homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 38)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
[QUOTE]
So pleasure from knitting and from wearing.

I have pleasure wearing a Lothlorien-knitted pair of socks, as well as pleasure in knitting (I love turning heels) and am working my way through a stash of light-weight yarn to top up my sock stash.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... He'd worn them every day except Sundays, when he washed them ...

That wouldn't have happened in the Western Isles ... [Devil]

The story reminds me of the old saying that Queen Victoria had a bath "once a month, whether she needed it or not". [Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have taken Cottontail's excellent advice and have bought Marie Kondos book (on my e reader, thus avoiding further clutter) and am reading the introduction. I note one former satisfied customer decluttered his/ her spouse. [Eek!]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you only ever buy black socks not only does it save confusion it also means you never have to wash them!

The evidence is here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
If you only ever buy black socks not only does it save confusion it also means you never have to wash them!

The evidence is here.

And just who taught you that, eh?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My singing club at work really love the Black Socks song!

It's a very mixed ability group of singers comprising of students who chose to be there, and staff who are there to support and not necessarily by choice. It's quite the most entertaining couple of hours of my week!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

The evidence is here.

And just who taught you that, eh?
You, O Illustrious Master - praise be to your illustrious name!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buttons.

We are binning some shirts which are frayed beyond redemption, but the buttons are perfectly good.

It is my habit to cut off such buttons and put them into the button tin. But, is there any point, really? I inherited my grandmother's button tin, and there are buttons in there on cards priced in old money. Some of those buttons are older than I am. The chances of any button going into that tin actually being used in the future is nil.

But old habits die hard....

Should I cut the buttons off? They're not clutter after all, as they have a home in the button tin all ready and waiting.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The button box is playtime. Open it, spill the contents out, sort them, try to find matching ones, tip them back, and,on your knees, grovel, looking for those that fell on the floor. Twenty minutes plus passes in a flash... and think of the exercise involved.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child I loved dumping my grandmother's button box and playing with them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have buttons enough to fill a bathtub. God knows what my kids will do with them when I die. At least I am trying to deal with the 14 floor-to-ceiling steel bookcases.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have a button plastic jar and always cut off the buttons when a shirt gets to qualify as dusters or whatever - they are, very occasionally, useful.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basic Idiot Question: How does one start with decluttering?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Bin bags, you need lots of bin bags!

You also need a ruthless streak and, in my case, reaching that point where I am screaming I can't live in this tip any more!

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did that. It helped, but not enough.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Basic Idiot Question: How does one start with decluttering?

Heheheheh. Check your email.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Buttons.

We are binning some shirts which are frayed beyond redemption, but the buttons are perfectly good.

It is my habit to cut off such buttons and put them into the button tin. But, is there any point, really? I inherited my grandmother's button tin, and there are buttons in there on cards priced in old money. Some of those buttons are older than I am. The chances of any button going into that tin actually being used in the future is nil.

But old habits die hard....

Should I cut the buttons off? They're not clutter after all, as they have a home in the button tin all ready and waiting.

Buttons are for giving to primary school teachers for their craft boxes and math counting projects. They will love and adore you.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I have buttons enough to fill a bathtub ...

For your next church fête count them into an actual bath-tub*, and have people guess how many there are. Charge something like 50¢ a pop, offering a suitably silly prize. [Big Grin]

* or other large vessel

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse--

Some things I've found helpful:

Space Clear--Spacious Home, Spacious Self
Stephanie's book "Your Spacious Self" focuses on sorting out emotions that lead to clutter and interfere with decluttering. Her approach is very gentle and kind.

Unclutterer

Unf*ck Your Habitat--You're Better Than Your Mess

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Buttons are for giving to primary school teachers for their craft boxes and math counting projects. They will love and adore you.

I loved playing with the button box that my mother and grandmother had when I was very little. My grandmother had worked at a place that made women's clothing and often was allowed to bring home left-overs.

These days, I'm wondering if small children in a school or daycare setting are allowed to do so. Buttons may be considered choking hazards.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... These days, I'm wondering if small children in a school or daycare setting are allowed to do so. Buttons may be considered choking hazards.

How else will they learn? [Devil]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

That's why I said "primary school," not "preschool." If children in general don't know better than to eat buttons by age 6, there's no hope for protecting them. (keeping them from shoving stuff up their noses and ears might take longer, mind)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son, age 9, put a dime up his nose. When I asked him how it had happened, he used a classic example of the passive voice: "A dime got up my nose." One must envision a wanton and unprovoked assault upon the bodily orifices by US coinage.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

These days, I'm wondering if small children in a school or daycare setting are allowed to do so. Buttons may be considered choking hazards.

My three-year-old and her classmates have stuck buttons (and various other objects) on to paper some time in the last few weeks.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

7.15 - The North East Man and I start the Marie Kondo thing, all full of enthusiasm.

8.15 - Our spirits are starting to break. We have stopped for a cup of tea. We are both wild-eyed and staring.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
That's probably normal. She does say that blitzing things means 6 months in her book. After one week, I am still working through my clothes, but I am seeing definite results. I am astonished by how little space they are taking up.

Great that the North East Man is on board, though.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The thing about tidying categories, rather than areas made sense.

We have a downstairs bathroom, an upstairs shower room, a BOGOF box for duplicates in the hall cupboard which includes toothpaste etc, and individual items wander - the Vicks menthol on a bedside table, the hand cream in a jacket pocket, the nail varnish remover on my desk. Invariably, once in the shower, it turns out that the shampoo is downstairs, or the conditioner upstairs. We keep buying more to make sure that there is at least one of everything in both places. Until we discover that both shampoos are downstairs, or both conditioners upstairs...

So collecting everything into the living room and sorting, and then deciding once and for all where everything went made such perfect sense.

Until we started....

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have twelve bottles of shower gel so far, and probably more still to be unearthed. So why have I found myself in the recent past in the shower with three bottles of conditioner, two tubes of scrub and no shower gel?
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The clothes are finished! [Yipee]

Three bin bags, and an equivalent for the charity shop. The wardrobe and drawers all neatly lined up or folded. I call that a job well done.

Next stage is terrifying me. It's been my nemesis in the past. It's ... papers ...

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not too much shower gel NE Quine - it's too much in the same place.

Huia - shower gel Queen

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We've spent a second night of sorting out the contents of our bathroom and showerroom. We had seven bottles of shampoo and ... thirteen bottles of conditioner.

We're about half way there.

It does seem to be working, though. Up to now, tidying the bathroom involved moving stuff upstairs into the shower room, and tidying the shower room meant moving stuff downstairs into the bathroom. We have binned four carrier bags worth of surplus packaging, out of date items etc. The North East Man has found an unopened aftershave he likes, and I've found some bath fizzers I'm looking forward to using.

But - how did we let so much stuff pile up in the first place? How did I fail to notice thirteen bottles of conditioner?

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once helped an elderly cousin of my mother's clean out some cupboards. The item she overbought was rubber gloves. She was really embarrassed until I told her about my collection of light bulbs [Hot and Hormonal] (this was before the longer lasting eco bulbs were available).

Finding the fizzies was a great reward for all your work. Well done.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toilet paper was on every shopping list for a long time for me. Thing is, there's basically just me here most of the time. I did not need four packs of multiple rolls each here. Now I do not get it in every order as if there were five people in the house and a constant stream of visitors. I was running out of storage space for it .

[ 02. October 2015, 21:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sock draw reduced so old socks have gone to a charity. A second bag came due to celebrating tonight as I needed to clear a hook for coats and decided to check through the outdoor stuff before hanging back up.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
But - how did we let so much stuff pile up in the first place? How did I fail to notice thirteen bottles of conditioner?

Tidying blindness? If something is always in the same place it looks as if it should be there. I've found it's easy to completely ignore things for weeks and months,tidying round them, before realising they could be thrown in the bin.
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also been decluttering toiletries etc this week. There are large cupboards in both the bathroom and the downstairs cloakroom containing toiletries and cleaning materials, a box of first aid and simple medical supplies in the kitchen and also a small but deep cupboard of cleaning materials.
I was somewhat surprised at the multiples of various items, too. Strangest is the collection of carpet stain removers, Three (or maybe four) each of which has probably only been used to remove one stain then got shoved to the back of the cupboard to be replaced with a new bottle when the next stain occurred.

Before I started that particular job I cleared out the dressing table drawers and found a couple of very tarnished silver lockets. Couldn't see any silver polish, so on Saturday bought a polish impregnated cloth to give them a bit of a clean.
And yes - at the back of that small, deep cupboard I found another of those cloths, a tin of Silvo, a jar of Silver Dip, and a rectangular metal sheet that claims to clean silver by some form of electrolysis (presumably a commercial version of the aluminium foil and baking soda method demonstrated on YouTube).
At least I'll have the right equipment to hand when I start de-cluttering the loft and find Mr RoS's father's silver trophies. [Biased]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just cleared a shelf of a book case.....and solved the problem of Bags for Charity Shops under the stairsL one of those internet sites that pay for unwanted books and dvds.

There's a box taped up and ready to go by the table and hopefully just over £20 in the bank by this time next week

hurrah!

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I've started on the papers. The shredding machine is red hot, and I have filled a bin bag already. So much more to go. [Frown]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to buy shampoo and conditioner, washing up liquid, washing tablets and laundry conditioner only when on a special offer or BOGOF. It's mainly why I tend to have more of any of these items than I reasonably need at any one time!

Think it's also because a few years ago when I knew I'd be going through a very tight time financially I stocked up for about a year's supply on those items beforehand, and seemed to have maintained those levels ever since!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention the boxful of accumulated hotel toiletries and free sample shower-gel/shampoo sachets I unearthed.
I will pass all the mini tablets of soap and travel-toothbrushes to the folk packing shoeboxes for the Samaritans Purse appeal this year - but can they include sachets of shower gel in the boxes?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anything liquid or semi-liquid can go in shoeboxes, RoS - sorry!

(memo to self - get shoeboxes down from church attic, where they were 'decluttered' to last year after turning up too late for the Samaritan's Purse project!)

Mrs. S, writing on her hand [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here, food banks and women's shelters are always happy for small toiletry items.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have finished the bathroom and shower room and are delighted. The concept of decluttering by category rather than place did the trick.

We threw away 6 carrier bags full, and can now see and access what we need and use. I estimate that if we hadn't done it, I'd have spent £20 between now and Christmas buying more of stuff we already had.

The only downside is that it took several hours, off and on, and our living room floor disappeared for 48 hours. Still, it should save time in the long run.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am selling my son's toddler toys on Ebay. Since he is 27 years old he is cool with it.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Son and his friend tidied my pantry yesterday which was very messy. It's beautiful now. I sorted three big totes of wool and sewing supplies. I was planning on making more charity hats for children's oncology ward at Westmead kids Hospital. I have given away three garbage bags of good wool to others who will do charity items from it. I still have plenty left for my own knitting.

Looking at pantry now makes my mind sigh thankfully. Not a lot went out as out of date etc, but it is all tidy and sorted by category.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three more boxes sorted, sealed and off for free dispatch.
Two book cases that now only contain books one row deep.
A CD stand that has oodles of space in it now.
+ a bit more money in the bank.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I don't think anything liquid or semi-liquid can go in shoeboxes, RoS - sorry!

That's what I thought, and I think charity shops are a bit wary of toiletries. I'll try freecycle, although I've not had much success there recently - there are two disassembled bookcases hanging about in my dining room that no-one wants [Frown]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Around here, food banks and women's shelters are always happy for small toiletry items.

I'll try the local food bank, thanks.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew that, Pigwidgeon, but it slipped my mind completely - sorry [Hot and Hormonal]

Bad memory is NOT the declutterer's friend. As I told y'all at wearisome length, I had a new kitchen (including new fridge, freezer etc). New freezer had very cute little ice-cube trays.

Come last Friday Mr. S came home from his shift at the food bank with a carrier bag full of fresh ginger which I peeled and finely chopped. Looked round for old ice-cube trays in which to freeze it - oh sh*t, did I throw them out? must have done. Poo. Down to local supermarket which didn't have ice-cube trays - but did have silicone baking trays shaped like 3-inch high owls. Not at all sure when I shall make 3-inch high owl cakes, but *have* to have them. Also cake pop (?) moulds which will do to freeze ginger.

Next day go to larger supermarket which *does* have ice-cube trays. Buy two ice-cube trays - but all the ginger has now been frozen in the cake pop moulds. Decide to store ice-cube trays in tidy, lidded plastic boxes on top of new kitchen cupboards. Climb up on stool, lift down box, find -

ice-cube trays [Killing me]

Mrs. S, still cursing [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Now is not the time to tell Mrs S of the ability to use ginger straight from the freezer, is it? I just grate mine straight from a frozen block of the stuff...)

I, er, decluttered the freezer. Or, in other words, came back from the Farmers Market with stuff for the freezer and realised that it was chock a block.

I chucked out things which were unidentifiable, or provenance dated from far too long ago (the skirt beef bought during Mr F's stint of parental leave to make some sort of pastie. Three years ago.) But still have a packed freezer. So October is buy-no-protein (for it is mostly meat and fish) month, and I'm hoping to start November with freezer space I can use productively (for important things like ice cream).

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016