homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite right, Ferijen - get your priorities right. [Big Grin]

Our freezer is the top third-or-so of the fridge - the fridge seems quite big (compared to our UK under-the-counter job) but the freezer sort of isn't (it has two shelves plus a couple of narrow door shelves) - I always think it's nice when I go to it and can actually find things because it's not too stuffed.

I dream of one of those wardrobe-style ones with the fridge on one side and the freezer on the other, but because of the size of the kitchen, dreaming is all I'll get to do ... **sigh**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferijen, at least you know where to come if you want to make owl-shaped cakes!

Mrs. S, possessor of a freezer full of ginger [Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago, I ordered a couple of knobs of ginger in online grocery order. Whoever picked the order had no idea of what order meant. When I unpacked it, I discovered a huge amount of ginger, much like a big hand of bananas. I had been charged a small amount.

My brother suggested chopping into chunks and covering in plastic container with sherry. It worked well, although I did store it in fridge.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And when you finished the ginger, was the sherry any good? Enquiring minds...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Ferijen, at least you know where to come if you want to make owl-shaped cakes!

I was rather tempted by your description and wondered if it was our joint local supermarket and whether I should buy some owl shaped cake making tools myself.

(To go with the 200 or so biscuit cutters, and various novelty cake dishes including a train, a plane, a bugs bunny, a flower, and little castles. Let's just call it adventures in baking ideas...)

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you find yourself with a large quantity of fresh ginger root, it is easy to make it into ginger beer. Just chop it and steep it in water for a week or so, then drain off and add sugar to taste.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
And when you finished the ginger, was the sherry any good? Enquiring minds...

I don't drink a lot of sherry. I forget it is there. However, it was quite strongly gingery, a bit much for drinking. I did use it in cooking and the fruit cake was great with it as part of the liquid.

[ 07. October 2015, 20:09: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferijen - the one at Lordshill rather than the posh one in town! and they are awfully cute [Smile]

I used to use a teddy bear cutter to make my son's sandwiches, scones etc - hard to imagine at 6'3" that he was ever a fussy eater...

Mrs. S, proud owner of an Icelandic pony-shaped biscuit cutter [Cool]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... Mrs. S, proud owner of an Icelandic pony-shaped biscuit cutter [Cool]

Now that really is cool. [Cool]

I have trouble with cute-little-animal-shaped food. People sometimes give me teddy-bear or piggy-shaped chocolates, and I can't eat them - if it's got a cute little face I don't want to hurt it ... [Hot and Hormonal]

soft-hearted piglet

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

At one stage we had a cupboard-full of chocolate animals - hedgehogs and so on - that the kids couldn't possibly eat, even Master S at 6'3" (see above). So in the end their best-by dates disappeared so far over the event horizon I had to throw them away [Frown]

Mrs. S harsh declutterer of chocolate cuddlies [Devil]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago I brought some sweets back from holiday, foam sweets in the shape of the Virgin Mary, and gave them out at church, including one to my friend's Gran. After her death her daughters were decluttering her house (back on topic!) and found the sweet on a shelf. she could never bring herself to eat the BVM.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Biting the head off a Jelly Baby is one thing, biting the head off the BVM is another category altogether!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first person to tuck in to one of the sweets was the then priest. Make of that what you will.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Yes, You Can Have A Lot of Stuff and Still Be Organized (Here’s How)" (Apartment Therapy) is a surprisingly balanced, no-shame article. First paragraph:

quote:
There's a war on stuff lately. Minimalist manifestos abound, both inspiring decluttering and shame. If you've gotten the impression that to be an organized person you can't own more than one of a particular object, we want to assure you that yes, you can have a healthy love of stuff and collecting and still manage to have an organized home. Here are are best tips to have the best of both worlds.
Can you say "breath of fresh air"? BTW, that's a good site for most anything home-related, other than yards, etc.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{{All}}}}}}}

I've gotten rid of (mumble) bags of stuff in the last few days.
[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What felt like a major declutter in the roofspace failed to find what I was trying to find and also doesn't appear to have made much of an I,pact up there. Down here though there are heaps waiting to go to charity shop, new owners or the dump so I know a fair bit came down [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My pest-control guy announced an invasion of mice. Our nice warm house is attractive, as winter approaches. I scolded the cats ("What am I giving you kibble for?") but my husband moved everything off the top shelves in the basement, to give the pest-control man room to work. We were able to not put lots of the stuff back! Either Goodwill or Freecycle is getting it all.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In spite of working on the decluttering for about 18months now,I seem to have have made little impact.
The time has now come when we find ourselves with 6weeks in which to reduce the contents of this house, which we have been cramming with stuff for 30+ years, by half.

The planned downsizing has now moved from something we are talking about doing to there being an actual property, and solicitors preparing contracts [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

How I wish I could get us to that state. Alas, my husband must be the main driver of this and he is slow.
I had kept the trunk I took to college for 40 years. Today I gave it away!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband has not been participating in the decluttering so far, but was the one who found a buyer for our house, and is very eager to buy the property we are after.
I am hoping this will galvanise him into action now we have actually to dispose of our surplus possessions.
He is very good at the theory, but not so good on the action, especially when speed is of the essence!

Perhaps Mr Clough will get the moving urge come the spring, and the property market should be more active then?

This morning I sent Mr RoS into the loft, before he went to work, to fetch down the Christmas decorations. I have now boxed up the ones we haven't used for years and put them up on Freecycle - along with a year's worth of used greetings cards, a box of part-used colouring & activity books and about 15 kiddies jigsaws.
An equal quantity of jigsaws are boxed up, ready for the next tour of the local charity shops.
Now, where to tackle next?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As followers of the Aged Parents thread will know, my 93 y.o. mother moved into an Aged Care residence in January. She has now come to accept that she will not be moving back into the Apartment in which she lived for the previous 30 years (20 of them with my father, before he died), and has asked me to prepare the apartment for sale.

The good news is that she was not as bad a hoarder as some of those shown on TV (where the cameraman can barely find room to walk in through the piles of old newspapers or whatever.

The bad news is that every one of the many built-in cupboards/ wardrobes in the fairly large apartment is full to the brim. This includes about 200 old ice cream containers neatly stacked in the kitchen cupboard, and about 20 suitcases occupying all the top cupboards (which she could not reach herself, being quite petite).

Mrs T reckons that she (my mother) hadn't thrown out anything other than wet garbage for the full 30 years! She has asked me to pull her up if she (Mrs T) ever shows such tendencies.

Mrs T and I have just spent the past week in Phase 1 of the clear-out, having travelled 1500km to do so. The main objective of Phase 1 was to move valuable stuff (including several pieces of antique furniture identified explicitly in her will as specific bequests) to one of those lock-up storage places. Of course the sideboards (packed with china) had to be emptied first, and the contents carefully packed. Some strong young men (professional removalists) helped.

We were also helped by our oldest daughter, who started to sort the clothes cupboards and chests of drawers, all of which were of course chokka. Said daughter is also petite and quite fancied some of the dresses, which she said were now back in fashion as "retro"! So she took one suitcase full with her on the plane back to Sydney, and left another 4 suitcases full in the lock-up for later collection.

In the course of this work, we also filled a 3m3 skip with rubbish and also about a dozen packing boxes full of clothes and kitchen-ware for the local op shops.

All of which is just Phase 1.

When we can next get a couple of weeks "free" - probably about March next year - we will move on to Phase 2 (clearing out the remainder of the contents, i.e. at least as much again) and Phase 3 (redecorating the walls, which are covered mostly in 30 year old decayed wall-paper).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My sympathies, Tukai. Your post reminds me of clearing out MIL's place. In one microwave were stored about 80 of the empty small containers of fruit and syrup from Meals on Wheels. A small chest of drawers held innumerable pieces of foil. some clean, most greasy. Annual reports from her RSL club dating back to 1947 were on the wardrobe floor. Hidden in the middle of these was the set of exercises from physiotherapist after her first of three hip replacements.

There was much more along these lines. Think felt hats forty years old which had been worn to church then but were little more than a hotel for moths when we found them

The worst however was just plain disgusting. She had once kept a cat but it had died at least five years before the cleanout. DIL who was working with me, picked up an eiderdown. Apparently the cat had peed on it and it was little more than a compost heap. I found the same thing with a pile of newspapers in the second bedroom.

Nothing was ever thrown out. Some years before she gave us an old fridge. When I went to clean it, I discovered it was full of plastic bags, all shapes and sizes. I stopped counting at 1100.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have my sympathy too, Tukai. We had the same with my MIL. The loft was full to the back. She saved everything! The trouble was, we couldn't just employ house clearance as she tended to hide valuables among the detritus. It took many weeks to clear the house.

This has made me all the more determined to be sure my house is clutter-free. I confess to a tendency to keep containers etc 'just in case'. But now they all GO! After all, if I had a sudden need for containers they are cheap as chops to buy from any £1 shop! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The trouble was, we couldn't just employ house clearance as she tended to hide valuables among the detritus. It took many weeks to clear the house.

We have that complication too.

[ 07. November 2015, 20:58: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Our house was heading in that direction - if we hadn't decided on this move our kids would have had a similar amount of clearing out to do after our demise. They would probably just have hired a skip and dumped the lot rather than sort it out, which would have meant losing a lot of quite interesting "family archive" and some valuable odds & ends.
Luckily for them, I got the job!

I started to panic last week as I added more and more to the piles of bags & boxes collecting round the house, but finally Mr RoS started to shift it. Two trips to the tip, and three supermarket-trolley-loads taken to the charity shops over the last couple of days has freed up some space for the next lot.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What I find depressing, especially looking at this thread over time, is how we all naturally acquire Stuff, as the sparks fly upward. How is it that our possessions do not naturally become less, rather than more, over the passage of time? It seems very unfair. (And, while we're at it, why do we not acquire more hair over the years, instead of losing it?)

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
My pest-control guy announced an invasion of mice. Our nice warm house is attractive, as winter approaches. I scolded the cats ("What am I giving you kibble for?")

I meant to get back to this earlier. I had an infestation of mice caused by the cat who used to catch them outside and bring them in to show me how clever he was. He just neglected to kill them first [Frown]

I have managed to declutter the 6 ft high freezer left to me my Mother's cousin [Yipee] A friend's freezer stopped so he needed an urgent replacement.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That lot of decluttering was well managed, Huia.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I meant to get back to this earlier. I had an infestation of mice caused by the cat who used to catch them outside and bring them in to show me how clever he was. He just neglected to kill them first [Frown]

Here is how someone else solved that problem.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

PopSugar has a list of 116 things to throw away.

The writer includes donating, recycling, etc. as part of throwing away. And it's a good list. Mostly those odds and ends that you can't think of what to do with at the time, or aren't quite hopeless enough to throw away, so you stuff them somewhere.

And she doesn't guilt trip! [Smile]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but... she really doesn't GET books, does she? I don't keep books I've read 'for display'. I keep them to reread.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Yes, but... she really doesn't GET books, does she? I don't keep books I've read 'for display'. I keep them to reread.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I had a birthday party last week and annoyingly, even though I had been firm about only edible gifts, someone brought me a print. It is quite large and depicts two sail boats. Now I either have to spring to frame it, or give it away somehow.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be suitable as a Christmas gift (to someone who is not acquainted with the person who gave it to you)?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I know of a group that does silent auctions, for charity. I may give it to them.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
They would probably just have hired a skip and dumped the lot rather than sort it out

Amend that to "several skips" - and it would cost vast amounts.

Tired of my panicky complaining our sons said if we hired a skip they would come & sort out the junk in the loft & garage this w/e.
Yesterday afternoon they started on the loft, keeping (or taking home) items of use or value - they have all but filled the (6yd) skip, and haven't been near the (big double) garage.

They are coming back today to deal with the garage, but I think they will only be able to sort out what is to keep and what is to be disposed of, as there's next to no room left in the skip.
The weather is atrocious, and i'm embarrased and ashamed that they have to do this.

With time so short, me so stressed, and with both Mr lil and myself injured in decluttering-related accidents they have arranged for a decluttering/downsizing company to come and assess the situation & resolve the various problems still facing us.

I dread to think how much this is going to cost, but I am so stressed at the size of the task remaining, even after 18months at it, that I think it is the only way to get through this and remain sane/married and be able to face the work that needs doing in the new place.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((((Roseofsharon))))

Don't be embarrassed. You have two great hulking grown-up sons, whom you have brought up very well indeed, and who are now returning the favour of countless nappies changed and noses wiped by helping out their parents. Be proud - you did a great job when it mattered. And now they are doing a great job when it matters to you.

We all need a bit of help sometimes. There's no shame in it. And hopefully this last push will sort out the situation once and for all.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well said, Cottontail. It is still hard however to accept help from family. Different circumstances but I am happy my own sons take good care of me.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And for those of us without children, A lifetime spent helping friends when they needed it has resulted in some great karma. One friend not only decorated my utility room, but organised it, labelling every cupboard, box and drawer. 12 months later, when I needed a specific Allen key, the small tools box yielded it. [Yipee]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can they be my friend too please?

I don't even know anyone that organised [Waterworks]

Just thinking about decluttering can help. Today I moved a pile of stuff in my bedroom wondering where to start, and lo and behold the long lost handpiece of the cordless phone appeared. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We threw a party last weekend, a birthday celebration This was the incentive for some major clearing out -- the recycling bin was filled to the top three times running. And we agree that it really is better!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Well, it's done!
The skip is absolutely full (maybe over full - I guess I'll find that out when they come to collect it).

There is still some stuff left, but the boys have organised the loft and garage so that it is all gathered different piles; things to move with us, things that may have some financial value at auction and things still to be thrown away - all this, they say, should come under the remit of the downsizing company. We get to meet their representative & discuss our needs (and the cost [Ultra confused] ) on Wednesday.

After the lectures we have had from them I was highly amused by the number of things our sons packed in the car and took away with them - our daughters-in-law will not find it so amusing!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

After the lectures we have had from them I was highly amused by the number of things our sons packed in the car and took away with them - our daughters-in-law will not find it so amusing!

Ah, but it is now what Hitch-Hikers' Guide To The Galaxy calls S.E.P Somebody Else's Problem -the best kind to have really [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hired a friend to help me tackle the kitchen. We filled the trash can (American sized - big). She is good at telling me to ditch stuff that is missing a part or that I have two of (because at some point I couldn't find it so I bought another), or haven't used in a decade.

For the first time in years everything in the kitchen fits! (Well, except for one counterfull of stuff.) Onward to the living room.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Well done Belle. I like the idea of hiring a friend because I know I sometimes need someone else's input.

Also it's reassuring to know someone else has bought double when they couldn't find something [Hot and Hormonal] I'm hoping that having less clutter will mean I don't do this as often.

I've started on clearing the stuff out of the pantry that's passed its "best before" date. I think my organics bins is going to be full this week.

Huia

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Also it's reassuring to know someone else has bought double when they couldn't find something [Hot and Hormonal] I'm hoping that having less clutter will mean I don't do this as often.

And less double buying will, in turn, mean less clutter!
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Decluttering at a whole new - lower - level this afternoon. I went to help my sister-in-law clear the flat occupied till Tuesday by my brother, her (separated) husband, now deceased. OMG and I mean that very sincerely - the detritus of 51 years, half of it never unpacked in three or four moves [Eek!]

I was thinking of taking some things for my mother the Dowager, but then I thought 'I'll only have to throw them away once she dies and I have her house to clear'. Old toys. Photos. Golf stuff, unused. Presents people had bought him, never opened [brick wall]

People, I implore you - clear out your cr*p now. Get that skip. Go to the dump. For the sake of those coming after you, just do it.

Sorry.

The apologetic Mrs. S [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Decluttering, or the lack thereof, is causing very loud and tearful rows in our house on a daily basis. I can't see us being rid of all the cr@p before we have to move out. [Mad] [Waterworks]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
We have finished the bathroom and shower room and are delighted. The concept of decluttering by category rather than place did the trick.

We threw away 6 carrier bags full, and can now see and access what we need and use. I estimate that if we hadn't done it, I'd have spent £20 between now and Christmas buying more of stuff we already had.

The only downside is that it took several hours, off and on, and our living room floor disappeared for 48 hours. Still, it should save time in the long run.

Two months later we are still delighted. Every morning since has been slightly easier than our previous morning routine (or lack thereof). We have spent only 65p on toiletries since, and the cupboard is actually getting tidier as we have worked our way through part of the backlog.

Since then we have decluttered several small categories (shoes / baking supplies / storage jars), but at this rate it will take a lot more than six months.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now working on my study. I only work one day a week now and need very little of the masses of stuff. I gave myself a week - hah! It will be months - but I refuse to give in!

:determinedface:

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016