homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've had 2 interviews in the last 6 months, since I decided my second 'job' had become a joke, since they changed the supervising team, and the new people didn't think it was a priority to find me work.
I fully get the depression thing. Some days I just don't feel like doing anything, getting dressed included.
My most recent interview, it was that 'more perfectly experienced candidate applied' scenario. He sounded genuinely disappointed he couldn't give me the job, and is keeping me on file. However, the job, although a perfect fit, was graveyard shift and I'm starting to feel its undesirability was the only reason I got as far as I did. So here I am, mid 30's, feeling completely useless and unwanted.
The second 'job' has suggested they'll have work for me next month. Only instead of 9 to 5, I'll need to work 11 to 7 (so goodbye to evening commitments). And who knows how long that'll last. I'm fed up with trying to survive on 15 hours a week. I'm sick and tired of needing my father's help and free board (in exchange for getting some much needed painting done around the place), I'm tired of having no discretionary income.
I don't like the horrible feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I received my latest rejection email today.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alban and NEQ, orry to ehar about your rejections - the 'you would have been the best candidate but..' is really annoying.

It looks like I'll be job-hunting by proxy for my dyslexic son in a few weeks as his latest contract comes to an end soon. Do you recommend Linkedin? My husband signed up to it and it sent invitation emails to every-one in his address book which was a total pain. I was wondering if it would help my son find work - he's looking for work in a lab.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drop me a PM Gussie and let me know what sort of lab - I doubt I'll find him something but I am all too experienced in looking for science jobs, so might be able to come up with some advice.

Alban - I wish i could do more than [Votive]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ambivalent about LinkedIn. My first mistake was to accept contacts from people at church, many of whom have engineering type oil industry jobs. I have just completed a PhD in History, but LinkedIn thinks I might be interested in pipeline technology type jobs.

I have now added lots of people in history / archive areas as contacts, but I guess there just aren't as many jobs in that area, because I'm still getting informed about well-head drilling posts.

My second mistake was to add my Scots Law degree and the fact that I'm a qualified Scots solicitor to my details. So now, amongst the ocean-bed survey jobs, I'm also getting informed about solicitor jobs. In England. Despite having no English legal qualifications whatsoever.

So my experience of LinkedIn so far is that they have clunky algorithms which throw up unsuitable jobs. But perhaps they would throw up suitable jobs if any such job actually existed.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had another look at LinkedIn and they have a suggested contact described as person "similar to me." It's an attractive young woman wearing a sports vest who manages a leisure centre. In no way, shape or form is she similar to me, other than she's female and we both speak English as our first language. So no idea what made LinkedIn think she was "similar to me."

I can only imagine how horrified she'll be if it works the other way, and LinkedIn are suggesting to her - see this fat middle-aged historian? We think she's similar to you!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's any help, someone with an address that was something like dateyoungladies.co.uk looked at my profile a while back, and they were labelled as a second-degree connection - which is what really confused me, how the flip did that happen? Eventually LinkedIn did one of its "See how you are connected to..." screens, and I realised that they were connected via a consultant, and I suspect we'd had our CVs worked on by the same firm.

It's very handy for finding out about other people who are on it, but beyond that I'll reserve judgement until something happens!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Gussie - I'll have a think, and consult with SWMBO who'll know more about the subject, and get back to you.

AG

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the son--You CAN set up your account on LinkedIn without allowing it to raid your email/Facebook contacts (hatehateHATE). Just uncheck the relevant boxes during the process.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel like LinkedIn is a really useful medium in certain rare circumstances if you know how to work it but perhaps not otherwise. I have gotten small potatoes from it, but my sister (same field) has gotten multiple excellent contracts from people who contacted her over LinkedIn.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, you can refuse to allow LinkedIn to add your contacts on your e-mail. You have to keep on refusing, persistently and boringly, most times you sign in, but I really don't need my address book full of church contacts for that voluntary work as contacts on LinkedIn.

Gussie, I'll catch up with on dyslexia and employment issues when I see you on Monday.

[ 16. April 2014, 13:38: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think I'm going to bother with Linkedin, just don't know that I feel like social networking the job hunt.
At the risk of sounding like a nut, anyone had the feeling God wants growth in some area before he lets you get that right job?
Trying to deal with something in my life, and then get a phone interview for a job which sounds wonderful (basically googling stuff for people). Main computer out of action (failed OS upgrade, needing repair) so using old slow desktop. Worried about speed, when they asked me to hunt a phone number, go with the first result I find - checked after the call and it's not the main number for the business. It works, but still not a great answer. Crap.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**bump**

Just avoiding the Hostly Chopper™

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Likewise to piglet's post above.

AG

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple of years out of work + various failed attempts to get back = low spirits all round. But matters can't continue so back into the fray i go.

Found a company; they like me, i like them. All good

References? Now we'll find out if voluntary work really counts.

And please God, this time DearMrDr, will you write something sensible?

ThankyouVerymuchindeed

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Gussie, how has your son got on?

AG

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for asking Sandemaniac. The contract finished last Friday and at the moment I think my son is enjoying having a bit of a 'holiday' having only had one work day off in the last nine months.
He has applied for a few jobs, only the ones he thinks he would be genuinely interested in, rather than applying for anything he thought he might be able to do which was the case last year.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Oops sorry for the double post. Could some kind host remove the duplicate?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've put my application for permanent employment in again after temping for a year for the same place. I really, really would like pay all year - and then I'd work doing the other stuff I'm doing when I'm less busy ...

In other news, my daughter has an interview for a fully funded PhD next Friday.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Good luck CK and Curious Kitten.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the letter yesterday confirming the extension of my contract until 31st October (my boss had told me informally that it would come through, but it's nice to have A Piece Of Paper [Smile] ). She says she's going to fight hard to keep me on after that, which is great as I love my job.

Continued prayers and good wishes to those of you still looking.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After just four long gruelling years, i'm back to paid employment on Monday!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, EA, and all the best for your new job! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!!!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:

Wow, congratulations [Yipee] .

Huia does the happy dance

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Ethne Alba. Will be thinking of you, and hope it all goes well.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Congratulations EThne Alba, so glad you got the references etc sorted. Hope the job is all you want it to be.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations EA. [Smile]

A ten-month gap in my earlier career just about drove me insane. I can't fathom 4 years!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

((thank you thank you!))

and yes Pete, it took me to the edge

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When we moved to Canada I wasn't permitted to work for seven years while the PTB faffed about with our application for permanent residence.

The time-freedom/no responsibility thing was liveable-with, but the lack of money wasn't. Having worked full-time almost continually for the previous 20 years, I treated it as a sort of dress-rehearsal for retirement. [Big Grin]

When our residency finally came through I was lucky enough to find a part-time job which pays well, and leaves me enough free time that I can still do other things (in particular I didn't have to give up volunteering at the Cathedral office, which I've been doing since shortly after we moved here).

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:

Hope the first week went good.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Thank you for asking

It proved to be completely impossible for me to return to a full time (or even a part time) post, so i'm taking the well worn, day to day agency route back to paid employment.

Slowly slowly, but it's still crazy that i'm even paid to have fun! Play! Smile! Tell stories!
All good though
[Smile]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think... possibly... maybe... I might have just been offered a dream job.

the owner called, said he wants me to come in and help him plan what my position will be. It's management of an historic hotel, the poshest in town. not general management (oh god no!) but facilities and publicity. specifically focused on the historic landmark status and maintaining that, as well as marketing it as a destination rather than just a place to stay. EEP!

He's creating the position for me. Seasonal and I set my own hours, so I can work around the coaching.

I'm not sure this is real yet but I'M SO EXCITED!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I'm afraid I'm going to jinx it, but I have an interview tomorrow. The job's two time zones away, the pay's going to be awful, it's not exactly in my perfect area of interest (though it is in one I'd best know a thing or three about), and it's about 80 minutes by train south of Ariston's Idea of Paradise…so no, not perfect.

But a lot closer to it than where I am now.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sorry things didn't pan out with full time work for the moment Ethne Alba, but enjoy the day to day!
Ariston and Comet, good luck with getting exactly what you want out of the new job opportunities.
My son has an interview next week which is good, but as it's only for six months and would mean him moving in with his grandma and having to buy a car, its not ideal. A couple of other things might result in interviews, so he's feeling realtively up-beat.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'm filling in a job application form which wants to know all my school results. From 1980-1982. I've filled in a few of these now and I simply can't remember what I got, but I've been erring on the side of caution by filling in the minimum I think I got. I assume my subsequent two undergrad degrees, my Masters and my PhD make school subjects irrelevant anyway.

I've been stating that I got Bs in some subjects I think I got As in, and Cs in some I think were Bs, so that I'm not being inadvertently dishonest in a bad way.

Does it matter?

(I have two CSYS, 7 Highers and 11 O grades; a couple of the Highers were crash Highers, so 13 different school subjects in all.)

I'm starting to wonder if I should be downgrading my school results like this.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, God....I am trying to work my way off of Social Security, for those of you in the U.S. who understand this system. Social Security has a program, "Ticket To Work" that can aid one in the effort but my biggest problem is that I have so many gaps in my employment history! Not one gap, not two, but several. Whatever company hires me gets a big tax break and doesn't have to provide me with healthcare benefits for five-eight years, so that might be a big ol' bonus but the thought of interviewing and having to explain some of those gaps just terrifies me. Also, I hardly know if I'm qualified to do anything, anymore. My field was Graphic Design and Proofreading, not at the same time, usually. But my software skills have lapsed badly and I'm just feeling old and fossilized (I'm turning 48 next week). [Frown]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've got weird gaps as well, plus odd bits and pieces of work which aren't relevant to anything I might want to do now, but if I don't put them in I have even more gaps.

I've just submitted a crap online application for a job I think I'd be good at, for which I'm well qualified, and which I'd like, but the online form took hours as I filled in all the irrelevent stuff they asked for (list all school qualifications, list all previous employment etc.) I'm 50. I've done a lot of stuff over the years.

Meh.

Good luck, 5th Mary!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

North East Quine, some jobs do ask for full employment history, particularly jobs that require DBS / CRB checks, but I was told last 10 years of employment history for most jobs and on a standard CV.

For online application forms which require full employment history I fill in the last 10 years and attach a CV with full employment history.

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a pain when you are expected to remember everything. I did supply teaching for a while, then had a temporary contract, then back to supply with the same company. Because of the break in being employed by them I had to reapply, so I just sent in the original application, updated with the temp job details. Although the first time there had been no problems, this time they sent it back requested that I account for the gaps in the employment record. I was so tempted to just put "buggered if I can remember" about what I did over 20 years ago.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

There's a new education recommendation or requirement that means anyone working in education has to give full employment history. I would have to go and look it up again, but the details are on a lot of education application forms. It isn't the temp agency or organisation being difficult, it's really a safeguarding recommendation or requirement (I can't remember which) of the Department for Education.

I did it by finding an old CV and using that to fill in gaps, because I'd forgotten jobs from a few years back.

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I fully understood that. It was just that, as I pointed out, I could put anything down, as there was no way they could check back that far, given that a lot of the companies I worked for no longer exist.

--------------------
Less is more ...

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Well, I didn't get shortlisted for the job for which I submitted a crap application (surprise, surprise). I've heard on the grapevine that they had "dozens" of applications.

I had a interview on Monday for another job. The hours were, I thought, 11-4, and it was paid by the hour. However, it turned out that the hours are 11-1 and 2-4, with 1-2 being an unpaid lunch hour. Is this normal? They said I'd hear by mid-week. I haven't heard anything.

I then had another interview for a very part time job on Friday. I've been told that the interviewers have decided to split the job into two, and offer me half. Half of a part-time job is virtually nothing. Is this normal?

Ideally, I'd like a full-time job, but a part-time job would let me write up my PhD thesis for possible publication, so either would do. (I've been strongly encouraged to write up the thesis as a serious but non academic book, but no guarantees that it would actually be accepted for publication.)

I have plenty to do of the unpaid variety - two conference papers to write, website admin, I've been asked to guest blog for another University, academic committee to chair; how do I turn this busyness into paid busyness?

Is doing lots of relevent unpaid things good, or do people just assume you're happy to do stuff for nothing?

I'm feeling completely confused by the whole what-do-I-do-now thing.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it is usual for lunch breaks to be unpaid, in that as a full time employee I am expected to work 9-5 five days a week - but it is described as 37.5 hrs a week rather than forty hours a week as it incorporates an unpaid 30min unpaid lunch break per day.

[ 28. June 2014, 11:23: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I was partly surprised that there was a full hour-long lunch break between two two-hour shifts. A 30 min break would have seemed more reasonable; even just a 20 min coffee break.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently on maternity leave, and will be returning part-time to my (fixed-term contract) job in November. As my post is grant-funded and I have had a salary increment meantime it means that the amount of time left on the contract was reduced slightly, which means that I have work until the end of February next year. I've decided that a full-on academic post isn't actually for me, even though research is - I miss clinical practice, so am hoping to eventually get something that combines the two, although that might mean a couple of days health visiting and a day or so teaching until I can get something that combines the two somehow. Having spent the past several months with baby brain I'm a bit nervous about both returning and having to use my adult brain again, and about how to market myself for job hunting. I'm going to look into joining the local nurse bank, and have also seen an advert for hourly paid lecturers for a vaguely local place - I can't say I'm keen on 0 hours contracts, but it might actually be just what I need to get a bit of experience.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I had a interview on Monday for another job. The hours were, I thought, 11-4, and it was paid by the hour. However, it turned out that the hours are 11-1 and 2-4, with 1-2 being an unpaid lunch hour. Is this normal? ...

If Scottish labour law demands a paid break after a certain number of hours, that might be the reason.

All I see on a google search is a 20 minutes after every 6 hours worked.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To avoid forgetting things that I have done, I make sure that everything is listed on my CV.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack

What you need is to be employed by a teaching hospital, they are normally attached to Universities but they employ staff on the NHS. As they are providers of health care, the staff tend to be both researchers and practitioners.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Jack

What you need is to be employed by a teaching hospital, they are normally attached to Universities but they employ staff on the NHS. As they are providers of health care, the staff tend to be both researchers and practitioners.

Jengie

If my speciality was acute nursing then that would make sense (and if I lived somewhere other than Scotland), it's a bit more complicated that here both acute and community staff are employed by the Health Board, so you're not employed by the hospital (or health centre). Also as far as I can tell the research nurse job (which in theory would be ideal for me) is much more developed in the hospital setting, and in many places pretty unheard of in the community. I'm currently sounding out research nurse networks and clinical academic research leads to see what scope there may be - the problem is that most of the opportunities in clinical practice for practitioners to do research is at Masters level, but I've obviously already got that Tshirt. I did have a useful meeting a couple of weeks ago with someone in Glasgow, so am not completely devoid of hope, but I think I'm going to need to get quite creative.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Ho hum. Major family crisis seems to have passed, at least for now, so the other stuff is back on the plate.

I went back to the university careers service and, to my surprise, found that its new head was very forthcoming, shared his experiences (been through the mill, been unemployed, etc, rather than someone young who's just applied for the job when their post-doc finished), and who showed sensible ways of using LinkedIn to find information, and a job site that is actually relatively easy to use, plus advice on aiming a CV at a new type of job. I actually came away feeling quite positive about the whole thing which, frankly, is a first - my prior experiences with the careers service were largely negative, if that good.

Now, however, it's back to facing down the woolly mammoth in the room (bigger and hairier than an elephant, see?). It's all very well having a strategy for applying to jobs, but it's finding something I actually want to apply for, before I'm forced to.

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

AG

[ 30. July 2014, 11:35: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016