homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 46)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
CD-ROMs make excellent bird-scarers to protect your fruit trees or vegetable gardens.

I've a cardboard hawk on fishing line from the third floor up to the back hedge for that! And I'm not really keen on on them in a small garden. OTOH, do they scare cats? I have a persistent visitor who does not seem to be deterred by the expensive deterrence device, and has smashed through the plastic roof of the mini greenhouse.

Today I have cleared space in the garage so I can get the car in. This has not resulted in a lot of clutter being prepared for removal, though there is some. It won't go for some time, though, as collections are not normal at the moment.

[ 23. December 2016, 17:15: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am now in an irritating state. I've done a quick tidy to clear the public spaces for visitors, and I don't know where anything is. (Well I do know - sort of. Things are in tubs and boxes in my study. But which containers?) This means days of reverse clearing to get back to working house. Hopefully I'll get rid of some stuff in the process.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remarked casually to Mr S that we needed either a) more bookshelves or b) fewer books, and suggested a small area of wall, hitherto unused, as a site for option a).

Being Mr No Time Like the Present* as well as Mr S, he took me up on it, and in consequence we spent the afternoon removing The TV That No-one Watches, and The Stereo That No-one Listens To, from the fitments in the Former Miss S's Former Bedroom**, and replacing them with The Books That We May Or May Not Read At Some Point [Yipee]

* I know women who would kill for such a husband, but believe me, when you have spent all morning cleaning the store room at the local food bank and are digesting a slice of gala pie that weighed as much as your year-old grandson, you do NOT want Mr No Time Like the Present demanding your opinion on where this or that shelf should go!

** The Former Miss S has been married 3 years, and moved out at least 7 years ago, but the room in question has remained unquestionably Her Room - if only because when her brother moved out, and I use the term loosely, it took the pair of us 3 entire months to clear every scr*p of cr*p, redecorate, and refurnish! [Eek!]

Mrs. S, still reeling

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a large landing that houses an equally large chest of drawers which has sentimental value for Mr Boogs (his grandfather made it). I want the landing furniture free for a drying rack, so the drawers are moving to the spare bedroom.

Much decluttering of spare room to make space for said drawers.

This could take some time [Roll Eyes]

The incentive? An electric drying rack! [Yipee]

Mrs S - we still call it 'Boogielet2's room [Smile]

[ 29. December 2016, 14:30: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My decluttering efforts took a holiday during the holidays, but earlier I found one of those boxes that gets moved from place to place and never opened. It contained cassette tapes from the 80s!!

I listened to one just for nostalgia's sake, but decided that listening to more would send me in the wrong direction for the task at hand. Found out that my local recycling place would not take the tapes, just the plastic containers they came in. So I sat in the car and removed the tapes from the cases, recycled one bag and threw the other in the trash, sad to say.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magnetic tape does not age well -- the little magnetic bits tend to fall off. You might well have found the sound quality of the tapes poor, or they might have entirely refused to play.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Nen got into Sorting Mode yesterday (it's an annual event around this time of year. Next up - Morose Musings on the Past Year and Life in General) with cases and boxes down from the loft. We really are determined to sort the house in the coming year. It's more than slightly daunting and I keep having to remind myself that it's a step at a time...

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Mr Nen got into Sorting Mode yesterday (it's an annual event around this time of year. Next up - Morose Musings on the Past Year and Life in General) with cases and boxes down from the loft. We really are determined to sort the house in the coming year. It's more than slightly daunting and I keep having to remind myself that it's a step at a time...

I too am in annual admin clearance mode. Not my favourite activity, but at least it makes sure that the place doesn't gradually silt up. Or so I tell myself.

Living on my own makes decluttering an odd thing. Being an anxiety-prone hoarder, I have no-one either inducing me to do it or helping me to deal with the anxiety spikes it causes. This does not make it any easier.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... we still call it 'Boogielet2's room ...

The small bedroom in Dad's house is, in my mind (and probably the minds of most of my family) still my brother's room.

He hasn't lived in that house since 1971. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was looking after a neighbour's cat over Christmas. She came with a basket that she loved as a kitten, but is really too big for now, so I managed to declutter myself of a larger basket for her to sleep in when my neighbour came back. I used to use it to display wools for historical re-enactment, but I'm not doing that any more (the organisers of the group are moving to Scotland, and I'm getting too old to camp out).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just gone and spent far too much money on a plush and cosy 'love seat' to go in the corner of my study. It should arrive in 5-7 days time. Which means I have 5-7 days to clear the study.

The love seat will be far too large, but I don't care. It is for curling up on with a good book in my luxurious, book-lined, perfectly ordered study.

Wish me luck.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like bliss, Cottontail - may you have health to curl up in it! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I spent part of yesterday sorting through the smallest 'bedroom', looking for a knitting loom.

This is a bedroom smaller than a bottom deck cruise ship cabin, or a room in a mobile home/trailer. You can't fit a bed in transversely, so space use is tricky. However, I have a folding bed with a proper sprung base, and I had a set of cupboards fitted over where it goes, on a caravan/shipboard principle.

The idea is that everything that would be in the loft, if I didn't have a flat roof, goes in the cupboards, and the tiny corner wardrobe, and on a couple of shelves that will be moved if it is used for sleeping, so it's all neat and tidy. Hah.

I tend to open the door and put things in and shut the door. Anyway, it looked a lot better by the time I found the loom, hidden behind the side of the dressing table, which had become visible again. It's now clogged up again by the Arts and Crafts chair which I have to get out of the way when a visitor who might lean on it comes. (One of the chairs was damaged, and when repaired, the worker said the designer was 'brave' in making its parts so slender.)

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been clearing the study for three days now, averaging 5 hours a day. Books are stacked in the hall, papers still to sort are in three crates in the dining room*, and the photocopier has been moved from its prime seat by the window to make way for the loveseat.

Another day should see it cleared, and then the rather more fun job begins, of moving all the books back in. [Smile]

* (They will get sorted. The dining room is my paper-sorting area.)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

We have a day, involving a demand for extended visiting, and catch up sleep, to reduce the clutter enough to access a zimmer frame before my friend's mother is discharged. My friend does not know where to start. I have suggested by the door and work back. He's run out of rubbish bags. As he hasn't used the rolls I have given him in the past...
Tomorrow I shall go over in my gardening clothes. With bags.
I shall set up a sorting station in my garage, with a large surface balanced on camping tables. I have boxes for stuff to go back.
We met staff who know about hoarding this time - last visit, when she had CO poisoning, they had no idea and thought her agency could be ignored, and work done without her permission, and blamed my friend for not doing so.

I need to do my own decluttering - just getting stuff out of the way for their Christmas visit has lost me things like my cutting out shears!

[ 03. January 2017, 00:20: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apartment Therapy has started its annual January Cure project--a month of decluttering support and assignments to help you learn and do, and to get your year off to a good start.

It's pretty light-hearted, and worth reading.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There is clutter, and then there is what I have been shifting. It is curious how, once moved, it occupies much more space. So you look at the bags in the boot (trunk), and think you have done well, and then at the space left behind, and realise you haven't.
I'm going to have a bath.

[ 03. January 2017, 19:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny--

Maybe it's like unpacking a suitcase? The contents expand, and you have an awful time trying to cram everything back in.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Yeah, there's a lot of air introduced in the process. Second session yesterday. Then the dear lady was discharged from hospital.
She explained, as if to infants, that it was no use having a major clear eight years ago, because it needed to be done every day.
Like picking up what you drop every day....!!!!
Money, food which would have been eatable, medication. Easy when I left it last time, clear down to the lino.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

The study is clear! After four years, I have a tidy bookshelves, a piano with nothing piled on top of it, and a vast expanse of carpet. [Yipee]

I even managed to sell a bunch of unwanted books for £50. That will help a little with the cost of the loveseat. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
The study is clear! After four years, I have a tidy bookshelves, a piano with nothing piled on top of it, and a vast expanse of carpet. [Yipee]

Marvellous!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a photograph, so that you can remind yourself of how it ought to look!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still working on the Former Intrepid Miss S's former bedroom. I had forgotten quite how much Stuff a tidy and organised young lady can leave behind, neatly stowed in the drawers under the bed, by the desk, in the bedside cabinets, just everywhere [Help] and yet leave the room looking ready for immediate re-occupancy!

The children's groups at church may take some of the craft stuff off my hands [Yipee] but old VHS tapes?! Neither they nor we still have the wherewithal to play them to see if they need keeping [Roll Eyes]

I am not (yet) mean enough to adopt her MiL's technique of taking it all down to their (now extremely) overcrowded house, and saying innocently 'I don't know how much of this you want to keep...'

With the Dowager and her six wardrobes of clothes, however, I have adopted the opposite approach of 'well, it isn't doing anyone any harm there, is it?' - a technique I normally despise wholeheartedly, but I simply can't face the misery of watching her taking it all out, putting it in bags and then putting it all back again the moment my back is turned! [Mad]

Mrs. S, rolling up her sleeves for the next onslaught

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have partly dealt with my utility room, which is also the passage to the garden. It had in it some boxes which had held various garden and downstairs purchases, some carrier bags from the garden centres, and a lot of dust on the floor, now swept up. Then I emptied a WPB which had been hurriedly filled with clutter from the hall shelf on which things are put when they arrive. There are some small electricals to go to the dump, and various flyers, plus things with my address for shredding, and instructions for various gadgets. All now filed properly, and a recycling and a non-recycling bag ready for collection. (Pity it was this morning.)

But it reminds me of something odd about my friend's mother's clutter. While clearing just inside the front door, I don't think I came across flyers or junk mail. Not many, if there were any at all, certainly not as many as I have. No pizza or kebab shops, blind fitters, double glazers, no charity envelopes from Barnardos or Crisis - zilch. Possibly they have been picked up and put somewhere else.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Is it possible that she's requested not to receive them? When we were in St. John's there was a whole bag of flyers that used to be hung on the door-handle every Friday and they tended to be filed immediately in the waste-paper basket, so we put up a "no flyers" notice in the window.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a sign on my letterbox and the people who deliver junk mail are really good at following instructions. So control of the paper mountain is in my own hands. I need to be more thoughtful about not picking up leaflets from the library and just reading information regarding new books. etc online. Fortunately the Council provided a huge wheelie bin for paper and other recyclables so I really have no excuse to have excess paper around.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

We have a 'no unaddressed mail, no cold callers' etc sign on our front door and STILL we get tons of cr*p paper! [Mad]

Some of the people delivering it can't read English, I think, and some of those who can, can't be bothered [Mad]

What really pisses me off is the cold callers who admit straight away that they've seen the notice 'BUT I'm doing some work for your neighbour...' Half the time THAT's not true, either - they're working streets away! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

We keep threatening to collect up a month;s worth of junk paper and select a company from it at random, posting the whole lot back without a stamp [Snigger] but somehow we never do *sigh*

Mrs. S, who never orders takeaway pizza or fills charity bags

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my apartment building there's a recycling bin underneath the mailboxes, just inside the gate, so it's easy to just toss unwanted stuff. The only accessible place to put flyers is on the gate, so whoever feels like it just grabs them on the way in and drops them in the bin.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a similar bin here and it is very useful. I empty letter box, go through it and take back upstairs only what is strictly necessary for me to keep track of.

Unfortunately we also went through a period where someone used to drop bagged household rubbish in this recycle bin.I suspect it was dropped as they hurried off to catch bus and they did not want to take the time to take it down to garbage room and the proper bin. Fortunately they have either moved or seen the error of their ways as no household bags have been there lately.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My junk seems to arrive via the proper post.

Meanwhile, a silly not-quite-decluttering story - I went down to the dump with my friend's bags and a couple of mine (somehow mislaid the small electricals, though), and came across a lady with a box of plates, scented candles and a coffee grinder and other useful stuff which the dump person thought should go into hard core. (Would building regs allow this? Shouldn't hard core be stuff capable of supporting a load?) So I ended up with it, washed the washable stuff in my boot, so none of it got into the house, packed it neatly in a polystyrene box that my sewing machine came in, and it's going to Oxfam tomorrow. The lady was moving to Northumbria, near her family, and they haven't anywhere to move to yet, so house clearance was in progress. Wall hung plates from all the places they'd visited, from the Eastern Med to Mexico. I am keeping one nice small earthenware bowl myself! And the government is going to pay a bit as well, because my donations are gift aided!

More bags tomorrow, I expect.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In the US we have a group called Freecycle, where you simply post stuff you want to give away. Your load sounds exactly like Freecycle stuff.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

We have indeed an offshoot of Freecycle, which I have used. But this load looks saleable.

I despair at the dump sometimes - perfectly usable children's cycles, victorian marquetry table in good nick (the training and the skill that went into it to be shredded), gold plated radiator (??? but the men had that one, I think), load of usable cutlery, clean rugs. But you can't tell the back story, and how long people have to sort and dispose of stuff, and online disposal may not be possible.

I got a couple of IKEA wooden cubic boxes which slotted exactly into my study, apart from revealing that I could use another two - the new ones weren't of the same quality as those which would have gone into the timber dump.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My town dump in New Hampshire had an area where you could leave reusable things that you didn't need anymore. You paid the dump attendants what you chose. I got a set of 5 Revereware pots with lids there once.

They also had books. One person kept dropping off romance novels in Finnish. I seriously doubt that anyone else wanted them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been a recent BBC day time programme called Money for Nothing, probably still on i-player, where usable items were taken for up cycling. The presenter chooses three items, two for professional work, one she works on herself. She then tries to sell the final products and hand any profits back to the person dumping the object in the first place. The cost of professionally reupholstering a chair is eye watering.

There are a lot of things not worth bothering with and cutlery is one of them.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

There are a lot of things not worth bothering with and cutlery is one of them.

Not quite the case down here. Years ago, op shops sold bone handled, broad bladed knives for 20-30 cents each. Now they are much closer to $10. Kept at counter in secure spot. They are extremely hard to find. I fortunately had quite a few. The blade sharpens well with a steel, handle is comfortable to hold and they are great for spreading.

My sister bought me a handful in a tiny interstate country town where no one had heard of Sydney prices for them. She tied a fancy pink ribbon around them and there was my welcome Christmas present

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Our town tip also has a room for unwanted stuff, not small things but furniture etc.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Chatting today at the other dump - the guy had redeemed a full Royal Albert teaset brought in by a widower clearing out his wife's stuff without looking in the box.

I wish our dumps had places for usable stuff to be swapped or bought. One does have a place for usable furniture to be donated.

[ 09. January 2017, 15:45: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In St. John's (and to a lesser extent here) people quite often just leave unwanted furniture on the pavement outside their houses, for anyone to pick up.

One Boxing Day, we were on our way to see some friends and spotted a little 4-drawer chest of the type you might have in a shed or garage. All it needed was for the drawers to be cleaned out, a couple of coats of black paint and some smart new handles and it was perfect for our dining-area, as drawer space in the kitchen was practically non-existent.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I sometimes see stuff left out round South London, but I'm not sure how formal this is, or the legality of taking it - round here, there is some belief that once left out, it belongs to the council for collecting. They may have been paid for picking up a bulky item.

And the opposite of the people who dump good quality stuff, the people who 'donate' rubbish at the charity shops. A chat at Oxfam, who were happy to take my rescue stuff - though the scented candles drew the comment that they are the 'most popular unwanted gift' passed on there, revealed the depths of nastiness that gets passed to them. Not just rubbish, but deliberately planned rubbish. Details available but more hellish. a local cancer charity shop had to close because of the volume of stuff which endangered the volunteers sorting it.

[ 11. January 2017, 08:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

The Love Seat is here! [Yipee]

Gorgeous and plush and slightly too large for its corner - it is fab. I have plans for much reading.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Health to enjoy it, Cottontail - but remember you sometimes have to do some work ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Took four sacks from my friend's home on my way back from the dentist's - left a note as he was out, and took them to the dump, where it looked as if they weren't going to go to the energy generation plant, but to landfill, which I would prefer not to happen to it.

I have moved another container from my office and put the contents into proper places in my kitchen. That makes the fourth of the stuff rapidly hidden before Christmas to be properly sorted. Plenty to go, and not enough chucked out. Too much put on the desk for future sorting, too!

I also found a new corded phone bought for use in power cuts - which I had completely forgotten, and went out today to get another one for the same purpose!

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bin day tomorrow....just gone for it and duped Loads of stuff....
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My bin day, too.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I also found a new corded phone bought for use in power cuts - which I had completely forgotten, and went out today to get another one for the same purpose!

One of my core beliefs is that you will never something like that until you have bought another one.

Story of my life [Frown]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Alas, all too true! I found an old coffee grinder after buying not one but TWO new ones!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have SNOW! forecast for tomorrow (with strong winds and/or showers, so a bit of a mix).

I intend to Stay Indoors, and to sort out my sideboard/dresser, which is crammed full of Stuff.

Of course, I shall have to go out into the SNOW! to put out the black bags, and to fetch in coal for the stove... [Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upthread where it is discussed re free things, when I helped my daughter move to Kingston (the tragically hip one in Ontario), she bought a table at Value Village (charity donation resale store chain), free things from kijiji, and a church new2u place. That and 2 suitcases we flew in with to Ottawa. She keeps talking about living minimally. It is quite possible to furnish an apartment in 3 days for less than $40.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Our church has had a small table available, for the last few Sundays, to resell unwanted Christmas gifts in aid of our local food bank.

What seems to have happened is that people are decluttering Other Stuff [Yipee] and other people are paying for their clutter! Win-win [Smile]

Mrs. S, acquiring discount candles [Big Grin]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Now that is a dangerous practice. I used to make sure that I donated unwanted gifts from children (from the very cheap stall in the market, usually) to charity shops the other side of the country, to avoid embarrassment.

But reminiscent of Tolkien's idea of mathoms - given as gifts around the village until everyone had had them, when they went into the mathom house or museum!

I have been wondering, these last few days, if that is the origin of grave goods hoards. They'd been round all the notables in the area, nobody wanted them anymore, so leave them to the barrow wights.

And in a Barry Cunliffe lecture, there was something about bronze axe heads deposited in rivers, apparently in groups at regular intervals, presumably for religious reasons, or to make sure there were enough customers for the smiths. Maybe that was decluttering, as well.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016