homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 40)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done NEQ and Boogie!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have cleared about three cubic feet of stuff and raised about £150 on Ebay. It could buy half a dozen goats for Africa in lieu of Xmas presents or a very nice old bottle of scotch for me.

I shall think about it. And pray a bit too.

[ 04. December 2015, 12:19: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, SS. Maybe split the proceeds, and invite the goats over to share the scotch? [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very impressed with the Salvation Army. Who knew so much stuff could be shoehorned into a large estate car. I was sure I had a van load to go, but the chap who collected it was an absolute whiz at packing it in.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Stephanie Bennett-Vogt, my favorite decluttering guide:
"One-Minute Magic: Four Steps to Clearing Anything".

Stephanie's approach focuses on sorting through your emotions so you can sort through your stuff. She's really good at that. This article is about breaking your most emotion-laden tasks into teeny, tiny, one-minute segments.

FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another load ready for The Salvation Army.
Plus 2 large containers (approx 60L each) of towels & bedding for a local charity for Chernobyl affected families, and 2 fertilizer sacks (unused) of tattier towels & bedding for a local animal rescue charity.
I was loth to dispose of the high quality cotton sheets & towels inherited from MiL. They are the ones I've not needed to use, as the ones I have used for the last 30 years have hardly worn. Still, I won't have the storage space in our new home, and will probably not outlive the use still left in the ones we are taking. So, off they go to somewhere where they will be put to good use.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

In sheer desperation I got a house clearance firm in today. It took three men 1 & 1/2hrs just to clear the loft!
The house is now clear of junk (although I am still finding things I don't want/can't fit in our prospective new home).
Half the garage is clear, but Mr RoS is still hanging on to a load of cr@p, some 'rescued' as the men tried to load it into the van.
I despair
[Waterworks]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know these people existed:

http://www.apdo-uk.co.uk

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh RoS, my heart bleeds for you. Stay strong!

The (unusually) sympathetic Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The slow decluttering by category continues. Today - Tupperware. It turns out we have eleven tupperware lids that don't fit anything. How has that happened?

We also have a set of three nesting containers which I don't recognise. Are they ours? If not, whose?

[Confused]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are currently in mid-declutter and now it's a case of rearranging what's here so that various Nenlets can stay here at various points over the festive season. I've had a huge shifting of books which is good, but there's still so much to do. [Help]

I'm determined that by this time next year we'll have a decluttered house. [Votive]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are pretty much at the point now where the Nenlets can stay over. Lots of stuff still to sort, but plenty also gone for rubbish and recycling. Determined to get it all under control next year.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I am feeling a little more positive.
The house has never been so empty, although I fear we still have more stuff than can be fitted into the little bungalow we are moving to.

A good friend has been over to help sort out the messy end of the garage, so that the removal men can get to the freezer and a couple of other things that will need taking out. With his help Mr RoS has reduced the amount of old tools that he wants to take with him, although there is time for the pile to grow again.

Our buyer is being very understanding, and appreciates the effort that has gone into clearing much of the rubbish. If we can get the sale completed by the date they want says he will just cope with the remainder. They always knew it was like buying a junkyard, but they fell in love with the house (or at least, its potential).

Another trip round the local charity shops is needed on Monday.
For just the two of us, and in a kitchen without a dishwasher, we will need less than a third of the crockery & cutlery we have acquired over the years of raising a family. I didn't realise just how much surplus we have until today!
There's a glimmer of light visible at the end of this tunnel.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nenya [Overused]

Roseofsharon [Overused]

Seriously, both of you sound amazing for what you have achieved. You have both inspired me to get off my bum and get doing, so thank you.

Thanks also to Doublethink for the useful link. I read beyond the first page and I think I have found a way to get started without getting overwhelmed and giving up (which is what usually happens).

I have decided my two projects for decluttering are;
  • The Paper Mountain
  • The Spare room

The paper mountain consists mainly of no longer relevant confidential stuff that is already sorted into boxes, so my first step is to buy a paper shredder so I can put the resulting bits into the recycling.

The spare room is the repository of stuff that doesn't have a place to live so it presents a bigger challenge. I envisage throwing out some of the junk, listing stuff on Freecycle, and giving away craft stuff to either a school or the library for the holiday craft programmes they run.

On Monday I will start clearing the floor of the spare room so I can walk around it safely and on Tuesday I will venture out to price shredders.

(Today I will merely clean up the detritus from baking eleventy-one Christmas cakes).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a paper mountain, I also had a shredder - but that takes aaaages - so last summer I apologised to the ozone layer and bought an incinerator.

It was liberating, its much quieter than a shredder and you catch watch your problems go up in smoke whilst you sit there with a nice cup of tea.

I got one o these http://www.diy.com/departments/parasene-steel-20366l-incinerator-h730mm-w550mm-l550mm/246110_BQ.prd

[ 20. December 2015, 10:04: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I had a paper mountain, I also had a shredder - but that takes aaaages - so last summer I apologised to the ozone layer and bought an incinerator.

It was liberating, its much quieter than a shredder and you catch watch your problems go up in smoke whilst you sit there with a nice cup of tea.

I got one o these http://www.diy.com/departments/parasene-steel-20366l-incinerator-h730mm-w550mm-l550mm/246110_BQ.prd

When the time came to dispose of most of the paperwork from my divorce it was very healing to use my firepit. (I waited until 5 November for Bonfire Night!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had though of burning them but the city has a total ban on outside fires including the kind listed. Any hint of smoke and the Fire Brigade visit, sometimes resulting in a hefty fine.

The other option might be burning the in a friend's wood stove in winter, but he is nosy and has no sense of boundaries - so that's not a goer. I suppose I could investigate a gadget I've seen for making combustible bricks out of paper. That way he gets something to burn that is impossible to read. [Two face]

Oh well, at least my effort at sorting stuff out have, unexpectedly, located my bike helmet so I can go for a ride before it gets too hot,

Huia - concentration span of a mayfly
[Biased]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my jurisdiction the county offers free shredding, once or twice a month. You haul your boxes of papers over to a designated site, where they have a truck-sized shredder. You dump your own box in and watch it go down. It saves on landfill for them.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Huia--

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
The spare room is the repository of stuff that doesn't have a place to live so it presents a bigger challenge.

Spare room? Wellll, the kids in the first Narnia book got there through a wardrobe/closet in a spare room...Perhaps you could try pushing your things through the back of a closet, if there is one?

Dunno what Aslan would think, though! [Biased]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and don't tell the politicians or they'll be using Narnia for landfill!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Hey Golden Key, even I don't have enough clutter to fill a whole country! [Razz]

Though with today's temperatures here hovering around the hottest ever recorded here, (35c - 95f) some snow would be welcome (I never thought I'd ever say that, I hate snow.)

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so nearly there with the kitchen! I did the huge corner cupboards yesterday.

Now it's just *that* cupboard which is full of paper and junk!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Nenya [Overused]

Roseofsharon [Overused]

Seriously, both of you sound amazing for what you have achieved. You have both inspired me to get off my bum and get doing, so thank you.

That's nice, glad you feel inspired. [Smile] I hope I keep up the impetus in the new year and carry on the good work. I've never yet managed to reach being so sorted that I just spend 20 minutes a day keeping on top of things. In fact I am deeply ashamed of the state things have got into (had a good cry at one point during the sorting of Nenlet1's bedroom) and don't want to let it get like that again... But it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime. [Help] Paperwork is my nemesis. Every sheet seems to carry emotional baggage.

During the course of the sorting a number of money-off coupons came to light. They reduced this morning's shopping bill considerably. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's always helpful; the other day D. was clearing* the desk in the study and found a $50 Sears' gift card, which he gave to me, and which subsequently helped out with the Christmas shopping bill. [Smile]

* i.e. shifting things about while hunting for something [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia - be warned that paper bricks take a long time to dry out before they can be used! I have a friend who uses them in his woodburning stove.

Meanwhile - why do I do this to myself? I've just cleared out a pile of old t-shirts from under the sink, which I'd put by to use as dusters. I also have dusters, so I haven't touched the t-shirts for at least a year.
So now they're out and waiting to go down to the recycling, along with the drawer full of odd socks and single legs of tights that I put by during that very cold winter a few years ago, in case I needed to bundle up.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our grocery coupons seem to be getting earlier expiration dates all the time -- some expire within a month of being published. If I run across any while decluttering, they are always long out-of-date.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Huia - be warned that paper bricks take a long time to dry out before they can be used! I have a friend who uses them in his woodburning stove.

I've been thinking about this and decided against it because it is the kind of thing that means you keep the stuff longer, always meaning to get round to doing something with it, but (usually) not doing so. The road to clutter is paved with good intentions [Roll Eyes]

I've managed to declutter a cat grooming tool (I had two because I thought one was lost), three mixing bowls, some small ramekins and an electric frying pan by responding to Freecycle posts [Yipee] In the new year I'm taking some posh cups and saucers which I never use but only hold on to for sentimental reasons, to the local Sallies who onsell them to dealers.

I now look at things on a day to day basis and ask myself if I need/wantthat particular thing. I'm not totally hard line - there will always be things I keep for sentimental reasons.

Huia

[ 21. December 2015, 19:57: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, do you need the ramekins yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I've managed to declutter a cat grooming tool (I had two because I thought one was lost) ...

Have you considered de-cluttering the cat? [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only just reach stuff on the front edge of the top shelves of my kitchen cupboards, so have been trying not to use them. Tonight after a clunk when I put a catering sized tin of coffee to store on the top shelf of the cupboard where I keep hot drink making supplies (and it's the most awkward of the lot to reach) I thought I'd better get the ladder out to investigate what was up there...

Well, I've found ramekin dishes (Huia, have you sent some my way?!?), a miniature bottle of brandy, and some bills from 2008. [Eek!]

As I moved in only five months ago, and the previous occupant moved here in 2010, I can only guess that shelf never got used in my predecessor's time either.

Maybe I should just check the other top shelves whilst I've got the ladder out... and mutter, again, about the cleaners who were supposed to have cleaned thoroughly before I moved in. [Roll Eyes]

[ 22. December 2015, 20:11: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... I've managed to declutter a cat grooming tool (I had two because I thought one was lost) ...

Have you considered de-cluttering the cat? [Devil]
Oh
Piglet [Waterworks]

Actually I did think about it for a couple of seconds. My knee hurts badly after a visit to an over enthusiastic physio, so I was lying on the bed with it elevated and Georgie-Porgy jumped on it, I just about went into orbit.

Huia

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank goodness for a "what on earth is that!" box. On Monday I decluttered the boiler cupboard ready for the service engineer on Tuesday, and found a screw top almost like a bottle top. On more ruthless days I would have thrown it out, but this time I didn't - what a good move! It turns out that when the boiler was serviced last year this wasn't put back onto the carbon monoxide thingy and without it the (fairly new) boiler would have been condemned.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finally, after over a year of mounting chaos and piles of stuff tipping over and sliding to the floor, uncovered the oak unit, the cherry wood side table and the trolley. Now we can dust!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
...Now we can dust!

Please explain, I'm not sure I understand you.

[Razz]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the Marie kondo book for Christmas. I'm chucking stuff out all over the place. I may live to regret this...
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

If you want some decluttering guidance and support, Apartment Therapy's "Make 2016 Your Best Year Yet: Join the January Cure and Get Organized" is just getting started. You can sign up for free at that page.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
I got the Marie kondo book for Christmas. I'm chucking stuff out all over the place. I may live to regret this...

...so I suppose everyone's seen this?
Telegraph article on effects of Marie Kondo book

Mrs. S, behind the fair as usual [Frown]

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She says that you shouldn't do tidying a bit at a time because life is for living, so get on and do it all in 6 months and then live in it. I'm giving myself a year (because I have a husband and children who don't want to play yet) but plan to spend 2017 living surrounded by the people and things I love. We moved from a house with loads of storage to a bigger house with no storage at all, so getting rid of stuff is essential.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I bought the Kondo book, but then it said you only need 30 books in your house [Eek!] and that you always have to dress in an elegantly feminine way [Eek!] and my faith was rather crushed.

However, I have had success with a binge clear out if the first floor of my house last year which has stayed tidy, so I accept there is an extent to which she has a point.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Well yes, I'm still going to have hundreds of books, and I don't think she says you have to dress that way, just that she does. I like the basic idea, so I'm going with it!
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am comsidering doing the clothes bit with the vertical folding. Really I need to get overr the books comment and read the rest of it - but you know, its like telling me I don't need food ...

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only 30 books!! How can anyone survive with so few? I've got childhood favourites that I still like to re-read, and medieval history reference books I refer to, and quilting and embroidery books, and the collected works of several of my favourite authors (a whole shelf of Dorothy Dunnett, and another of Lindsay Davis' Falco novels, and Kim Stanley Robinson, and Mary Gentle and Charles de Lint) and I'm rapidly acquiring graphic novels (the Jessica Jones ones most recently) and new favourite authors like Charles Stross....

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vertical folding of clothes bit has been puzzling me. But, then I have enough hanging space for all my fold-able clothes.

I've concluded I'm probably tidier and more de-cluttered than I think I am. Several visitors lately have remarked on how tidy and organised my house is.

Maybe I just need to declutter the myths that I am an untidy, messy, disorganised person.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have read further (the books get a give me joy exception). I have looked at a couple of youtube videos on the folding method - makes much more sense once you see it - it is very similar to what I do when packing an overnight bag.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am working on a new philosophy. My idea is, there are big things (furniture) and small things (books, balls of yarn). You can get rid of a lot of small things, but getting rid of one big thing makes a gibber impact. Two magazine storage units are leaving the house today, and a sofa is hopefully being handed down to a young woman in my church this coming week.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I nearly gave myself a rupture getting the Free Desk from Hell into the car to take to a local charity depot, only to be told that they can't shift desks, and would probably just skip it. After all that effort (it's actually a really nice desk, but because of the way it is constructed, we cannot get it through any of the doors in the house), I was a bit miffed, so am waiting with hope to hear from the person on Freegle who was looking for a workbench for making jewellery. Hell, we are in her town on Sunday, I just hope she says "yes" now I've emailed over photos...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't believe the folding method at first, even after I watched a couple of videos. But I tried it anyway, and darn it, she's right. My clothes have remained sorted ever since, and my wardrobe is a joy of organisation.

However, I've kind of ground to a crawl, if not quite a halt, when tackling papers. It seems that I haven't flung any piece of paper away for the past 25 years. But her advice has been really useful, and the shredder has been red hot. I have cleared loads already, but it just takes so long. [Waterworks]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Incinerator is quicker and more fun [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Incinerator is quicker and more fun [Big Grin]

Check council regulations. I too used to enjoy feeding rubbish into one when we moved many years ago.

They are illegal to use now down here.

[ 01. January 2016, 21:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[Frown]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016