homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I like the idea of Lent resolutions as well - so much more constructive than giving things up. I'm going to give it some thought. Thanks, Mrs S. [Smile]

I like the Lent idea, too. I think it's partly about gratitude, for me. I have stuff I don't need and am resentful of because it's in the way and makes me feel guilty.

There's also stuff which was here when I moved in, which is blocking the shelves in the box room (a long, narrow storage room with shelves at the back, coat hooks, fuse box, &c). I have already been at it once, and got rid of most of the cardboard (I don't really think I need to keep the boxes for the computer before last), so I'm no longer in danger of being killed in the avalanche when I open the door.

I have got a few days off work coming up, so I have booked a man with a van to come and take some of the stuff away (a washing machine? Why is there a washing machine in there?!?) and bribed my brother (easily bribed, with beer and petrol money!) to come and get rid of some other stuff.

I will then be able to get at the shelving, and maybe put up some more shelving down one of the side walls, so the space will be more useful. I think a couple of these Ikea shelving units with some extra shelves will be perfect.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:

I will then be able to get at the shelving, and maybe put up some more shelving down one of the side walls, so the space will be more useful. I think a couple of these Ikea shelving units with some extra shelves will be perfect.

We have one and while it can hold a lot BEWARE! There are no sides, so you might need something to stop books etc falling out of it. We also have a couple of these which can hold two rows of paperbacks, which is OK if you can keep your books organised enough to find them subsequently.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still slightly in denial about the Room of Doom (my study), but following a conversation with my boss last week I think I'm going to have to get really serious about writing, which means I'm going to have to have a decent writing space. I think I'm going to try to do a little bit daily, and see where that takes me.

Chive, how did Tuesday go? Hope it works out with your cleaner and you can feel less anxious about it as time goes on.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cross eyed bear
Shipmate
# 13977

- Posted      Profile for cross eyed bear   Email cross eyed bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni Sais
quote:
If you can keep your books organised enough to find them subsequently
I also have paperbacks in double rows, but have put old shoeboxes lengthwise along the back of the shelves to raise the back row to a higher level than the front row. It's a great use of space and means you can see enough of the spines of the back row to identify the book relatively quickly.

I've been a lurker to this thread, but you've had a great effect! I've sent books to online sellers/charity shops, my collection of old glasses (spectacles) to lunettes sans frontieres, sold stuff on ebay, sent broken electrical stuff to a recycling organisation, given duplicate kitchen stuff to a girl moving into a new flat, and the house is unusually organised. I'm putting off the paperwork, though...

--------------------
"One false step in my direction, you'd better believe in the resurrection" Stillgoe & Skellern's "Mrs Beamish"

Posts: 120 | From: Southern Germany | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Cross eyed bear [Smile]
No marking this week and I've got a few hours to spare so I'm going to have a decluttering week. The bedroom still has a few piles that need sorting since the big overhaul last September and I could do with tidying the cupboard I keep my OU work and studying materials in. Might do a book declutter too.
Really I need to completely clear out the sewing room/study but that might require a brave step too far!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great stuff cross eyed bear.

Chive - I've been wondering how you got on as well. Hope it all went OK.

Heavenly Anarchist - glad the parcel arrived safely.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our decluttering proceeds slowly. My wife has now attacked her craft room, resulting in the hitherto narrow passage to her workspace being much enlarged, as items migrated from the floor to the redundant shelves transferred from other rooms, or even into the bin. She admitted to a friend a few days ago that she was a compulsive hoarder, the first time I've heard a public acknowledgement.

I have spent the last two days cleaning and restacking our pantry, courtesy of a marauding mouse. The result - lovely sparkling clean shelves, and the disposal of many small packets of stale foodstuffs which had managed to become hidden in back corners or on the top shelf.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cleared out the cupboard under the kitchen sink at the weekend. Several things went in the bin, including an old rusty wok. We're keeping the baking trays and a few other bits, but I now have a bag of mugs and glasses that will be donated to the local women's refuge, via one of our local councillors.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great stuff everybody!

I've been decorating my bedroom, hence no access over the weekend - but at least the decluttering *should* be minimal. Having said that, there are about 42 feet of bookshelves (no, 14 shelves each 3 ft. wide - not a 42 ft. run of shelves!) which will require careful monitoring of the contents as they are replaced.

The room looks so much bigger without them, but there's nowhere else to put them and I can't do without them all. AND a blanket box absolutely FULL of photographs - I really mustn't just put them straight back, however tempting that might be [Confused]

In other news, the last of the eBay sales was collected by the courier yesterday, and you can put your feet down in the understairs cupboard [Yipee] for the first time in 21 years!

Mrs. S, emulsion on her glasses and gloss paint under her fingernails

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sorted the work/study cupboard yesterday and my kitchen is looking much tidier for it. I also threw out a pile of sewing magazines and have ready about 50 books to recycle. Today I might start tackling the piles of miscellaneous items in the bedroom.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay to all of us!

(HA - any more of this and you'll need to change your name! [Big Grin] )

Mrs. S, snickering hound

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The gas heaters and washing machine have gone! I have a usable box room! [Big Grin]

Now I just need to glom off to Ikea... [Frown]

Still, into every life a little rain must fall.

--------------------
Website.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
The gas heaters and washing machine have gone! I have a usable box room! [Big Grin]

Now I just need to glom off to Ikea... [Frown]

Still, into every life a little rain must fall.

As this isn't the weight loss thread, you could reward yourself with Dime/Daim bar cake ...

The Envious Mrs. S!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked at the local vets today whether they'd like our old pillows and duvets and the answer was in the negative. [Roll Eyes] I'll try the animal rescue place and if not it'll all have to be ditched.

I have a charity bag and plan to spend part of Saturday filling it with shoes and handbags and clothes. Will also be decluttering the books some more.

Nen - planning ahead. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I asked at the local vets today whether they'd like our old pillows and duvets and the answer was in the negative. [Roll Eyes] I'll try the animal rescue place and if not it'll all have to be ditched.

I have a charity bag and plan to spend part of Saturday filling it with shoes and handbags and clothes. Will also be decluttering the books some more.

Nen - planning ahead. [Smile]

Nen - are there no local homeless shelters or similar?

Mrs. S, reluctant to see anything go to be ditched - hopefully not actually *in* a ditch...

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter is visiting from another city for the weekend, and popped her head into our bedroom and said "Is the bed smaller, or is there just more space in here now?" Given that a bookshelf, a wonky shoe cupboard, set of drawers and valet stool have disappeared, you can imagine my answer.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

The most excellent rosabrother came and went to the tip, with the contents of my box room in his possession.

I washed the shelves & steam mopped the floor, and put stuff on the shelves.

Then the nice man from Ikea came with two sets of shelves, so I put those together. 112 screws went in by hand, I want a power screwdriver. *Applies ice to wrist*.

Tomorrow I will start putting more things on the new shelves, I think I've done enough for today.

--------------------
Website.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{Stocks thread pantry with first aid kit, remedies, comfort food, etc.}

Making some progress.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
My daughter is visiting from another city for the weekend, and popped her head into our bedroom and said "Is the bed smaller, or is there just more space in here now?" Given that a bookshelf, a wonky shoe cupboard, set of drawers and valet stool have disappeared, you can imagine my answer.

"Yes." [Smile]

Mrs S - I'll contact the local rescue places, but there isn't much homelessness round where I live... fortunately. The stuff won't be chucked if I can help it.

I did so well yesterday but today can't get my head round any proper sorting at all. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - boom and bust declutterer.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work from the manse, as the minister... Moved into it last May.
In the study.... I unpacked the books, but that was all. The rest of the room became the catch-all for everything, and I worked from the living room table.
Today, my houseguest and I went to work AND VOILA! Lovely, usable, clean, sorted study.
And a car full of rubbish went to the town's tip.
YAY!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

SOMEONE - I suspect Wodders - has changed the name of this thread and it's NOT FAIR! [Mad]

*WE* aren't the hoarders - we may be ex-hoarders or on our 12-step way to becoming ex-hoarders - but we deserve a lot more credit than we're getting here!

Seriously, I find it impressive and very touching how people's lives have actually been changed (for the better!) by clearing out Stuff from their homes, and by extension, their lives.

Having done all the cooking I reasonably could on such a wet Sunday afternoon, I started on the blanket-box full of photographs and it is by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to declutter. Mercifully Mr. S does not want to digitise the entire archive (Heaven be praised!) but I am still wrestling with how they should be filed or arranged. I suppose I'll just keep plugging away at throwing out endless views of A Hillside in Crete, and maybe even some A Small Baby in a Blanket could go as well...

Mrs. S, hardening her heart [Devil]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I a hoarder? Yes - by nature I am, but I fight that nature daily and feel MUCH better for it.

Yesterday I 'did out' under the sink (again) so friends can wash up at parties without everything falling out on them.

Next job - spare room wardrobe. It has been full of all sorts of junk for years. We now have a spare room as Boogielet2 moved out properly on Friday, not just to college or uni this time - to his first home.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
I work from the manse, as the minister... Moved into it last May.
In the study.... I unpacked the books, but that was all. The rest of the room became the catch-all for everything, and I worked from the living room table.

Gulp. I'm moving into a Manse in two weeks time. I have boxes and boxes of papers needing sorted out. That is so going to be me.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Next job - spare room wardrobe. It has been full of all sorts of junk for years. We now have a spare room as Boogielet2 moved out properly on Friday, not just to college or uni this time - to his first home.

[Smile]

Congratulations Boogie!

When Master S. finally *really* moved out it took Miss S and me three entire months to empty his room completely. [Eek!] It was so worth it though!

Mrs. S, looking back in relief!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I hate being labelled a hoarder. [Mad] Real hoarders have binliners full of stuff in their baths and can't find their beds or their floors for rubbish.

I, meanwhile, have gaps on my bookshelves, a half filled charity bag and a tidy breakfast bar.

Nen - throwing her toys out of the pram, another way to declutter.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep walking past my study door and going "Ahhhhh!" with delight.
H*** the mnse move mentioned above goes well.

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the good wishes, Rowen. It's going to be a chaotic week. But you give me h*o*p*e*. [Smile] (Because that word appears to be on the censors' list!)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Now all the macro unpacking done, and I can move on to the micro.... Just did the medicine cabinet.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
But you give me h*o*p*e*. [Smile]

Ain't that the truth! Reading about other people's successes is a great way to motivate yourself, I think.

Mrs. S, loving Nen's last status!

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm realizing I can ditch the cookbooks. For a couple years now, if I want to cook something I look for a recipe on the web.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, we've all been vindicated - I read an article in the Telegraph saying that de-cluttering is definitely The Way To Success >>
Telegraph

so we look forward to untold success this year [Yipee]

Mrs. S, feeling smug!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Well, we've all been vindicated - I read an article in the Telegraph saying that de-cluttering is definitely The Way To Success >>
Telegraph

so we look forward to untold success this year.

Mrs. S, feeling smug!

[Yipee]

I must say my experience is the opposite. Clutter = confused mind, not confused mind = clutter (if you see what I mean)

If my environment is uncluttered then I am able to relax and become more productive. If I'm living in clutter I'm distracted by it. (Partly because it shouts at me to clear it up!)

<edited because my :spin: wouldn't yipee!>

[ 18. February 2013, 11:03: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally realized my constant sense of mild frustration comes from the homeless woman's stuff overflowing my covered patio and cluttering my living room and hall. It's stressing my life. Friends say they'll help with a garage sale but in reality everyone's busy. Ads for individual items aren't getting responses.

I have termites, I have to get rid of the stuff now so the pest control folks can access the whole exterior of the house.

Saturday morning I'll haul what I can from behind the house to the front. I would start moving stuff today but it's supposed to rain. I'll take whatever anyone offers and take the rest to the women's shelter thrift shop and call a social worker friend to fetch the big stuff for someone she knows could use it.

Good thing about a garage sale of her stuff, I can throw some of my own stuff into it. Yea! Get.rid.of.stuff! Maybe get her some money. And get my patio back!

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Finally realized my constant sense of mild frustration comes from the homeless woman's stuff overflowing my covered patio and cluttering my living room and hall. It's stressing my life. Friends say they'll help with a garage sale but in reality everyone's busy. Ads for individual items aren't getting responses.

I have termites, I have to get rid of the stuff now so the pest control folks can access the whole exterior of the house.

Saturday morning I'll haul what I can from behind the house to the front. I would start moving stuff today but it's supposed to rain. I'll take whatever anyone offers and take the rest to the women's shelter thrift shop and call a social worker friend to fetch the big stuff for someone she knows could use it.

Good thing about a garage sale of her stuff, I can throw some of my own stuff into it. Yea! Get.rid.of.stuff! Maybe get her some money. And get my patio back!

Good luck with that Belle [Overused] don't you find you feel better having made a plan - any plan?

Mrs. S, Proud Promulgator of Plans

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have reached a plateaux - a bit like the diet!

So today I am going to throw everything to be decluttered on to the landing (my paint cupboard) to force me to get on with it!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Most friends I asked for help with the garage sale are busy (it's our life style), but one will come by for 20 minutes on her way to work to give me a potty break.

But then a neighbor said she needs money and will being her stuff and join me. Yea! Bigger is more attractive, two people is much better than one, and she said it's perfect timing for her. And the weather prediction still says clear tomorrow and Saturday. Looking good!

AND, half a day setting up, half a day selling, half a day cleaning up - is time not on line! Time outdoors! Needed changes in my life. Decluttering is healthy!

AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to get Hubby to help with the spare room: removing the guitars (they now live in the remodeled basement), putting in a futon and new rug, painting 2 walls, getting rid of all the boxes of stuff we stuck in there to go through later, and getting rid of all the excess books overflowing the shelves.
The next day his mother broke her leg; now she's staying with us for 2 months. So either it's lucky we had all that done, or as a friend put it, it's a feng shui backfire.

Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AmyBo [Killing me] Sorry to laugh, hope mil is recovering well.

I have just donated nearly all my cassette tapes. I never listen to them and can find anything I might want on youtube.

Plus a couple more bits of clothing.

Next up - some video tapes. I never watch them. We still have a video recorder but my DH says it doesn't work with the new TV. I haven't been able to persuade him to dump the recorder. So I am not sure if it really won't work with a modern TV or if he can't work out how to do it but won't admit it. This has happened before [Roll Eyes]

[ 25. February 2013, 11:12: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

My friend has taken up decluttering for Lent - she has heaps of paper about the place and wants to tidy them up (she lives alone, so no one to nag her about them!) Progress is being made in that she went through one heap - and then put it back! - but at least she now knows what's in the heap and has promised to Sort It Out on her day off, Friday.

Thyme - I recognise that feeling too!

Mrs S, remaining to be convinced [Killing me]

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cleaner is here for her first day (illness and my incompetence delayed things). She is currently completely gutting the bathroom (which needed it). And even better because she's here I've been motivated myself and cleared the table top, the drawers and the bureau in my living room.

I is so proud (and slightly smug at myself) but a long, long way to go yet.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Wow did I under estimate the time needed to do a garage sale!

Sale was Saturday 8 to noon. At 1 my friend and decided to go to lunch, having been up since 6 without a break. As we were pulling out a woman drove up - tables have all been pushed back to the house and blankets thrown over them and no one standing in the driveway but she's getting out of the car. What was she going to do, remove the blankets? We called to her "it ended an hour ago" and drove away exhausted, ignoring her protest.

Then the whole afternoon packing, sorting what to toss what to keep for another time. (?) Next day we both collapsed. Monday we were both short tempered from still being too tired. Add almost two days sorting and pricing before hand, it's a week of work! For about $80, not worth it.

But good to be outdoors for a day, meet lots of neighbors, there's value in that. My friend made about $70 and really needs the money, so does the homeless woman whose stuff I'm selling, so I guess it was worth while. It got rid of a lot of stuff! Yea!

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Great work chive, congratulations.

Your homeless friend can't complain you didn't try Belle Ringer!

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I've moved house now, and the main rooms - kitchen, living room and dining room - are pretty much sorted. But it is still chaos elsewhere, especially in my study. I need a filing cabinet NOW.

I also have boxes and boxes of old papers, going right back to undergraduate days. (My mother has quite rightly refused to store them anymore.) So I have resolved to clear one folder a day until it is done. Already I have unearthed an old school show programme signed by my then-pupils, that has brought back happy memories. Oh, and a weird poem that I seem to have written once.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Someone please talk me out of this.

In an on-line discussion group I lurk at, some people are talking about going to a conference about paleo diet and exercise, I'm not paleo but I am getting grains out of my diet so there's a lot in common. The conference is an hour or so from me and costs $200. I won't go at that price, but I could offer rustic accommodations (air bed on the floor, shared bath) - which would force me to do a LOT of cleaning before the end of this month, and would bring some interesting company into my life for a few days, while saving a few people several hundred dollars of hotel.

Tempting to do the invite, force myself to do the cleaning. Tempting to continue my relaxed way of life which doesn't generally include much of the long overdo cleaning.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Thyme:
quote:
Next up - some video tapes. I never watch them. We still have a video recorder but my DH says it doesn't work with the new TV. I haven't been able to persuade him to dump the recorder.
This is a bugbear in the NE household. Our video started to go a bit funny about 3 years ago. So the North East Man decided that we'd stop using it to watch videos, and would use it solely to transfer our videos onto DVD. When he had the time. Except that he hasn't had the time at any point in the intervening 3 years. So we have a bookcase full of videos which we haven't watched in 3 years, but which have to stay because I'm the only one who is happy to bin them (local charity shops are no longer accepting videos). And we have a teetering pile of DVDs next to the TV, which can't get put away, because the shelves are full of redundant videos....

As I'm the one who dusts and hoovers round the stuff, I'm the one who's most inconvenienced, but, alas, this doesn't give me extra voting rights on what should happen. Sigh.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm the ministers rouse time. Based on the the story of the minister who wanted rid of the church hymn book, so took one or two home each week. Each time you dust and clean you throw out one video.

You can decide whether you tell North East Man this or not.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Someone please talk me out of this.

.... which would force me to do a LOT of cleaning before the end of this month, and would bring some interesting company into my life for a few days, while saving a few people several hundred dollars of hotel.

Tempting to do the invite, force myself to do the cleaning. Tempting to continue my relaxed way of life which doesn't generally include much of the long overdo cleaning.

Nope I'm not going to talk you out of this - it sounds a great double-incentive: more of your home clear and clean PLUS interesting company. Not to mention enabling folk to get to this conference.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
help!* my house is a complete dump. and I am moving in 3 months, so I have all the reason in the world to get rid of EVERYTHING. but it's overwhelming. where the hell do I start? ACK!

*not really asking for help. just sharing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was getting ready to move from New Hampshire back to Virginia, I had to deal with a twenty-year accumulation of stuff by four pack-rats.

There were two mental images that kept occurring to me. One was a cartoon of a boy in a classroom with his hand raised. He is saying, "Mr. Osborn, may I be excused? My brain is full."

The other was from a Dick Francis detective story. An actor in a play wanted the protagonist to give some ideas to the director whose name was Zak. The protagonist replied that maybe the director didn't want any advice. At this point the director came along and said, "At this point Zak is taking suggestions from chimpanzees."

If there had been a chimpanzee around, I would have been tempted to ask for advice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
help!* my house is a complete dump. and I am moving in 3 months, so I have all the reason in the world to get rid of EVERYTHING. but it's overwhelming. where the hell do I start? ACK!

*not really asking for help. just sharing.

You need a visitor who has been in declutter mode for years.

Me, for instance. 3 years ago, I started thinking about how my survivors would deal with my home
- so I decided to make it easy for them.

Invite me - I am not sentimental and am a pitbull.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016