homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Incinerator is quicker and more fun [Big Grin]

Check council regulations. I too used to enjoy feeding rubbish into one when we moved many years ago.

They are illegal to use now down here.

My niece is a professional artist and art teacher. Every NYD she has a burn-up when the previous years discards and working drawings go up the chimney.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently processing the idea that I don't need more bookcases, I just need to be a lot more ruthless about decluttering my books. I've done it once before, I need to gird my loins and do it again.

It still sucks like a Dyson.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm slowly working my way through the kitchen cupboards. I empty on a day - which makes me sort it out!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decluttered my big food cupboard a while ago and did enjoy the ordered look of it every time I opened it. However, things have slipped and it needs doing again from scratch. I'm just no good at maintaining the level of sortedness once I've achieved it. [Hot and Hormonal]

Books are a difficult one. I have a new study in our house (and I absolutely love it! [Yipee] ) and thought I had done really well to condense my books down to the 20 shelves that I now have (excluding, of course, the 4 downstairs [Biased] ) but Mr Nen says there are boxfuls more up in the loft. I am bracing myself... I'm sure that, as I can't think what they are, I don't need them... but you never know... [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that I have removed and given away a large storage unit in my office, there is space now to haul up 14 long boxes of comic books, and short them for sale. This is a major undertaking that will probably take me this entire coming year.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My priority for this year is to finally sort the Room of Doom so that amongst other things I can use it as a study. At the moment it's where the washing goes to dry (and dry washing waits to be ironed), which takes up a lot of space, but it's also the dumping ground for stuff which doesn't obviously go anywhere else. Somewhere in there is also a single bed, as it is in theory our guest bedroom, although the bed has been buried in Stuff for most of last year. There are also bookshelves with my nursing/PhD/Masters books and files, and house-related important bits of paper, but in no obvious order.

On New Year's eve I sorted through the stuff on the bed, so it has been considerably reduced (I started with 3 piles - keep, shred, and recycle (plus a bag to bin things) - and now there's only the 'keep' pile left). I hope that if I can do a little bit once a week (I'm thinking one shelf or small area) it will be a bit less daunting. It'll still be a bit messy for a while as I will keep going with the keep/shred/recycle system, so the 'keep' piles will still need sorting out at some point, but at least they'll be smaller than the current piles. I have four storage boxes full of random bits of paper, so I think I will aim to sort one per week through January as my first goal.

I don't think there's much I can do about the washing taking up the space (we haven't really got anywhere else we can put it), but getting the bed clear and the book-cases ordered will feel good.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are currently on flood alert (though in no actual danger of flooding, I hope; our flood plain remains unbuilt-on and can cope with a lot of water.)

The North East Man and I were musing over a possible flood plan, and he said that there would be no point sandbagging our garage as everything in it is junk.

I am hoping he holds that thought long enough to let me have a major declutter. Up to now he has refused to chuck stuff which might come in handy one day.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shred shred shred.
Shred shred shred.

I have done tonnes, and there are still tonnes to do. But I am comforting myself with the thought that, had I not done the tonnes I have done so far, these tonnes would still have been to do. If that makes sense.

[Help]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Free Desk from Hell with new owner. Too good to throw...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Shred shred shred.
Shred shred shred.

I have done tonnes, and there are still tonnes to do. But I am comforting myself with the thought that, had I not done the tonnes I have done so far, these tonnes would still have been to do. If that makes sense.

[Help]

They do multiply, you know, if they're not shredded before they breed.

[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Shred shred shred.
Shred shred shred.

We run a small cottage industry which requires packing parcels with our products. My brother provides some waste bubble wrap from work. But, when we run out of that, I use shreddings - so the pile has now reduced to nearly nothing!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, I followed your link and your cottage industry was of no surprise at all [Biased]

I have just decluttered an electric frying pan, two 18cm cake tins, biscuit cutters and a set of mixing bowls. YaY Freecycle.

I felt especially good about the electric frying pan because the person who got it offered to help me out when I mislaid my tin for the Christmas cake.

Now if only my messy kitchen would clean itself I'd be set.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubleposting to finish the Freecycle story. The bloke came to pick up the electric frying pan. He had a Christmas cake that he had made which he gave me. (I had mentioned over the phome that I had not got around to making my own after making everyone else's.

Some Freecycle people are lovely [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

I don't think there's much I can do about the washing taking up the space (we haven't really got anywhere else we can put it), but getting the bed clear and the book-cases ordered will feel good.

I feel your pain. My music room has music shelves round three walls, a convertible couch, an original full-size tonne-weight Yamaha Clavinova keyboard, is used for Airb&b and between whiles is a drying room for the laundry. But it all seems to work.

Oh, did I mention the computer?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't been up to doing much for a while. And now, I need to get stuff done in the next couple of days, and I have a bad cold.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Yesterday I sorted out half of the utility room **happy dance**. FOUR big bags to recycle/go to the tip [Roll Eyes]

I don't know how I clutter places so quickly and easily - none of it belongs to Mr Boogs!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I don't know how I clutter places so quickly and easily - none of it belongs to Mr Boogs!

Some of us are just naturally born clutterers - it's a gift, like having perfect pitch or a high IQ.

Huia - extremely gifted.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our houses incline towards clutter, as the sparks fly upward.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Progress made. A dump run yesterday saw non-functioning electronics and obsolete paperwork go to recycling. Today, for the first time since our April storms, the formal dining room has emerged from the mountains of stuff which have sat there ever since. We can even see the tabletop. Next stage-the rumpus room. We have two couches down there which haven't been sighted for about twelve months.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

When my grandfather died I inherited his three piece suite. It was older than I was, and built to last. It served us well for several years, but then we inherited a second, newer, three piece suite. As my grandfather's suite pre-dated flame retardant materials, we couldn't sell it, or give it to a charity shop. So it was destined for the tip.

Except that my hoarding family decided that it would be great idea to keep the three seater settee in the hallway. It was handy to have a chair there, but we didn't need a three seater. It's not that large a hall.

At least the two armchairs were going to the tip!

Except that overnight my son somehow snuck them up to his bedroom, where they have remained ever since.

*sigh*

So, yesterday, I thought we were making progress. We bought a monks bench to go into the hallway to replace the settee. It's half the size - yay! - and it has drawers so it's also more useful. Win! Win!

The settee was destined for the tip.

I came home today to discover that my son had - somehow- snuck the settee up to his bedroom. He now has the entire three piece suite in his bedroom.

[Waterworks]

As if that wasn't bad enough, he has two (two!) three piece suites in his rented flat, both acquired second hand. He is 21 and he owns three, three piece suites.

This isn't normal, is it?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

LOL! Sorry, but it is just irresistibly comic. (No, possibly it is not normal...)

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

How can I possibly get on top of the mess and the clutter when my family hoards three piece suites?

[Waterworks]

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've trained them well, NEQ.

My work is having a massive clear-out of obsolete electronic test and measurement gear. I couldn't bear to see it all skipped, but I haven't room or need for 95% of it. So just before Christmas I grabbed a big pile and listed some of it on a forum I post on, with some (I thought optimistic) prices, and the statement (inducement?) that all funds raised would be for Christian Aid.

Although my dining room is still full of shite, loads of people have responded by buying and helping move stuff around the country, and the running total is approaching £1000. I am Very Pleased - there are some great people around [Smile]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My county has an Electronics Recycling program, in which they collect old electronics so that they do not go to the landfill. It used to be once a month, but is now so popular that it is open all day every day.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - maybe you can guilt them out. 'There are Syrian orphans without a single three-piece suite and you have three!'

Or just privily put them on FreeCycle 'Free for collection. Must be between hours of X and Y. Come to back door.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Free for collection. Fifty year old three piece suite. N.B. Not cool, retro early 60s style, but the style favoured by middle aged people in the 60s. Used to smell of St Bruno tobacco and whisky, and then of baby puke and cats and now just smells a bit fusty. Raggedy bits on back caused by being used as a cat scratching post. Don't worry about odd stain on back, it's just a water stain from spraying said cat to dissuade her from using it as a scratching post. Fringe round bottom coming adrift in places, but possibly repairable. Or possibly not.

Form an orderly queue folks.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what you can do other than chloroform your family for 24 hours while either the bin lorry comes or you have a perfectly enormous bonfire in the back yard.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I'm not sure what you can do other than chloroform your family for 24 hours while either the bin lorry comes or you have a perfectly enormous bonfire in the back yard.

5 November???
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... my son had - somehow- snuck the settee up to his bedroom ...

How the heck do you sneak a three-seater sofa upstairs????

You've got to admire his, um, determination ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
How the heck do you sneak a three-seater sofa upstairs????

You need someone to open a door in the right place of course.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He is 21 and he owns three, three piece suites.

A man should always own more three piece suits than three piece suites.

Or something.

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed - and the three piece suite is definitely an example - that there's a period of 'getting rid of stuff' when its fine. But, after a certain amount of time, keeping something stops being clutter and starts being an heirloom, sentimental, and one day becomes an antique. Because it was at this place in this house, and great aunty jo always liked to sit in it, and do you remember the time that lovely dog we had used to sleep on it, etc.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, I would suggest to him that in fact this is a sign of a reluctance to grow up - that he isn't ready to get rid of Stuff that reminds him of being a small boy - that perhaps indeed this is a (rather large and unwieldy [Ultra confused] ) comfort blanket ! However you are sure that once he can put this immaturity behind him he'll be ready to face his own future rather than clinging on to someone else's past? [Two face]

Well, you could give it a try...

Mrs. S - manipulative, moi?

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
He is 21 and he owns three, three piece suites.

A man should always own more three piece suits than three piece suites.

Or something.

He doesn't own any suits. Or even any smart trousers or jackets. He's more of a jeans and t-shirt person.

In addition to the three, three piece suites, he also owns a bed settee, but I'm ok with that because it's where I sleep when I'm visiting him, and it's very comfy. So the snuck-up-the-stairs settee is actually his fourth settee.

[brick wall]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:

As if that wasn't bad enough, he has two (two!) three piece suites in his rented flat, both acquired second hand. He is 21 and he owns three, three piece suites.

People who want to be "normal" lack imagination. He sounds really interesting, if a trifle eccentric in the matter of furniture.

Huia

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two weeks into a new year and every single last surface in our home is totally covered with clutter

This is soooooo depressing.......
[Frown]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - I try to confine myself to keeping my head above the clutter chez jacobsen. To worry about anyone else's is the road to madness. Unless of course you keep barking your shins on settees 1-3, in which case an anguished howl might signal your distress quite effectively.

EA - you could try clearing one small surface for starters, e.g. a coffee table. Transferring the overload to another surface, however, is cheating, and likely to lead to the whole lot cascading to the floor, where you will probably trip over it.*

I mean it lovingly. [Big Grin]

* The voice of experience.

[ 15. January 2016, 13:54: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Jacobsen, you are right. His rented Uni flat (which contains three piece suites nos 1 and 2 and the bed settee) is of no concern of mine.

I do have a gripe that every time I declutter my own stuff, other members of the family move their clutter into the newly available space. My bedroom is the smallest of our four (although I decorated it and love it, it's very much my own wee nest!) but realistically, everyone else has to have one of the three larger bedrooms because they have more stuff. None of them could fit into my bedroom. Moving the three seater settee into his bedroom instead of letting it go to the tip is just typical of the process.

[ 16. January 2016, 10:51: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have two three piece suites...plus 3 footstools...and another high backed chair upholstered to match the one suite...it's a long story...

I managed to take 2 bags full of clothes to the charity shop today. There are lots more to go...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live by myself in a house that is technically two bedroom but actually has only one room set up as a bedroom.

I have four bed / beddy type things, that would sleep a total of 6 people. It is surprisingly easy to accidentally hoard furniture - I am not entirely sure how I ended up with four armchairs in addition to my two sofas either. I rarely need to seat 9 people in my living room ...

On the upside my cat gets his own chair.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomorrow is the day I am Konmaring the wardrobe andtaking the excess to Oxfam [Ultra confused]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Doublethink.

I accidentally did that over Christmas. I bought some new clothes in the sales (much needed) and went through the wardrobe kicking out anything I haven't worn for months or years and anything I was replacing. My daughter did it too as we have a wardrobe and trunk of her stuff stored here.

The charity shop and pass-me-downs went immediately, but I have four or five large carrier bags to go to the not-so-local homeless centre which I need to plan to transport, after I have mended a couple of other things that are going into that pile. This pile is full of lots of things they ask for like socks, tracksuit bottoms, jumpers, sweatshirts and not-as-smart-as-I-can-wear-to-work-but-no-good-for-cycling-or-walking warm and waterproof coats plus a few bits of work clothing that could be useful.

The work clothes I bought for interviews and hated so much I've never worn them since, a couple of shirts, a pair of black trousers and a jacket. Plus the jacket I've now upgraded and another pair of black trousers. Apparently interview clothes are something always requested.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Four years ago I cleared my post-removal junk from the garage in several trips to the local recycling centre. The Focus also took the bath, when I had a walk-in shower installed prior to hip surgery.

My latest car, a Seat Ibiza, is rather smaller than the Focus, but still accommodated a broken wheelie bin which had lost its lid.

It's incredible how one item can be a mental eyesore for so long, and the relief when enough oomph has accumulated for it to be removed.

But let's face it, decluttering is a way of life. Just off to do my tax....

Brief return to echo the comments about too much furniture. I have four wooden stools in my living room. OK, they make useful mini coffee tables and drink stands, as well as additional dining chairs, but they do take up floor space. Thinks what to do about this...

[ 17. January 2016, 09:28: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plastic stackable kitchen/garden chairs are a great solution to that problem - darned site more comfortable than many wooden chairs, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do have a gripe that every time I declutter my own stuff, other members of the family move their clutter into the newly available space.

I have that problem too. Well, to be more exact it is one member of the family who does it. The one who still lives here while the Nenlets have left home and is currently filling up the spaces that they left as well. [Roll Eyes]

To be fair to myself, clothes really aren't my issue. All my clothes, summer and winter wardrobe, fit into one hanging cupboard, three shelves and three drawers. I wear them all, with the exception of six pairs of trousers that I bought a few years ago because I was oh-so-nearly able to fit into them comfortably. Then the sensible eating went out of the window and I'm only recently getting back on track with it.

Nen - whose house is so full of clutter that she has to be self-congratulatory about something. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And quite right too, Nenya. I'm impressed that you have a working wardrobe that is so exactly right. Every year or so I take several black bin bags worth of clothes to the local charity shop. Where does it all come from?* If all the surplus you have is 6 pairs of trousers which nearly fit, then you are doing very well indeed.

*Sainsburys

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I spent 5 hours decluttering the garage so that I can fit a trailer into it as well as the car & bike, so today I've made 2 trips to the dump with said trailer and later will go to the charity shop. It's amazing how the clutter in the garage can go ignored, even paint for walls that I have painted over twice! There is still more that I simply couldn't decide on, but that can wait another few years until I have my next garage decluttering. Now I will find that I need a piece of wood, or a pot, that I was sure I won't need.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Tomorrow is the day I am Konmaring the wardrobe andtaking the excess to Oxfam [Ultra confused]

How did it go? I love the KM approach. I sent 11 bin bags of clothes to the charity shop and 22 carrier bags of books. Am now finally getting towards the end of paper which has been a long old slog.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The KM approach is ideal for people who have lots of money. Then, any time it snows heavily and you don't have a pair of Uggs, you can go buy them. If you live in a widely varying climate and are not that well-off, it might be more prudent to hang onto things. (I would certainly ditch items that don't fit or that you definitely would never wear again.)

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The KM approach is ideal for people who have lots of money.

I can't bring myself to throw away things that might be useful, for more or less this reason. Growing up, Mum had a button jar and Dad had any number of jam jars and boxes full of odd screws, electric plugs, old electric outlets and so on.

All that stuff was useful too often for me to be comfortable throwing stuff out.

My own pots full of odds and ends have proved useful on many occasions, too. Boxes full of odds and ends bring me no joy at all right up to the point when they contain exactly the thing I need for a particular purpose, and then they bring me much joy [Smile]

[ 22. February 2016, 14:47: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016