found a home for a large button phone that doesn't quite go loud enough for me any more as well as giving one of my bikes to a group that fixes and gives bikes away [Yipee]

On the other hand I appear to have misplaced a packet of dry cat food and Georgie-Porgy is most displeased as I replaced it with some cheaper stuff [Frown]

Huia

[ 24. October 2014, 23:19: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got four pretty bowls from the charity shop for 10p each (I ducked into the charity shop to browse because the queue at the greengrocers was so long!) so I've been able to de-clutter my distinctly inferior bowls and the side plates that go with them. I've also been upgrading my cutlery, because I was sick to death of the old set with crappy green plastic handles (and why do I need six of everything anyway?) so I've now got some gorgeous spoons, forks and knives that are a delight to eat with, all from local vintage shops.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have started to declutter the kitchen, given it is relatively tidy, this involving more replacement than anticipated. I have swapped out all my kitchen knives, and now I need to do a tip run. And trying to organise the store cupboard is making me think I need a spice rack, and some effective food storage jars.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

On the spice front - most 'racks' are built to accommodate half a dozen jars, which is absurd. A few years ago I had a chap make me two little matching wall-mounted units which hang either side of the cooker, each with three shelves, each shelf holding about 10 jars/packets. It holds - just - all my spices, herbs, mustards, stock cubes and seasonings.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still working on clearing out my office for the carpet which arrives on Thursday. I swear someone sneaks in here and keeps adding two piles of stuff for every one pile I clear out. And the dust is so bad I've been wearing a mask.
[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, I have an entire drawer under the hob, stuffed with herbs and spices in those little square jars that used to hold cheats' garlic and ginger. Had to eat a lot of those, but that was no hardship! The fact that they're square keeps them in neat lines, and I have other, less tidy stuff, at the back. Best solution I've come across yet [Yipee]

In other news, just back from 12 days in Peru. Total of purchases = one scarf and six small keyrings with model alpacas attached. (Those are to keep me from losing the keys to the new windows.) I was saved from buying any more by the thought that when I have to clear out the Dowager's home, there's enough Peruvian St*ff there to keep me busy, without my adding more!
[Killing me]

Mrs. S, who negotiated unsuccessfully for a vicuna lawnmower [Waterworks]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
In other news, just back from 12 days in Peru. Total of purchases = one scarf and six small keyrings with model alpacas attached. (Those are to keep me from losing the keys to the new windows.) I was saved from buying any more by the thought that when I have to clear out the Dowager's home, there's enough Peruvian St*ff there to keep me busy, without my adding more!
[Killing me]

That would have made a wonderful souvenir. [Big Grin]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I just got four pretty bowls from the charity shop for 10p each

I like buying crockery from charity shops, you can get such pretty stuff. I also like the mixed bag of designs it gives to ones dinner service. [Smile] Having said that, I'm gradually moving to an all-white, not necessarily completely matching, look.

My next area of decluttering is my dressing table - the scene of several previous unsuccessful attempts. [Roll Eyes]

Welcome back from Darkest Peru, Mrs S. I was wondering where you were. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

That would have made a wonderful souvenir. [Big Grin]
From Nen's post on another thread, I could probably have sold her a similar one! The camelids really are unimaginably cute. (Didn't see any vision-impaired bears, though [Frown] )

Mrs. S, who had to mow her own lawns on Thursday [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I keep my spices (bought in bulk, and massively cheaper, though not much bought at a time) in little plastic bags. If I had a wee jar for each of them they'd take up massively more room.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016