homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the prayers. If ever there was a time I've felt prayed for, this was it.

I got a job offer yesterday and it was for a role that has potential to go places, if I can keep my nerve. I'm really excited about it.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes for your new job Clarence. [Yipee]

[Votive] for the interview Mousethief.

Zappa, good luck with the search.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant news, Clarence

Best wishes, mousethief, for the job interview on Monday.

(I found out, in passing, earlier this week / the end of last week that I have no guaranteed job in September. There was a general chat about the budget and I don't think I was supposed to have picked up quite so quickly that a proposed role has gone into the budget for approval, but is not so far agreed. "Kipper" "stitched" "like" "a" and "up" come to mind.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very happy for you Clarence.

Prayers for those still looking or with interviews coming up.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent news, Clarence! [Yipee]

Zappa and Mousethief - good luck!

I may need a spot of luck too; I submitted an on-line application today for the first time in my life. I really have no idea what chance I've got - it looks like the sort of job I did for 15 years when we were in Belfast - but whether they'll be suitably impressed by my weird and very ancient Scottish qualifications remains to be seen.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news Clarence, and good luck to all those searching.
Curiosity Killed, I hope you get something sorted for September pronto.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent news Clarence!
[Votive] for CK, MT and Zappa

[ 22. July 2016, 13:10: Message edited by: Doone ]

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found out this week that I've got not one but two interviews coming up for different jobs. I want to stay where I am but unfortunately there isn't going to be a position for me. Both jobs look interesting and I have the skills to be good at both of them.

But I've not had an interview since 2001 so I am a wee bit unsure about the whole thing. My current boss is going to go over things with me this week but I'm still very nervous. Part of the problem is that I've worn uniform for the last decade which is fine for one of the posts as it's in the same department but the other one is a non uniformed job. I don't own any smart interview clothes and I don't know what people wear in non uniformed roles. Is black trousers and a shirt okay? All my non uniform shoes are pink - is that likely to be a problem? [Ultra confused]

I know I'm using the clothes thing to deflect my anxiety but I'm not a clothes person so I really don't know what to do.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say that black trousers and a shirt of whatever colour takes your fancy would be about right. Have you got time/money to invest in a pair of black shoes or sandals (depending on the climate of where you live)?

Hope everything goes well. [Smile] [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Chive [Votive]
Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck to all searching and interviewing, especially to Chive - I quite like interviews, but not the dressing up part!

After much agonising, I have decided to leave my current job and go for the riskiest of the 3 job offers I had from the civil service. I know I am incredibly lucky (have also had to wait a long time for this good spell, so hope those who currently feel hopeless might feel encouraged).

However, I am moving from an IT role in the private sector to HR in the public sector and I am truly scared I might not manage the change. Prayers much appreciated and if you have any advice and / or work in this area, any PMs will be gratefully received. [Smile]

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Good luck Lia [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

What Doone said - be brave, and enjoy the challenge!

I'm rather the opposite about interviews - I quite enjoy deciding what I'm going to wear*, but the interview itself scares me witless!

* Having said that, I've just realised that my current default interview outfit (a black pinstripe trouser-suit) is in the wardrobe in St. John's and I'm in Fredericton. Oh well, I probably won't get asked for interview anyway ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you guys! Will let you know how it goes.
This thread has been a great source of support - just reading other people's stories made me feel less alone and dejected when I was job hunting.

PS I can't read my PMs at the moment due to browser weirdness, so apologies to anyone who might get in touch that way. Should be sorted soon.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feeling like a cat at the front door--can't decide which side of it I want to be on.

I've been in church-related work for most of my adult life, despite being a layperson. I left it three years ago after another mega-screw-up which made me think that I'd be better off with secular employers, because when they behaved like bastards I could at least fool myself that they didn't know any better. [Roll Eyes]

Working in the temple of Mammon, and feeling very out of place despite very nice people--but it's just weird to have "making money" as an ultimate corporate goal. I've been in human care too long.

Now someone's dangling a possible return to that in front of me--but it's back in the church, eek!

Nothing may come of it. My cynicism level is at an all time high when it comes to employment.

And yet...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About a month after interview, and we've been informed that senior management have decided to fund permanent posts for the team size we have. So I probably, hopefully, have a job.

Now a colleague and I have to wait to get that in writing. In August, with people on leave...

Good luck Lia, Piglet, LC, and anyone else hunting at the mo!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent news, CK! [Smile]

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I crashed and burned the first interview. It wasn't helped by the fact it was the same day and 500 miles from the funeral of one of my closest friends so I had to make the decision of which to attend. I guess I chose wrong.

Another interview in a fortnight and my confidence is a bit tanked. I need to kick my arse to get me going again.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chive

For future reference, ringing an interviewing company and saying it is the same day as a close friends funeral would you mind rearranging is a good strategy. The worst that can happen is that they say "no" when you then have to make the decision. If you decide to go ahead then they know how important the job is to you and they are forewarned that you will not be on top form if you do turn up. If you decide not to go ahead then if they do not find a candidate you should be able to reapply.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
Well I crashed and burned the first interview. It wasn't helped by the fact it was the same day and 500 miles from the funeral of one of my closest friends so I had to make the decision of which to attend. I guess I chose wrong.

Another interview in a fortnight and my confidence is a bit tanked. I need to kick my arse to get me going again.

(((chive)))

For what it's worth, I failed my doctoral orals--first student in 100 years, I'm sure--because my father died two weeks before, and I was far too blasted mentally to even consider that I could have asked for a rescheduling. Got there and didn't know how to answer "What is your name?"

Yours was a perfectly normal human reaction, and I'm guessing if you called them and said "Look, I'm sorry about the interview, I had just lost someone close to me," they would understand and possibly give you a do-over. If they did not, that's not a place you want to work.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I can commiserate, Chive. Many moons ago, a colleague of my dad's died, and my parents were abroad on holiday. If I could, I would have attended his funeral on their behalf, but I had a scheduled driving test, which I failed. My excuse was that I was thinking, I really should be in the Cathedral at the moment (although if I'm honest, maybe I just wasn't a very good driver).

I passed next time - I'd like to think that M. was looking out for me from heaven. [Big Grin]

Hope your next interview goes better. [Votive]

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

(((Chive)))

Have been in similar situations and that amount of sadness / anxiety definitely prevents you from showing your true skills.
Prayers for the next interview [Votive]

ps Am starting the famous new job on Monday and am scared (and worried I made the wrong choice in leaving my current role). I will try and stay positive but atm I am inwardly screaming for help (and trying to find a property to buy, too)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lia:

ps Am starting the famous new job on Monday and am scared (and worried I made the wrong choice in leaving my current role). I will try and stay positive but atm I am inwardly screaming for help (and trying to find a property to buy, too)

Heavy. I remember getting a job which paid enough for me to buy my first flat. The convergence of the two meant I spent the initial weeks in the new job covered in nettle rash.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You got nettle-rash from your first flat??? [Eek!]

Lia, I hope everything goes well with the new job and the house-hunting; I can sympathise, as we're currently house-hunting, and when we get back from holiday, I'll be looking for a job as well.

They say that moving house and changing jobs are two of the most stressful life-events you can have, so you absolutely have my prayers that yours go smoothly on both counts.

[Votive]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had an interview on Monday that I really, really wanted to get. School that I student taught at. Great relationships with many people there. Found out today I didn't get it. It's affecting me rather badly.

Had another interview today, but it's only a 0.7 FTE position. Good school. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Currently the only thing on the table.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

oh crap.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

For future reference, ringing an interviewing company and saying it is the same day as a close friends funeral would you mind rearranging is a good strategy.

If you're going to do this, be specific. Say that you've suffered a bereavement and that the funeral is that day. Don't ask to reschedule for unspecified "personal reasons" or you'll sound like a total flake.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
You got nettle-rash from your first flat??? [Eek!]

Not specifically. From the combined stress of starting a new job and committing every penny I didn't have to buying an unknown quantity I wasn't even sure I wanted.

Oddly, that has not recurred. My psychosomatic responses have moved on to larger and grander projects I fancy.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes to Lia with the new job and flat hunting.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job, mousethief and chive. Commiserations.

I am still bogged down working, procrastination are us, rewriting reports for tutors who I have said for years, in some cases, are not up to the job and need to go, knowing full well that no-one is going in September, other than those capable of getting a new job. This isn't as impossible as it sounds as many of the tutors are on temporary contracts and we have had a number of students move on with far fewer replacing them. I, in theory, have a much better paid permanent job in September. I am so far unconvinced that the higher powers are going to approve this in the budget.

I need to stop procrastinating and start job applications. There's one I really fancy, but I probably don't stand a chance. However I have no chance at all if I don't put an application in.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck for everyone job hunting, and commiserations for those who didn't get jobs they really wanted. I know how much that hurts, specially if it is somewhere where you already ahve connections.
I retire in October, and at present am dithering about whether or not to look for a temp Christmas job to top up my pension.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

Thank you guys!! It is so good to know someone understands how stressful this is.

Firenze - thank you for sharing that [Smile] . It made me smile and I feel very similarly re the options for my property purchase. Not sure I really want any of them but I can't be too picky in London...and I know I am lucky to have options!

Best of luck to all hunters - It took such a long time to find a job I think I want and I remember the despair of the process very well. It sounds trite, but don't give up! Prayers coming your way. [Votive]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New interview Monday 13:20 Seattle time. Already interviewed twice with this district. Was offered the first job and turned it down for problems the current job shares. (Didn't get offered the second job.) But that was over a month ago, and the school year is very nigh.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Thank you for the prayers. If ever there was a time I've felt prayed for, this was it.

I got a job offer yesterday and it was for a role that has potential to go places, if I can keep my nerve. I'm really excited about it.

Have I mentioned [Yipee] ?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yay, got the job! The school year has already started so I'm a bit behind the 8 ball. I will start in the classroom on Tuesday (for non-US types, Monday is a holiday). I still don't have an email or access to the online grading or anything. I'm hoping that will get sorted tomorrow, but we'll see.

The important thing is that I have a job, in a good district, under a good principal (according to a friend who's been in the district 18 years). I will be teaching an elective course and not a required course (intro to having fun with computers basically), and one that looks like a blast. I'm very much looking forward to it!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a blast, mousethief! I miss the classroom so badly!

My nephew finally landed what looks like a good job after two whole years of searching in vain. He has Asperger's syndrome -- pray that he can cope and that they'll love him.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That job sounds good all round, Mousethief. Congratulations.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Brilliant news mousethief

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Brilliant news Mousetheif, sounds fun. Good news about your nephew too, Miss Amanda.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

MT and Miss A [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Votive] [Votive]
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Yipee] [Big Grin] [Ultra confused] [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Mousethief - hope it's everything you hope it is. [Smile]

Also congrats to Miss Amanda's nephew. [Yipee]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw your news Mousethief [Yipee]

Have fun!

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news mousethief - may it all go splendidly!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful, Mousethief!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

I got the second job I interviewed for. [Big Grin] Which is a very good thing as I was bored out my mind of applications.

Now I just have to keep the anxiety of starting a new job at bay and think through the finances of reducing my income by a third. It is manageable and the pay off of no more shift work and no more commute and interesting work is definitely worth it.

Thank you all for all your support and advice.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations chive and best wishes for the new job!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done! Hope you settle in quickly to changed circumstances.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No more shift work and no more commuting?

It definitely sounds worth it!

Every good wish for that, chive.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016