homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Mr Nen took a carload of stuff to the community recycling place this morning. Two computers. Two monitors. Two televisions. Two radios. All from the loft. I never realised there was so much stuff up there... I must have known about it once, but forgotten...

Sounds like the Ark for electricals - the items went in 2 by 2....
[Killing me] Doesn't it just? [Biased]

Nen - thankful the electrical pairs didn't start breeding in the loft.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm painting the attic I cleared out a few months ago. So upsetting to find out how grubby it was. No wonder no-one wants to buy the house.

I'm using a special light reflecting paint that is supposed to make small spaces look bigger and lighter.

Unfortunately I am not sure I have chosen the right colour. It is a bit pinker than I expected.

I went to an exhibition recently and fell for a
Morphy Richards Steam Cleaner

Has anyone used one? How do you get on with it?

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just thought I'd update you all - I've had my cleaner 5 months now and I think I may have turned into a tidy person. Everything is getting put away straight after I've used it. What's happening to me?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Morphy Richards steam cleaner, but a cheaper model. I like it. We have lino in our porch and kitchen, and tiles in our bathroom and showerroom, and it makes a good job of them. Our bathroom in particular is a nightmare as the previous owners floored it with white tiles, and it gets grubby easily.

It heats up quickly and it's light and easy to use. I use tap water as we live in an area with low limescale, so that, after the initial outlay, it's cheaper than using a bucket and mop with cleaning liquid. The floors dry quickly; our kitchen lino is slippy when wet, so that's good.

My only gripe is that I'd like a longer flex on mine to reach from the nearest socket right into the bathroom and showerroom.

[ 25. June 2013, 12:17: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a similar thing, different make but same basic idea. I do love it because cleaning the floors is my third least favourite household task (after cleaning the cat litter tray and taking out the rubbish). I thought having this might help me to wash the floors more often. At first it did, but I have the same aversion to sweeping the floor as I do to mopping and it hasn't helped with that!

I do really like it tough and it's great for cleaning the shower and the kitchen cabinets, stuff like that. I've even tried it on my sofa, but it think every machine probably need to know its limitations...

I'm working on starting a general declutter at the moment because I've just been feeling overwhelmed by 'stuff" lately. My house is actually pretty tidy and clutter free but I just feel like there is too much stuff in it, so I think it needs paring down slightly. Not even remotely sure what to start with though!

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a steam mop which does the job well when I get around to using it. I need one that does it for me without my prompting.

I've just returned from a week in a lovely holiday cottage which was almost clutter free (just a few ornaments to make it look more homely) and was hit by the clutter at home and have had to resist the clear-out because it is sentimental or useful clutter, and I have to remember that i always feel like this when I come back from a more functional place.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's all very encouraging. Hopefully it won't turn into another bit of clutter.

Congratulations Chive, that is great news.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I subscribe to the Writing Magazine, and when I've read a copy I have been keeping them on a shelf to look at again some time. Yesterday the pile reached the top of the shelf so I couldn't squeeze another magazine on, so I thought I'd go through them to get rid of the ones I didn't want to keep for useful articles.
I now have a nice empty space on my shelf, and I'm disposing of all of them!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I'm not convinced about the steam mop yet. But I have only used it once, and what with the buying of distilled water, the reading of the instructions and the scratching of the head, and the finding of screwdrivers to fix various bits to each other - I felt it was easier to use the traditional scooting a j cloth round with the foot method of cleaning the bathroom floor.

Meanwhile the decorator started on the main bedroom today. So quite a lot of decluttering went on while we were moving everything out yesterday.

I am hopeful that when all is done we will be able to get rid of a wardrobe in the spare bedroom thanks to my previous purging of clothes.

I was so upset when we moved the furniture in the bedroom. Behind it in the corners the wall paper was peeling and black with mould and cobwebs. [Eek!] and [Hot and Hormonal]

I shouted at Mr T for a bit and felt better. Told him we need a new carpet as well as curtains as in the corners where the mould and condensation had been the carpet came out in clumps when I hoovered.

He is not happy as we are putting it back on the market when the work is done.

No wonder no-one wanted to buy it. Although they couldn't see the mould etc, clearly we hadn't realised quite how grotty the room had got.

In fact I am jolly glad we have decorated before selling. I would have been mortified if we had only found all this when we moved out and had to leave it for the buyers.

I am now thinking that it will be best to move out and rent before putting it back on the market. Then we can deal with any grot and people will see that all is ready to move into and clean as it will be empty.

Haven't told Mr T this yet.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matters have slipped again........
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't usually post in this thread, but I have just got rid of a desk and all its contents have been redistributed neatly to other space or tossed. Which just leaves two piles of filing to do soon, as someone is coming to stay on the futon on which it is distributed. At some point before Sunday I must feel motivated.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Congratulations on the desk removal Pete C.

How are you getting on Ethne Alba?

The decorator assured me that mould and peeling wallpaper behind furniture against external wall corners is commonplace and even the best households suffer from it.

A bit like headlice in children I suppose.

She is going to treat the walls to inhibit its reappearance. Seemed confident about it.

This is all very reassuring but I am still going to make sure the furniture is not replaced tight against the wall.

Must be more organised about doing proper cleaning more regularly.

Still fomenting plans to move out before selling.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

A ridge of paper mountains....
[Frown]

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I hosted the meeting at my house in the garden, using excuse that the living room gets the evening sun and heat and garden shadier, plus hint of breeze (just a hint!) - but really it was about not having to face rescuing the room from clutter plus this weekends event planning on top!

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avila - that's a really creative response [Overused]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight I have gone through my wardrobe, underwear and sock drawers, chest of drawers and anywhere else where I might store clothes and had a good sort out! I've filled three black bags with stuff to donate / throw and have two piles of things to give to friends when I next see them! I've also pared down my bed linen and rearranged the storage across the two bedrooms to make better use of the space.

Feeling very virtuous.

--------------------

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
Tonight I have gone through my wardrobe, underwear and sock drawers, chest of drawers and anywhere else where I might store clothes and had a good sort out! I've filled three black bags with stuff to donate / throw and have two piles of things to give to friends when I next see them! I've also pared down my bed linen and rearranged the storage across the two bedrooms to make better use of the space.

Feeling very virtuous.

Yes, it makes you feel great, doesn't it?

In other news, I took a deceased computer monitor to the dump and went to hand it to the guy sorting out the electricals.
Guy: Take it to the office please.
Me: It doesn't work, you know.
Guy: Yeah, just take it to the office anyway.
(I take it to the office, hand it to Office Guy)
Me: It doesn't work, you know.
Office Guy, very crestfallen: Oh. (takes it anyway)
As if anyone would take a large flat screen monitor to the dump if it was still working! [Confused]

I'm currently trying to persuade Mr. S into doing the exact same things as Little Miss M above - having thrown out all my unsuitable clothing I am now seeking what I might throw out from his wardrobe [Devil]

The Sneaky Mrs. S [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

I'm currently trying to persuade Mr. S into doing the exact same things as Little Miss M above - having thrown out all my unsuitable clothing I am now seeking what I might throw out from his wardrobe [Devil]

Ah, I need to work on the same thing with my boyfriend... We don't live together, but you wouldn't know it from the amount of his stuff all over my flat. I'm fine with most of it, but he has hoarding tendencies (actually no, he has full blown hoarding behaviour) and I don't want all the random crap he rescues ending up in my house! I did some washing yesterday of stuff he had brought in, and I didn't recognise most of the clothes! Where did they come from? I've certainly never seen him wear them...

Ah well, I suspect this is going to be a constant feature of our relationship, so i'd better start getting used to it now!

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am on the move (again), and am trying to be ruthless, and move less junk than usual. I however have lots of hoarding tendencies so this is tough! Any advice welcome.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making some progress. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I am on the move (again), and am trying to be ruthless, and move less junk than usual. I however have lots of hoarding tendencies so this is tough! Any advice welcome.

Lots of advice for anyone with hoarding tendencies looking to declutter and move here

Try a search on the site or just post a question and people will pile in with links and advice.

First off, get rid of everything you can before packing/moving. Firstly, obvious trash. Then you have amnesty from donating or recycling or mending/repurposing/selling or whatever reason you were saving stuff for. The priority is to get rid of it. You cannot organise clutter/a hoard, you can only get rid of it.

Get rid of everything that will not fit into the new place.

Pack up everything that is essential for the new place that does not need to be in use between now and the move.

Set aside/make a list of stuff that you will be using up to the move.

That could be a method to start with.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Forgot to say, congratulations Golden Key.

--------------------

cross eyed bear
Shipmate
# 13977

- Posted      Profile for cross eyed bear   Email cross eyed bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some encouragement: I have been lurking on this thread more than posting, but, as shared in an earlier post, have been prompted to do a lot of decluttering of my own.

Two weeks ago, my office flooded. (i'm self-employed and rented an office closer to the city). Everything had to be moved out and set up so I can work from home, whilst the landlord gets the floor professionally dried and renovates the place. If I do go back in, it'll take a while.

Because I had done so much decluttering in the office and at home, 95% of the stuff I ended up removing from the office was relevant to my work, and we had the space at home to set up a workable office within three days.

So, thanks for prompting me to declutter!

--------------------
"One false step in my direction, you'd better believe in the resurrection" Stillgoe & Skellern's "Mrs Beamish"

Posts: 120 | From: Southern Germany | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally admitted that I am never going to knit/sew all those tangled skeins and scrap pieces. Filled two large black bin bags - which is as much as I had space to put out. Probably still half as much again to chuck.

Also need to tackle several years output from painting classes. I don't think I'll be impoverishing Art by chucking 95% of my productions.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finally got rid of the several hundred books that were cluttering my spare bedroom. Freecycle is wonderful and they're going to be sold for charity so I'm delighted. I think everything is done now and I can relax in my house. [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The house has been a tip since our son's wedding six weeks ago. We fetched into use loads of 'stuff' that had been stashed away for years, all of which meant first moving other 'stuff' to get to it. Now I have to try and put it all away again. The ancient table-linen has been washed and ironed and returned to its box behind the bath sheets, so the airing cupboard is more-or-less back to rights. It's a start I suppose.

I am currently clearing out the big cupboard in the hall. The contents of three shelves have been culled - the shelves are still quite full, but tidy, and nothing falls out when the doors are opened. This evening I pulled out at least 15years-worth of old greetings cards (I know they are that old because I found our silver-wedding cards, and we hit 40 years this year). They have yet to make it to the recycling bin, I'm just waiting for daylight.
That leaves me a nice empty space at the bottom into which I can move the colouring books and pens when I clear out the top shelf. Then the grandkids can reach them without a) standing on a stool and b) having a shower of books fall on their heads

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

cross eyed bear - that is a good story, thanks. Hope you get your proper office back soon.

Firenze - I felt much better when I finally made myself get rid of all the stuff I was never going to use/finish. Strangely I started getting more done on other things. All the UFO's induced a sort of paralysis, I couldn't do anything else while all that stuff was hanging about.

Chive - [Overused] Many congratulations, fantastic achievement.

Good luck Roseofsharon.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The recycling bin is nearly full, and it's a whole week to collection day. It weighs a ton - all those greetings cards, out of date guide books and road atlases from the hall cupboard.
Still two shelves to go.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

When an aunt died my cousins found she had kept every single card they, and possibly anyone else had ever sent her!

I think they had a few happy memories going through them, but I don't think they kept them. I wonder how often my aunt looked at them.

My mil had a collection of postcards. She kept every single postcard anyone ever sent her. My sil has still got them but I am not sure why she is keeping them.

On the basis of throwing out anything that hasn't been looked at/in use for a year or more I would be decluttering my wedding photos. [Eek!]

Sometimes I consider it. [Snigger]

The main bedroom decorating project meant that all the boxes of papers and photos that lived on top of the wardrobes had be moved. I have banned them from returning until they have been sorted. But that won't happen for a while. But I do have an incentive because I will be tripping over them all the time.

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week organised the set aside research stuff in preparation for returning to study after 7 months interruption - I have order!!

less good was time off browsing in nearby town where I came home with some lovely remnant material and clear 'black bag' full of foam blocks [Help] I don't yet know what they will be useful for but they were only £2 [Big Grin]

As I do creative things with kids, with myself and in laying out interesting 'worship spaces' I maintain I will use them....

I'm sure I will... at least I think I will... hope I will.... well maybe... possibly....or not

But they were only £2!!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had the puppy, Tatze, for eight weeks now. So all decluttering halted completely.

She is growing up now, house trained and in a routine, so I will start again.

Today ...... yes, TODAY!!

[Angel]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We have had the puppy, Tatze, for eight weeks now. So all decluttering halted completely.

[Angel]

She's beautiful!

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Angel]

She's beautiful!

[Axe murder]

Absolutely.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Forgot to say, congratulations Golden Key.

Thanks! [Smile]

{{{{{{{{All declutterers, on the Ship and elsewhere}}}}}}}}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

My study/office/ black hole (never actually work in it just everywhere else) has a floor!! [Eek!]

Whilst aware of the ontological need for something to be holding things there, I have been agnostic at least about its existence for so long, this is a powerful revelation!

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

Have spent the evening decluttering my desk / office and have space around my to work in for the first time in months! Chucked a lot of crap out. Am aware that there is probably quite a lot more that should be thrown out but it's all filed "under the surface" as it were, and at least I've got rid of the obvious clutter.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving day is fast approaching and I have managed to de-clutter some stuff, other things not so well, but it is better than it was! While tidying I found a pillowcase with a map of Europe on it, on the map East and West Germany (among other things are still on it.) As it's a pillowcase as well I feel I can justify keeping it! That said I have got rid about 8 black bags worth of stuff so that is positive I guess!

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

We have accepted an offer for the house!

Let the decluttering commence!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a lot of self-bullying, I finished decluttering the craft room. Another two bin bags of Stuff I Am Never Going To Finish.

I was slightly mortified to find, when I came to vacuum the newly-revealed floor that what I thought was the dulling of the carpet through fading turned out to be a layer of dust...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

On Thursday I had to put on a display of work by the Knitting & Crochet Group of our U3A. To get at the poster card for labelling I had to empty a load of art'n'craft stuff out of a cupboard in the half-cellar/cat room/sewing room. Where it will sit until the poster card gets put away again.
We were out visiting friends on Friday, and shopping on Saturday, so nothing from Thursday has been put away - it went into the dining room, where I have been putting 'stuff' that is being sorted from the hall cupboard.

Late on Saturday afternoon Elder Son 'phoned to ask if we'd like him to visit, with the family, for the day on Sunday. [Eek!]
That meant an emergency evening visit to Supermarket for suitable foodstuffs, and then a scramble to make the dining room accommodate seven people sitting at table for meals.

Some stuff is now in tottery piles on top of the sideboard, some in the spare bedroom (which I'd almost cleared of Younger-Son's-wedding-related stuff from the end of June) and more stuff has been dumped in the half-cellar/etc. There it will stay until I can get a round toit. Which won't be this week, looking at the diary.
Still, it was a nice visit, and I sent Elder Son home with a small pile of his old books, toiletries he'd left here when getting ready for that wedding, (and a bag of runner beans;)

And although everywhere else is a tip, I do have a tidy hall cupboard with one completeely empty shelf!

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I was slightly mortified to find, when I came to vacuum the newly-revealed floor that what I thought was the dulling of the carpet through fading turned out to be a layer of dust...

Well...At least you don't think you might need a new carpet anymore!
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Today i start de-cluttering my "stuff" from my parents loft! I'm thinking there might be one or two things worth selling on eBay. I've never used eBay so would therefore be grateful if anyone has any advice as I'm clueless. Thanks.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't help with ebay advice, but Flatmate and I did manage to empty a large box last night that has been looming in the corner of the living room since we moved in last year. And Flatmate organised the shoe storage before I got home, then we re-ordered the hats/gloves/scarves. This all feels very good.

Now I need to deal with the mountain of clean laundry that needs putting away in my bedroom.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday was the first of what should be a series of regularly-scheduled visits from the cleaning fairies (magical beings who make your house clean when you aren't looking), who did the master bedroom, bathrooms, kitchen, and entry/stairway/landing. I'm absurdly happy happy happy! [Yipee]

Prepping for the visit made us declutter the various spaces. We got rid of a good bit of rubbish (not-quite junk mail, etc.) that had accumulated, and put a bunch of not-rubbish away.

Now I need to attack the disaster that is my work-room, which to a realtor would be the dining room. Over the last few months a lot of things have just been chucked in there to deal with "later". I think "later" has arrived.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
First off, get rid of everything you can before packing/moving. Firstly, obvious trash. Then you have amnesty from donating or recycling or mending/repurposing/selling or whatever reason you were saving stuff for. The priority is to get rid of it. You cannot organise clutter/a hoard, you can only get rid of it.

Get rid of everything that will not fit into the new place.

Pack up everything that is essential for the new place that does not need to be in use between now and the move.

Set aside/make a list of stuff that you will be using up to the move.

That could be a method to start with.

I think I wrote this for myself. [Big Grin]

I suggested to Mr T that he buy packing materials and make a start on the books while I am away. But he seemed a bit hesitant. I can't do anything myself until I get back in September.

So I am making a plan in my head. September and October are very busy months and we are away a lot so I think I need to get started with the packing asap.

Even if this sale falls through at least some progress will have been made for the next one.

The house is pretty much decluttered, tidy and organised already so that won't be too hard.

I'm not sure I will have time to sort out the boxes/suitcases of family memorabilia that used to live on top of the wardrobes. They will probably just have to be transported as they are to the new place where they will form a pile of clutter that sucks the life out of me just thinking about it.

We are going to move in two stages, a rental first then take our time looking for something to buy. So I plan to leave a lot of little used stuff unpacked when we make the first move.

I think I will start making lists of things to do. What Flylady calls a Control Journal for the move.

I want to use Evernote for this master plan and sub plans. But I need to work out how to share the notes with Mr T and train him how to use it. [Ultra confused]

Maybe I will just print the notes out periodically for him.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my daughter was tiny and we were moving for the umpteenth time in a few months I started packing by boxing up things I didn't use so much and putting the boxes back in the cupboards where that china or winter clothes or whatever lived there normally. So when I had to load the car/van on the day, for a quite a bit of it I just had to open cupboard doors and pull out the box.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thyme:
quote:
I suggested to Mr T that he buy packing materials and make a start on the books while I am away. But he seemed a bit hesitant.
YMMV, but in my experience it's better to leave books until the last possible moment; they are easy to pack and take up far less space on the bookshelves than they do in boxes. If it was me I'd try and get him to pack some of the non-essential kitchen things - now they ARE fiddly to pack.

Besides, if you pack them several months in advance I guarantee you will discover a burning desire to reread a multi-volume saga that has been packed in four different boxes, all on the bottom of the stack... [Help]

I actually came here looking for sympathy - we are redecorating Daughter's bedroom next week, but before we do that there is a huge tidying and sorting job. She is a hoarder and when she was 3 I rashly promised never to throw any of her toys away without consulting her first. Seven years later we can hardly see the carpet in her room...

[ 22. August 2013, 08:14: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
She is a hoarder and when she was 3 I rashly promised never to throw any of her toys away without consulting her first. Seven years later we can hardly see the carpet in her room...

Oh, bad move, bad move [Biased]

We used to hide unused toys and take them to charity a couple of years later. If they were not missed in two years they were not missed at all.

Now every scrap of they boys stuff has gone as they have their own homes.

It feels odd [Frown]

So I have filled the place with doggy stuff [Big Grin]

I bought Tatze a teddy today - it's as big as her!

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
If it was me I'd try and get him to pack some of the non-essential kitchen things - now they ARE fiddly to pack.
(snip)
I guarantee you will discover a burning desire to reread a multi-volume saga that has been packed in four different boxes, all on the bottom of the stack... [Help]

Ooooeeeeerrr, I don't fancy letting him loose on the kitchen stuff, it's mine, all mine, my preccioussss..... [Paranoid]

You might be right about the books [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016