homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The previous one has ended up in Limbo, and at least a couple of us were looking for it so if it's OK with the hosts...

Me, I'm continuing my quest to escape a well-known university and find a rewarding niche.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3547 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trade ya! Though I wouldn't call mine a rewarding niche, and we darkly suspect there are Dilbert spies among us.

The Pointy-Haired One decided to taunt me today after he hauled me into HR and successfully bamboozled the PTB into thinking he was the injured party. So today I got a version of "neener neener."

I'm trying to file one application a day (unrealistic? probably) in the hopes that someone out there will want me. I've also got to go visit the career center at the local college in the hopes that someone there can tell me what I'm fit for (stop snickering). I've got gifts and knowledge in writing, in crosscultural work, in languages, and in medicine, but that doesn't suggest a unifying picture. Except missionary, which I do already and am not paid for.

We NEEDZ ZE DOLLARS.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thesis submitted, viva in January. Since submitting, I've had several requests to do voluntary interesting stuff. A couple of these have come with the comment "this will look good on your CV."

Nobody has offered to pay me to do paid interesting stuff.

The University has recommended LinkedIn, but though I've put up a profile, and am adding contacts, I'm not very clear how this will get me a job.

Posts: 6362 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LinkedIn sends you job adverts - not brilliantly well targeted in my experience, but that's probably my fault for not using it properly. You probably need a certain amount of front to use it to its best. e.g. I was asked to put an online testimonial/reference for a previous colleague when he was job hunting, which seems to have worked.

In theory, you'll make good professional links that will help you find a new job. I think it probably worked better when it was really a professionals networking system rather than yet another overused online system. More usefully there are groups you can join if you're looking at specific areas - for example discussion groups on Functional Skills.

I was also told to join Twitter - which did mean I found other places to look.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13552 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't found LinkedIn any use at all. Periodically I get an email saying "Ariel, Company X is looking for candidates just like you" which they clearly aren't as the jobs are mostly ones I don't have the experience to go for. Also, they won't want a middle-aged employee when they can get an ambitious young one.

I'm not sure about the linking thing, either. I've done it, but people don't necessarily endorse you back. It seems to be more a version of Facebook where the most that happens is you look at someone's CV, go "Oh, I didn't know they'd worked there/could do that" and then move on.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I started in LinkedIn several people from church, all in the oil industry, connected to me (is that the right terminology?) This resulted in me getting adverts for engineering jobs.

I wised up and now only "link" to people who are vaguely in my area. However, my law degree means that I'm getting adverts for legal posts, in addition to the engineering ones.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, if you PM me your email address (which, incidentally has something else pending too), I will send you something I have that might help with LinkedIn. No promises, but...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3547 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LinkedIn can be slightly useful for finding out things but I get fed up with their 'friend' requests from unknown reps.
I only use my work email with them and yet they have managed to send stuff to my personal email address. They even have a professional product that reputedly hacks into your email account.

Their job adverts are funny - I am an architectural technician, so I get adverts for any job that is a technician - in aircraft, washing machines, engines….

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1160 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My best wishes to all seeking work in this new year.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thank you for the bump, Wodders.

I have an agency bod on my case already this year - though as I haven't got a job through a recruitment agency this century (despite being registered with more than you can shake a faecally contaminated stick at) I don't plan to stop plugging away myself.

Still, however, waiting for the clouds to unfold and a big gold envelope marked "Clue inside!" to descend...

AG

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm procrastinating from doing a proper job hunt.

I'm still on a temporary contract after 8 months and although I did put the application in for permanent employment, my interview got postponed with no new date set, which unhelpfully means no pay for the Christmas holidays. I know, realistically, that my current task of preparing a student for integration into school effectively works me out of a job in six weeks time.

--------------------

Posts: 13552 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bloody hell, CK, that's a real sword of Damocles! I wish I could offer useful advice.

I'm doing my best not to procrastinate, and not doing hugely well - mostly, I think, because every time thus far its been such a shitty experience. This time I'm also thinking that if we don't buy a place to live sometime very, very soon the market will go roaring off ahead of us, and it's rent until death, which helpeth not, so there's pressure there on the salary front too.

I slogged my backside off to get the job I'm in now, and as it turns out I've never worked anywhere that's been so united in thinking that the boss is a twat - even when I worked for a genuine bona-fide bully! In terms of what I want from a job it answers three things.

1. It's not the dole.

2. I get paid (and the pay could be much worse).

3. It's available until 2015, if my soul can take it that long, for which I should be more grateful than I am!

While 1 & 2 are important, in terms of job satisfaction that's not a great selection. I just feel that I'm trapped on a stuck record and it's harder each time to get back on when circumstance throws me off, but I don't have another record to try.

Here's hoping that the "Economic Recovery" brings some funding for Start-up companies round here!

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in a kind of procrastination mode at the moment. My present contract is due to expire at the end of March, and I understand that meetings are happening in mid-January that should give an idea of whether they can keep me on. It's dependent on the outcome of research grant applications, which can go either way, although my boss says she'll try very hard to keep me.

I know I should be looking elsewhere (or at least elsewhere within the University) but I really enjoy the job I'm in, the hours and conditions suit me, and I'd be hard-pressed to find another as good.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19618 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I had a chap from an agency very keen to interest me in a job yesterday. Unfortunately it turns out that it's a management post.

Not a snowballs. I'd rather eat my own anus.

Ho hum, at least someone is trying!

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

And another four-letter word moment. Job advertised, I tick all the boxes, but apparently the boss is a total twat.

Given that that's why my last two lab jobs have been so shite...

AG

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been out of work for six months now, over 400 job applications under my belt and not a sniff. I had to put the phone down on an agency the other day who asked me if I could learn to drive if I put some effort into it. The conversation had actually started with the words "I see you are partially sighted, which rather narrows down the field for you...".
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I have been out of work for six months now, over 400 job applications under my belt and not a sniff. I had to put the phone down on an agency the other day who asked me if I could learn to drive if I put some effort into it. The conversation had actually started with the words "I see you are partially sighted, which rather narrows down the field for you...".

You might be able to argue a convincing case for helping them to achieve their disability quotient. Believe in yourself!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ah well, life gets more complicated and I really need to put some effort into job hunting this weekend.

I'm no longer key working the student who is coming into school in a few weeks. We've been moved into a new team as of 13 January and we are managed by someone new, who is lovely. However, my so-called line manager, the one I rant about in Hell, was angling for that job. He didn't get it and has been a very busy little bee this week trying to lever a management role in the new organisation, which makes a huge change from the ½ day he worked the first week back and the whole day and 3 x ½ days he worked last week.

He sent a delightful e-mail earlier this week stitching us up like kippers - detailing his new role team leading and taking a lead on teaching and learning. He who has never trained as a teacher, taught or attended any of the teaching and learning training at work. I have taught for years and worked as a SENCo, have the training, both in this role and elsewhere. He also insisted that we all pass all paperwork to him for "quality control"*, otherwise known as giving him all the resources so that he can take credit for work he hasn't done.

Sadly for him, I got to the meeting first this afternoon, so he is now key working the student coming into school shortly, and I am not, for good and genuine reasons. I have also asked to be considered for another role within the school base and told the new manager that I have done this because I'm not prepared to continue being managed by this guy.

And he's now seriously pissed off with me because I emailed my paperwork for today after the meeting and very politely pointed out he'd cocked up, again. He missed that I was telling him he'd got it wrong, and told me I shouldn't interfere and he had it all in hand, so I had to point it out again, more bluntly. Job hunting is really, really urgent.

* hilarious concept - he can't spell or write grammatically. I rewrite anything he sends me as I'm not putting my name to something that illiterate - and I don't reckon I'm that wonderful at putting words together.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

LinkedIn have suggested three jobs they think might be of interest - Lecturer in Engineering, Senior Exploration Geologist and Assistant Solicitor in London. [Ultra confused]
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Started a new job yesterdat. Four offices down the hall from my previous job.
Posts: 923 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Caissa, and health to enjoy it!

--------------------

Posts: 19618 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Form completed and emailed.

It's in the hands of God now.

Help.

Posts: 1769 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huge job fair tomorrow - over 150 school districts will be there. Will the mouse find his first teaching job (I'm certifying in June after a whirlwind 1-year study program designed for career-changers)? I certainly won't come home with a letter of intent tomorrow, but it's a very important day. Prayers appreciated, for finding the right district, for passing my cert boards, and for my underarm deodorant to not fail until after the fair.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63123 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lighting you a candle Mousethief. Hoping you get more than one offer so you get at least some choice. [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10124 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Thinking of you mousethief

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Good luck, mousethief, fingers crossed for you!

In other news... wondering when to poke the agency who were desperately keen to put me forward for a job that would involve a 25% pay cut (just when we have finally plucked up the courage to househunt again...), to find out that the company decided I was far too over qualified. I realise I'm pre-judging here, but it's happened so, so, many times I've long since stopped bothering to apply for that sort of thing.

Speaking of which, may the Radiocarbon lab here boil in their own Carbon 14 for advertising a job I'd love... two pay bands below where I am now!

Gibber gibber gibber gibber. I'd moan that we should all be hunter-gatherers, except my appendix would have killed me at 15 and my partner would have been eaten by a predator she never saw... Gods, I so bloody loathe job hunting, I'd have to really hate someone to want to inflict it on them.

AG

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God bless, Mousethief!

A zillion apps sent out and nary a nibble. Except the guy who told me to copyedit when he meant "proofread only", and took the resulting changes to be errors. Gah.

Venturing back into teacherland, and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up (ha).

--------------------

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Mousthief.
I hope the right job comes your way soon, Sandemaniac.
Lamb Chopped, I avoid that question by choosing not to grow up.
My new job is keeping me hopping and happy. I wish you all the same success soon.

Posts: 923 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for restarting and bumping this thread - I'd been looking for the old one.

I've got some hopeful and positive things to report, after having not had the greatest of years last year.

Positive thing 1.
I was on a ship I've sailed on lots as a volunteer, on a voyage sailing from New Zealand across the Southern Ocean, around Cape Horn and to Ushuaia (which was the thing that kept me going last year, looking forward to that), and the MCA mandated that they had a member of crew as a Rating with particular certs that I happen to have for the next trip, down to the Antarctic - so I not only got to go to the Antarctic, but I got paid for it too.

Positive Thing 2.
The company who run that ship and another Sail Training vessel are going to eventually have to employ more Ratings of the same as I sailed as on the Antarctic trip, and they want me to be one of them. They're stlll working out details and things though - and they're procrastinating as much as they can and have said don't turn down definite work in the meantime.

Positive Thing 3.
A Dutch ship offered me a job about the same time as I first heard about the above (while I was at sea, rolling across the Southern Ocean). I played for time a bit and they gave it to someone else.

Positive Thing 4.
The day after I got back into the UK after the Antarctic trip, I had an offer of a deckhand job on a different sailing ship . Unfortunately they wanted me to join on the Monday, and I'd only landed back at Heathrow on the Friday and was shattered after 5 1/2 months on board, and the Antarctic trip was pretty knackering for the last month of that, so I asked if I could join later than that, because I wouldn't've been in a fit state to join a new ship then. They needed someone then though, so they found someone else.

Positive Thing 5.
I had an offer while I was away of this season on a sailing vessel that does cargo and sail-training that is unusual and interesting because she doesn't have an engine at all. Unfortunately by the time I got that email it was too late, and I emailed them back when I came back to the UK explaining I'd been at sea, and saying I assumed they'd've filled their spaces by now. They offered me Bosun for their winter season, but their crew are all volunteers. I can't afford to do that. I told them this, and he said they are trying to move to paying their crew, and would keep my CV on file.

Very Positive and Hopeful thing 6.
The second ship, the Dutch one , that contacted me while I was away emailed me again - apparently a Bosun/Deck Rating position has arisen for the season (April-end of October), and they asked if I'd like it. They're flying me out there this weekend to meet them, see and sail on a short voyage on the ship. It looks like I may possibly actually get a job, if all goes well...
(and the worst that happens is that I have a free weekend's sailing on a ship I've never been on, which is still good)

Positive Thing 7.
I'd sent off a rather half-assed covering email and CV to a couple of USA ships on Sunday, assuming they'd never even read it because I made clear I'm not a US national, although I'd be willing to jump through the hoops to get the paperwork it's apparently really hard to do. One of them emailed me back saying I sounded like exactly the sort of person they'd like on their crew, and asking if we could set up a phone interview. I said I'd got this thing over the weekend and am pretty much committed to them if it comes off, but that I'd still love to speak to her, as we could talk about next season or even winter maintenance. The money for this last one wasn't very good though - $500 a month doesn't cover a great deal, no matter how pretty the boat is, but contacts are good, and I'm interested in that ship's work & approach...

So after much hopelessness before I flew out to New Zealand in November, there appear to be at least encouraging things occurring...

Fingers crossed that all goes well this weekend, and that I end up with a Bosun job there this season.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3680 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Mousethief!

Over the next month I'm trying to get into job hunting mode. I quit my last job last May and have been basically recovering. I hope that I can find another job which is not too horrible. I'm a bit dubious since I hear complaints about age discrimination from others in Software who are twenty years younger than me.

Once more into the breach!

Posts: 2980 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
I have a job!
Soon to start as Bosun on a Dutch sailing ship for the season.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3680 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Luvanddaisies - that sounds great! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Okay, freaking out here (when am I not?). Just got offered a part time job after undergoing an after-service job interview I didn't realize WAS a job interview (clueless much? um yeah). It's a guy from our Asian community who has a finger in about fifty entrepreneurial pots (slight exaggeration, not much) who is working with maybe a dozen others like him, none of whom can find their organizational butts with both hands. So he's wanting someone to come in and organize the hell out of them, and him. And help him write a book too, maybe. He figures my education and missionary background will make me a good fit for the position, which requires herding cats. He's probably right.

Trouble is, I'm scared. I just spent seven years under a boss who did his best to make me feel about two inches tall, God knows why. I've got major confidence issues, and would have them even if I had a job flipping burgers at the local McDonalds. I went to lunch with the guy and can already feel the cover-your-butt, appease-the-scary-boss attitude trying to crawl over my face.

I don't want to be that person. I've spent years downplaying my education and intelligence because I've worked for too damn many people who can't cope with that in a woman, and we've always had a shitty job market in this town, which I'm geographically bound to. But now that I have what looks like a chance to be treated as an adult, I'm scared I won't be able to break that habit now and act like the competent, respect-worthy human being I am.

Have any of you people spent a long time working for assholes? And if so, how do you get over the bad self-defensive habits you picked up when you were there?

I'm scared.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was lucky that, by the time I found myself in the position of being systematically devalued and marginalised, I had a fairly well-established sense of my talents and abilities. Which were not, I admit, those suited to the role I was being pushed into. They were much better. (Fuck being able to run a Windows server - I could write poetry a Nobel Laureate applauded).

Get back to what you know you can do/have done.

Posts: 17249 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Have any of you people spent a long time working for assholes? And if so, how do you get over the bad self-defensive habits you picked up when you were there?

I'm scared.

After two positions totalling nearly 15 years in which I worked for abusive shits, I moved on to another job in which I was treated reasonably well. Even though I was well qualified, and knew intellectually that it was okay to make mistakes, I still ended up crying in the bathroom when I screwed up or didn't know something I felt I should have.

I found it really helpful to recognize the aftereffects of the abuse, and be very, very gentle with myself for still being wary or distrustful of respect or kindness. I had to challenge myself not to continue the abuse by beating myself up; a hard thing to do when one's confidence has been systematically undermined.

Recognize that you've learned a lot, grown in wisdom and empathy, and do. not. have. to. take. any. shit. When I realized that the expectations in my new position were unrealistic, I spoke up. When things didn't change, I left (I found out later I was eventually replaced by a department [Roll Eyes] ).

I love my current job, but there's a good chance it will disappear due to budget cuts, so I've started sending out resumes. I have an interview on Friday, and I'm coaching myself to treat the process as a mutual interview; my brains and work ethic and experience are worth something, and I expect that to be recognized and appreciated.

[ 07. April 2014, 01:01: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1123 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

It sounds to me like what they need is basically a cat herder/air traffic controller, which is what I've been doing in missions for years. You just don't get any more disorganized than that, especially with Vietnamese Standard Time thrown into the mix. So hopefully this will be playing to my strengths. I'll find out more when I go down there on Tuesday and see the place and meet people.

Replaced by a department! [Killing me]

I hear dark rumors that my entire old unit is now nonexistent (the last person having sensibly retired as soon as I was gone) and the Pointy-Haired One is now foisting off his remaining unit as a substitute on the rest of the company--people who are not trained in that particular line and who cost more, thus fucking up the budgets of every other production department down there. PHO is also advertising for a fulltime person to add to that unit, with the duties of the entire destroyed unit added as a minor bullet point in the job description. [Devil] Good luck on that, then.

Ah, Schadenfreude...

[ 07. April 2014, 01:59: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... He figures my education and missionary background will make me a good fit for the position, which requires herding cats ...

I think maybe his point is that you can herd cats better than he can.

So, get in there, and prove him right - that you're the best cat-herd in the business. [Big Grin]

Sorry - cross-post.

[ 07. April 2014, 02:05: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC - I'm retired now, but while I was still at work I needed to keep reminding myself that I wasn't a complete waste of space. I had a big notebook, and on the page at the back I kept a list of anything nice anyone had ever said about me. For instance, someone once used the phrase 'tact and tenacity' in my review, and I had that written down in BIG LETTERS!

Also useful mantras (mantrae?) such as 'Anybody can make a mistake, the important thing is to learn from it and CARRY ON'.

It sounds very small and useless, but believe me it was a great help when I thought things were a bit iffy. YMMV of course, and I'm sure you are a much better catherd than you think you are, but anything specific that you can hold on to is worth having to hand.

Go for it, LC, we're all rooting for you

Mrs. S, evangelist of encouragement [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1381 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dusts CV off, meets with volunteer coaching person (with a solid track record). Here we go again.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

thank you folks. I'm still SKEERED... [Big Grin] Also just found a job opening for an English as a second language teacher with new immigrant kids. That would be lovely in terms of easing my way back into teaching (our immigrants are not known for bringing guns to school, etc.) and I've been working with immigrant families for 25 years, so... on the flipside, the bloody application is TWENTY SCREENS LONG and wants information on everything down to the kind of underwear I have on. Oh for the good old days when you dropped a resume by and that was it!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... the bloody application ... wants information on everything down to the kind of underwear I have on ...

Are you sure it's English as a Second Language they want you to teach? [Devil] [Eek!]

Go for it anyway - it might be more rewarding than herding those cats. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well, i HAVE been studying bellydance....

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kind of trapped in a job that was supposed to be a temporary expedient--the idea was it would allow me to escape from Idaho back to Oregon, where I could find something more suitable. I only meant to stay in it for a year or two... but then the recession, and two years turned into six. And when there began to be jobs for psychologists again, and I started to apply for them, I discovered (much to my surprise) that I'm old. An interviewer said, "I'm probably not legally allowed to ask this question..." then asked it anyway--it had to do with the fact that I could (in some alternate reality where I had managed things better) retire in five years. Until that moment, it had not occurred to me that this could be an issue (I've since scrubbed my resume of anything that could give away my age). I tried to make it clear that I was prepared to be there for the long haul (the interviewer was no spring chicken himself), but got a polite brush-off. The same organization subsequently hired two psychologists from my workplace for essentially the same job I had interviewed for, both of whom are in their 20s and with less than two years post-doctoral experience.

Any thoughts on how to deal with age discrimination?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6105 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Had a brief phone interview today with someone from the federal government (!) and discovered, much to my shame, that I have gotten so used to the idea that I'll never land a job that I had not even thought to save the job description. I think and hope I did well in the conversation (we'll see if I get to stage two) but [Hot and Hormonal] . Clearly depression is affecting me worse than I thought. After panicky googling I managed to find it, so I can do proper prep if I do get to stage two.

Is anyone else having trouble just getting out of bed? This isn't procrastination, it's too bad for that name.

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having graduated both high school and university just in time for serious recessions, I've been through longish periods of unemployment and underemployment. People often spout the phrase that when you're unemployed, job-hunting is your full-time job. I can't imagine a less rewarding "job": frustration, isolation, rejection, no benefits and NO TIME OFF; night and day, I could think of very little except combing job ads and eking out my dwindling funds. When Meggy runs the world, job-seekers will get periodic paid vacations during which time they will be permitted to wallop the next person who asks what they do for a living. [brick wall]

Under the circumstances, exhaustion sounds perfectly normal to me.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1123 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

6 weeks ago I was interviewed for My Dream Job, but didn't get it. The interviewer gave me great feedback and also named the successful candidate. I looked her up on LinkedIn and could see why she got the job. So I was disappointed, but no hard feelings.

Basically, it's a project, funded by public money. I think I was a better fit for the job itself, but the other candidate was a better fit for the conditions that came with the funding. The interviewer said that it was a hard decision whether to choose me with my "depth of knowledge" or the other candidate who had "breadth of experience."

Since then I have been asked to do various bits and pieces that were part of the job description, but I'm doing them as a volunteer. I've enjoyed doing these things, but my husband feels that I'm being taken for a complete mug. He says that I should make the point that they had the opportunity to employ me, and that they've missed their chance.

But I am enjoying it, and I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Thoughts?

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

In the circumstances, I think you have to suck it up and use the opportunity to get the experience - especially as that's what the person who got the job seems to have had. It's all very well to "leave a message" but if you do as you say you may well end up cutting your nose off to spite your face. I fear I've done it often enough myself...

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

BTW, is anyone else struggling to get into LinkedIn today?

AG

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've just tried and got in, but there are a couple of very random names in the "people you might know" bit.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I seem to be able to get in, but if I try to read the message I got overnight, or reply to anything recent, Firefox kills it as it says it is being redirected in a way that will never complete. Very odd!

Someone from Oxford (the next building, if it's who I think it is) has looked at my profile this morning, so maybe it's just me?

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016