homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news CK. Sandemaniac, at least you have a clear idea about options now. I hope something suitable turns up pronto.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I!

Meanwhile, Total Jobs has been excelling itself. For some reason it has taken to emailing me jobs as shop managers (and how pants the pay can be has been a revelation).

Today.... not only did it email me a job running an Argos, but it had a closing date of August 7th!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is from 2008, so salaries are probably roughly the same.

In case anyone wants to consider new avenues. Best and worst paid jobs in Britain

Edited for code.

[ 03. September 2015, 22:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers, cockerels etc welcomed - interview at 3.45 GMT+1 today. In a few minutes, the wireless switch on the computer goes off!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck for later Sandemaniac. As a good vegetarian I don't do cockerels, but I'll think of a suitable substitute.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes Sandemaniac.

I am still with the same job, sort of, part of it and not tied into it for the full academic year. The big problem is no handovers have happened over the summer and unless I handover to someone, none of the kids who are half way through qualifications will get them. There are all sorts of other problems that aren't resolved and need resolving too.

I am not best pleased, but I really don't want to walk away failing a group of students.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best, Sandemaniac!

LinkedIn's latest three "Jobs you may be interested in" are: a G.P., a welder, and a DVSA vehicle examiner.

WTAF?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do the people (or the computer) at Linked In actually look at your qualifications?

Best of luck, Sandemaniac - sock it to 'em! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps you could be a GP, a welder and a DVSA examiner at one and the same time!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's an idea: GP to mend the people who get broken when the vehicle has a prang, welder to mend the vehicle, and DVSA tester to make sure the welding's been done properly ...

Multi-tasking, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks everyone - I didn't clam up like a ... well, clam, so hopefully all went well.

Scary moment afterwards - I met the lab and they all seemed really nice people, got on well, went out for the occasional pub lunch, went for a beer after work...

They were normal! I haven't worked anywhere like that for years...

CK, that is veritably Dysonesque in its level of sucksness.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good to hear it, Sandemaniac!

I'm lucky that the lab people in our department are that kind of normal too - we go out for the occasional boozy lunch, any excuse is good enough for a party and when my boss introduced me to them (before I'd even started my job) they asked me to join their lottery syndicate.

Not that we've done much in the way of winning, you understand ... [Disappointed]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconding Piglet's good wishes. I hope all turns out well for you..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Buggeringfucktwats.

At least they told me quickly. And I was on a buzz from getting the house keys when I read the email, so haven't needed to lock up the sharp implements yet.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Bollocks. Sorry it didn't work out, Sandemaniac.

[Frown]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet has said it well. Bollocks.

[ 08. September 2015, 03:07: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been on the Ship for a while and a lot has been going on in my life. I left my (boring) NHS job earlier this year, which I had been doing too long, and went to train as a (train) conductor. That was great initially and I qualified back in June. Alas, I couldn't pass a 'ride-out' assessment despite several attempts, and am now out of a job. Please pray as I am one disappointed person.
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a more positive note, I got engaged, whil;e in the northern Lake District, a few weeks ago!

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Sandemaniac and Alaric.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It seems they had someone with more directly relevant experience.

Maybe Kind Hearts and Coronets really is the way to go?

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just remember - if you go down that route, DON'T WRITE YOUR MEMOIRS. [Devil]

AtG - congratulations on your engagement, and commiserations that the change of career didn't work out. Best of luck finding something suitable.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that Sandemaniac and Alaric the Goth.

I am investigating doing a 4 week intensive Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL, related to TEFL) in the hope that this will lead to a source of flexible employment (and quickly pay for the course)

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

How the feck do I demonstrate manual dexterity in a covering letter?

AG

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hand write it in an unusual flourishing font and then fold it up into an intricate piece of origami before sending it?

[ 10. September 2015, 10:34: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

A much better solution than the very boring one I thought of [Big Grin] - if only!

AG

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made it to the escape hatch! It's been a ride - good moments, but mostly crappy. Can't wait to finish up.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Made it to the escape hatch! It's been a ride - good moments, but mostly crappy. Can't wait to finish up.

Do you have something else to go to or are you looking or learning to breath again and look around. Hope you find something suitable somewhere suitable.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, thanks, Lothlorien. I'm far too unadventurous to quit without somewhere else to go. But I do have a few weeks off in between, which is very nice.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Commiserations Sandemaniac and Alaric the Goth.

(Apparently there are problems with dragging me back, with my heels dragging, not least head office kicking up about funding it. [brick wall] I'm still trying to unscramble things that were left unresolved at the end of last year, not least the exams officer who waltzed off with a student's work without entering it for the June deadlines, for example. I now have the work ...)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sorry AtG that new career didn't pan out - hope something else comes along very shortly.
Curiousity Killed - that sounds dire, and even more reasons for you to be trying to get out. The kids you work with have enough going on without crap admin mucking things up for them.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Mostly keeping it on the front page, but just passing comment that buying a house when your job is at risk is not a move guaranteed to lower your stress levels.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's all very well and good suggesting that you can investigate whether the department could give me a bigger payout so that that I could go elsewhere and retrain earlier, but it doesn't solve the fundamental problem that I still don't know what the living fuck else I can do.

AG

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/retail-buying-and-merchandising/324077-which-graduate-retail-employer-pays-the-most

Nature of your first degree doesn't matter for these and they pay well quite quickly. As an organiser with attention to detail, you'd have transferable skills.

(That £42000 + audi is what you get entering the 18 week traing course to be an Aldi area manager. )

[ 22. September 2015, 15:05: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

They say they want a 2:1 in any subject, but having a masters would probably trump a 2:2 I think.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...perhaps I should have said "what do I actually want to do?"?

I appreciate the thought, but I just can't get excited about retailing.

AG

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

If you need money, and you don't want to drop income whilst retraining, your options are limited - working in retail doesn't mean you have to stay doing it forever though.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently not everyone can "do" sales - I once took a test which showed that I should never go into sales. I think it's to do with closing a sale, which I know I'd be hopeless at. I'm not sure I'd be very good at a checkout in a supermarket either, based on my experience of the 2 days each year I did in stores while working for a huge day retailer - I have great respect for the patience these people have to display, and the speed at which they scan.

This afternoon I have an interview for a training course leading to Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) - it' s a 1 month intensive course, hopefully enabling me to work flexibly and generate an income.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, they've upped the bribe to leave if I bugger off by the end of October, but if they think I'm going to go willingly without another job to go to they've got another think coming. Effectively a year's salary tax free is all very well, but it's been a long, long time since it's taken me less than a year to find a job.

AG

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's rotten, Sandemaniac - something similar happened to D. when his previous job went pear-shaped, and it was very pressurising to feel that there was a race against the clock to find something else.

[Votive]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

[Votive] sandemaniac
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, LinkedIn has suggested two jobs I might be interested in - Hydraulics Design Engineer and - wait for it - Volunteer Charity Shop Assistant.

Do companies pay LinkedIn to advertise jobs? Do oil companies know that adverts for hydraulic design engineers are being sent to people with history degrees and whose engineering experience is a Girl Guide badge in Make-Do-And-Mend?

[Disappointed]

On the positive side, my book chapter proposal has been accepted, so although it's not paid work, it is something to get my teeth into. The (volunteer) history walk leading season ended on Saturday, I enjoyed that. I'm organising a day conference which is challenging (and unpaid!) but good experience. One of these days....

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, I'm getting similar suggestions from Glassdoor in particular (Why does anyone recommend this? It's shite!). The most recent has been a commis chef! WTF?

Meanwhile, the desperate drudge goes on. Who would want to stay somewhere that will pay for you to leave but not to stay, but it's the biggest employer for miles, and the best payer...

AG

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Sympathies, Sandemaniac. It is rubbish.

I haven't heard of Glassdoor, but given how crap LinkedIn is, I'm not interested in more of the same.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's a job site rather than a networking one, but it's just a PITA, constant emails of jobs you've seen before, and if you make the mistake of clicking on one to try to work out why on earth it's sent you it, you get more of the same.

One of its more pointless tricks is sending you lists of jobs you've recently looked at...

Total Jobs ain't much better, though Indeed seems OKish.

AG

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Has anyone here tried the Skills Health Check on the National Careers Service's Career tools site?
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Not here, but I guess I can give it a go and see.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Apparently I did three years ago. PM me your email (or remind me what it is!) and I'll send a copy so you can see what sort of bumf it generates.

Looking at it now, I seem to recall that I found it far too general to tell me anything I didn't already know.

AG

[ 30. September 2015, 09:27: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and another interview, Wednesday 7th October. Let's see how this one goes.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Once again, all the best, Sandemaniac. [Votive]

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Sandemaniac.

(LinkedIN has taken to suggesting I might be interested Finance Director posts. Given that I am not an accountant and have never worked in finance (nor do I have any interest or expertise in doing so) I have no clue why they are quite so insistent on this.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016