homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 51)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having left my home in a pre-Christmas disarray, I am now ploughing through the declutter and organise process.

First, tidy the bedroom. In the wake of a successful 12 weeks with Slimming World this involved three mighty rubbish bags of clothes going to the charity shop. Then downstairs, where a medley of Christmas presents and wrappings, books, stuff brought in from my my mobile office and wardrobe, aka the car, almost blocked access.

Cleared the three-shelf wheeled trolley from its place between two armchairs to the hall, where it provides much of the shoes, boots, scarves, hats, gloves, and swimming stuff with a new home.

The piano stool, a basic box on legs, is actually too tall for the piano unless you have legs like sticks of spaghetti and approximately the same length. That, covered with a cloth, now makes a small coffee table between the armchairs, and a dining chair with cushion suffices at the piano.

The books, bits and sewing materials sort is ongoing, but I can get into the hall!

Time for a break. [Biased]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Declutterers might find some motivation in this: The Minimalist Game. The idea is to get rid of one object on Day 1, two on Day 2, and so on. By my calculations, that would be 465 objects over 30 days!

In that case I'm ahead of the game so far, I think. At least 40 items of clothing and a dozen or so CDs. ....according to the plan, tomorrow would be a total of 37, so I should be ok till Wednesday at least. [Biased]

Now, giving away one of my tea sets would be 21 in one go - if the process is sustainable till the 21st... [Ultra confused]

(No, I would not give it away in tranches - all or nothing.)

[ 07. January 2018, 16:13: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely if you're getting rid of it all in one go (of course you would), it just counts as one thing? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the small advantage of this forced decluttering is that my fabric stash is being decluttered by being made up into clothes, fast. I made a pair of pyjama bottoms last night (out of cotton winceyette).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Surely if you're getting rid of it all in one go (of course you would), it just counts as one thing? [Big Grin]

Nope.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making progress.

{{{{{all of us}}}}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

As I'm still working - retirement is a date which recedes as I approach it - I have a wonderful lady who cleans for me. Came back to find all my decluttering/tidying had somehow acquired the gleam of cleanth* which made it look very good indeed.

Now for the rambunctious sewing corner.

* As opposed to filth.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool, jacobsen! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about all this decluttering. One of the art supplies I found was Jac paper - which is like a sheet of double sided sellotape. I though about biffing it and put it in the possible pile, now someone has suggested I get some for a block mounting some photos.

The point is the block mounting is something I've never done before (I just want to do a few family photos). So now I'm wondering what I may got rid of that I may want in the future. I know I can't allow for all possibilities, but I'd kick myself if I had already passed it on.

Huia - trying not to be paralyzed by lack of clairvoyance.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I'm not sure about all this decluttering.
- snip -
So now I'm wondering what I may got rid of that I may want in the future. I know I can't allow for all possibilities, but I'd kick myself if I had already passed it on.

Not to worry, Huia. It'll come in handy even if you never use it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I'm not sure about all this decluttering. One of the art supplies I found was Jac paper - which is like a sheet of double sided sellotape. I though about biffing it and put it in the possible pile, now someone has suggested I get some for a block mounting some photos.

The point is the block mounting is something I've never done before (I just want to do a few family photos). So now I'm wondering what I may got rid of that I may want in the future. I know I can't allow for all possibilities, but I'd kick myself if I had already passed it on.

Huia - trying not to be paralyzed by lack of clairvoyance.

I’ve still got a sheaf of blotting paper I bought in 1973. It’s survived every declutter and is still in its original packing.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

My sewing corner has been whipped into shape, and I can see the dresser at last. [Yipee]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided this year I'm going to take decluttering more seriously, but not get too obsessive about it. I've tried 'room at a time' kind of things before and it's not worked for me, so this year I'm just going to commit to do at least one decluttery thing a week. Last week I sorted a bag of clothes from my wardrobe for the charity shop. Not sure yet what this year's will be, but I'm thinking possibly about sorting out a bag of stuff for shredding.

Having said 'room at a time' doesn't work for me, though, the fact remains that I do have a "room of doom" (it's a spare room, my office, drying clothes space and general dumping ground). So separately from the 'thing a week' decluttering, I'll also do a 'thing a week' specifically for that room. A big priority is to dig out the scanner and get it working, so I can scan all the articles I printed out for my PhD and then put the actual articles in the recycling. That will make a ton of space.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we're actually at the stage of getting Memoranda of Sale both for our sale and purchase, I took a slightly horrified look at all the STUFF we own (regardless of the fact that much of it has been pushed into cupboards etc just to get it out of the way for viewings, there's still an inordinate amount).

Cue decluttering of the easy stuff, i.e. clothes. All my evening clothes, only worn this many a year to MC the annual concert - men have it easy, a new bow tie and everyone thinks they're Beau Brummel [Killing me] All my work suits - like, 3 of them, one over 25 years old but still in good nick. Two wetsuits, one Miss S's and one mine.

And boots. And handbags. And - even easier - jigsaw puzzles. Not even scratched the surface!

Praise the Lord, our vendors are leaving the wardrobes [Overused]

Mrs. S, wringing her hands

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... Praise the Lord, our vendors are leaving the wardrobes ...

You mean you're just going to relocate all your STUFF to your new house? [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, definitely not!

On the subject of decluttering, the last two Januaries our church has held a sort of bring-and-buy sale after morning service, for unwanted Christmas presents. It takes no work from anyone - people bring stuff along and other people buy it.

This year, £200 has been banked for the local food bank/city mission; what's left goes to their charity shop [Yipee]

Has to be the best and easiest way of making money from old tat, ever!

Mrs. S, wondering if it shouldn't run all year round [Devil]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an interesting topic! I have never looked at
it before, but have just browsed through the last two pages. I throw everything away - probably too much!!

[ 22. January 2018, 18:13: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The equipment and materials I have been saving from the work skip, and playing with / saying I'm going to sell for charity - have started to be sold for charity. But gosh, it takes some time. Thank goodness for the local vegan wholefood cooperative (!) who offer their cardboard to customers for nothing. Between them and Hermes, things are happening.

Anyone (UK) have a church in need of a big PA amplifier - 150W (morning service) or 800W (fairly serious disco) - which they'd consider buying for a Christian Aid donation? [Smile]

I need to get moving - at work they're talking about knocking our building down. The waste will be monstrous, and I'll be helpless in the face of it. Got to make some room in advance!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have discovered a previously hidden "treasure trove" of junk in my spare bedroom. (the cat hid under the divan when I needed to take her to the vet so I removed the drawers). Amongst other stuff there were several rolls of brown paper, two unused. I put one unused roll on freecycle and within hours had 5 replies!!!

I wish all my decluttered objects were in such high demand.

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark, do they have Facebook Yard Sale in the UK? (To check, go onto your Facebook page and put the phrase 'yard sale YourTownName' into the search window.)
Or do they have Craigslist? How about Freecycle? Those are the places I'd go to sell/give away stuff without stress.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

First lot of clothes to a charity shop this morning, regardless of the fact that it was tiddling down with rain [Yipee]

Also, a box of books sorted for onward transmission; and a bootful of stuff actually to go to the dump [Yipee] [Yipee]

Mr. S has decimated (at least!) all the computer stuff he keeps for mending Other People's Computers, and I have sorted an enormous batch of Stuff for the jumble sale [Yipee] [Yipee]

Maybe we'll be able to afford the removers after all [Two face]

Mrs. S, getting into practice for the Dowager's house

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

Mrs. S, getting into practice for the Dowager's house

Other people's houses are easier in my experience - unless it is your childhood home - then it's a total nightmare. [Two face]

We found DDT in my mother's cousins' place [Eek!]

Huia

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

A set of golf clubs and trolley, and a second load of clothes and bric a brac to the charity shops; a car load of genuine cr*p to the dump. We're making progress, but sadly unearthed another load of Master S's STUFF that he's squirrelled away in one of our lofts [Mad]

Also have sorted through the under-stairs cupboard *hallelujah* only to discover two saxophones and a guitar that aren't ours [Mad]

Mrs. S, who feels that attics should be abolished

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I traced the faint smell of cannabis in the kitchen to a real stench inside the cleaning cupboard, which has now been thoroughly decluttered. I will even be able to fit the vacuum cleaner in there. (It's one of those taller usual kitchen cabinets, the vacuum cleaner more or less fills the cupboard.) Lots of gardening stuff going to the charity where I am currently working (where a slight whiff of cannabis will not be a problem).

That one irritates me because we guess it's all picked up the smell from the environment, nothing has been put in there, no reason for anything smelling and it was fine when I got a folding chair out a month ago.

Sadly another pile of stuff out my daughter's wardrobe, some of which is being washed, again, but the scarves and belts are going to benefit the charity shops. She is currently making trousers so she has some to wear.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Decluttering continues apace here at Chateau S. We made another trip to the dump, but now Mr. S has had the bright idea of putting up lists in church of things we need to get rid of (the sale or wanted board is part of our eco-church credentials and is worth having, at last!). So far we have decluttered
  • a flat screen monitor
  • a large picture, a present from my late brother
  • a small guitar amp
  • an acoustic guitar
  • a bike rack
  • and a kitchen sink

Next up - two ladies' wetsuits!

Mrs. S, becoming obsessive

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During a recent period of leave from work, I did more loads of laundry in a short space of time than I might otherwise manage in 6 months or so. As a result, I have realised that I own dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of pairs of black tights.

I can think of two possible explanations:

1) Whenever I am due in court for work, which often occurs after a generally hectic period when I'm not particularly up-to-speed with my laundry, I go grocery shopping and think to myself, "I'm in court tomorrow / on Thursday / next week. I must make sure I have some decent tights." And I therefore buy a couple of packets of black tights not realising how many decent and serviceable pairs I already have at home.

2) The black tights are secretly breeding in their storage box under my bed.

Given just how many pairs I now find I have, I'm not convinced that option 2 is much more bonkers than option 1 as an explanation.

My plan to tackle the black-tights takeover shall be as follows:

*) Any holey, laddered or uncomfortable black tights to be immediately banished to the Old Tights bag for use as dusters, gardening equipment, etc.

*) No more black tights to be bought until I can vouch that I definitely have less than 14 serviceable pairs already in my possession. Given that this may take some months or years to achieve, I am expecting to save some pennies on the black-tights buying front.

Are there any other items which can result in such large but accidental and unobserved stockpiles? I don't keep excessive supplies of toiletries, loo rolls, etc, and don't seem to have as much of an issue with tan / nude tights compared to black ones. But how have I gone all this time and only now realised that the number of pairs of black tights I own is bonkers and far beyond what I need?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zoey, I am sure you are correct in choosing option 2 from your possibilities.

The problem is the bed. They breed under the bed in tha dark where you can’t easily see them. How do I know? I have boxes of sock yarn and another of lace weight under my bed. On the few occasions I open the boxes, there is always some I do not remember.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to report that I have on occasion bought a book that I already own.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I declutter a cupboard in my mother's cousin's laundry and found a huge collection of rubber gloves. She was really embarrassed until I mentioned my equally large number of light bulbs [Hot and Hormonal] .

Now that the eco friendly bulbs last much longer I only keep two spares.

But we won't even mention my needlework stash...

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We found what at first looked like a lifetime's supply of light bulbs when we moved into our house, but it turned out that most of them are the large-size ones that you get on multiple-bulb bathroom light fittings. That's fine and dandy, as we have two bathrooms, but the bulbs that have blown since we moved in have been ones that fit other lights. Murphy's Law, eh?

At least, when the bathroom ones start to blow we'll be well prepared.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Following a rat invasion in my loft, I've hardly ever been up there to see what I'm still hoarding. The rats were got rid of, but the aversion remains.

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem is washing up sponges. They get pushed to the back of the horrible cupboard in the Futility, where they join forces with the elderly mildew-cleaner and the linseed oil. It isn't pretty

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I try not to have more than one washing-up sponge on the go at any one time; when it gets beyond a joke it gets binned and a new one takes its place.

They tend to last a long time in our house, as everything that can go in the dishwasher, does.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Do you also cook whole salmon (duly wrapped in kitchen foil) in the dishwasher? I'm told it works well.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

So I've heard, but D. doesn't like fish (apart from F&C), so it's not really something I'd cook at all.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I've lost my wool stash! OK, so I did tidy up, to enormous self-congratulation. But where did I tidy the wool? In a small house it should not be possible to lose it.

Borrowers, beware

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

How -large- was the stash?

Knitters plagued with moth can kill the pests by loading all the yarn into plastic bags and tying them up tight. Then you either put the bags out in the cold (if it's winter) or the sun (in hot climates). You need to do this for three weeks or so, so that all the eggs and larvae freeze (or bake) to death. The grave danger is that some kindly family member will put all those garbage bags out for the trash collection! I hope that no one has accidentally thrown your stash away.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda

Three weeks of consistent weather cold or warm enough to do that in the UK is the stuff of legends. Oh the joys of living on an island in the Gulf Stream

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Jacobsen, it's a little known fact that there is a thriving colony of Borrowers that migrated here some years ago. It's the only explanation I can find for things disappearing into a black hole on a regular basis.

Good luck with finding the stash.

Or you could always go out and acquire more [Two face]

Huia

[ 13. February 2018, 17:12: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huia, dear, go and wash your mouth out with soap. This is a de-cluttering thread, not a re-cluttering one.

[Devil]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The Black Hole into which things mysteriously disappear would make an interesting decluttering project, if one could only find it.

If anyone does, please could I have my wool stash back? [Waterworks]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Humble apologies Piglet. I was really describing how I frequently fall from the path of righteousness [Hot and Hormonal]

I have discovered an op shop that sells needlework material, so now I have somewhere to declutter to, and the local ambulance service will benefit. A win all round. The biggest obstacle will be organising myself, but the Easter school holidays will give me some time to do that.

Hope you find your stash Jacobsen.

Huia - penitent backslider

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

This week's decluttering has included my wardrobe, chest of drawers and "jewellery" drawer. There are things that have picked up the funky smell that come into the category of don't wear, not bothered, probably should have been decluttered sooner. Others are very irritating: I really would like one of my (2) swimming costumes to come clean, in the same way that I would have liked to have kept more than one of my bras and not be washing brand new, not worn knickers and socks.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Is it possible that your bathing-costume might lose the whiff once it's done a few lengths of a chlorinated swimming-pool?

Just a thought.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Probably the whiff off chlorine is just as bad.

Even better than decluttering; today I managed not to buy some even weave material for a stitching project and came home and found a piece that is even more suitable that the material I was considering, and it's exactly the right size so no wastage [Yipee]

As far as the material in my stash goes, the Library is organising "The Great Stash Swap" in which crafters bring items from their stash and can take items others bring. No money changes hands.

First swap is over the other side of town, second will be at my local library. I intend going to both - wearing a blindfold if necessary

I figure I will be able to dump stuff and run.

Huia - phantom stash dumper [Biased]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

If you see my wool stash, do let me know. [Biased]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ah well, neither swimming costume survived*, nor have a couple of pairs of work shoes, my slippers, flip flops, most of my belts or 90% of my arts / crafts stash (paints, brushes, acrylic and cartridge paper, any unframed acrylic paintings). I did manage to save a few photographs. They were in stacking crates without lids, mostly under my bed - 5 crates down to about 2 half crates that I will probably be able to pack away into the filing cabinet later. It's a pain as I was planning to make cards from the saved recycled paper with Guides next week and that collection has gone.

My summer clothes went - stored in a case on top of the wardrobe, case and contents had all absorbed the whiff and nothing came clean when I tried.

Next source of horrors is the filing cabinet. I cleared out one whiffy drawer last night partially, because, whether it smells or not, I need my birth certificate. I have another funky drawer to tackle this morning.

Bored now, very, very bored now.

*one may have come clean swimming in a chlorinated swimming pool but I would not have been well as a result. I stopped swimming when I started reacting too badly to chlorine. When I'm trying to get the flat clean enough for my daughter to stop reacting to the weed in the atmosphere and give the 4 x recommended dose of anti-histamines and steroids she's on a chance of working, I'm trying to get stuff clean or out fast.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There comes a time when the labor of trying to clean an item is not worth it. Cheaper, faster, easier, to buy a new swimsuit.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

You are right, Curiosity. Speed is the priority here before you go quite mad. Saving yourself hassle is a worthy aim.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a deep shelf in the study which I haven’t looked under for four years - time to face the clutter!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016