homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Send 'em over. I'll put them in the attic room - which currently contains a little rubble and no real window pane (part of the gable end tried to fall down last week). Whatever clutter they create, it won't be noticeable.

Also, I'm cluttering well myself, since I'm back working in the lab. Last week I found two discarded planimeters - things of mechanical beauty - and, today in the skip, a small tent.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heheheee. Incoming!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, how on earth did you train the North East Man to do his own laundry??? [Overused]

I think D. knew where the laundry equipment was in our old house (you could hardly miss it as it was in the kitchen), but as for actually operating it - not a chance. [Big Grin]

Having said that, I understand he did a reasonable amount of declutterment when he went back to St. John's to clear the former Château Piglet last week prior to the movers coming.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to be there long enough to dispose of the really big things, like the old (hideous) spare bed and a large and much-used but now a bit lopsided sofa, for which there really won't be room in the new place, but which have been packed up with everything anyway, so we'll have to get rid of them when we unpack everything.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heheheh. Has anybody else got a spouse who carefully lifts up each piece of clutter and wipes under it?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet I trained son to do laundry. If it was in laundry basket in bathroom, I would wash it. If not, I did not look for it. They were caught out a few times in teens but soon learnt. I taught them to iron in their early teens. I do NOT iron.

Their father is a hoarder of anything an everything. I have no idea how he decluttered when our home was sold. Did anyone want several dozen of the small plastic tags which were used on bread wrappers? I was yelled at when I threw out a pile. He would have had more.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
NEQ, how on earth did you train the North East Man to do his own laundry??? [Overused]

I think D. knew where the laundry equipment was in our old house (you could hardly miss it as it was in the kitchen), but as for actually operating it - not a chance.

I do all our laundry, that's been the case for years as she used to have to leave the house early while I "worked from home". And I like seeing a nice load of washing neatly hanging on the line - it gives me a sense of satisfaction.

We both hate ironing, so we each do our own (as little as we can get away with; summer is worst, with all those cotton things which crease).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shaking cotton things before handing out and when you take from line helps. If you fold carefully from line rather than piling in basket, ironing is reduced. Folding from line takes same time as folding later, but it cuts down on ironing and has to only be sorted when inside.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just what my wife says!

We use polycotton sheets and they never get ironed. My sister, on the other hand, irons socks.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kids did their own laundry from the age of 16. I did nothing for myself as a kid (Mum's standards were too high for me to do anything round the house) and it all came as a nasty shock when I left home for Uni. I was determined my kids transition to Uni / leaving home would be as painless for them as possible, and easing them into doing their own laundry was part of that. Obviously, there was quite a bit of give-and-take.

The snag with the NE Man's laundry is that he genuinely doesn't have time to do his own himself. I've just done ten days worth for him, to catch up, but he'll get back from his conference with a suitcase full of laundry. It's his lack of time to do stuff at home that is the issue.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son would be an absolute slob, except for job pressures. He has to wear military uniforms, which must be relatively clean and adorned with the proper badges, pins, etc. And he has to wear suits for his day job, which are supremely expensive. Having paid for the costly shirts himself, he lends a ready ear when I point out to him that they must go into the wash if he wants them to appear again, clean and ready to wear, when he needs them. And the natty suits stay natty if hung up properly on a suit hanger, the seams of the trousers lined up.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
My sister, on the other hand, irons socks.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I think you can get treatment for that.

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once knew of a young man who ironed his underpants. I gather he's now in the diplomatic service....

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Fredegund:
I once knew of a young man who ironed his underpants.

Speaking of underpants ... my wife has recently been going through our church archive and turned up an Annual Report from 1905. Turns out that they had a "Young Ladies' Sewing Circle" which was dedicated to making "healthgiving and durable undergarments for the children of Congregational ministers" . You couldn't make it up; and they (the undergarments, not the young ladies) sound as if they must have been very scratchy. By the time of the 1909 Report, which is the next one she has, the Circle had ceased to operate.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You comfort my soul. There is yet something to be grateful for in being a pastor's family in the 21st century!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aberdeen used to have an Aberdeen Ladies Sanitary Association which made vast quantities of underwear for the poor. They did a "new for old" swap in homes affected by contagious disease to prevent poor people wearing hand-me-down infected underwear.

Isn't life wonderful in 2016, when our problem is decluttering because we have too much stuff, instead of not enough?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was in the day when 'changing your linen' was supposed to avert all kinds of ailments, physical and spiritual. It was also in the day when everything was hand-made, usually by women. And so if you did not have a woman to sew or knit for you, you went without. (Hence all the knitting for soldiers that they would gear up whenever there was a war.)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... We both hate ironing; summer is worst, with all those cotton things which crease.

I can identify with that - I only iron that which is absolutely necessary. Having said that, our iron and ironing-board are currently en route and we've been without them since we moved. I bought a couple of lovely, but very crumpleable tops (one cotton, one linen*) when I was home on holiday, and I'm getting round the lack of an iron by hanging them up in the bathroom while I have a shower, so that the steam makes at least some of the creases fall out.

* At least with linen, you sort of expect it to be a bit crumpled.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one of those small steamers, and it does a great job.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have started (last Saturday) to declutter in anticipation of perhaps moving in the spring.

I'm doing pretty well with the I might need it someday stuff but not so well with the this is just too pretty to get rid of even though I don't use it anymore stuff.

Finally decided to bless the latter, and also to bless the people who will find it at the thrift store. Doesn't make the task totally easy, but it helps.

Luckily, I am retired. So I have the option of putting a few things on hold (but not caring for my mother) so I can do a few days as if I'm back at work. Up, have breakfast, declutter, take a break, declutter, have lunch, declutter, break, declutter and then stop for the day at dinnertime.

How long I can do this remains to be seen, but for the time being it seems to be working.

I also noticed that the first phase is the OMG! This is overwhelming! phase, which is just now morphing into the will this ever end? phase, and then eventually become the light at the end of the tunnel phase.

At some point I want to invite a couple of trusted friends into the process for an hour here or there, no need to burn them out at this point.

I seem to be living on hummus and pita as well as homemade protein shakes.

Also, I now live for TV at night. [Smile]

sabine

[ 21. September 2016, 14:29: Message edited by: sabine ]

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Calloo, callay! I have sorted through SIXTEEN long boxes of comic books, and am in discussion with a dealer about which ones he wants. All the rest have been steadily creeping up onto Ebay, and it is my hope that they will eventually all be out in the wide world.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Calloo, callay! I have sorted through SIXTEEN long boxes of comic books, and am in discussion with a dealer about which ones he wants. All the rest have been steadily creeping up onto Ebay, and it is my hope that they will eventually all be out in the wide world.

*sigh*How I wish we were in the same country, although my bank account would probably not have agreed.

I've managed to re-gift a new and lovely but entirely useless spice rack/carousel which takes up tonnes of counter space.

My clutter goes to clutter up other people's homes and so the cycle turns...

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Send 'em over. I'll put them in the attic room - which currently contains a little rubble and no real window pane (part of the gable end tried to fall down last week). Whatever clutter they create, it won't be noticeable.

Also, I'm cluttering well myself, since I'm back working in the lab. Last week I found two discarded planimeters - things of mechanical beauty - and, today in the skip, a small tent.

Oh, don't speak of attic rooms. Ours is fitted out with shelves, to hold Christmas decorations, past years' financial papers and spare china. Six years ago, I agreed to put my desk in there, instead of taking up space in our shared study. I have not been able to get to the desk in all that time. Now the builders are coming (mark_in_manchester, we have glass, but precious little window frame - is there scope for one decent window between us?). I have removed two camp beds, four folding chairs, ten cushions, twelve large filing boxes (empty), ten bags of jam jars, forty padded envelopes, a bin liner full of bubble wrap, four hi-fi speakers and at least eight empty boxes and I am only half way down the room. I accept some responsibility for the camp beds and the chairs, but I don't know where the rest came from. Daughter is coming to stay and we are going to the Charity shop and on to the tip before anyone can put any of it back.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had one of those stools you use for a breakfast bar. Won it in a raffle when I lived in an apartment with a breakfast bar 15 years ago. Moved it to the new place, and thought maybe I'd re-purpose it (plant stand or something like that). Then I thought I might move into an apartment with a breakfast bar.

Well, I'm probably not moving until spring, and I've never re-purposed it.

So this morning I took it to the thrift store. When the employee came to my car to receive it, his eyes lit up. Maybe he has a breakfast bar. [Smile]

sabine

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I wish I'd known. [Big Grin]

The future Château Piglet has a kitchen island on one side of which is a space for breakfast-bar stools, but I can't remember whether there were any there (even if there were, the present owners will probably take them away).

In all honesty, I'm not wild about bar-stools; I'm vertically challenged, and I never relish the mountaineering aspect of getting on and off them. Then again, it might be as good a place as any for informal eating, which is the sort we do most of, and my plan is to turn one of the bedrooms into a proper dining room, as our dining table is too big for the allotted space in the kitchen.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

If we had made arrangements to transfer the stool from my place to yours, would we have called it The Bar Stool Meet ???? [Big Grin]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a year of waiting to be dealt with, a bunch of baby stuff has finally been sold, several bags more donated to a local charity as baby shower presents for refugee women, and there are two piles waiting to go to the charity shop and tip. I have actually achieved empty boxes! This feels good.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - I've been away so have just read your post about decluttering while the NEQ man was away [Overused] Would you like a working holiday in NZ? It's spring here so the right time of year for spring cleaning.

My brother has just moved into 24 hour care and I have just been up there clearing out his stuff. Whew! We contracted out the cleaning.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wise move, Huia.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have bar stools at the breakfast bar, they are solid square ones from IKEA - not too tall and feel very comfortable and safe to sit on.

We eat meals there when there are three or fewer of us [Smile]

See my 'Room' blog linked to below.

[ 02. October 2016, 16:02: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two stools at my kitchen counter -- they're on the dining room side of the counter. About the only time they're used is by guests chatting with me while I prepare food in the kitchen. (My kitchen isn't really large enough for a second person to help me, so I appreciate the company -- and I can hand them things to put on the dining room table too.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The former Miss S has decluttered all the Intrepid Grandson's baby clothes up to 9 months, his first car seat, bouncy chair and play mat, and her maternity wear [Yipee] but only as far as our garage [Confused] whence it will go to the local clothes bank [Yipee]

Sadly I think this means no more grandchildren from that side of the family! Never mind, at one stage I wouldn't have bet an empty crisp packet on having even one (and he is gorgeous ) [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, tempted to rummage through for souvenirs [Devil]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Baby items enjoy a ready recycling; it's so expensive to tog out a child (just wait until they start doing sports!) that any tiny economy is good.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Well, well, well. I just cleaned out a shelf in the pantry that is high enough for me to have to used a stool (and I'm tall). I found a good bottle of wine. Since I'm not much of a drinker, it must have been left over from a dinner party back when (can't remember).

I think it will be great as a reward for my de-cluttering efforts--when they are done.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Sadly I think this means no more grandchildren from that side of the family! Never mind, at one stage I wouldn't have bet an empty crisp packet on having even one (and he is gorgeous ) [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, tempted to rummage through for
souvenirs [Devil]

Mrs S my 3 brothers and I told Mum that her only Grandchild meant that she had quality. not quantity, and now, in his twenties he is still my favourite relation [Cool]

Huia

--------------------

Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I intend soon to paint my bedroom and my study and to have them re-carpeted. They are adjacent and have a communicating doorway - it was originally one large room - and are so configured that the two rooms must be done in one go.

Before the 'handiman' part of the project can start I have to get the contents out. I have been trying to declutter as I go, but the proportion of the clutter that I can easily get rid of is small compared to the many things that I have to do something about first.

I suspect I may end up with a beautifully tidy, new-and-shiny bedroom and study, and Haunted Mountains of Unsorted Stuff elsewhere in the house...

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

That's OK. What is absolutely fatal is if you have to hire a storage unit for all the stuff. Then, not only is the day of evil postponed, you are paying a monthly fee for it.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
That's OK. What is absolutely fatal is if you have to hire a storage unit for all the stuff. Then, not only is the day of evil postponed, you are paying a monthly fee for it.

It's what people who hire out storage rely on 🙂

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Unfortunately I don't have to hire storage, I have a garage and no car [Roll Eyes]

I am in the process of making lots of Christmas decorations. This was meant to cut back my needlework stash, as I am not buying more fabric or cottons, but have needed extra beads, dowelling and probably paint - sigh...

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The sock drawer is SORTED!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The sock drawer is SORTED!

[Yipee]

That's my next project (well, it's on the list anyway). My sock drawer had come apart, but I had it repaired yesterday. So now there's no excuse.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You have an actual, separate, dedicated sock-drawer? How exotic. [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so much decluttering but re-purposing - I was whinging to myself about the dozen beautiful organza and satin ribbon bows I'd made for the pew-ends for Master S and the Lovely Girlfriend's wedding and had to leave behind in Wales, when I bethought myself of the 10 or so I'd made for Miss S's wedding and STILL HAD!

These were white (organza) and purple (satin) so I added purple and silver baubles and tied them to the banisters. They look superb, though I say so as shouldn't [Overused]

Mrs. S, speechless at her own ingenuity [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They sound great, Mrs S!

Two months ago (!) I mentioned my project of painting and re-carpeting my bedroom and study. I did the painting myself and am very pleased with how it turned out. There has been a long wait for the carpet-layers, but (God willing) they will be coming on Monday. Progress with the decluttering is slow...

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I did it.

I took Mr Boog's 'everything' drawer, tipped it on his workstation and said 'sort that out'. My excuse - he'd put a cheque of mine in there and it got buried in the mire.

20(!) pens were in there among the rest of the clutter.

To be fair he doesn't clutter the rest of the house, that seems to be me and me alone [Roll Eyes] but I continue to work on it.

😎😎😎

[ 22. December 2016, 10:35: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are you complaining that that is a high number or a low number?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Are you complaining that that is a high number or a low number?
Suffice it to say I now know where all my pens went!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Mr Boogs, serial nicker of pens [Biased] .

Whereas I seem to be a serial buyer of them. I need to make sure there are always a few in my backpack so I don't buy them because I need one rightnow

I am looking forward to some quiet time after Boxing Day when I can do some serious decluttering - that is until the frame for working my latest needlework is delivered.

Huia

Huia

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been reading through this page. I need to join in, I think, having seen what can develop from the basic, prehistorically useful, hoarding instinct when not under control. (That's what an academic in London said - about it having been useful in the past. I was wondering what our ancestors with the gene for compulsive hoarding did when there was very little to compulsively hoard. Could this explain all the rich grave goods - the offspring getting rid of Dad's stuff?)

Meanwhile, in the office, I have thrown out a collection of user guides for successive versions of DTP software - beautifully produced on glossy paper, but am I going to look at them again? Also removed the CD-ROMS from their packaging, and the paper inserts from the packaging, which joined the books in the recycling bag, while the plastic parts went in the household rubbish. But what to do with the CD-ROMS?

[ 23. December 2016, 01:17: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CD-ROMs make excellent bird-scarers to protect your fruit trees or vegetable gardens.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Amidst all the rubbish of decluttering I have found some useful things including a NZ film Rain of the Children that I would have sworn on a stack of bibles I had sent to my brother in NY. So now he will get that along with Hunt For the Wilderpeople that I sent him for Christmas. The motive for sending NZ films is to make him sufficiently homesick to return [Two face] I am such an evil sister.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016