homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 47)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
...And in a Barry Cunliffe lecture, there was something about bronze axe heads deposited in rivers, apparently in groups at regular intervals, presumably for religious reasons, or to make sure there were enough customers for the smiths. Maybe that was decluttering, as well.

What a lovely thought - the local smiths get together and decide there are too many foreign imported axeheads about - and being foreign they must be inferior so gather them up and dump them to [artificially] inflate the local demand!

Get the local religious leaders on your side and the sky is the limit!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We appear to be shooting ourselves in the foot, clutter wise. Last January our village flooded. The flood waters stopped just short of us, but as the water crept along our street we were frantically carrying armfuls of stuff upstairs and dumping them any old how.

We decided to buy 20 stacking, lidded plastic boxes at £3 each from Asda, and store them in our garage. If we found ourselves in the same situation again, each box would be filled with one bookshelf or drawer full and moving stuff upstairs would become easy and ordered. It would also be easy to put everything back.

Since then, various members of the North East household have "borrowed" a box or two from the garage as temporary clutter storage. We now have plastic boxes of stuff dotted round the house. They are invidious, very easy to use as a quick solution, but little incentive to sort them out later. Bah!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've given away my boxes to my friend for sorting stuff. This means I don't have boxes to sort my stuff into - always need one empty one, like the missing space in those little puzzles with letters in a tray. But I have some Sainsbury's shopping boxes, and cubic bags from Lakeland which help.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have moved on to decluttering the knicker drawer (bought some new ones, which just show up the 50 shades of grey currently available) and the jigsaw puzzles. I put the knickers in the dustbin, you'll be glad to hear, but I might be able to unload some jigsaws on to my SiL [Two face] before I'm forced to take them to the charity shop.

Mrs. S, wondering what else can go...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I might be able to unload some jigsaws on to my SiL [Two face] before I'm forced to take them to the charity shop.

The Senior Center near me happily accepts jigsaw puzzles. (It's probably time for me to make another trip over there with some.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contemplating a house move with the next few years......is concentrating the mind Perfectly!
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I successfully decluttered most of the garage - my MG Midget has been rehomed to someone who will drive it more than I've had opportunity to and who was happy with the full asking price.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite a few spiders have been turfed out of their cosy homes.

My porch is now decluttered and cleaned [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sixteen long comic book boxes have now been downsized out of my life! There's so much room in my office now!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have given two wedge shaped cushions, all that was left from a divan that had to be dumped because it wasn't fireproofed, to D so she can be more upright in bed, which has left me with a gap a foot wide between my wardrobe and a blanket chest. I need something to go there to put things in. I have a small wooden box which might do to get more things out of sight, but I'd rather have something that opens forward so I can put things on it.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i can't believe that the words "my MG Midget" have been used on a decluttering thread
[Overused]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And I have found a stack of water hyacinth baskets in a wire frame, which enable me to do some tidying out of sight in the bedroom.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about to try Give Back Box for the first time. I have lots of Amazon boxes (Amazon seems to be one of their partners), and some clothes and things to declutter, and my church is no longer having a rummage sale. I'll see how it works.

Unfortunately, this is only available in the U.S. now, with plans to expand to Canada.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sounds like a good idea. But, after my conversation at our Oxfam shop, I have a horrid feeling that it would be used to dispose of stuff which would be better in a) the compost heap, or b) the dump.

They reckon only a third is sellable in the shop, and some isn't fit for recycling.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I'm about to try Give Back Box for the first time. I have lots of Amazon boxes (Amazon seems to be one of their partners), and some clothes and things to declutter, and my church is no longer having a rummage sale. I'll see how it works.

Unfortunately, this is only available in the U.S. now, with plans to expand to Canada.

They don't recycle card in the US?

We re-use them in our small business selling hand made candle holders and lead hangers. Then the recipients will put them in the recycling.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My large card goes on the garden in building up, lasagna style, layers of compostables, compost and soil into raised beds.

It may not be decluttering exactly, but I have just finished a job which has been hanging around (or rather not hanging) for ages, and this has definitely cleared some surfaces.

My bedroom had grey plastic venetian blinds under the previous owner. Hardly ever used them, as I like to see the stars out of the large windows at night, and when used, they make the room look like a clinic. Ages ago, I bought some track which I could curve round a corner so that, when drawn back, the curtains did not block the view, but it got into the when I get a round tuit mode.

Bye and bye, one of the blinds broke so that I could not adjust the angle. Then the other one's cords snapped. And today, I have somehow found the energy to sort it.

First, I had to unscrew the clips for the blinds, and see if the track supports fitted the same screw holes - which they did. But there was a problem. When I screwed the first support in, the screw was so long that it pushed the wall (which is of an odd construction) away from the window frame.

I bought some shorter screws, and replaced all the clips with track supports, and then added some more on the side wall (plasterboard, and thin). Hacksawed the track to length, after softening it in hot water (it came coiled tightly in a coil about 14 inches across), and fitted it on.

Then I have hung the original curtains from my last place so they hang against the wall, not across the window, unless I want to draw them across. The advantage of this is that my star view has been affected by the fixing of a security light on a footpath recently, which has shone on the wall and reflected about my room. The light will now be shining on a dark blue curtain.

Everywhere is neater. (But my spare room needs a new curtain or blind, in case anyone has to sleep there.)

I'm feeling proper chuffed.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

They don't recycle card in the US?

Yes, I recycle everything I possibly can. My favorite way to recycle is to re-use something, and after these boxes have been re-used Goodwill recycles them.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Three venetian blinds duly dumped. But I have kept the plastic rods used to switch the angle of the slats in case they come in useful. (Probably holding something up in the garden.)
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I stopped by our City's Household Hazardous Waste drop-off today and safely disposed of two long fluorescent tubes, some dead CFL bulbs, a bunch of batteries (likewise dead), and some miscellaneous electronics. Not much, but if I dispose of an equal amount of stuff every week, I might make a dent in the clutter. (I did also get rid of quite a bit of old paperwork a few days ago, and shipped off a box of gently worn clothes to Goodwill.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... My bedroom had grey plastic venetian blinds under the previous owner. Hardly ever used them ...

Because you couldn't get them out from under the previous owner?

I'll fetch my coat ... [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend Hilary came round yesterday afternoon and took away three boxes of paper, beads, glitter and other craft stuff. She was - in Mr. S's inimitable words* - like 'a Kid Wot's Been Given a Fahsand Pahnds' Worf of Sweets' [Killing me]

Her husband was not so pleased when I dropped them off on her doorstep, but we placated him by saying they were for use with the church children's groups [Two face]

* first uttered as I charged up the steps of the Le Creuset factory shop in Coutances [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, disingenuous [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... as I charged up the steps of the Le Creuset factory shop in Coutances ...

I suspect that's a place I should never be allowed to go. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Today I have discovered a problem with hurried decluttering. I reached out my hand for the rape seed oil to start the onions for a casserole, and it wasn't there. Nor were my bottles of olive oil.

I looked round everywhere on the kitchen surfaces. Nothing. I lokked in the cupboards, where I found an unopened bottle of another sort of oil which I used. But I was mystified.

Then I recalled moving stuff from the surfaces before the Christmas visit, and putting the stuff in a box somewhere else. I went down to the study, where a number of things were put. Nothing. And not the other things from the surface, either.

The box was in the garage (which I can reach from inside the house), with the bottles. I had, what with everything else going on, completely forgotten. If I had been able to put things back immediately, this would not have happened - but what on earth was possessing me to put foodstuffs out there?

Be careful with your decluttering!

[ 28. January 2017, 21:04: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... as I charged up the steps of the Le Creuset factory shop in Coutances ...

I suspect that's a place I should never be allowed to go. [Frown]
Similar thoughts about me although I have passed on a couple of really large ones to sons with families. Not much use to me basically cooking for myself.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We were lucky to be given two Le Creuset casseroles (one round, one oval) and a roasting dish as wedding presents from my sister and b-i-l, and I supplemented them later with a set of saucepans and a smaller round casserole when they were drastically reduced in a sale in Debenham's in Belfast.

I can predict with reasonable confidence that they'll outlive me - and they certainly won't be decluttered when we move into our new house. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Oh yes, they become heirlooms - Miss S has two, which we passed on to her from her grandmother when we were clearing out Grandma's belongings. It's very sweet, in that every time Miss S uses them, she remembers her Grandma! [Angel]

Mrs. S, feeling soppy

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a thick breadboard that is a slab of kahikatea ( NZ white pine) that was given to Mum's Aunt and Uncle as a wedding present in the early 1900s as a wedding present which I acquired when helping their daughter clear up the family home when she was moving into care. I also have our family bread board, a wedding present given to my parents by one of Dad's workmates who cut it in the shape of a pig with pokerwork eyes and curly tail.

To complete the set, a friend has just made me a bread board to fit into the slot where many 1950s houses had a pull out bread board.

It's lovely having the reminders of people that I have loved.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We have two cheeseboards in the shape of pigs, known affectionately as "the large cheese piggy" and "the small cheese piggy".

And no - they won't be de-cluttered either.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three bread knives for those few occasions when I need just one. My grandmother's does a really good job slicing and I regret that the board which went with it was old and thin and broke when I dropped it. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have two small Le Creuset casserole dishes, and my mothers' much too big one, and another of hers which I intend, at some point, to use in a haybox made of an old coolbox plus some polystyrene beads in a remodelled duvet cover. Another when I get round to it job.

I don't know if sorting the freezer counts as decluttering, but I have worked through three drawers this morning while still in my pyjamas. There are a surprising number of unlabelled things in zip bags. I have found a fish pie which had escaped being written on the blackboard on the door, and replaced it with the pork mince and apple, labelled. In theory, I am moving things up the freezer to fill up the drawers as I go, but oddly, though I have been eating things from there, there is not a lot of space. I was hoping for enough to fit the icecream maker bowl in.

(Really silly thought - could I run soup through the ice cream machine and have a savoury ice?)

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Absolutely agree re: not finding stuff.

Why were the red onions under the spare bed?

( mind you, why is the spare bed in the study?....but that is a whole Other discussion!)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

???
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have "The Da Vinci Code" under our bed - it is just the right height to substitute for a missing foot, and it's the right place for it anyway.

Busy decluttering prior to forthcoming mood. Lots of stuff has gone, yet the house looks just as full as ever. Perhaps "stuff" swells to fill a vacuum?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Finally -- a good use for "The Da Vinci Code"! And here I never thought it was worth the paper it was printed on.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It did get me to change my PIN number. Silly me, thinking Fibonnaci was obscure.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We have "The Da Vinci Code" under our bed - it is just the right height to substitute for a missing foot ...

When D. was giving organ lessons to a bloke who was a good bit taller than he is, he used four copies of Common Praise* to prop up the organ-bench to the right height. [Big Grin]

* It's the "modern words" (i.e. badly messed-about-with) hymn-book in the Church of Canada.

[ 31. January 2017, 21:34: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got a lot done today. [Smile]

Good luck to all of us!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have four bags of unneeded clothes tied up and ready to go.
I went through all the pockets, hoping to find a winning Lotto ticket or some $50 notes, but all I found was a slip of paper that said, "I have personally inspected this garment and attest that it is of the highest quality. Quality tester number 6."
Still, it's good to be making some progress.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just deposited my recycling bin of the footpath for emptying tomorrow. It's the nearest its ever been to full [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I've been dealing with a little bit every day. I have a houseguest arriving in a few weeks, which is always a wonderful incentive.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Us as well.....it Always helps!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm hoping that some serious declutterment will happen in a couple of weeks' time when we get our Stuff out of storage; there's no way that all our furniture will fit into the new house, so something's gotta go!

This'll be when I discover just how much editing D. did when he went to pack up the Stuff before the movers arrived ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have just deposited my recycling bin of the footpath for emptying ...

I'm intrigued to learn that your local authority has special bins in which residents can place the dug-up remains of their footpaths ... [Devil]

[ 05. February 2017, 15:36: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Having had to hang up the hall runner in the garage to dry again (not sure exactly why it was wet before I washed it - there's what I fear, and what I was told), I took the collection of stuff from the kitchen - several clean jars to the utility room, and the rest back to its proper place.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have just deposited my recycling bin of the footpath for emptying ...

I'm intrigued to learn that your local authority has special bins in which residents can place the dug-up remains of their footpaths ... [Devil]
I shouldn't post when I'm wearing the wrong glasses [Hot and Hormonal]

Actually after the quakes I put broken bits of footpath and driveway into the red (rubbish bin). I am more careful what I put in the recycling bin as people have to hand sort it.

Huia

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes, and I think that people often forget that. My wife has the habit of tearing up pieces of paper (non-confidential articles etc.) that she doesn't want before putting them in the bib, I tell her not to for that very reason.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yay Golden Key

- me too.

I put 3 NZ history books on the local freecycle, one person was only interested in one so I left the post there for the other two. Two weeks later another man from out of town posted asking if the books were still available as he was coming to Christchurch forsa few days. In the course of our emails back and forth he said he loved NZ history, so I gathered up 8 more [Yipee]

These books were my Dad's and I rescued them from the family home knowing they were too good to just dump, but not wanting to fill my shelves with them, so they have gone to a good home [Smile] .

I have also collected up old towels and mugs depicting cats to go to the SPCA op shop [Yipee]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yay, Huia!

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have, in Mr C's absence, turned the kitchen upside-down. The crockery is now in the top cupboards and the food in the lower, which should mean I don't drop so much when I rake around looking for almonds or cocoa powder or whatever. I've been to the hardware shop and bought storage trays which should keep the flour and canned food tidy.

The kitchen looks exactly the same, but I feel better. And it's fun watching Mr C open all the cupboards looking for things. In the process of emptying everything out I took a car full of stuff to the British Red Cross shop. They have a policy of using everything they are given which I like.

Cattyish, eyeing up the other cupboards.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016