homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on a roll - also hacked back a whole heap of ivy and cleared one of the raised beds. Plus had to empty a bookshelf so I can move it to get the sofa past. (Glory be, have finally booked a council bulky waste collection to get rid of old mattress and sofa.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have dismantled our greenhouse, which had been losing panes of glass in strong winds. No idea how old it was, it was there when we moved in, but the rubber cushioning the glass was perishing.

This means we have find somewhere to keep assorted plant pots, bamboo canes etc. We've bought some shelving to organise our garage.

I keep discovering duplicates - e.g. four pairs of gardening gloves and five watering cans. I'm particularly baffled by the watering cans. Where did they all come from? Did I buy them? Why?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We spent the whole day at working clearing out some shelves, before moving them. All the tangle of wires, post-it pads, labels, and pens have been sorted out into cubbyholes. The shelves were dismantled, moved, reassembled and cleaned. And then we loaded all the 15 types of copy paper back onto the shelves. The only annoying thought is that nobody in the office will appreciate our work. I will probably get a complaint or two, at most.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After storing my clothes in a couple of old suitcases for the past two years, some new bedroom furniture will be arriving soon. This has spurred my on to do a spring clean of the bedroom, which is also going to get some new wallpaper, paint, and bed linen. I'll get my dreamy boudoir at last!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The temptation to merely return everything to it's former place...is immense, but must be resisted.

How though, is another matter....

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At work we had a good time debating what certain things were. Also some things, like the rolodex cards, can surely be tossed. I have assembled a nice batch of equipment, machinery, and the plastic combs for binding brochures together -- nobody does this any more and I have hopes of selling the entire lot on Ebay and using the proceeds to buy a pizza for the office.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I keep discovering duplicates - e.g. four pairs of gardening gloves and five watering cans. I'm particularly baffled by the watering cans. Where did they all come from? Did I buy them? Why?

It is a well known fact that the best way to locate a lost article is to buy a replacement.

My guess is that when you needed gardening gloves, you couldn't find them amongst the clutter so you bought some more.

Either that, or, like coat hangers, they breed.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My gardening gloves go on holiday, returning eaten and with lots of companions. I had a really lovely skin-hugging pair that I don't mind wearing but they've gone AWOL.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading here and admiring everyone's hard work, thinking I hadn't done any of late - but I have been decluttering the Dowager's paperwork. She has a habit of opening her correspondence, reading it, putting it back in the envelope and writing, say, 'URGENT' on it - and putting it away in The Box File of Doom [Roll Eyes] .

Or else, she tots up her current assets on the outside of the envelope and stuffs several years' statements in it [Eek!]

In any case, I have now reduced it all to statements etc from this century, removed from the envelopes and filed flat so you can actually see them. And of course had to shred all the envelopes!

I then filed all her letters about her medical conditions in a bright red file. Now, of course , she can't find anything, cue panicked phone call - 'I've been looking everywhere for that letter!'

After all, this is the lady who decluttered her camera into her underwear drawer [Overused]

Mrs. S, just wanting a good grumble [Help]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Originally posted bu RoseofSharon

quote:
At this rate I will have decluttered everything I own and we will still be buried under a heap of total cr*p that Mr RoS can't part with.
[Roll Eyes]

That's a disincentive for me; that by decluttering my stuff I'm creating space for more of my husband's stuff.

In fairness, I have two shelves of photo albums, dated, labelled etc and certainly not "clutter." If I want to get nostalgic about life c1982, I look at my photos. Whereas my husband's memories are tied up in his accumulation of cassettes, lidless tea-pots, chipped cups, too-small sweatshirts, old bottle tops, lecture notes, etc etc.

I could not resist posting this article from The Daily Mash: Man with mortgage and kid unable to throw out rave tapes

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

The latest from the North East Household. I planned to pass on an as-new pre-school book "Explore maths through shapes and patterns", which my own two had ignored when they were pre-schoolers, to the four year old daughter of a friend. I wasn't convinced the daughter would like it any more than our two had, but I thought her parents would recognise it as a worthy book, the sort that's handy to leave lying around when the Health Visitor calls.

My husband wouldn't let me give it away. Apparently, we're keeping it for the grand children we might have in ten to fifteen years, on the off-chance that their taste in pre-school books is more academic than we managed to instill in our two.

[Disappointed]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did our second bout of moth-proofing yesterday.

I can now declare the living room comletely declutterd!

It's the first room to reach this heavenly state, and shall be kept that way henceforth.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Can one attain a completely decluttered state? I thought that it was only theoretically possible, like absolute zero.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose if the only things in the room/house are the ones that you actually want to be there, then total declutterdom has been achieved.

Chez Piglet, sadly, has a very long way to go ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We did our second bout of moth-proofing yesterday.

I can now declare the living room comletely declutterd!

It's the first room to reach this heavenly state, and shall be kept that way henceforth.

[Yipee]

Boogie, if I had posted that I would be tempted to add [Killing me] but I think you are more focussed than I am so it should probably be [Overused]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And determined!

Determined that nothing will sneak into the living room that isn't already there, having passed all exams.

I am guarding the door 24/7!

[Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being offered a swap of my 2 drawer filing cabinet for a 4 drawer one, I have spent today Sorting Out the mountain of paper and Other Stuff that has been masquerading as my desk for the past 2 years.
The top 2 drawers are filed alphabetically, the bottom one has spare reams of paper, and refill yellow legal pads. The last one has my old CD player, which I can't bring myself to recycle because it was a present from my DH, and which might be a Useful Thing one day.
One can nearly see the desk top now, and I have been deploying a duster but without much success. The rest of th room remains a tip. And you can't actually sit in either of the visitors chairs, but it is still a work in progress....

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The top of my desk is beech., who knew......
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bedroom furniture is arriving today! So at last I will be able to tidy away all my clothes. [Yipee]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes ... except, as is we all know, clothes placed in wardrobes etc. have a tendency to spontaneously breed until they fill up all the available space.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
The top 2 drawers are filed alphabetically, the bottom one has spare reams of paper, and refill yellow legal pads.

I did read of one secretary who filed everything in her filing cabinet under "J" for "General".

And of an Army Colonel who had three trays on his desk: "In", "Old Bumf" and "Rugger".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Yes ... except, as is we all know, clothes placed in wardrobes etc. have a tendency to spontaneously breed until they fill up all the available space.

IME, the problem is that clothes in wardrobes have a tendency to shrink, thus necessitating the purchase of larger clothes. However, to throw out the mysteriously shrunken clothes is to admit that I'll never fit those clothes again.

I have boxes of clothes (in the loft, so not clutter) neatly labelled "10 stone" "10 1/2 stone" "11 stone" "11 1/2 stone" "12 stone" "12 1/2 stone" "13 stone" - well, you get the idea. No need for me to say how far the sequence goes. [Hot and Hormonal]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Me too North East Quine - I have jeans in all sizes from 10 to 16 - ten pairs in all!

My 16s are now 'slack' and I am hoping to throw them away soon and move down. I think it's a pipe dream to think I'll need the 10s again 'tho, so they must go [Smile]

A moth was spotted in the (very very cluttered) spare room my brother sleeps in 3 days a week. So, today is the day - another room to blitz.

These moths are doing us a favour in the final analysis.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tidied my work//sewing table yesterday and am embarrassed by the many identical packets of needles I kept finding in each layer, owing to my buying new ones as I can't find them. But now it is clear and organised and I am beginning to clean the adjacent table, which appears to have items I haven't touched in at least 5 years [Hot and Hormonal] But once I get that cleared and the drawers sorted I should be able to enjoy the room (and contents) better.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spent the last three days emptying, cleaning and reorganising the garden shed, which hasn't been touched for five years.

Amongst other things, Mr RoS took 30yrs worth of old garden chemicals to the tip, including a few that have been made illegal since I bought them. I still have a couple of boxes of garden junk, such as plastic plug trays, strimmer cord and twirly ornaments that I'll put at the gate for people to take over the w/e. What doesn't go I'll offer on Freecycle, and anything left will go in the next load for the tip.
I have an incredible number of new garden gloves, coils of fine wire and packs of plant labels, bought because I couldn't find the ones I already had in the shed. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My brother's room is done, hurrah! [Yipee]

I'm surprised how much of my son's clutter we still have. I am too kind to send it to him as he lives with his partner in a tiny flat in the centre of Bristol. He has house buying plans - so the stuff will be taken to him as soon as he moves in!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I do not feel in the least bit guilty of loading ten boxes of my daughter's possessions into her husband's pickup truck. Alas, he has never visited us again, I am sure in fear that we will repeat it.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of today's jobs is to declutter the airing cupboard. We recently redecorated our bedroom and have new bedlinen but I do tend to keep all the old ones, single sets that our children had as well as our worn-almost-to-holes king size stuff... some vague idea about it being useful as dust sheets...

Nen - quite certain we don't need duvet covers with My Little Pony or Rainbow Brite.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not even Hello Kitty? [Big Grin]

[ 25. April 2015, 06:46: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Not even Hello Kitty? [Big Grin]

No. Nor Rosie and Jim. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - partway through the airing cupboard.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go Nen! [Overused]

Mrs. S, who still has a single Snoopy duvet cover [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No need to blush, Mrs. S. - I suspect that when the ancestral pile is finally cleared out, a single Snoopy downie and pillow-case will turn up. And if it does, I shall reclaim it, even though we don't actually possess a single bed ... [Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Odd sheets and towels may always be donated to your local veterinarian or animal shelter.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Currently decluttering the ancestral mansion one cupboard at a time - every time I open a new one I gasp and reach for the rubber gloves!

Also decluttering the freezer Chez Dowager by helping her eat all the ready meals for two that have been gathering metaphorical dust since 2012 or so ... [Eek!]

Mrs. S, who does love her mother really [Two face]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I am, as always, struggling with the paperwork mountain. My problems with paperwork date back to my childhood when an official envelope coming through the door triggered major stress for my father, who employed the Intrepid Dowager's method of filing (straight back into the envelope, with a note written on the envelope) which has in turn been passed down the generations. Mr Nen couldn't believe it when he was sorting out my mum's paperwork, which had been looked after by my brother until his untimely demise. [Eek!] And yesterday, because I am stressed at work, I caught myself doing it with the post that had come into the office. [Hot and Hormonal]

A little advice please from those who are organised in the paperwork department. A letter comes through the door. Do you open it immediately or ascertain by the look of it whether it needs your attention and leave it till later? Do you set aside a slot in the week to deal with paperwork or do you do it as you go along? Do you file in a filing cabinet or in ring folders (which involves punching holes in paperwork)?

Nen - no clue how to start and embarrassed about being at this point again. [Help]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nen:

This is what has helped me keep it down to a manageable level;

Open mail immediately and check if there is anything that really needs to be kept. Throw away junk inserts and only keep the essential bits. Bills to pay and anything that needs action to go in their own pile/folder/ Those three tier desk stands are useful. Action, reading, filing. Then when the shelves are full they have to be sorted.

Pay as much as possible online and go paperless.

If you have a pile of unopened bank statements, just get rid of them and only keep the last few months. You won't miss them. Promise. [Biased] [Hot and Hormonal]

For filing I have box files eg 'Car' is everything car related. 'House' is everything house related. Then I just throw the stuff in. It is not very organised and takes up a bit too much space but I know I can find it. I try to make sure I throw out of date stuff away while I am in the box. Eg last year's insurance policy. I have a special folder for household appliance instructions.

I used to keep 12 months utility bills until I went paperless. Throwing away the oldest one when I filed a new one.

Keep it as simple as possible, anything too complicated won't be maintained and just lead to more mess and guilt.

Also, all those charity and mail order catalogues, flyers, there will be another one along soon so just throw them away without opening or reading. You can always go on the websites to find the latest news.

Mostly when I have had to spend all day tackling a paper mountain I have ended up throwing 95% of it away and wondering why I kept it in the first place.

But just opening the mail immediately and throwing away non essential inserts helps a lot.

I don't have a special time for dealing with it. I try to keep on top of it as I go along.

At the moment I have an overflowing pile and I know I have to deal with it soon. The reason I have an overflowing pile is because since we moved my filing boxes are no longer to hand and I have to make a special trip to the garage to do the filing, which I don't like. I need to sort this out.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They have discovered that the mere act of making a decision -- any decision -- costs mental and physical energy. So, never multiply decisions. Everything you touch, decide what to do with it and do it instantly. Do not save it to decide, again, about it later on, thus doubling your energy costs. And if you put it somewhere again, there you are, tripling the costs, exhausting yourself.

Touch every piece of mail only once. (Putting it onto a to-be-paid pile is OK, because then you're going to go right through that pile and pay them one right after the other.)

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much of my so called paperwork now comes to me online. I have set up email folders and it is transferred straight to there after action is taken if needed. Many bills are paid by direct debit and I run an eye over online bank statement weekly to check all is well.

I have some quarterly bills which I cannot pay that way. I do get an email reminding me of them, but I have set up a reminder in Google calendar that payment is shortly due. I use that calendar for a lot of things, including monthly meetings and such..

Reminders from it usually work well, although I was surprised the other day to receive a reminder about nephew's birthday which is on fifth December. Google had swapped the date around to May twelfth. Still that's another post.

My computer is set to back up daily to Time Machine on an external drive. I've never needed the back up for bills or reminders but it is there.

[ 21. May 2015, 21:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda, a link to this research could be interesting reading for some. Thanks.

Lothlorien
AS host

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have decided to bite the bullet & clear out some of Mr RoS's old clothes, as he is clearly unable to do it himself (witness: 2 pairs of nylon underpants from the year we got married still occasionally appear in the wash - and we are now past our Ruby Wedding).
Two binliners of too-tatty-to-wear items have gone into the recycling bin today, and one filled to bursting with clothes too big/small for him, or that he never wears, has gone to the charity shop. I've asked him to do it himself often enough, so if anything (else*) has gone that he wanted to keep, well, he's got no-one to blame but himself.

* I donated a jumper he's not worn in 40+ years to a charity shop last autumn - today he told me it was his favourite. I told him that noticing it's absence after six months was a tad too late to save it, so tough luck!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Some articles on how decisions cost you energy:
Decision Fatigue
and, a particularly fascinating one,
Israeli judges

Someone also wrote a book about it, which is summarized here: Willpower

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
... Those three tier desk stands are useful. Action, reading, filing ...

D. used to have a set of those on his desk marked, "IN", "OUT" and "LBW" (Let the B*ggers Wait).
[Devil]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be interesting to do a study on decision fatigue and supermarket shopping because I think that's the place where it is most obvious in my life and I only shop for myself and Georgie-Porgy who is not a fussy eater.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Mostly when I have had to spend all day tackling a paper mountain I have ended up throwing 95% of it away and wondering why I kept it in the first place.

But just opening the mail immediately and throwing away non essential inserts helps a lot.

I don't have a special time for dealing with it. I try to keep on top of it as I go along.

I am really grateful to you for taking the time to post your advice, and to others who have done that too. I need a concerted effort to get me started. From where I'm currently sitting in Nenlet2's bedroom, which is my temporary study while mine is being decorated, I can see 6 piles of paperwork which need my attention. There are more piles in the other room and downstairs on the breakfast bar. I have earmarked part of tomorrow to attack some of them and plan to report back here to let you know how I'm doing.

Nen - apprehensive but determined.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

@ Nenya,and all who declutter.

Excelsior!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

If I did not know that this is a board where English is used, I would say, per ardua ad astra, colloquially translated as from the pits to the heights or through hard work to the stars. I still remember the principal at High School telling us to aim for the stars and we might hit a chimney pot.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ah, paperwork! I have almost finished Stage One of my study. I have rationalised my paperwork into (so far) 41 box files, all of which I have painted the same colour as my study wall, with their subject stencilled on in the same colour as the curtains. They are stacked right up to the ceiling.

I have only one plastic box of paperwork left unsorted.

Stage Two is to go through each box file; I'm aiming to do one a week.

[Big Grin]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] [Yipee] Hurrah, what an amazing amount of work.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The question is; how did I manage to let paperwork pile up to the extent that even after I'd sorted through it and shredded about a third, I still had 41 box files worth left??

Also, painting and stencilling box files is more fun than actually doing the paperwork!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016