homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
OK, help please:

How do i deal with the apparently never-ending piles of paperwork that accumulate around our living room?

I am a file freak who loves nothing more than seeing rows of orderly files, containing sorted documents. However i am married to someone who likes to leave their paperwork lying where it was dropped.

Make sure your spouse has their own office, then transfer all piles there.

Keep their office door firmly close at all times.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Had just started to successfully use Green Metropolis to sell my excess books, to find out the site is closing in the next couple of weeks. Foiled. [Frown]

You could try WeBuyBooks - it's who I used for the CDs and will be trying for books next.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, thank you!

It's sounding like my method for dealing with the children in their teens

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
This week I really will put the boxes of Christmas decorations away. Honest. They're currently stacked up the stairs which is horribly inconvenient and conspicuous, so I have to get them dealt with soon. Even I can't cope with the idea of them still being there come March...! [Eek!]

I made it! Put them all away last Friday, so I even had a whole day spare [Biased] It's nice having space on the stairs again, but I do wish Op 1 had followed through on her offer to tidy the living room since I'd done the rest of downstairs. In practice she put away 2-3 things, moved a few others, and watched the TV. [Roll Eyes] The kitchen now looks like a disaster zone since my fridge needs replacing. Replacement was due yesterday so I cleared the microwave & all the clutter off the top onto the table. Replacement now not coming until Friday, so I have a couple of days to get rid of all the clutter...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still planning on doing my cunning plan. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Had just started to successfully use Green Metropolis to sell my excess books, to find out the site is closing in the next couple of weeks. Foiled. [Frown]

You could try WeBuyBooks - it's who I used for the CDs and will be trying for books next.
Interesting, I'll have a look at that. I've been checking out Bookmooch, but swapping books (which is what happens on the site) is not getting rid of books.

[ 03. March 2015, 19:46: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had people coming round on Saturday. Spent all day tidying and then hideying. The enormous pile on one of the beds now needs dealing with, but at least it's all in one place now, right?

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man knocked on the door asking to buy the wrecked car, still in the driveway from last years accident because I need to find the title to gt it hauled away.

I said the chassis is bent. He said a family member is a mechanic and can bang it into shape.

So I had to find the car title, which is not in the file "Car"! Where could it be?

I spent the entire weekend going through papers (interesting articles I saved, old taxes and receipts and budget plans, old letters, travel literature - way too much paper in my house), didn't find the title.

I discovered a replacement costs only $2; the guy backed out; I filled the garbage can! I think I'll call and thank him for getting me to do some clean-up. (Long ways to go, but a good start).

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my cunning plan was a somewhat longish-term plan but unexpectedly we needed to do a bit of crisis cleaning, and by sheer Providence a friend called when I was about to start an all-nighter, and he was happy to help, so the apartment is AMAZINGLY WONDERFULLY BETTER NOW.

Um, so, there you go. [Hot and Hormonal] [Yipee] Thank you God!!!!!!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay, everybody!!! [Smile]

And I'm making some progress.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decluttering is being forced on me by major decorating chez Nen. The small bedroom is to become my study [Yipee] but I need to pare my paperwork and books down to fit into it. The going is slow. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A massive declutter has been forced on us by the arrival of carpet moths. (Foul creatures which EAT carpet, serves us right for getting the most expensive wool carpet) We have carpets in the bedroom, living room, stairs and landing - the rest of the house has oak floors.

The carpeted areas had to be cleared completely. All cupboards and drawers too. Then the rooms had to be fugged, then sprayed. It took three days, but a lot of stuff was decluttered.

[Big Grin] [Mad] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decluttering is wonderful. I found some possum fur innersoles for my sheepskin slippers.

No cold feet for me this winter. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I finished decluttering my back garden. It's small, so it doesn't take long to become cluttered, but about 3 years for me to get around to decluttering. I am looking forward to relaxing there in the sunshine soon.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have culled a dozen or more boxes of books in the last few months, so how come the bookshelves are still full? [Confused] [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's magic [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The books are breeding behind your back. They must like it in your house.

My mantra is 'Books do not count as clutter'.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Decluttering is wonderful. I found some possum fur innersoles for my sheepskin slippers.

No cold feet for me this winter. [Yipee]

Huia

I loved my possum fur/sheepskin slippers but had to switch to sheepskin only ones last year as I'd worn the possum fur footbeds bald! Come to think of it, those were probably the slippers I bought the last time I visited CHCH and we went for milkshakes!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basking in the virtuous sense of a job done. [Smile]

Small spare room contains bed and computer. Music room contains too much of everything, many LPs and a convertible couch. [Confused]

In order to relocate the computer in the MR which is on the first floor, faces south and gets the best light and the least use in the house [Disappointed] I had to:

*Rationalise the contents of over 40 box files containing music. Lots of paper waste to the recycling, and 20 box files to landing preparatory to finding good homes for them.

*Move the LPs, till then stored in 4ftx18 inch bookcases lying on their sides, one stacked on the other, to the resulting cleared shelf space.

*Move bookcases, now upright, into temporary position in my bedroom.

*Move couch into the newly freed space under the window in the music room.

*Move computer table and computer, scanner, monitor etc. into newly freed space in the music room.

*Move spare room bed to newly freed space where the computer had been.

*Move the bookcases from their temporary location in my bedroom to the newly freed space in the spare bedroom where the bed had been.

* Finally, after four years, put overlarge books into the newly freed space in the bookcases in the spare bedroom. [Yipee]

*Distribute spare box files to interested friends.

*Have a large glass or three of wine.

*Pop in to spare room and music room to admire and bask in suddenly increased space. Also that on the landing.

That's my lot for the foreseeable future. [Cool]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacobsen - [Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed [Overused]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the Pain - that was years ago. I hope mine last that long.

Jacobsen, I hope the wine was enjoyable - you certainly earned it.

Huia

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You bet. (Hic) [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to do a big push over the next few days, but I'm sick.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sometimes you just wake up, the energy is there, and you begin....

Hope you feel better soon. [Votive]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Jacobsen, following your wonderful example I bought myself a bottle of wine [Big Grin]

Now I just have to earn it. (sigh)

Golden Key, I hope you can balance looking after yourself with cleaning up.

Huia

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacobsen [Overused]

I had a coffee morning in my house yesterday. This neccessitated decluttering the porch / hall, living room / kitchen/ bathroom / dining room.

This involved the time-honoured technique of boxing up my husband's clutter and shoving it in son's bedroom, for him to deal with "later." The boxes are stacked on top of the boxes which resulted from the last similar declutter.

The household and my clutter was shoved into the study. And it looks almost manageable. So today's task is to sort it out properly. I'll be in the study anyway (article to write) so perhaps it's do-able...

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

This was your husband's clutter? he obviously never missed the stuff from the previous decluttering which is still in boxes underneath the most recent lot. How about just giving the boxes the old heave ho? [Big Grin]

Good luck, anyway
[Votive]

[ 27. March 2015, 09:54: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's mostly paperwork, some of it work related, which might be important. Definitely not anything I could chuck out.

My husband does like to hang onto stuff, though. Our most recent argument was over a cassette tape. We were in Paris in 1991, and listened to a street artist playing the pan-pipes. It was sunny, it was Paris, it was romantic - we bought one of his tapes. We listened to it once on our return and realised that without the holiday ambience, it sounded pretty grim. But we didn't throw it out.

A few weeks ago, I chucked it, and husband spotted it in the wastepaper bin. He was outraged! How could I even think of binning a tape which neither of us had listened to since 1991? It is sentimental!

It's back on the shelf. Sigh. I have binned all my cassette tapes, but my husband is hanging onto his collection. Why, I don't know. I guess he looks at a mix tape circa 1982 and is transported back to the halycon days of living in student halls.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... he looks at a mix tape circa 1982 and is transported back to the halycon days of living in student halls.

I'm afraid I can relate to that - I've still got cassettes of Queen's Greatest Hits and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's Architecture & Morality, which may not have been listened to since about 1982, but I haven't the heart to throw them out.

They're part of my youth ... [Hot and Hormonal]

As for all D's magazines and periodicals about pipe-organs dating from before the Flood - don't get me started. [brick wall]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, I only thought of this this morning. The Former Miss S's grandmother-in-law always remembers Mr S and me very fondly, although we really didn't know her at all well. I've come to the conclusion that she thinks of us so kindly now because when we did know her she was in a happier place, i.e. living with her husband and daughter rather than widowed and living in a home for the slightly confused.

The thought of us takes her back there, rather like all these antediluvian cassettes - funny, I've never compared myself to an ancient mix tape before [Killing me]

Mrs. S, ancient and getting more so

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My house is a chronic disaster area, but I do make a point of getting my trash out every week, and my recyclables unless it's raining or snowing.

Friday is trash day. This is the sixth Friday in a row that I could not put my newspapers and catalogs out because it was raining in the morning. As usual, it cleared up in the afternoon. [brick wall] [brick wall]

They say that in two months they will give us covered recyclable containers. I want mine NOW.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why can't they just go out in the rain? That's what happens here. All our recycling boxes are uncovered. Doesn't matter if the contents get a bit soggy.

(ETA By 'here' I mean round my way. Not speaking for what everyone else's recycling boxes are like in the UK.)

[ 27. March 2015, 21:24: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Why can't they just go out in the rain? That's what happens here. All our recycling boxes are uncovered. Doesn't matter if the contents get a bit soggy.

If they get soggy, they can't be recycled.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't you use blue bags? All of our recycling goes out only in clear plastic blue-coloured bags.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

We have open rectangular containers. As I said earlier, we're supposed to get covered ones in June.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

In Christchurch we used to have open plastic boxes for recycling, now we have coloured coded wheelie bins - green for organic which goes out every week, yellow for recycling and red for rubbish - those go out on alternate weeks. I would be tempted to be the first to put the wrong bin for the week and see how many people just follow [Two face] except I rely on other people to put out the right bins so I can follow them.

Huia

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Huia--

Thanks. I'm getting some cleaning done, and keeping a fairly good balance.
[Smile]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is a major declutter day at chez shrew!

I will be tackling the bedroom, which is an absolute disaster zone.

Mr shrew is on side and I am readying the dusters... Wish me luck!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In Christchurch we used to have open plastic boxes for recycling, now we have coloured coded wheelie bins - green for organic which goes out every week, yellow for recycling and red for rubbish - those go out on alternate weeks. I would be tempted to be the first to put the wrong bin for the week and see how many people just follow [Two face] except I rely on other people to put out the right bins so I can follow them.

Huia

We've had carts for about 25 years and it is very true that one person leading out with the wrong cart can turn a whole street over to the wrong ones. I always wonder what the worker picking up the carts thinks! [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Go, Mrs Shrew! [Axe murder]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray! Bedroom is not finished but is very very much better. I'm completely shattered now!

Many bits of toiletries ready to go, and Tue northern hemisphere's major hairband stock replenished.

I also finally took the curtains up ( we bought them 14 months ago....)

Next weekend I'll be sending the surplus yarn and fabric to the charity shop. Must be strong....must not get sentimental about yarn.....

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

This involved the time-honoured technique of boxing up my husband's clutter and shoving it in son's bedroom, for him to deal with "later." The boxes are stacked on top of the boxes which resulted from the last similar declutter...

...It's mostly paperwork, some of it work related, which might be important. Definitely not anything I could chuck out.

Having the same problem. There are also plenty of old cassettes - but at least they are hidden away in the same boxes.

Yesterday I sent a box of ornaments & other 'bric-a-brac', much of which had been gifts from family and friends, to a local jumble sale. At this rate I will have decluttered everything I own and we will still be buried under a heap of total cr*p that Mr RoS can't part with.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

If they get soggy, they can't be recycled.

Moo

Ah, round here they say it doesn't matter if they get wet. Must be different ways of recycling or something.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted bu RoseofSharon

quote:
At this rate I will have decluttered everything I own and we will still be buried under a heap of total cr*p that Mr RoS can't part with.
[Roll Eyes]

That's a disincentive for me; that by decluttering my stuff I'm creating space for more of my husband's stuff.

In fairness, I have two shelves of photo albums, dated, labelled etc and certainly not "clutter." If I want to get nostalgic about life c1982, I look at my photos. Whereas my husband's memories are tied up in his accumulation of cassettes, lidless tea-pots, chipped cups, too-small sweatshirts, old bottle tops, lecture notes, etc etc.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which reminds me... you can sometimes get a hoarder ('scuse me, person-with-memories-tied-up-in-clutter) to let go of a lot of them by taking photos of the objects before disposing of them. The photo (even as a never-looked-at digital file) seems to be just enough existence that the concrete thingy can be let go without fear of somehow losing the memories.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{{{{{All of us}}}}}

I'm making progress. But it's wearying.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family arriving!
Yikes!

De Cluttering button is now jammed on Full Steam Ahead. Main bins and paper recycling been taken to tip already. This is kicking my backside so hard.

Must remember to invite people to Stay far more often......

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I have cleared and tidied up the area between my front door and the coal hole. Including cleaning the front door and door frame which were apparently filthier than a dirty movie judging by the colour of the water after and the fact that the door is now orange all the way down rather than a two tone orange-black.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've just done the dog cupboard, which was so bad I was afraid we'd get mice.

Pleased with myself now [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016