homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My current job is driving me up the wall......i am therefore joining the world of job hunting.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm - I'm currently a computer systems engineer - Windows, Servers, DNS, DHCP, AD, SCCM, AV, TCP/IP, SQL, ITIL, that sort of shite.

I've been on https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/ and done their assessments. I'm very strong on Mechanical and shape problems, strong on numbers and written information, quite strong on abstract, but a bit to a lot pants in working with people and coping with stress and pressure. I generally find what acquaintances in scientific research fields a lot more interesting than what I'm doing.

I'm 48 this year so retraining is questionable.

Thoughts are welcomed.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So my job looks like it's coming to an end at the end of this academic year. I'm looking at jobs all over the world at the moment, since I'm qualified to do all sort of things. Will see what happens, whether any of it comes true, would ideally like to find my way back into academia if possible...
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Exam™ has been taken. First two papers I feel quite confident about, third paper was bloody hard.

I now have to wait somewhere in the region of fifty-three years for the results.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glory be to God, I've got a job!!!!! It's technically freelance and part-time (so they don't have to pay benefits), but it pays several dollars more an hour than my late unlamented workplace, and the people seem nice. Also closer to home. This will help as I continue computer studies.

I'm a bit nervous as the agency warned me they have a really "stiff onboarding process," which I take to be code for "they'll vet you six ways from Sunday, and I hope you don't do drugs?" I'll have no problem peeing in a cup (provided I avoid the poppy seed buns) but wonder what to write in the "reason for leaving" last job. The true reason was "they were getting rid of the entire X unit," but they allowed my old supervisor a chance to get his rocks off being nasty to me once last time and he told me I was fired for incompetence. In precisely the field of my new job. It was of course complete and provable bullshit, but what the hell do I say if they check up with them/him?

I am told (sure, I believe that!) that my old place-of-employment never says more than confirming the dates and position held. I'm trying to believe that. Well, I'm hoping they didn't lie. Well...

Any advice?

To complicate matters: a) I am under a non-disclosure agreement concerning the shit that went down at that job, and don't know whether saying so will look bad to my new employer; and b) there was a documented OSHA incident with my old boss concerning his treatment of me, which is doubtless why he took such delight in skewering me.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations LC (I think!). [Smile]

Hope it all goes well and your new-job-ex-old-job nerves prove to be unjustified.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh, Piglet, there's a 12 month post with Orkney museums being advertised! Alas, they want someone with a degree in archaeology, rather than a degree in history.

But ....12 months in Orkney!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Hmmm - I'm currently a computer systems engineer - Windows, Servers, DNS, DHCP, AD, SCCM, AV, TCP/IP, SQL, ITIL, that sort of shite.

I've been on https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/ and done their assessments. I'm very strong on Mechanical and shape problems, strong on numbers and written information, quite strong on abstract, but a bit to a lot pants in working with people and coping with stress and pressure. I generally find what acquaintances in scientific research fields a lot more interesting than what I'm doing.

I'm 48 this year so retraining is questionable.

Thoughts are welcomed.

Do you do linux ? ARM are recruiting re game development ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Ooooh, Piglet, there's a 12 month post with Orkney museums being advertised! Alas, they want someone with a degree in archaeology ...

There is rather a lot of archaeology in Orkney ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's coming up to 6 weeks after my interview, and I've still not heard a thing. Clearly I didn't get the job (which I pretty much had guessed by the end of the interview), but I am pretty pissed off that they couldn't be arsed to acknowledge that I'd at least taken the time to give it a try (especially as they said that letters would be going out the following week). Luckily, although I'm still not exactly enamoured with my current job, I am feeling a bit better about it, so am feeling more like I can put up with it for a bit longer while I look for something else rather than feeling desperate to get out as soon as possible. So I suppose that's something.

I did think I'd found a perfect-for-me, part-time, home-based research job in the adult social care sector earlier today. But then I read the advert more closely, and found the dreaded words "demonstrable background in specifying and conducting statistical analyses". So that's back to the drawing board then. I'm happy to talk about my research skills and the things I know I can do well, but there's no way I can blag that I know anything useful about stats! I know my limits [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There's absolutely no excuse for them not to give you at least the courtesy of an e-mail to let you know they've filled the position, as you made the effort of attending an interview.

It's not as if it would even cost them anything - it's the height of bad manners.

[Mad]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How's the new job, Sandemaniac?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick question. I was supposed to be working tomorrow, but have had a phone call to say someone else is ill, and the whole thing has been cancelled. However, I'm still entitled to pay, because I've had less than 24 hours notice. I immediately replied that I didn't expect to be paid if I don't work, and that I wouldn't be claiming.

As soon as I put the phone down I realised that I don't know what's normal - would other people claim pay? Is the line manager thinking I'm unprofessional by not claiming?

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not where you are, but I think it can only impress them favorably. I mean, how many other people are they likely to run across who make decisions to their own hurt out of a sense of fairness?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thanks! She phoned at 11am, so 22 hours notice! I was taken-aback when she said I was still entitled to pay, because I'd had less than 24 hours notice.
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Claim your pay, would be my advice.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've said I wouldn't, so I won't. But if it happens again, I want to know what the most professional thing to do is.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly just a polite "Thank you."

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

In the future, I'd say "thank you," take the money,and use it for whatever worthy purpose (including feeding your pets! [Two face] ) you choose. That's because there's the slight chance you might discombobulate their accounting by refusing, or their policies people. (I have once or twice thrown a similar curve ball at my employers, to discover that it caused them difficulty because they had no plans in place for how to deal with such a response--and were no good at coming up with a creative answer. "But how will we make our books balance?" is the plaintive cry. Or "What will the auditor / inspector /whomever say?"

You should have seen the utter befuddlement when I attempted to give the exec director of one place complete freedom to discuss my personnel file with another employee (who happened to be my husband, and was being stonewalled about a joint issue).
I kept saying "I'll sign a legal consent form," and he just kept bleating that it couldn't be done.

(to be sure, that might have been because I was futzing up his politicking, but never mind)

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
How's the new job, Sandemaniac?

Sorry, not looked at this thread for a while!

Well, the pay packet was a nasty surprise (about a sixth down on the last job, on which our mortgage was based...), but apart from that it seems to be a really good bunch of people, and I am slowly finding my way. For someone who's spent years moaning that nothing ever got done in academia, working somewhere where getting it done is the be-all and end-all has been a surprisingly big culture shock! Still, whatever happens, I now have that vital industry experience on my CV.

Twilight Zone moment - I am now working with someone who worked two doors up the corridor in my very first lab job over twenty years ago...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Glad to hear that you are finding the work to be worthwhile and meaningful.
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved my last job. I worked on two education development projects that paid well, had great benefits and gave me a lot of autonomy in the field. My boss was in awe of me, my colleagues were a great bunch and the team I was responsible for couldn't stop singing my praises.

It lasted for four years, but after months and months of 'will they won't they?' the government finally made it clear that there would not be a third project (or rather made it clear by endless delays). So after we wrapped up last September, we have been waiting (without pay) until January to see if there would be another project. Even though there has been no official word, the silence has spoken volumes. Some of my colleagues did see the writing on the wall and started looking around for other work even before the 2014/2015 project was complete, but others - like me - hung on in the hope that something would come through, but it didn't.

Boo-hoo.

I spent a couple of months of unemployment here in Malaysia, holidaying with my bro and we took a trip to Myanmar (really wonderful, in case you were wondering), and then I went back to NZ. All the while hoping for news of a third project. It was quite stressful, but I managed to keep a lid on it, despite being constantly asked by friends and relatives if there was 'any news?'. I told my family they had better bloody well be grateful that I was handling my uncertain future without too much whining, but otherwise I didn't do much to find alternative employment.

I felt as though I was between a rock and a hard place. My house in Malaysia needed packing, but I didn't want to pack until I knew where I was going (like, another region or another country?), and my partner's uncertain visa status in Malaysia also added further complications to consider when it came to relocating. It has been pretty stressful, in fact.

I applied for three other jobs, two in Malaysia and one in China. The China one came through, but it is kind of dodgy - not exactly illegal, but not exactly kosher, either - and not really within my professional field. The only qualifications required are (a) be white and (b) be male, and if you can wear a suit and fit in at meetings you're good to go. Your only task is to be there so you make it look as though the client company is international in its scope and ethics. I was tempted (I confess), but when they asked me to delete my Linkedin account, I started to back away. I think it would be a fun job for six weeks, but that's about it, really.

So now I'm back in KL, with my partner, in a tiny flat in an upmarket part of KL and the money pot is getting smaller, not bigger. I had preliminary interviews with two other jobs via Skype while I was back in NZ and they are both in the tertiary sector, which is where I worked prior to my last job. My house is up country and I've had to spend an extra month's rent in order to keep all my stuff there.

I think I will be offered both positions. One is in Melaka (aka Malacca) and one is in KL. The Melaka job is the more prestigious one, it is associated with my alma mater and it pays better, but my heart is with the KL one. I've had a follow-up interview with Melaka (off the plane, into my work shirt, and on the bus to Melaka), and it went very well, so I'm hoping it will be a good plan B. The KL uni has recently been brought into an international consortium and is in the throes of a massive restructuring in the HR dept to bring it up to US standards, so even though the departmental coordinator and academic dean have given my application the green light, there is no one in HR to process my application with immigration.

Don't get me started on Malaysia's Immigration Ministry.

And then there's the Lunar New Year - and everything stops for another week.

As it stands, I think I will be employed before we get too far into March, but after five months of no salary, I'm starting to worry about money, and I'm getting annoyed that what could have been a month to sign a deal close up my old house and find another one near my new job, is now likely to be condensed into a week.

But for me, the real killer is that during five months of unemployment (holidays notwithstanding) I still didn't finish the book I started writing just as my last contract was ending. I'm lazy, lazy, lazy and completely useless without external structures and deadlines imposed upon me by someone else.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been here for about 18 or 19 years and have only just got permanent residency - I know what bureaucracy looks like!

Every good wish for a swift and successful conclusion.

[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
...But for me, the real killer is that during five months of unemployment (holidays notwithstanding) I still didn't finish the book I started writing just as my last contract was ending. I'm lazy, lazy, lazy and completely useless without external structures and deadlines imposed upon me by someone else.

Can we form a club for deadliners? I always was when working and now, in retirement and with nobody to impose deadlines upon me - well, you know the story. Years ago I started writing a trilogy - parts 1 & 2 were well received, in about 2003/4 - part 3 is still germinating!

[Roll Eyes]

[edited to remove a bit of trivia meant for another thread - WW.]

[ 09. February 2016, 08:53: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm keeping everything crossed for you, crunt, that the best job comes up for you and you're not too broke meantime!

I am filling in an application form for another job. This one is (probably) out of my league, and they will have hundreds of applicants, but I am pretty sure that my application will be good enough to at least survive the initial weeding out (judging by the folk on the organisation's facebook page who are expressing an interest despite minimal relevant experience). Whether it's good enough for shortlisting thereafter I don't know, but as they say, if you're not in it you won't win it.

I've done all the monotonous bits (personal details, qualifications, employment, equal opps), and have only got the personal statement to go. I wish I felt more comfortable about blowing my own trumpet! I always feel like such a fraud - even though I only say what's true, and I have got enough experience over the years that it is reasonably impressive, I still read it back and think that I sound like I'm making it all up.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be in the process shortly. I'm ditching my job and moving - lots of reasons. It hurts to chuck caution to the wind but on one hand I love it and on the other hand, I'm worn out. I'm much older than most of my colleagues and that's been really tough. The job has been good to me and kept me out of trouble and I know I've made a huge difference but time to march on.

The awkward thing is, because of a restructure, I've advised that I won't be around for the new role (which wouldn't suit me), with the hope that I can linger for about 6 months but naturally, bosses want to move faster. And to be fair, they have communicated this with me in what was termed "Open and Honest" conversation (always leaves me nervous).

I'm playing a weird waiting game to get a sense of time.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always thought you should work for the Post Office, Beenster. Must be the avatar speaking...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After several depressingly unsuccessful applications at the back end of last year, I've now got a job interview next week! Part of the job is research data management, about which I know very little but rather extensive reading this week tells me it should be lots of transferable skills from what I do just now. The real downside is that I have to do a ten minute presentation on it, so am now attempting to work out what I should say, and how I know if I have enough to fill ten minutes...

Even if I crash and burn over that, I feel quite boosted having got the interview!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Best of luck, SL! [Smile]

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Always thought you should work for the Post Office, Beenster. Must be the avatar speaking...

Ha - you never know! My last boyfriend had worked for the post office. A more miserable and bitter person I had ever met.
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
The real downside is that I have to do a ten minute presentation on it, so am now attempting to work out what I should say, and how I know if I have enough to fill ten minutes...

Even if I crash and burn over that, I feel quite boosted having got the interview!

Congratulations on the interview!

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago when my boss asked me to interview for a data management role within the company.
I know nothing about data! (Except that it is the plural of datum). I didn't do a PowerPoint presentation, which the interview panel seemed very relieved about, but I did get them to fill in a quick questionnaire which segued nicely into my stronger area of qualitative data, and perceptions being more important than facts (and safely away from my weak area of quantitative data and statistics).
I didn't get the job - they chose an actual expert - but I did get a lot of kudos for my effort.
I hope you get a lot of Kudos for your effort too, Scots Lass - Good Luck!

--------------------
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it took a couple dozen applications, going back to school and two interviews; but I finally managed to land a job at a good company with a relatively open career path ahead of me.

I gussied up the 'missionary' slot on my resume as time spent doing 'non-profit work aimed at fostering religious tolerance in the Middle East."

I'm actually quite liking the schooling, and I'm planning to go for the full associates in precision machining which, in combination with my business degree, ought to allow me to go pretty much anywhere I want to in this plant (just recognized by "Industry Week" as one of the top 10 plants in North America!).

Most of the people I meet have been here for over 25 years, so with any luck I won't be searching again for a while (or ever?).

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

Well done Irish Lord - here's to long-term employment!

--------------------
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
I gussied up the 'missionary' slot on my resume as time spent doing 'non-profit work aimed at fostering religious tolerance in the Middle East."

Well done IL! [Yipee]

/random tangent/ Mr S and I went with The Former Miss S to hear her banns read in their local church. Future SiL wasn't there - he was helping to lead a Scout Camp in Switzerland for the whole three weeks. Having heard witness from some of the church members about the mission work they were doing, Miss S turned to me and whispered 'If anyone asks why Alan isn't here, I'm going to tell them he's doing voluntary work overseas!' [Two face]

/tangent ends/

Mrs. S, snickering

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I decided at the turn of the year that my current job was making me too unwell and I could no longer continue with it. I applied for five jobs, still within the area and still within the same department and I've got one and I start a week on Thursday. [Yipee]

It's only six months detached duty in an area I've never worked for before and I know nothing about. This makes me very nervous as I have 15 years down in my old job and know it inside out. I'm hoping that they won't train me up into what's very complex work and then get rid of me in six months, instead I'm hoping that this is a long term sort of probationary period while they figure out if I'm the right person. So I have to be the right person.

The only thing is that all the applications have been on a competency basis and I used the same competencies in all of them because I was doing it over a short time frame (and I was on annual leave for more than a fortnight of that). What is odd is that on the feedback I've got, the person who offered me the job offered it to me on the basis of the competencies that other people marked me really low for. It's therefore really hard to work out what people are looking for if the six months doesn't lead to something permanent.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations and best of luck, Chive and Irish Lord! [Yipee]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sure would appreciate prayers about a professional opportunity that has hove up on the horizon for me.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] You've got 'em.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and from me [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I thought the interview went ok, but I didn't get the job [Frown] They have offered feedback, which I suppose I'll take them up on - at the moment I feel a bit like it will be "you were just a bit rubbish"so am not thrilled at the prospect. Am currently feeling rather despondent about ever getting another job, I've been trying for every decent opportunity that's come up in the last 4/5 years with no success. All in good time, i suppose...
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry Scots Lass, it's so hard not to take a rejection personally. Do ask for feedback, it could be useful for your next application. You might find that the person that got it just had more experience or something. Anyway, I pray you soon feel more peaceful about it [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'll echo what Doone said - sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but yes, absolutely take any feedback they offer - you never know when a snippet of information or advice might make all the difference at a future interview.

[Votive] for a better outcome next time, and Don't Give Up. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I failed to get a job I felt I deserved and steamed into the Assistant Director's office and he gave me the most brilliant feedback - next time I got the job no problem!

Feedback can be very valuable.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Somewhat unexpectedly, I don't need the feedback now... I was steeling myself to write the email asking for it this afternoon (the relevant person did say they were on leave this week, so not immediately asking was reasonable) but instead I got a phone call offering me the job! The first choice wasn't able to accept for various reasons and it appears that I was the second choice and they're keen for me to take the job. I haven't yet accepted it as I wanted to chat to my husband first, but I will be taking it! God does indeed work in mysterious ways...
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Hooray! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Research data management is an important (and growing) field. It was briefly covered in a research ethics book I recently read (a requirement in Japan to apply for research funding). I keep wondering whether I should take one of the development courses offered here on research data management.

Well done on getting a job in a field that should keep you occupied for as long as you want it.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, well done everyone! Looks as though 2016 is the year of good news - here's hoping that extends to everyone here!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I am pleased to report that I have found an agent willing to take me on! She is enthusiastic about these novels, and has expressed an intent to coin cartloads of money with them. I naturally agreed that this would be a very fine thing and we are off to the races.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh there is a lot of good news. Well done Scots Lass and Brenda Clough.
Sandemaniac - hope your new job continues to be interesting and that the cut in pay isn't having too much effect.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sarasa,

I haven't sold a kidney or put a red light bulb in the porch yet!

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016