homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact I'm feeling bloody awful about it, the relief of the last few weeks and the desire to run has been replaced by foreboding. Add to that a cold that has left me quite badly spaced out, and you've got a recipe for feeling shite.

Ah well, I s'pose it will affect my interview performance and help me get the desired result. I don't think I've ever gone into an interview before knowing that I didn't want the job anymore - come out a few, yes - and I'm struggling to deal with it. Deliberately underperforming is just against all my principles.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear you're feeling so rubbish, S. Hope your diplomatic skills will leave the interview panel realising what they're going to be missing!

I used to wonder why interviewers quite often asked "if you were offered the job, would you take it?" - there was always a temptation to say, "no; I enjoy getting dolled up to the nines and putting myself through all this stress". With hindsight though, any interview, even for a job you don't want (or are unlikely to get) is Good Experience™.

And [Votive] that your cold goes away v. soon.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of at least one occasion when the my honest answer would have been "No" to that question.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do tell, Jengie!

Well, it was a disaster. Halfway through the subject moved on to Home Office licences and willingness to work with animals. Given that the whole reason I applied was that the job description didn't mention it, ergo I assumed that the job would not involve it. This was not so. Even better, they'd previously advertised with a description that did include it, which I hadn't applied for as a result!

So it was a total waste of everyone's time, the other four candidates will have to be really shite for me to get an offer.

In the meantime I have been to see the solicitor and signed my birthright away for a mess of pottage (the equivalent of a year's take-home pay, tax free), and about two and a half times statutory redundancy.

I now of course need to find something else, and the quicker I do so the more of the payout I can put into the house, but it's all in my hands now and I feel so much better for that.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basically, it was one of those occasions where they asked me how I would do something which I was not happy doing professionally. It was a type of analysis that was inappropriate in the circumstances. I had no room to say it was inappropriate and just felt that if that was indicative of what they were expecting me to do I did not want to be there.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, surely the job description should have outlined exactly was involved. Time to move onwards and upwards. Glad you've got an OK deal out of them.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well you would think that, but it appears to be an alien concept in academia.

AG

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

just to let you know that I went to the interview on Tuesday and the people were lovely, the job would be v good and the focus on professional dev was incredibly appealing.

However, I don't stand a change - they said during the interview the process is v selective and they are picky about who they choose.
I think it was their way of letting me know (gently) that I am not the right candidate but should not be too disappointed.

I will get some useful feedback but quite sad that it did not work out.
I should get the official outcome next week.

Thank you for your support and good luck to those with options coming up!

Lia

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lia: However, I don't stand a change - they said during the interview the process is v selective and they are picky about who they choose.
Isn't this where you say "that's very good because I'm just what you need"?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps if you have a normal level of confidence [Biased]

I am actually competent and quite confident while in professional role but tend to get v insecure in interviews - I never feel I deserve a better job than the one I have!

Maybe mental health charities should run a new campaign under the slogan: Employ depressives and they will be grateful to you, no matter how you treat them, because they always think they deserve even worse!

Lia

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

After nearly seventeen years I am about to walk out the door and down the pub.

Goodbye academia. I'll miss you. Like a hole in the head.

AG

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't get too pissed Sandemaniac! Hope this is the start of a whole new life.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You and me both!

AG

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It feels a bit weird congratulating you Sandemaniac, but I think I do - it's good to be out of a toxic environment, and I really hope that something better turns up soon for you.

My form went in last week, and acknowledgement has been received so I know they have it. It's been a long time that I've been this anxious to know if I have an interview or not. Talking with colleagues (who are right behind me and encouraged me to apply) we are erring on the side of it not being an attractive position to too many people, so I wouldn't be competing against many people, but then it occurred to me that if I was the only applicant then they might have to advertise it externally (it was only advertised internally thus far). Argh, please put me out of my misery soon [Help]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What JtL said, Sandemaniac - here's to a better job and a happier future! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

I used to wonder why interviewers quite often asked "if you were offered the job, would you take it?"

When I worked in a small developing country, many of our candidates were interviewed by phone for obvious reasons. I was at a university, as Head of School, and academic jobs were scarce, so we got applications from many other countries, some of whom looked good on paper. But past experience suggested that many would not to come to this country - most staff from overseas either left after one year (because they or their spouse) missed the comforts of "home" or they stayed at least 6 years (because they enjoyed the island lifestyle).

So the question "would you come here?" was critical, but we were not allowed to ask it explicitly, as local candidates would be insulted. Instead , we asked a question or two designed to see if they had any knowledge at all about our place (as distinct from the several dozen others they had often applied to). Even knowing what anyone could gather from the internet was a positive sign! In-depth knowledge or family connections were even more positive indicators.

But even within one country, many people are very reluctant to move residence for family reasons, and are therefore reluctant to take an offer, as this thread has revealed several times.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Indeed, Tukai - if I were single and renting I'd happily go wherever (I did once, which is how I got here, in fact), but once you start accruing things like spouses and houses...

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'm beginning to think that people who fraudulently claim benefits actually deserve a medal for getting through the system in the first place.

Having gone down the job centre, I was told I needed to claim by phone (as I'll only be claiming NI contributions). Three phone calls and 45 minutes later, I'm told I need to go down the job centre...

FFS.

AG

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Have you filled in the forms on-line. That was the was my son was encouraged to do it. You then get an email with an appointment at the Job Centre.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

No, because they advised me to do it by phone.... having gone down to the centre itself because the web site said nothing about claiming to cover your NI... etc etc etc

AG

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, when TME was unemployed a few years ago we both found the benefits system so very frustrating and humiliating - despite several (undergraduate and postgraduate) degrees between us, and only wanting something very basic we couldn't get beyond the basics and always felt like their working assumption (with everyone, not just us) was that we were trying to fleece them. A pox on all their houses. I did have similar thoughts to you about people living on loads of benefits - how the hell did they do it?! They're obviously much cleverer than us!

I heard today that I do have an interview for the job mentioned upthread, in a couple of weeks. So any prayers, good vibes and crossed extremities much appreciated!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news for you re interview. All the best for it. A couple of weeks? That puts it very close to Christmas.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
looks like a lot has been going on while I've been ashore studying. Congrats, best wishes and happy interviewing to everyone.

After four really intense, gruelling weeks I am now officially a teacher of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL), but first I need to learn some grammar (of course) and iron out the Americanisms in my own language ( [Confused] ). I am also officially looking for some part time, temp admin work to tide me over until teaching takes off because this morning I signed up with 3 local temp agencies.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on getting your TEFL certificate!

I still haven't decided when and where to do mine. I need to decide before the end of the month so I can start 2016 in a more positive frame of mind professionally speaking.

On another tack, yesterday I attended a seminar on running an e-business. They reduced the price of their proper training course but I didn't take up the offer, even though it sounded like a very good opportunity. I'm wondering if I should have done.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Good news for you re interview. All the best for it. A couple of weeks? That puts it very close to Christmas.

Yes, just a week before. Which (if I'm successful) may delay things a few weeks, as one of my referees works at a university where staff have to take Christmas and New Year weeks off whether they want to or not, and they only take up references for the successful candidate once they've made the decision after interview. Ah well - at least I can stop flapping about whether or not I've been shortlisted, now to start preparing my presentation and thinking about potential curveball questions that may come my way!

daisydaisy, good luck and I hope that you find teaching work soon. I was a TEFL teacher for a few months many years ago, and I found this book invaluable for grammar help (my sister, who was a TEFL teacher for a couple of years not long after me, borrowed it and that was the last I saw of it - she really liked it too).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Daisydaisy, and good luck to you and JtL! [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Indeed - well done and good luck all round!

AG

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Congratulations on getting your TEFL certificate!

I still haven't decided when and where to do mine. I need to decide before the end of the month so I can start 2016 in a more positive frame of mind professionally speaking

I did a TESOL course because it opens up opportunities in the UK (for example, ESOL is offered to refugees and asylum seekers) as well as the overseas teaching opportunities that TEFL covers. The Trinity course that I did had more teaching practice than the Cambridge one that I looked at. Whichever you choose to do, if it's full time then expect exactly that - even the teachers and linguists on the course were working until 1:30 or 2 every morning (which as a non-teacher, non-linguist I found encouraging because I was too), and wave good bye to weekends too. If you haven't been taught grammar before (I had only done very basic Latin and French grammar) then you really need to do a course before you start - there are several free online ones. The course is very hard work (2 people dropped out in week 2, and I was very tempted at the end of week 3 and only just passed - 1 other failed) but at the end of it you get a really useful qualification.... or at least, I hope it will be!
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
[QUOTE]
daisydaisy, good luck and I hope that you find teaching work soon. I was a TEFL teacher for a few months many years ago, and I found this book invaluable for grammar help (my sister, who was a TEFL teacher for a couple of years not long after me, borrowed it and that was the last I saw of it - she really liked it too).

I wish you the best interview ever, and a calm Christmas/New Year while you wait to hear.

Yes, Practial English Usage is very useful, and formed part of my research each time I taught grammar (rather than function) - I'll never know why I ever thought I could teach something that I don't know, but at my interview for the course I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem [Eek!] So now I'll be doing an online grammar course so that I have a chance of being a step ahead of my students!

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

My students just got used to me telling them "just take my word for it today that this is correct - I'll tell you next time *why* it's correct". They couldn't believe that we are not taught English grammar - having spent hours of their childhoods having to learn grammar themselves (this was in Romania, over 20 years ago). I would go home after lessons, read up in Swan and learn something myself!

I think we all knew I wasn't that great a teacher, but they were so thrilled to have a native speaker teaching them that they forgave me most things! [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, progress of a sort. Telephone interview the day after tomorrow at 9am, with a local biotech company. Presumably this will be a first part of the process, how far I'll get I don't know as it's quite a junior role that I'd really be wanting for experience more than anything else, but it's a start. Haven't had a real interview outside of the u********y since at least 2012.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As ever, best of luck Sandemaniac. [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

sandemaniac - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning, hope it goes well.

I have just applied for a contract/freelance job using my old skills, not my new TESOL ones. I think it is a far safer way to go, if they'll have me. It's fairly local (rare in my line which tends to be in the smoke, or further) and my CV matches the job description without any tweaks at all.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, good luck Sandy.

I have just started a support thread for starting a new job - lets hope you will join me there soon!

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You and me both!

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and 'phone interview out of the way. Seemed to go OK, who knows really, but should hear whether I've got in for a face-to-face interview by "early next week". Next week could be quite busy as I've got the meeting with the CEO of a local biotech as well, high hopes of that one as he's asked me to come over. We shall see...

AG

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

And I didn't get the job I interviewed for in Coventry 2 weeks ago and which I really wanted.

It was expected but I still hoped I would be surprised, so finding really hard to absorb yet another failure.

Sitting at my desk and struggling not to cry...but of course I will be back on an even keel soon.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear that Lia - better luck next time.

Sandemaniac - glad to hear it went well, and the idea of them contacting you sounds promising.

[Votive]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

What a bugger, Lia. It doesn't get easier, does it?

It's not quite like that piglet - I phoned him first, and he said "Oh hello, Sandemaniac,come over and talk about it! - but that still sounds pretty positive to me.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just keep holding on to those positive thoughts! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Woo! Struggling to revise for interview, but have just been offered a visit and an informal chat with someone in a local biotech, just from dropping HR an emails saying "Why can't I get an interview?".

Scrofulous arse buboes!

After all that, they still won't give me an interview. I am nearing the point of saying "Fuck 'em!".

Tuesday had better come up trumps, or I can see another long hard slog ahead...

AG

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

Thank you guys!
Feeling better now and S., keeping everything crossed for you on Tuesday.

L

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

No news on the job front, but my redundancy cheque has arrived, and it's a biggie!

AG, feeling rich
(lucky Rich!)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I hope the cheque gives you the breathing space you need to re-group after your redundancy and be abel to wait until the ideal job appears - which it will.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, the meeting went well - the place is just about to expand quite a lot, which would be good for me, and he knows me well enough to state that unless Einstein applies I'll almost certainly get an interview. Being available immediately, and only just up the road (it's about 10 minutes on the bicycle, possibly slightly more if I choose not to race a dumper truck as I did today) must be in my favour too.As I was getting ready to go, the company I had a 'phone interview with the other week called as well - offering a face to face one on Friday. Nice to be a man in demand!

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent news Sandemaniac - long may you be in demand! [Yipee]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

So long as it translates to "Here's a job!" demand!

AG

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

That does sound promising, Sandemaniac, I really hope something comes from one of those leads.

My interview is on Friday, and I am psyching myself up now. Reading between the lines having spoken with some of the people who have been involved with the job (including some who will be on the interview panel) I think I may have been the only person who's actually contacted them for more information and informal chat in order to prepare, so I'm starting to feel like it's mine to lose. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to overthink it all. I will hopefully have finished my presentation tonight (ready to print handouts out tomorrow - I've been specifically told not to use powerpoint, which is fine, but if I'm the only one who leaves them something to jog their memories about me then that can't do any harm), and then will hopefully have a bit of time on Thursday (assuming I can get the Elf Lass to have a good long nap) to practice the presentation and fully plan answers to likely questions.

Luckily the interview is in the morning, I have the rest of the day off then my office Christmas meal in the early evening, so whatever happens I can relax afterwards and not have to worry about going back to work for a few days.

Argh though! [Help] :knock-knees:

I was chatting about the interview with colleagues today, and they pointed out something I hadn't thought of before, which is that looking at the requirements for the job, most people who had that amount of experience of presenting/education will probably be a higher grade than me, and so this job would represent a demotion for them (it's on the same grade I'm currently on, but I got that experience when I worked in the university) - so hopefully that will have whittled away some of the competition.

Oh blimey I really am overthinking!!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The good news is that husband's job interview by Skype for a job he would really like when we return to the UK next year seemed to go pretty well.
The rather less good news is the organisation might be relocating in 2017 to somewhere too far from our home base in the UK for commuting to be realistic. Moving home again less than a year after returning to the UK would be very hard on our kids and very unwise for their education.

Husband should hear next week whether he will be offered the job. If he is offered it, does he take it, knowing he might have to pull out if the possible move happens? Or does he turn it down and then end up kicking himself if in the end they don't move? Aargh!

Oh well, if he doesn't get the job I guess we are spared the agony of decision!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016