homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cynicism, JJ? [Eek!]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
No doubt the duster draw.

Definitely not that safe. [Big Grin]

Actually, I discovered this afternoon (while finding dusting implements to apply to the kitchen cupboards) that we had considerably more dusters than we're ever likely to need.

Perhaps if you put two of them together they breed, like wire coat-hangers and supermarket carrier-bags ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supermarket carrier bags no longer breed here - a 5p charge per back has proved an effective method of plastic bag birth control.

However, the cloth bags have started breeding at a great rate, as local companies realised that they are a cheap and virtuous give-away.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but do they breed in cupboards, like the plastic ones? I'm not convinced that they do.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it illegal to observe bags in sexual congress?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They appear to be breeding in our hall cupboard.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having only just removed all signs from our home of emptying parental home.....we now have every available surface covered in gorgeous clothes, jewellery and slides from a relative's house clearance.....
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Is it illegal to observe bags in sexual congress?

Only if you video it and download it onto the internet or use the threat of doing so to blackmail them.

Huia
[Razz]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**bump**

Just moving out of the range of the Hostly Hoover.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the Hoover an old upright or something more up to date. It seems to do a thorough job when it sweeps through. Lift your feet please so Wodders can get underneath with the cleaner.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you bumped this.

I'm back to decluttering after having five weeks full of new puppy.

Several drawers and cupboards need urgent attention. We run a small cottage industry and the boxes and packing material need sorting out, they seem to have taken over a whole room.

I'm off to make a list ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sold 20 vols. of ancient H. Rider Haggard novels on Ebay. (They are all available on Gutenberg, and on the screen I can pump the font so it's actually legible.) Hurray!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Is the Hoover an old upright or something more up to date?

I should think it's a full-on, bells-and-whistles Dyson - nothing but the best for the AS hosts! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They handed me a brush and an old carpet beater!

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had another blitz at the ancient paperwork this week. Three boxes worth has been filed, or shredded and dumped, and a few letters have gone in the post as well. The result is massive amounts of relief, and only a couple of very ancient boxes to go.

This isn't just decluttering my office; it is decluttering my mind.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs BA has finally arisen from the sense of loss and has been making great inroads into her late mother's belongings. A car load to the parish opshop last week, and a wheelie-bin full for the second rubbish collection in a row means we are unearthing our rec room. I retire from a community role in four weeks which will mean much paperwork to the recycling bins. All in all, by the end of the year I am confident we will have our house back in some semblance of liveability.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a well-known chain of office suppliers which will shred papers for quite a reasonable fee. That may be useful for any you think too confidential to put into your Council's waste paper collection.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30+ years ago I requested and was granted permission to weed a whole raft of highly confidential social work files and was told to take them to the municipal incinerator but that I actually had to watch their destruction,* it was very hot but sort of fun.

I decided it was not the time to try the Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego gig - Elfin Safety & all that.

*some months earlier one of our neighbouring local authorities had a scandal when social work case file papers were found blowing about their landfill site - questions were asked in Parliament!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my area the county will shred paper for free. But you have to take it to the designated place/time.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, melurves me shredder! It's quite quiet (one of the reasons I bought this model), and it is VERY therapeutic.

Having a bad day? Go and shred a few things and all (or most) will be well! [Big Grin]

Terribly satisfying!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
This isn't just decluttering my office; it is decluttering my mind.

You said it Cottontail! That is an excellent reason for decluttering (and more than makes up for the aggro when you realise you have accidentally shredded your birth certificate, or some other vital piece of paperwork [Killing me] )

Mrs. S, wondering if we can declutter a few computers...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week I carried on decluttering my to-do list:
New roof to replace a leaking on (4years on the list)
Lasting Power of Attorney party set up (6 years)
Replacement flush on the loo (15-ish years)
Leaking tap fixed (18-ish years)

Just a couple of more things, more recent than those... hopefully they won't mature like these.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went though my food storage cupboards in preparation for soup making and discovered an inordinate amount of lentils of varying descriptions and ages. I now have a self imposed ban on buying any lentils until I have at least halved my stash.

I think I bought them when I saw them because the closest large supermarket is lax in ordering such things. Roll on the end of the month when an opposing chain opens its new store 15 minutes walk away [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK

Now for *that* cupboard under the sink. I'm going to time how long it takes!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Reporting back.

15 minutes!

Why do I put so much effort into procrastination?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

You're not the only one and I, at least if no other, know that I'm doing it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Oh yes, procrastination can look very industrious!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I might procrastinate ... if I get around to it. [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm going to do some serious procrastination.

Tomorrow. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just pulled out three boxes from under the bed......feelin' faint.....

[ 16. August 2016, 10:17: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read on the Interweb this morning that if it's not something I love, need or use I should get rid of it. I therefore have a padded envelope full of bits of unloved, un-needed and unused jewellery to post to Traidcraft for their bits of jewellery appeal.

Cattyish, a little lighter.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We have been getting rid of books and magazines like navvies, shoving boxes and boxes of them out to the church sale. It took too cars to get them there last month! And yet, mysteriously, we cannot seem to get rid of book -cases-. The remaining books spread themselves out and hog all the freed-up space, and we never progress.
Well! Yesterday I was firm. I was able to get -all- the books out of the smallest bookcase in the house, and then push the bookcase itself out on Freecycle. One down, only about 20 more to go! Unfortunately all the remaining bookcases are floor-to-ceiling...

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Joy and delight, i have a friend who sells stuff on a market stall. Why did i never think of this before? One large amount of vintage twaddle now disappeared.....
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tackling the paperwork mountain. Again. I still haven't managed to reach the point when each piece doesn't say to me, "You'd better keep me because you might want to refer to me again" and/or "Get rid of me and you'll regret it."

Nen - having such fun on a bank holiday weekend. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four years ago we sold the big house where we'd brought up our daughters and lived in community with up to 10 people at a time and bought a much smaller house. We got rid of lots of stuff but as I am a chucker-outer married to a hoarder (with whom I have some sympathy as he says that shit constitutes his memory) we stored a considerable amount of stuff in our new garage.
We then moved to Kenya and one of our daughters lived in our new house.
Having now returned to Blighty and helped said daughter to move into her own place I have worked my way through all the stored stuff and have persuaded my husband to part with some of it so I am very pleased to announce that this coming bank holiday Monday I will be doing a car boot sale.
I just hope I price things correctly so that I don't return with any of it or I will face the challenge of its re-institution into our lives...

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
...I am very pleased to announce that this coming bank holiday Monday I will be doing a car boot sale.
I just hope I price things correctly so that I don't return with any of it or I will face the challenge of its re-institution into our lives...

You can always give the leftovers to a charity thrift store.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A neighbor down the street has decreed that her children are holding a yard sale a week from today. She has invited all the neighbors to join in. I think this is my opportunity.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I'm off to do the lounge bookcase.

Then I'll make a list of cupboards to tackle ...

Getting there!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I keep receipts? I shove them into my purse until it can hold no more, then I end up with piles of them in various places. Then I have a purge of them. I open and examine every one and then throw most of them away. Yet, when the question comes "Would you like your receipt?" I have said yes before I can stop myself.

What do other people do? [Help]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pretty much the same thing, it's crazy but I keep on doing the same old things year in and year out.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My husband brings them home and immediately feeds them into the shredder.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I keep clothes receipts. Once my suitcase never appeared after a holiday and the insurance would only pay out for the clothes I had receipts for. So I keep them in a box - when it's full I throw the oldest away.

Other receipts I shred unless the item cost more than £50

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Aaargh! Receipts. Theoretically we keep them and I am supposed to check them off our online statement. What actually happens is that form little drifts, like snowdrifts, in some corner.

I prefer paying by cash, and refusing the receipt, precisely so that I don't have to check the bloody thing off later, but my husband prefers to pay even quite small sums by card, so that we have a record, and then dumps the receipt on my desk to check off.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A neighbor down the street has decreed that her children are holding a yard sale a week from today. She has invited all the neighbors to join in. I think this is my opportunity.

... as long as you don't go home with more than you left with ... [Devil]

In the next week or so, D. and I will have to head back to St. John's to pack stuff up at the former Château Piglet before the movers arrive.

While we did a modicum of de-clutterment when we were getting the place ready for sale, I think there may have to be some more; the sort of house we're looking at here is going to involve some fairly substantial down-sizing, and I'm not at all sure what we can do without (or, indeed, how most profitably to dispose of it - we're only going to be there for a maximum of a few days).

[Help]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Aaargh! Receipts. Theoretically we keep them and I am supposed to check them off our online statement. What actually happens is that form little drifts, like snowdrifts, in some corner.

This is exactly the scenario. Very aptly put.

This receipt thing has turned into a saga. I had a conversation with Mr Nen about it and he was saying how important it is to keep an eye on the bank statement transactions and the easiest way to do this is online. A long time ago I registered myself for online banking for the account I manage (we have two, both in joint names but each of us deals with only one, which works well) so I found my login details and did it. Was then immediately locked out because the details weren't recognised. So I'll have to go into the branch on Monday and get them to sort it. I never did trust online banking... Still less now. [brick wall]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

Are they selling off their kids?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Would that they were. I actually did offer to sell the cat for $10 (she was cozying up to the customers) but instead offloaded quite a quantity of junk, clearing out the house somewhat. Alas, there is a law of physics that says that Stuff Expands to Fill Available Space.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

When the cat's away....

I dropped the NE Man off at the station at 6.30 on Sat morning. Apart from church, I haven't left the house since. The laundry is almost up to date (one bed left to strip). Technically, the NE Man does his own, but he works ridiculously long hours and falls behind. So I have done his, just to get him up-to-date.

The kitchen is tidy, clean, shining, and I've cleaned the fridge out properly.

The bathroom is clean and shining.

The living room is tidy, dusted, and was hoovered yesterday, but needs hoovered daily because our cockatiel spits millet husks everywhere.

(The NE Man was supposed to clean the cockatiel out before he left, but was too busy, so I did it, and I did it thoughoughly; all his mirrors and toys properly washed etc.)

The airing cupboard is tidy.

The porch is tidy and smells of scented candle.

The dining room and my study / bedroom are still grim. The NE Man's bedroom is Not My Problem.

I walked into the kitchen this morning and felt chilled and relaxed. Normally I walk into the kitchen and its a heartsink. I'd like to feel chilled and relaxed like this every morning. How do people do it?

It has helped that I haven't cooked at all; I've been living off oatcakes and cheese, hardboiled eggs and salad, fruit, yogurt and ...umm...chocolate. Obviously that is not sustainable.

There has to be a way that I can get to 9am every morning without feeling oppressed and depressed by the state of my house.

How?

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

That's what I'm aiming for NEQ. Tidy, a place for everything and everything in its place.

It IS doable. My parents house was always tidy and homely. Everything had a place but you didn't feel you were on an Ideal Homes set at all.

I am getting there. Utility, kitchen and lounge are all good. Bathrooms not bad. Bedroom and study - nope!

Every day is a step closer [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm darkly musing over how to offload my clutterers--at least for a week.

Every dish we own is piled in the sink (two chief cleaner-uppers both destroyed in bed with sinusitis). Two wee munchkins visiting over the weekend while their mother works overtime. One clutterer-in-chief being sympathetic and utterly No Help except to repeatedly offer to take us out to dinner--an offer accepted by the junior de-clutterer but I can't yet manage to pull myself out of bed and stay awake long enough.

Does anybody want a set of clutterers to complicate their lives for a week? Just till I recover and process the dishes, laundry, dog, etc.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016