homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say he takes it. Surely the company knows that moving a significant distance would lose them some of their staff and hence would mean they'd need a significant recruitment drive in 2017? Plus, I think jobhunting is an arena where one has to behave decently but ultimately look out for one's own self-interest above anything else - i.e. if they ask him whether he'd move with them in 2017, say that might be difficult; but if they offer the job with no tie-in to move with them then go for it - the company will be thinking of their overall goals not your husband's welfare when considering whether to take him on. (As I hope those close to me would attest, I think there are many things in the world more important than one's own self-interest and my general ethos is not a dog-eat-dog, look-after-number-1 one - but I do think that's the approach needed in jobhunting - you need to do what's right for you.) In terms of getting a new job if the company does relocate, surely having worked at that company won't decrease his chances of finding other employment - employer relocating a significant distance away is a perfectly reasonable reason to be looking for a new job relatively soon after returning to the UK and taking up that job. Just my tuppence worth anyway.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus there is the benefit of having an au to date UK firm on a CV - that has to =be worth something, surely?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in the take it camp too. The move might not happen or not within the time frame they are currently suggesting.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed - the place I visited yesterday started life twenty miles to the north of me, fully intended to move twenty miles to the south, and has ended up bang in the middle two miles away!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inclined to agree too - apart from anything else, it's always easier to get a job when you're in one, so even if you ended up looking for something else if they re-located, you'd have the advantage of being In Employment.

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we've decided that he will say yes if offered it and then we will see what happens!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wise choice Lucia.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Lucia - think you have made the right decision (assuming he gets the job!).

I am just back from my interview. I think nerves might have got the better of me [Frown] I'm not sure when I'll hear from them (posting out letters on the last posting day before Christmas doesn't bode that well for finding out quickly! I forgot that some employers still use snail mail - I got phoned the same day when I got the university job). I do at least know that they are doing all the interviews today, so should make a decision later today.

Anyway. Christmas can start now [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you hear soon JtL. I didn't think anyone mailed you anymore. I've always either heard on the day (the dreaded all sitting around being polite while waiting for one of you to be called in again) or had a phone call either later the same day or the next morning.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that surprised me too. But then the NHS is a bit rickety still [Smile]

I am trying not to think about it - as I am overthinking again and wondering if they talked about snail mail as they knew even there and then they didn't want me so wouldn't be calling back today. I'm not going to hold my breath, but am going to get on with Christmas and see what happens. I'm actually knackered (didn't sleep brilliantly last night) so too tired to get too worked up about it. I'm just thinking of my 2 more days at work before a week and a bit off for Christmas, when I can recharge my batteries and think about where to go from here. And maybe they'll surprise me and offer me the job, but I just don't know.

For now it's time to chill out [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope they'll see through the nerves and realise what an excellent person they'll get if they take you on. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the departments in the building I used to work in would send you your rejection letter by post. Everything else by email, but the FOAD letter by post. And didn't understand why I found it offensive. Frankly, there are sizeable chunks of that place that could do with catching up with the 19th century, never mind the twenty-first.

Well, I have to say that I don't think today's interview went well, though with a bit of luck I've priced myself out of it anyway. The pay band started well below what I was for washing glassware some years ago! Now, if the chap I spoke to on Tuesday would just get back to me... that one would suit me perfectly in so many ways!

Oh, and I had a "making up my quota" email from an agency today. Asking for my latest CV when I've only been registered with them a week is a bit of a giveaway.

Harrumph!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah the "making up my quota" contact - I had one of those from an agency when I was right next to their door so popped in, finely dressed in allotment clothes. They just wanted to check nothing had changed in the last 2 weeks, and to tell me things are slow around Christmas. Well, what a surprise.

Has anyone here been a Mystery Shopper? I'm wondering about registering while I wait.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a shopper and life has always been a complete mystery - do I qualify?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... Has anyone here been a Mystery Shopper?

You can be paid for shopping? [Yipee]

* assuming there's some remuneration, either in cash or kind.

eta: That would be almost as good as being paid to write reviews of restaurants ... [Big Grin]

[ 19. December 2015, 20:44: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Thanks everyone. With the benefit of a couple of days distance, I am assuming I haven't got the job (even though they didn't say anything about phoning on the day, I still kind of assume they would phone the successful candidate), but am feeling better about that than I thought I would. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath, and with the break over Christmas I'll start thinking about other options.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I have been on higher committees, we normally check references before offering a position. Depending on the availability of the references, this could take several days.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and see one of my many blarts upthread for details about time taken to provide references!

Still waiting to hear from Oxford Genetics about whether they want me - or Evotec for that matter, but the OG job would suit me much better. Come on, get it in before Christmas, you know I'm available!

AG

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still waiting to hear whether Husband will be offered the job. They said he would know before Christmas...
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Dilemma over.. he didn't get offered the job. But it was all good practice filling in an application and having an interview. In reality it's probably a bit early for serious job hunting as we are not back in the UK until next summer.
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Sandemaniac, in Canada a perspective employee provides a list of 3-5 individuals who have agreed to be references. The employer calls the references and speaks with them. Letters of reference are almost dead in Canada.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

An offer! An offer! Of course, it's from the place twenty miles away and the one on the doorstep hasn't got back to me yet....

Still, whatever happens, I will be starting a new career in the new year. Thank fuck!

AG

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Sandemaniac!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
An offer! An offer! Of course, it's from the place twenty miles away and the one on the doorstep hasn't got back to me yet....

Still, whatever happens, I will be starting a new career in the new year. Thank fuck!

AG

Well done!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really pleased for you Sandemaniac

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! for Sandemaniac. I hope the job works out really well for you. May you enjoy Christmas that bit more than may have been anticipated.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Eek!] YES [Yipee]

Have a wonderful Christmas - now you have something to look forward to in the New Year!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations from here, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Excellent news Sandemaniac! Congratulations!
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AG

[Yipee] Fantastic news.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Brilliant Sandemaniac - now you can really celebrate Christmas.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Best news imaginable, Sandemaniac! Now that you've got an offer, what's the betting that the closer place will offer you one as well?

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fabulous news Sandemaniac - well done!
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Hooray hooray hooray! [Yipee] Excellent news Sandemaniac!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! Yipee! Yeehaw!

Fingers crossed that it's everything you hope for!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

And I have just this minute posted the paperwork, and confirmed via email, so hopefully I will start on January 4th. Failing that, as soon as possible afterwards - but before my next signing on date, whatever.

I spent a very enjoyable few minutes earlier unsubscribing from lots of email job alerts, especially the crock of shite that is Glassdoor.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Sandemaniac - hope it works out really well for you. [Smile]

--------------------

crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AG

Congratulations!
Will you be moving or commuting?

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news , Sandemaniac. Science can be very specialised, which can make it hard to keep doing what you are best at and enjoy. I hope this new place comes up trumps on both those measures.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thank, Tukai!

Crunt - I'll be commuting, as we only live a mile from the Knotweed's workplace.

AG

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, and glad you've got something.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Best of luck for tomorrow, Sandemaniac! [Smile]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Hope today goes well Sandemaniac.

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say I will also be starting a new job on Monday.

It still feels very unreal and I am even questioning why I decided to leave in the first place.. it no longer feels like such a sensible decision!

I will really miss my colleagues and clients but I know there is no turning back and am trying to stay positive for the future, even though the job I am moving to is not what I really wanted.

Best of luck Sandemanic - let me know what it feels like to start in a new place after a long time in the previous job. I will need all the advise I can get, as I have been in this role for 5 yeas and moving on feels really scary!

Lia

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] Lia [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Best of luck Lia! [Votive]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Lia and Sandemaniac - I hope your first day went well, and that today is too.

[ 05. January 2016, 12:03: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandy
I have only just seen your news. Congratulations from the both of us - I hope the first week went well, and that you settle in quickly.
Happy new year to you and Knotweed.
[Smile]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks everyone - it's been a slow first week as I haven't been able to do anything until I've had the 'elf and safety induction, and the H&S man didn't get back until Thursday... and I wasn't in on Friday! So hopefully it'll happen tomorrow and I can get going! The signs look good, though.

geroff - cameras?

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016